• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

ehead

7. Vampire Hunter D (1985)
Glorious rewatch, this movie fucking rocks in every regard. Sci-fi vampire wasteland fantasy action with a strong sense of mythos and atmosphere? Yes please. Incredible animation.
This is one of my favorite vampire movies and definitely one of the better feature animated films.

8. The Thing (1982)
Glorious rewatch via the recent BLU release... One my favorite movies ever. If you're even slightly interested in horror or science fiction you've either seen it or know you should.
Another excellent choice. I might re-watch it too for this list.

Aiii

So not worth it
#1 - P.O.V. - A Cursed Film (2012) - 3.5/5
#2 - Satanic (2016) - 0/5
#3 - The Shining (1980) -5/5

1athe_awakening_02jaua2.jpg

#4 - The Awakening (2011)
Rebecca Hall plays a ghost hoax exposer in 1921, who gets recruited to investigate a haunting in an all-boys school. Shenanigans ensue, as you might expect. A really nice English genre horror that doesn't really rely on special effects or jump scares, but mostly does some nice suspense. Nothing too special, though. Just fun if you like suspense and a decent story. Acting by both Hall and the supporting cast, including The Wire's Dominic West and Imelda Staunton, are very well done. All in all, I give it a solid 3 ghostly photographs out of 5.

beanman25

2 movies thus far!

The Neon Demon and Bride of Frankenstein. Loved both so much!

But my GOD!
The ending of Neon Demon is phenomenal. I had no clue what was going to happen! The shots, music, characters! So great.

Any movies similar to that one?

Drinkel

#1 Hush
Recommended.

#2 Demonic
Recommended.

#3 The Fog
Highly Recommended.

#4 I spit on your grave
I have mixed feelings about this movie. It a very exploitative movie since it's a very raw rape revenge story that I'm not sure what it's going for. Sometimes it feels like it tries to be a commentary on toxic masculinity and sometimes it feels like a pure revenge empowerment film. I don't feel like it's too successful in either department and that weird middle ground just leaves a kind of gross feeling. Reminds me of the Woman without the style and a less effective buildup. It also has some of the most weird out of place CG ravens I've seen in a long time. Also two of the movies I've seen so far has had the protagonist be a white women writer who starts living in a house in the forest to focus on their next book. Weird coincidence. Not Recommended.

2 movies thus far!

But my GOD!
The ending of Neon Demon is phenomenal. I had no clue what was going to happen! The shots, music, characters! So great.

Suspiria and Deep Red. Blood and Black Lace.

2 movies thus far!

But my GOD!

I loved both movies as well.

If you enjoyed Neon Demon, I think you might enjoy Under the Skin. It's creepy and bizarre in a similar way, and just as symbolic.

6) Hatchet for the Honeymoon - (Mario Bava, 1970)

"My name is John Harrington. I'm 30 years old. I'm a paranoiac. Paranoiac. An enchanting word, so civilized, full of possibilities. The truth is, I am completely mad."

Bava delivers a much stronger film here than with Five Dolls for an August Moon, released the same year. Typically his films have all been very externally motivated, so I was impressed with how well he tackled a very psychologically rooted film. There's the typical stilted dialogue and wooden acting that hold it back from all it can be of course, but there are a lot of interesting ideas here, like a menagerie of freudian nightmares and genuine psychosis. Brett Easton Ellis was most assuredly a fan of this film too, because there are a number of moments in this that American Psycho most assuredly riffs on. The protagonist himself is like a cross between Patrick Bateman and Norman Bates. Bava's visuals are perhaps a little more subdued than in his other films, but he still has a number of striking shots, and there's one brilliant murder/suspense sequence around halfway through that's the best Hitchockian sequence done since Blood and Black Lace. A flawed, but very solid entry in the Bava canon. I'm hoping I'll come across another of his films that hits the same highs that his 60's output did, perhaps A Bay of Blood?

Oh, and *disclaimer*: this movie features no hatchets of any kind. It does however make good use of a cleaver.

Tonight's viewing is one that I'm particularly excited for, since I've been waiting all year to see it since it only hit theaters in my area for one day: The Wailing. Amazon should be dropping off the disc any moment now.

lordxar

5) Hatchet for the Honeymoon - (Mario Bava, 1970)

"My name is John Harrington. I'm 30 years old. I'm a paranoiac. Paranoiac. An enchanting word, so civilized, full of possibilities. The truth is, I am completely mad."

Bava delivers a much stronger film here than with Five Dolls for an August Moon, released the same year. Typically his films have all been very externally motivated, so I was impressed with how well he tackled a very psychologically rooted film. There's the typical stilted dialogue and wooden acting that hold it back from all it can be of course, but there are a lot of interesting ideas here, like a menagerie of freudian nightmares and genuine psychosis. Brett Easton Ellis was most assuredly a fan of this film too, because there are a number of moments in this that American Psycho most assuredly riffs on. The protagonist himself is like a cross between Patrick Bateman and Norman Bates. Bava's visuals are perhaps a little more subdued than in his other films, but he still has a number of striking shots, and there's one brilliant murder/suspense sequence around halfway through that's the best Hitchockian sequence done since Blood and Black Lace. A flawed, but very solid entry in the Bava canon. I'm hoping I'll come across another of his films that hits the same highs that his 60's output did, perhaps A Bay of Blood?

Oh, and *disclaimer*: this movie features no hatchets of any kind. It does however make good use of a cleaver.

Tonight's viewing is one that I'm particularly excited for, since I've been waiting all year to see it since it only hit theaters in my area for one day: The Wailing. Amazon should be dropping off the disc any moment now.

I loved HftH. It wasn't a particularly great movie but the whole thing was just fun and it goes in far different directions than I ever expected.

I loved HftH. It wasn't a particularly great movie but the whole thing was just fun and it goes in far different directions than I ever expected.

Yeah, I went in expecting a standard giallo/slasher, but this is really anything but. It does a great job of subverting expectations and going to some very weird places (even if the "reveal" itself is super predictable)

04/10/16
Film 6
Santa’s Slay

This is a terrible movie that starts off actually really well. In the opening ten minutes we have delightfully foul mouthed old ladies, Bill Goldberg’s badass Santa channelling Ludacris, Emilie de Ravin spreading some festive cheer and
an uncredited James Caan getting his hands pinned to the dinner table before being choked to death with a turkey leg
by jolly old St NIck (who in this reality is literally the spawn of Satan). It’s funny and dumb and awesomely over the top.

Unfortunately the film gets very bad very quickly.

For a while it resembles an extended holiday episode of a terrible sitcom about a boy and his crackpot inventor grandfather interspersed with everything that is wrong with wrestling, before dissolving into a Santa-as-Terminator shitfest wrapped around the single least convincing teenage romance ever committed to celluloid. Plus we have a little bit of homophobia, some glaring continuity errors, a bunch of the worst effects I’ve seen in a very long time and some misogyny in a titty bar to add to the merry mix. I feel I should also mention that the sport of curling is crucial to the plot.

As far as I can tell, in the 12 years since this film came out, debut writer/director David Steiman hasn’t made anything else. I’m not ever so surprised, and I feel bad about that as he comes across as quite a nice guy in the special feature docs. But this film is a stinker.

Great soundtrack though.

Films I've watched so far

Aiii

So not worth it
#1 - P.O.V. - A Cursed Film (2012) - 3.5/5
#2 - Satanic (2016) - 0/5
#3 - The Shining (1980) - 5/5
#4 - The Awakening (2011) - 3/5

tunecore-teketeke43sa4.jpg

#5 - Teketeke (2009)
Somewhat based on the Japanese urban legend of the same name. The legend goes that Teketeke haunts and murders you after you hear the story, a young woman who committed suicide by jumping off of an overpass, and subsequently got cut in half. This movie follows a teenage girl who hears the story along with her best friend and cousin. The latter is subsequently cut in half on an overpass by Teketeke. When the protagonist goes to the scene of the crime at night the day after, she sees the TekeTeke herself, but manages to evade getting murdered by escaping on a friends bike. However, even if you manage to escape the initial attack, you still die exactly three days later regardless. The clock is ticking as the protagonist tries to find a way to survive.

A really low-budget horror film in the vain of movies like Ringu and Ju-On. The special effects are corny, the acting hammy, and it's filmed in only a handful of locations. Yet still I loved every second of it. Movie is open-ended, since there is a sequel that came out right after this. So, to be continued. First part gets a solid 2.5/5 for just being fun.

1x02-Dreams-in-the-Witch-House-masters-of-horror-12382238-500-281.jpg

4. Dreams in the Witch-house

This is part of the Masters of Horror series, so it's more of a TV episode than a full-blown feature film. However, it is 55 minutes long, which means it counts per thread rules.

I thought it was an unimpressive but decent and enjoyable adaptation of Lovecraft's story. They did a decent job updating the story to present day (present day meaning 2005.) Sadly, there is no single stand out feature or performance, but the pacing is pretty consistent throughout thanks to its length. The special and gore effects were what I would expect by the TV standards of the era. I had a good time for the most part.

2/5 stars.

GhaleonEB

04/10/16
Film 6
Santa’s Slay

This is a terrible movie that starts off actually really well. In the opening ten minutes we have delightfully foul mouthed old ladies, Bill Goldberg’s badass Santa channelling Ludacris, Emilie de Ravin spreading some festive cheer and
an uncredited James Caan getting his hands pinned to the dinner table before being choked to death with a turkey leg
by jolly old St NIck (who in this reality is literally the spawn of Satan). It’s funny and dumb and awesomely over the top.

Unfortunately the film gets very bad very quickly.

I watched this one a few years ago for one of the marathons, and agree entirely. Was looking forward to it after seeing the opening scene on youtube, which as you said is the only good scene in the entire movie. It really craters.

I feel bad whenever I critique child actors, but in this case, the lead kid was truly awful. There's a scene where (spoiler!) his grandfather - or uncle? don't remember - is killed brutally and all he can muster is a look of mild disappointment. Like he got the wrong color socks; he's over it by the next scene. Kinda dampens the emotional investment.
1x02-Dreams-in-the-Witch-House-masters-of-horror-12382238-500-281.jpg

4. Dreams in the Witch-house

This is part of the Masters of Horror series, so it's more of a TV episode than a full-blown feature film. However, it is 55 minutes long, which means it counts per thread rules.

I thought it was an unimpressive but decent and enjoyable adaptation of Lovecraft's story. They did a decent job updating the story to present day (present day meaning 2005.) Sadly, there is no single stand out feature or performance, but the pacing is pretty consistent throughout thanks to its length. The special and gore effects were what I would expect by the TV standards of the era. I had a good time for the most part.

2/5 stars.
If you are interested in the Masters of Horror series, I suggest The Fair-Haired Child.

#5 Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - I hadn't seen this one in a few years. A fun, film that really revels in trying to blur the lines between the slasher films we grew up with, and the real world. Can't believe it's been out for a decade already.

BioHazard

#5 Night Creatures (1962)

OJ91tB5.png

Aka Captain Clegg. My first film of the recently released 8-Pack Hammer horror blu ray. Not a much a horror film as the title or poster would lead you to believe. Peter Cushing is a vicor at a small swamp town supposedly haunted by a band of skeleton demons on horseback. A small military force investigates and discovers much more than demons. Would recommend.

4/5

List of films so far

I feel bad whenever I critique child actors, but in this case, the lead kid was truly awful. There's a scene where (spoiler!) his grandfather - or uncle? don't remember - is killed brutally and all he can muster is a look of mild disappointment. Like he got the wrong color socks; he's over it by the next scene. Kinda dampens the emotional investment.

He was pretty damn bad I agree. I was sure I'd seen him in something else before so I looked him up, and it seems he's had fairly regular work since he made Santa's Slay. I'm quite surprised by that I must admit, but good luck to him I guess!

5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

The series tries to move away from the Michael Myers slashers, and while it didn't work at the box office, I wish it did. It's a nice mystery that deals with people potentially dying on Halloween night in keeping with the first two movies. I do like this movie, despite the 37/25 on RT. The problem is that the whole evil plan is stupid. It requires that every single child wear one of three masks, and not dress up as anything else. I can just imagine the conversation.

"Daddy, I wanna be Indiana Jones for Halloween!"
"No, you're going to have a Jack O' Lantern head and you're going to watch this Silver Shamrock giveaway at 9 o'clock!"

What's this giveaway thing about anyway? Things I would like to note:

1. Daniel reminds me of Zapp Rowsdower (The Final Sacrifice) but with shorter hair.
2. Androids that run on orange juice.
3. The first Halloween movie is a movie in this story. Which is a weird decision to make. Kinda wish they would have made an off-handed reference to Michael Myers or the Haddonfield killings instead or something.

Full list

Next up: The first 4 Friday the 13th movies

3. The Monster Squad (1987)

X2DAjqc.jpg

Love this film. It's great to watch especially if you have someone if your family who doesn't like horror movies. It's semi light hearted with great action and classic lines. I don't know but I'll go out on a limb and say this movie ranks right up there with The Goonies IMO although MS doesn't get its due.

4. John Carpenter's They Live (1988)

TeOnCJn.jpg

Another cult classic about aliens who take over the world and brainwash the human race with subliminal messages. I forgot that Piper died last July so I was hoping to dedicate this one to him. This is an action-horror flick, great fight scene with Keith David (there is a back body drop involved), and one very original, if at sometimes goofy, plot.

lordxar

Don't Torture A Duckling. I thought this looked kind of stupid by the description and the kind of shitty doll in the movie poster but holy shit was this a masterpiece. The story was pretty damn good and aside from some slightly obvious dolls for kids this was a really good movie. Highly recommend this.

MV5BOTU4MTMzMzYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM3MzI0MQ@@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Don't Torture A Duckling. I thought this looked kind of stupid by the description and the kind of shitty doll in the movie poster but holy shit was this a masterpiece. The story was pretty damn good and aside from some slightly obvious dolls for kids this was a really good movie. Highly recommend this.

MV5BOTU4MTMzMzYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM3MzI0MQ@@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Still my favorite Lucio Fulci movie by far.

Don't torture Donald Duck!

The Faculty is amazing and I laugh at how sexy it is.

9. Waxwork (1988)
First watch knowing nothing but the title and cover and its very unsexy despite so much of its plot revolving around sex. I was pleasantly surprised to learn it was an
anthology
film and enjoyed how weird it progressed, but the connective tissue and renditions themselves basically predate cheesy nineties action television serials.

David Warner is great as usual.

Teketeke (2009)
Never even heard of it and now I want more!

Aikidoka

(1) The Witch

(2) The Babadook
Overall The Babadook is pretty good. I absolutely love the aesthetic. I am a bit conflicted about it - feeling that the ending may have dropped the ball.
My idea of what was happening throughout the movie was that Mister Babadook was simply a split persona of Amelia. She used to write children's stories and Mister Babadook manifest as a children's story. Her psyche is getting more and more frayed closer to the anniversary of her husband's death, and the movie is pretty clear on her having grief-driven hallucinations, etc... The movie seems to give lots of evidence for this conclusion. However, feeding of the worms to the Badadook just doesn't really make sense with this interpretation, or at least seems like a needless aspect of that scene. That scene, to me, only served to show that she is trying to soothe her inner rage/grief, and I really have no clue how feeding it worms fits in. It makes it seem that The Babadook is actually a separate manifested entity, which I think would be a shame.
Also, the movie didn't really address that she killed her dog and nearly murdered her child. The mother and son just keep on as normal, which is pretty fucked up. Mental health problems can't be fixed so easily, and I wish the movie at least acknowledged that with some foreboding elements or something.

BioHazard

#6 Evils of the Night (1985)

g7dP1a9.png

John Caradine and his group of nurses land on Earth and discretely take over an old abandoned hospital. They hire a couple of local rednecks, Aldo Ray and his buddy to abduct local, horny college kids to bring back to the aliens to drain all their blood. Yep, it's pretty crazy

3/5

List of films so far

Steamlord

(1) The Witch

(2) The Babadook

Overall The Babadook is pretty good. I absolutely love the aesthetic. I am a bit conflicted about it - feeling that the ending may have dropped the ball.
My idea of what was happening throughout the movie was that Mister Babadook was simply a split persona of Amelia. She used to write children's stories and Mister Babadook manifest as a children's story. Her psyche is getting more and more frayed closer to the anniversary of her husband's death, and the movie is pretty clear on her having grief-driven hallucinations, etc... The movie seems to give lots of evidence for this conclusion. However, feeding of the worms to the Badadook just doesn't really make sense with this interpretation, or at least seems like a needless aspect of that scene. That scene, to me, only served to show that she is trying to soothe her inner rage/grief, and I really have no clue how feeding it worms fits in. It makes it seem that The Babadook is actually a separate manifested entity, which I think would be a shame.
Also, the movie didn't really address that she killed her dog and nearly murdered her child. The mother and son just keep on as normal, which is pretty fucked up. Mental health problems can't be fixed so easily, and I wish the movie at least acknowledged that with some foreboding elements or something.

I'm OK with
the Babadook being both an actual entity and a manifestation of Amelia's grief. It can be both, that's part of the magic of movies. As for your second point, I agree, it bothered me that they basically told the people from child protective services "lol, you suck, I'm totally keeping my kid whom I tried to murder." It was definitely my least favorite part of the movie. Way too tidy and upbeat considering everything that happened before. Maybe if there were some mention of them both getting therapy or something, anything to suggest that they're actually healing mentally and the cycle isn't just going to repeat itself.

Love this movie. Never thought Fulci could do Giallo that well, but both this and New York Ripper proved me wrong.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Watching Sleepy Hollow. Saw a movie called Baby Blues and said "fuck that" after seeing the preview pictures. ._.

I don't know man, the doll-kid kinda makes that image creepier for me. Like everything about it, including the fuckin title, freaks me out. Can't wait to watch it a little down the line.

DogDude

5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

The series tries to move away from the Michael Myers slashers, and while it didn't work at the box office, I wish it did. It's a nice mystery that deals with people potentially dying on Halloween night in keeping with the first two movies. I do like this movie, despite the 37/25 on RT. The problem is that the whole evil plan is stupid. It requires that every single child wear one of three masks, and not dress up as anything else. I can just imagine the conversation.

"Daddy, I wanna be Indiana Jones for Halloween!"
"No, you're going to have a Jack O' Lantern head and you're going to watch this Silver Shamrock giveaway at 9 o'clock!"

What's this giveaway thing about anyway? Things I would like to note:

1. Daniel reminds me of Zapp Rowsdower (The Final Sacrifice) but with shorter hair.
2. Androids that run on orange juice.
3. The first Halloween movie is a movie in this story. Which is a weird decision to make. Kinda wish they would have made an off-handed reference to Michael Myers or the Haddonfield killings instead or something.

Full list

Next up: The first 4 Friday the 13th movies
I've watched some horrendous horror movies over my years. In fact when I post my list it'll be mostly the absolute dredges of low budget Netflix horror. But I cannot sit though season of the witch at all. Legit may be the worst horror flick I've ever watched.

I've watched some horrendous horror movies over my years. In fact when I post my list it'll be mostly the absolute dredges of low budget Netflix horror. But I cannot sit though season of the witch at all. Legit may be the worst horror flick I've ever watched.

I certainly liked it more than V/H/S, Creep, and The Blair Witch Project.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
15 - Critters
16- Critters 2

Both enjoyable films. First movie is more enjoyable but good stuff. Will watch 3 and 4 tomorrow.

Fox Mulder

#5 The Fourth Kind (2009)

I've been looking for a good alien abduction film, and this isn't it.

Im not a huge fan of found footage but it was presented okay in the film. They just don't do much or even throw a bone of seeing an alien. the whole movie is a "dramatization" paired wuth grainy hypnosis footage and then it just ends.

It sucks there's not really any horror films involving the classic grey aliens abducting people and shit.

lordxar

Love this movie. Never thought Fulci could do Giallo that well, but both this and New York Ripper proved me wrong.

NYR might just be tomorrow nights movie.

I don't know man, the doll-kid kinda makes that image creepier for me. Like everything about it, including the fuckin title, freaks me out. Can't wait to watch it a little down the line.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is great and I actually am not knocking the effects. That photo just looks fake as shit so my expectations were not very high...but I should have known.

Penguin

Weekend Update
  1. Dead Snow 2
  2. Kill or Be Killed
  3. Monsterville 2
  4. Ghostbusters 2016
  5. Mine Games

6. Let Us Prey - a Really good thriller film. Pretty tiny in cope but does it well.

7. The Descent (Rewatch) - Been a long time since I've seen and it was on HBO on-demand. Still a really good horror movie... though premise is weird

Lose husband and kid, goes cave diving.

Quikies83

The Faculty is amazing and I laugh at how sexy it is.

9. Waxwork (1988)
First watch knowing nothing but the title and cover and its very unsexy despite so much of its plot revolving around sex. I was pleasantly surprised to learn it was an
anthology
film and enjoyed how weird it progressed, but the connective tissue and renditions themselves basically predate cheesy nineties action television serials.

David Warner is great as usual.

Never even heard of it and now I want more!

Have fond memories of hanging with one of my older buddies one night in 97 and he had randomly rented this. We loved it - 12 or 13 at the time.
I need to rewatch soon! I remember some fun, gruesome kills - one involving a werewolf.

Steamlord

7. The Descent (Rewatch) - Been a long time since I've seen and it was on HBO on-demand. Still a really good horror movie... though premise is weird

Lose husband and kid, goes cave diving.

I'm still disappointed that
after the protagonist's character arc and her descent into savagery she didn't end up taking the child troglodyte under her wing and becoming trog-mom, replacing her lost child. That's honestly where I thought it was going the first time I watched it, what with the birthday cake hallucination and all. That's way more fun than "and then they killed her."

HotHamBoy

From Stuart Gordan, the man who brought you:

re-animator-poster-artwork-jeffrey-combs-bruce-abbott-barbara-crampton.jpg

Comes the more obscure but just as campy...

From-Beyond.jpg

Starring the indelible Jeffrey Combs!

I just rewatched this movie for the second time since discovering it last year. It's got wonderfully hammy acting and excellent practical effects. Gore and uncomfortable sexual encounters abound!

As with Re-Animator, it plays fast and loose with its adaptation of Lovecraft's work, but it is no-less entertaining for it.

I give it 5 bags of popcorn.

That puts me right about here:

1) Night of the Living Dead
2) Dawn of the Dead (original)
3) Return of the Living Dead
4) Day of the Dead
5) Train to Busan
6) From Beyond.

Currently working my way through My Bloody Valentine 3D via my Gear VR.

Innocents-poster.jpg

I saw it first in August at my Drive In, but if anyone wants a real classic I suggest The Innocents (1961) which is the film version of Truman Capote's stage adaptation of Turn of the Screw. Fantastic child actors, really beautiful film. The ending is haunting AS FUCK.

My Drive In is doing a spotlight on a different director for each weekend this October.

This weekend is Hitchcock's Psycho and The Birds. Cronenberg is Videodrome and The Brood. Carpenter is Halloween and The Thing. Tim Burton's weekend is Beetlejuice and... Mars Attacks (one if these things is not like the others).

So I'll be attending those for sure. Well, probably skip Burton since it's Halloween weekend.

#5 - Teketeke (2009)
Somewhat based on the Japanese urban legend of the same name. The legend goes that Teketeke haunts and murders you after you hear the story, a young woman who committed suicide by jumping off of an overpass, and subsequently got cut in half. This movie follows a teenage girl who hears the story along with her best friend and cousin. The latter is subsequently cut in half on an overpass by Teketeke. When the protagonist goes to the scene of the crime at night the day after, she sees the TekeTeke herself, but manages to evade getting murdered by escaping on a friends bike. However, even if you manage to escape the initial attack, you still die exactly three days later regardless. The clock is ticking as the protagonist tries to find a way to survive.

A really low-budget horror film in the vain of movies like Ringu and Ju-On. The special effects are corny, the acting hammy, and it's filmed in only a handful of locations. Yet still I loved every second of it. Movie is open-ended, since there is a sequel that came out right after this. So, to be continued. First part gets a solid 2.5/5 for just being fun.

Where'd you pick this up?

I need to rewatch soon! I remember some fun, gruesome kills - one involving a werewolf.
You remember one of the best points in the movie actually, though there are a few great werewolf scenes.

10. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)
Didn't plan on watching this but we picked it out anyways, first time viewing. I love black and white movies, especially horror ones, so I always already down for the weird mood that followed. I personally would've have cut some of the more incomprehensible stuff out but it's still very enjoyable. The mystery is really well done.

3. Night of the Comet

A rather enjoyable piece of cult cinema, which was carried by the two leads who play everyday girls dealing with the end of the world. It is very much a relic from the year it was made which is both good and bad (the use of fag made me cringe). It's nice to see a film from that period that uses women as the protagonist. Night of the Comet is also quite ambitious, which hurts it because of the insane low budget. I believe the budget was around $700,000 which is minuscule when trying to depict the end of world in an empty Los Angeles that is also inhabited with zombies. Oh yeah, there's a group of scientist living in an underground bunker so let's pay for that as well.

I also feel that even though the film was ambitious, the lack of budget also hurt them in the story department. I'm all about a filmmaker being restrained and having to use imagination to overcome those issues ala Jaws, Halloween, Evil Dead. I just feel that there was more world to explore and instead of that we were given scenes to pad out the runtime while not doing anything interesting. With a little bit more cooking time, maybe the script could have been re-hauled to make those spots a little better. I loved the scene where the two leads were shopping while "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" played, that's how you make the most of your budget. Despite being a scenario that we have see way too often (a small group of survivors facing an apocalypse full of zombies), the premise still seemed fresh to me. It's a film I would mind seeing remade or better yet made into a tv show. They would have to keep the 80's aesthetic, the wittiness, and the campiness of course. I'll take my check now Hollywood.

Verdict: 7.5/10

Ridley327

October 4

The key word for A Chinese Ghost Story is "energy." For just over 90 minutes, this wonderful little mash-up of action, comedy, romance and horror dazzles with its sheer momentum as it surges through one impressive feat of low budget defiance after another. The Raimi comparisons are apt, particularly with the love of outrageous practical effects of every kind, but I feel like it's much more accurate to say that the filmmakers here are more kindred spirits than anything that could be chalked up to simply lifting from another source. The plot is simple enough yet effective, which is aided by the visual ingenuity and a surprisingly deft hand in handling all the wild mood swings the film undergoes, where one minute it can feel genuinely spooky and atmospheric, and shift right into a full-on sword battle with insane special effects for its budget, and then into something else entirely different (I dare not spoil all the surprises here). A lot of credit is also due to the core cast: Leslie Cheung is a bit of a no-brainer in terms of the talent on display, though he does pull off the aloof yet virtuous type rather well regardless of his credentials, but both Joey Wong and Wu Ma are just as compelling and fun to watch in their respective roles. Not every single scene is a winner, but it moves so quickly past anything that doesn't stack up to the film's best moments, of which there are many, that it's somewhat challenging to recall what they were in the first place. That's the crazy thing about this film: for the heights it reaches, that it does so often without impairing on the actual quality of the filmmaking, makes it nearly unbelievable that this film was actually possible. But it does exist, and all the waters it dips its toes into are all the better and more exciting for it.

Film for October 5: An old-fashioned monster movie with some slight concessions to those slasher films that were all the rage at the time, The Boogens isn't looking to be transcendent cinema, but with a tried-and-true formula and a cool setting, it hopes to offer up some much-needed charm at a time where it was practically forbidden.

Chabbles

The Witch would have been a million times better if they didn't all talk like muppets, that way of speaking, so fucking bad. The audio and visuals were great though.

Oct 4

4. Toolbox Murders 2004

No visuals for this. Toby Hooper was once a genius of horror but like so many by 2004 he had lost his touch. What's bizarre about this one is that it basically has nothing to do with the original except a toolbox of murder tools (and even then the tools stop belong the main source of kills very quickly). Some occult mumbo jump supernatural shit in this one but it remained basically unexplained and was basically a cop out in the finale. You can get away with no explaining your killer when you're a tight thriller like Black Christmas, not when you're schlock, and this was schlock.

The kills are alright, but the whole killer wears a mask is nonsensical here and the reveal is meaningless. At last they tired to have main characters in this one though.

Angela Bettis is great as always but Juliet Landeau was a wasted on this effort.

DKzVQ8Q.jpg

Chopping Mall [Oct 2]

Shopping mall employees decided to blow off steam with an after hours bash filled with gratuitous nudity, lethargic make-out sessions and bad dancing. Unfortunately for them, a bunch of murderous robots crash the proceedings. Soon the kids are dodging frickin' laser beams, cooking up explosives and packing enough heat to give Wayne LaPierre a hard on. Fast-paced, inventive and action-packed, Chopping Mall is a big hunk of 80s cheese with a great B-movie cast. Bonus points awarded for a boffo exploding head gag that's right up there with Scanners.

lrLZFra.png

Most Likely to Die [Oct 3]

Written during the slasher resurgence of the 90s, Most Likely to Die is a no frills slasher flick. With little use for self-reference, it's easy to see why this script sat around on the shelf for so damn long. It basks in being a straight as a knife dead teenager movie, and offers no apologies. The graduation gown clad killer picks off our attractive cast one by one with ridiculous kills inspired by their year book superlatives. Director Anthony DiBlasi keeps things moving at a brisk pace, brings some solid visual flair and even delivers one truly great chase sequence. Probably too much of a by the numbers affair for non-slasher fans. But for stalk and slash enthusiasts, this one is right up your alley.

LRRCY4R.jpg

Bats [Oct 4]

Genetically enhanced by a good ol' fashioned mad scientist, a bunch of killer bats unleash hell upon a small Texas town. Dumb, ridiculous and silly. The sort of thing that would be relegated to Syfy nowadays, but some lunatic executive threw a budget at and then decided to release the resulting epic on unsuspecting theater goers nationwide. The big time studio bucks bought some great looking puppet bats whipped-up by none other than KNB Effects. Features a spectacular sequence of frantic chaos and mass destruction where the titular critters attack downtown. Cars crash, panicked citizens flee and explosions rip through the night. The bats even get a couple of slasher-style stalk sequences in for good measure! Lou Diamond Phillips plays the heroic sheriff with a terrible Texas accent, penchant for cigars and passion for classical music. The script by Oscar nominated writer John Logan (!) ups the stakes to delirious levels when the military threatens to level the whole town just to kill these damn bats. The berserk finale sees our heroes chest deep in a flowing sea of guano that feels like an on-the-nose metaphor for Lou's career. Batty fun for fans of the killer animal genre.

bold first time viewing

Viewed to date:
1. The Exorcist
2. The Neon Demon

BioHazard

#7 Macabre (2009)

kTP9yTC.png

Wow. The Mo Brothers definitely are in a league of their own when it comes to current extreme horror. A group of friends spend the night at a house out in the woods. Little do they know, it will be a blood-soaked night of cannibalistic terror. Has flashes of Texas Chainsaw and New French Extremity. Features: chainsaw beheadings, pencils to the eyeball, chainsaw and sword fights, sickles, etc.

4/5

List of films so far

Top Bottom