• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Strimei

To anyone that knows, is there a large collection of costumes for the characters in P5? I've seen a fair amount, though mostly DLC/SMT-themed ones.

I'm sure there is a lot, but I just want to make sure. I like having a variety!

To anyone that knows, is there a large collection of costumes for the characters in P5? I've seen a fair amount, though mostly DLC/SMT-themed ones.

I'm sure there is a lot, but I just want to make sure. I like having a variety!

I believe that all the dungeon costumes are dlc.

DNAbro

Gotta make that money.

I already want a lot of the DLC once it comes out here cause I have no self control. Some of the DLC music is so good.

So I think I just ruined Beneath The Mask for myself.

I was trying to write out the lyrics and I'm fairly certain one of the lines is
"at Poe's masquerade."

At first glance that makes 0 sense, right?

Well, I eventually thought, "Well, this game already has a bunch of literary references, maybe this song really is referencing
one of Poe's works.

And well I looked and, there's this.

There's a line in the song that goes
"just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside"
which lines up with the linked work.

Of course, the linked work is often read as a metaphor for the inevitability of death, but that's not this game's theme. :p

It's also, you know, really creepy.

Setsu00

So I think I just ruined Beneath The Mask for myself.

I was trying to write out the lyrics and I'm fairly certain one of the lines is
"at Poe's masquerade."

At first glance that makes 0 sense, right?

Well, I eventually thought, "Well, this game already has a bunch of literary references, maybe this song really is referencing
one of Poe's works.

And well I looked and, there's this.

There's a line in the song that goes
"just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside"
which lines up with the linked work.

Of course, the linked work is often read as a metaphor for the inevitability of death, but that's not this game's theme. :p

It's also, you know, really creepy.

I'm pretty sure that the line that you're referring to is exactly what you just wrote. Someone transcribed the lyrics on TVTropes, but that part never worked for me.
"At Poe's mascarade"
makes perfect sense especially since the Velvet Room is similiar to the first room mentioned in the Poe story.

CthU_W2UAAA9mLK.jpg

It's consoling to know that he's significantly older than me and that I haven't seen his art from his early twenties, but even then he's just much more talented than I am.

hghhh I can relate. I'm 23 atm and try and my art progress is... slow. I still really like your stuff tho, so keep it up.

That's encouraging to hear, thanks. Do you have a place where you post your art?

Kind of? I sometimes dump sketches onto my personal twitter but they tend to get buried under shitposting. I'm planning on setting up an art tumblr or something once I have more confidence in my skills.

daevious

Considering that most Japanese games fall off a cliff sales-wise after the first week, that's really damn impressive.

Japan trying to keep it's track record of having more Persona sales, clearly. :p

so those catherine and swimsuit costumes...I need them all. Hopefully the Catherine ones are free here as well. Makoto with Katherine's outfit looks so good

Makio

With those recent previous works with Valerie Arem im not surprised , actually part of me was thinking he was the one who gonna work in Igor "new" voice but it seems he had another role ,anyway it was a name i always had in mind no matter the role

Hopefully a sign the dub is already finish or advance enough to show off some in a trailer or start to giving credits to VA so we dont have to guess later on.

---------------

Plus kinda on topic not only im surprised how solid the dub in SMT Apocalypse is , but how there more "fresh" talent in main roles mixing with "Atlus" regulars , names i dont remember in an Atlus game before like Max Mittleman , Ericka Lindbeck , Xander Mobus, Sarah Williams which are very talent

Really glad to see they putting more "fresh" blood in the mix , really curious to see which names end up as party members and seeing previous PCB directed games notice names like Carrie Keranen , Ben Diskin , Kaiji Tang , Mittleman, Kira Buckland got real chances to end up in the game like i been saying for almost a year , got me more curious...

(Still hoping for some "surprise" like Cristina Vee or Lauren Landa)

Dantis

Finished P5.

88 hours.

It's a pretty surreal feeling.

I'll write up my thoughts at some point, but I can safely say it's an incredible game. There's some weird pacing, and the finale is kind of anticlimactic, but it's still tremendous.

I was surprised to see Cold Steel actually having the English cast in the credits too. Would be nice if P5 does the same.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind P5 reusing more of the cast from that game.

Nachos

If I remember right, DC Douglas listed Zero Time Dilemma on his resume about eight months before the game came out. He's not always consistent about updating his resume, but when he does, most of them are for titles months away, which I don't think I've seen any other voice actor do. The last and only time I've seen it happen for a localization was Dangan Ronpa 2, and that was only a portion of the cast.

Plus kinda on topic not only im surprised how solid the dub in SMT Apocalypse is , but how there more "fresh" talent in main roles mixing with "Atlus" regulars , names i dont remember in an Atlus game before like Max Mittleman , Ericka Lindbeck , Xander Mobus, Sarah Williams which are very talent
All of those actors you listed are new to Atlus, but what made me more excited about Apocalypse's cast was Jalen Cassell, who barely has any roles at all, yet was a pitch-perfect match for Krishna. If we can get more newcomers of his caliber in P5, then I'd be really happy. PCB's been really keen on experimenting with new people lately, though.

Dantis

Yep.

Meguro did all the vocal tracks also, in case anyone was wondering.

Also the credits features new Soejima art of the characters, which is nice.

Mediking

Literally just started Persona 1. Here's some quick impressions...

I love the cool music for the cinematic that plays before you get to the start screen.

Meguro is the composer and the director??? Ohhh hype!

Kazuma Kaneko is behind the designs? I really like this artstyle.

The P1 main guy has a great design. Very tempted to change my avatar to him if I grow attached to him more than Minato.

Elly? The original Mitsuru, maybe?

I bet on Brown. Sorry, Mark.

Yukino looks cool.

Just got to the enter your name part. No Igor? Instead I met a guy who reminds me of Vega from Street Fighter. The enter your name music is so peaceful and good. Ohmygawd...

Zolo

Just remember that who you choose as your team member later on is who you're stuck with. General recommendations are to go with Elly though there's a hidden character that has specific requirements.

Sophia

Just got to the enter your name part. No Igor? Instead I met a guy who reminds me of Vega from Street Fighter. The enter your name music is so peaceful and good. Ohmygawd...

Igor's there. The man you met is named Philemon, and he's Igor's master.

Dantis

My non-spoiler thoughts on Persona 5:

It cannot be overstated that this is a brilliant game. Alongside everything else on the JRPG scene at the moment, I don't know of anything that even comes close to the level of polish and design and art that Persona 5 exudes from its very core. Like Persona 3 and 4, it always feels like every aspect of it matches up with every other. The music and the art tie together in a way that almost never happens.

Gameplay has been mentioned by pretty much everyone, but basically it's brilliant. The dungeons are long and interesting, and usually pleasing to look at. The puzzles they add are almost never frustrating and in their best moments really add some variety to standard dungeon crawling.

As an aside, I didn't know how much I wanted to have demons added in as enemies as opposed to Shadows. It adds variety and makes it slot back into the MegaTen spinoff feel alongside games like DDS. As a long time player it's also great to see demons I remember, and then see them act the same way they did back in Nocturne and DDS. The fear I experienced when I encountered three Thoths was the real deal.

The battle system is largely intact, particularly if you've played P4G. Things like navigator participation and follow up attacks from those not in the party make a welcome appearance, but contextualised in a less obnoxious way than in P4G. No riding in on mopeds here, boys.
Demon negotiation is fine, and functions as a reliable way to obtain the specific demon that you want, which makes a nice change.
The hostage taking, however, which is basically reverse negotiation, is really not good, but it happens so rarely that it's not something to worry about. In my 88 hours of game time, I experienced it maybe four times?
Side-note: You can get MegaTen'd again, which I don't know how people are going to react to. There were a couple of times that I lost progress because a single move didn't go how I planned and then I got insta wiped by a random mob.

S Links function a lot more similarly than I think we were led to believe, but I think that's fine. I have no idea if the stories that they tell are any good, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

The soundtrack is excellent, though I'm surprised by how limited it is once again. Due to the long length of development and the fact that Meguro hasn't really scored anything since P4G, I had expected like a 6-disc epic, but there's actually no more music than Persona 4. You're hearing the same battle theme all through the game. Under The Mask (the nighttime theme) plays throughout the whole game too, so expect to hear it a lot.
Music is less catchy and more ambient this time around, and tracks are full length, so the feeling of repetition doesn't set in as quickly, but more variety would have still been appreciated.
Dungeon music is exceptional, which is a pleasant surprise. Meguro hasn't composed dungeon themes of this quality in a looong time, and it's a huge step up from P4's largely mediocre performance.
My two criticisms of the OST are that :-
A) The Mementos theme is terrible. Straight up. It's like a 40 second loop that goes on and on and on. It's awful. I'll honestly be surprised if it turns out that Meguro wrote it. I feel like he's better than this.
B) The final boss theme is surprisingly weak. It's not bad, but it pales in comparison to The Battle for Everyone's Souls and fog. It's a pretty straightforward track, and it really lacks power or finality.

The visuals are excellent, despite being technically lacking. The colours really pop, and everything genuinely does look super stylish. Scene composition is lovely, and the amount of character that the simple animations convey is wonderful. This is especially apparent in save rooms and hideouts, where characters are left to do their own thing. Anne sits on a table with her legs crossed in a casual way, whilst Yusuke contemplates in the corner, occasionally framing up the scene. It looks really great, and I so hope that they add a screenshot function at some point.

The game is really long. Like I say, it took me ~88 hours to complete. That's doing all the Mementos floors pretty thoroughly, and not skippng voiced dialogue. Because of the dungeon design things never get boring, and the escalation as the thieves take on higher and higher risk jobs means that the pace moves along much more nicely than the stop-start of previous games. The one exception is towards the end, when the game throws boss after boss after boss at you, which I personally found quite exhausting. Consecutive boss fights show up quite often in this section too, which heightens the stress. On the plus side, it does add some challenge, so at least the game isn't a cakewalk.

The individual dungeon stories are good. The first one, I think, will go down as a classic moment that people will remember, as well as dungeon 5, which is also excellent.
The overarching story is... not great. It's pretty silly, mostly predictable, and sometimes frustrating. The antagonists are incredibly evil, but also rather flat. Attempts to humanise what are definitively evil characters is pretty cringey, and the final boss is really dumb. It's not, like, terrible, but it's worse than Persona 4's, in my opinion.

The cast (from what I could tell) seems great. None of them feel like repeats of previous characters, and I was genuinely surprised how mature they seem relative to the silly nature of the game. I'm not sold on Morgana, in large part due to her constant presence, but that could definitely change when I play the English release.

Overall, it's, well, brilliant. It's what a Persona game should be, and largely it feels like a sequel to Persona 4. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it does smoothen it out. I found the final act to be pretty poor from a narrative perspective, but that's more due to my hope that it would rise above previous games, and it really is my only real fault with the game (It's also worht saying that the ending itself is really nice).

It's definitely a new Persona game, and I had forgotten how much I needed to play one again. I'm not convinced that it's a better game than Persona 3 and Persona 4, but it's up there alongside them. Hopefully when I play the English release the characters will hold up just as well.

Strimei

Thanks for the thoughts Dantis. I look forward to having a real long game to sink my teeth in again. I was talking with a friend about how long it took both of us to finish P3/P4 (for me, I was about 110 hours in P3P, but it was my very first Persona/SMT game so I blundered about quite a bit), and I really loved having something to play for so long.

I asked this a few days ago but since you played you should know, what's the costume situation? Is it like P4G with oodles of costumes, or are they all DLC/Atlus-themed?

mdubs

Banned

Great to hear your thoughts. Question: Are there
multiple endings or branching paths like Persona 4? And if so are they easy to screw up or is it fairly obvious how to get the true ending if there is one
(apologies to everyone if this has already been answered in other threads, haven't been following them too closely).

Dantis

For reference, here are my play times:

Persona 3 - ~80 hours
Persona 4 - 65 hours
Persona 4 Golden - 50 hours

Great to hear your thoughts. Question: Are there
multiple endings or branching paths like Persona 4? And if so are they easy to screw up or is it fairly obvious how to get the true ending if there is one
(apologies to everyone if this has already been answered in other threads, haven't been following them too closely).

Nope! There's
one bad end
, but it's really easy to avoid.

I asked this a few days ago but since you played you should know, what's the costume situation? Is it like P4G with oodles of costumes, or are they all DLC/Atlus-themed?

All DLC, but personally I'm loving the themed sets. They're doing it right in my opinion.

Makio

Heck, I bet we're going to get like half of the Cold Steel actors in on here since Valerie Arem voice directed those games too
Gimme Kira Buckland as Futaba let's go

But yeah, I wouldn't mind P5 reusing more of the cast from that game (Cold Steel)

No kidding i can literally put together a Persona 5 main cast with actors from those games

Joker : Xander Mobus (this guy can nail Arsene and looks young enough to voice a teenager)
Anne : Rachel Kimsey / Marisha Ray (yeah Margaret)
Ryuji : Kaiji Tang / Max Mittleman
Morgana : Cassandra Lee Morris (almost confirmed anyway)
Yusuke : Edward Bosco / Benjamin Diskin
Makoto : Carrie Keranen / Erica Mendez (DONT LOSE YOUR WAY !!!)
Futaba : Kira Buckland / Xanthe Huynh (underrated actress)
Haru : Ericka Lindbeck / Rena Strober
Goro : Sean Chiplock / Robbie Daymond

I wouldnt be surprised or mad if got most of the names right even if they end up in other roles (like npc and such) but is a really solid list pretty much names i would bet on and love to end up in the dub

convo

The thing with comparing P3 and P4 to P5 is that i have had enough of the plot and characters of the former. There is point i have reached where i have heard enough of those same old characters that i have let it go and moved on. Having a discussion about them becomes undesirable to me since i don't care about looking back anymore and why i don't care about seeing those P3 movies which seem alright. I look forward to a different setting with new characters in P5 when i get through it myself. I can't wait for more new things from Atlus, gotta make use of those new 3D Demon models. But i expect them to ride the P5 train for a little while before announcing anything entirely new.

Sophia

Side-note: You can get MegaTen'd again, which I don't know how people are going to react to. There were a couple of times that I lost progress because a single move didn't go how I planned and then I got insta wiped by a random mob.

6a00d8345295c269e201atjjnb.jpg

It's not an Atlus game unless everything is trying to kill you.

Top Bottom