• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 2023 |OT| There'll be food and drink and ghosts

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
tuZipSc.png

Now here is a tradition that I didn't want to see die, so I decided to create the yearly Halloween movie thread.

The old threads:

2022 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-ot-2022-nobody-is-coming-to-save-you.1642265/
2021 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-invasion-ot-the-october-movie-marathon.1619699/
2020 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-the-ravenous-ot-the-october-movie-marathon.1567775/

So come friends and fiends, post the movies or TV series you watched this month... are you shooting for 31 movies or are you a scared little child?

One rule: don't just post the title, add a little personal note!

200.gif

Let's go!

kurisu_1974

#1 Talk to Me (Australia, 2022)

MV5BYjg0MzQ1MTEtMmU1Zi00YWFmLTgxZDAtOTJhYWIzYmRmYjVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

OK horror movie that I was a bit let down by because I had some issue buying the premise, which was, I guess, some kind of comment on Instagram culture but that didn't do it for me. Some great scares and cool visuals though. Great performances too.

Day 1: The Shining

Have seen it many times of course. I think it's probably one of the most beautiful movies ever made (in terms of the craft of filmmaking), and I love a good atmosphere/tension horror movie. The detail I noticed this time is that Jack puts his wallet in his pants pocket with the open end facing up, absolute psycho behavior.

I had also seen somewhere (maybe here?) a few days ago that Ullman's office is a key point to interpreting the movie, as it cannot fit physically into the hotel and have the window it has, and I absolutely saw that this time. Might read up on it later.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Reposting from that other thread. We always do Shocktober in this house, our anniversary is on Halloween and it's actually 10 years this time round. Usually involves steak and a horror movie.

Our list for this year looks like this, can always change:

New
Talk To Me
Infinity Pool (rollover from last year)
Cobweb

Old 4K Restorations
Pet Sematary
Hellraiser 2
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
The Birds
Prince of Darkness

Misc Old
Dead Ringers
Possession
Sleepaway Camp

Will also be watching The House of the Fall of Usher on Netflix, looks ace. On top of that some Inside No. 9 episodes for when we need to kill 30 minutes.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I started 2 weeks early. Seen a bunch like Talk to me, Smile, Colors in Space, No One Will Save You, Boogeyman, Beau is Afraid, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, Cobweb, and a few others but the best ones were Smile, No One Will Save you and Beau is afraid.

Smile reminded me of It Follows which was another movie I loved and it has probably the best cheapscare ever, I usually can figure them out but god damn watching this at night on TV with my headphones shook me when that scene popped. 7.5/10

No One Will Save You was awesome, not scary, but I really liked the chick. She did an amazing job and it's insane considering there's basically no acting, you'll understand once you see it. 8/10

Beau is afraid was a different kind of horror. The first half of the movie was 9/10, it gave me anxiety, made me laugh, made me say WTF. Phenomenal acting by Phoenix and the chick that played his mom. The last half tho was mostly just WTF and kinda ruined it a bit so overall I'd say its an 8/10.

Next on my list is Run. Will come back to post how I felt about it, if I dont forget. Also obligatory will be rewatching Alien and Aliens as I do every year, maybe this time will do 3 and 4 as well. Will see.

edit: alright im bored so I'll talk about the others. Talk to me had only one fucked up moment and the rest of the movie was predictable and kinda just boring. Meh out of 10. Boogeyman was cool but it was more or less IT so eh. The Last Voyage of the Demeter had an insane premise, didnt think they could make a movie out of it, but stuck on a ship with a monster? Hello? Alien? Fucking awesome! Instead it's just bad...they also made up a new character, he's black, and spoilers,
he survives.
In Captains Log, which the movie is based on
no one survives
, that was the whole point and never throughout the entire movie did I feel fear or anxiety for the people on the ship. Kinda meh. Cobweb was ok, but again, like most horror movies, ending sucks. The teacher had a hot bod tho.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Started with John Carpenter's The Fog a few days ago.

Classic ghost story type film, fantastic atmosphere. Just a really fun movie and if you live near the coast, its double effective.

Also watched the old Disney TV movie, Tower of Terror. Love that movie. Just a fun Halloween season film that has aged well.

Not sure what I'll watch tonight but Pet Sematary 2 has been on my radar for years now, only saw it once as a kid. Also might go with Night Shift, old Stephen King adaptation and one of my favorites of his. Movie is really gross but overall it's a fun monster movie. Highly recommended.

sedg87

Banned
Watched so far
Talk to Me (2022)
House of Wax (1953)

I don't have a list that is set in stone. The only films I try to watch every Halloween are Halloween and Evil Dead 2 - My two favourite horror films. I'm going to watch a couple tonight//now. First up is The Uninvited, an old black-and-white classic from 1944. Haven't decided on the second.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Reposting from the other Halloween movie thread for posterity and because I'd like to get in on the 31 Days of Horror tradition (a first for me). Movies I've watched in the past few weeks:

The Ninth Gate: I like neo-noir; I like horror. This one had way more of the former than the latter, but still had some nice horror moments, made better by how much of it is played without the supernatural.

The Conjuring: Once shit (and people) start flying around the room, I lose interest, but that scene with the two girls in their bedroom where one is freaking out saying she sees something behind the door is AWESOME. Give me more of that, please. The best horror is the stuff you can relate to, and that scene was grounded in experiences I think most people have had

The Empty Man: This is a 6 out of 10 movie that could've been edited into a 9. The bones are there; the horror is solid; the storyline is unique, but it just feels messy and overlong

Constantine: I fell asleep watching this back in 2006, and never saw it to completion until last week. It's fantastic! Psyched about the news for a sequel

Scream VI: Really entertaining, fun, and surprising. But probably way worse on a rewatch because I doubt the plot holds up at all after you know who Ghostface is

Talk to Me: Watched based on recommendations in the other thread. Instant classic for me. Loved it

The Medium (2021): Korean-made found footage movie about a Thai family possibly possessed by benevolent and malevolent gods in Thailand. Unexpectedly beautiful cinematography, some effective and memorable horror scenes, and interesting setting, but I kind of lost interest in the final act

The Babadook: Second time seeing this, and I liked it way more this time around after going in understanding that the monster is not the main attraction. Incredibly nerve-wracking movie. Note how it puts you in the mother's mindset with the CONSTANT annoyances/aggravations, rather than pure jump-scares. Phones ringing, doors being knocked on, dogs barking, lights flickering, accidents happening, things breaking, kid being annoying, people abandoning her... And the subject matter is incredibly disturbing because it's something that happens in the real world even without the influence of a "monster". Some of the most relatable real-life horror there is.

Thinking I'll watch No One Will Save You tonight based on reports from the other thread.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Reposting from the other Halloween movie thread for posterity and because I'd like to get in on the 31 Days of Horror tradition (a first for me). Movies I've watched in the past few weeks:

The Ninth Gate: I like neo-noir; I like horror. This one had way more of the former than the latter, but still had some nice horror moments, made better by how much of it is played without the supernatural.

The Conjuring: Once shit (and people) start flying around the room, I lose interest, but that scene with the two girls in their bedroom where one is freaking out saying she sees something behind the door is AWESOME. Give me more of that, please. The best horror is the stuff you can relate to, and that scene was grounded in experiences I think most people have had

The Empty Man: This is a 6 out of 10 movie that could've been edited into a 9. The bones are there; the horror is solid; the storyline is unique, but it just feels messy and overlong

Constantine: I fell asleep watching this back in 2006, and never saw it to completion until last week. It's fantastic! Psyched about the news for a sequel

Scream VI: Really entertaining, fun, and surprising. But probably way worse on a rewatch because I doubt the plot holds up at all after you know who Ghostface is

Talk to Me: Watched based on recommendations in the other thread. Instant classic for me. Loved it

The Medium (2021): Korean-made found footage movie about a Thai family possibly possessed by benevolent and malevolent gods in Thailand. Unexpectedly beautiful cinematography, some effective and memorable horror scenes, and interesting setting, but I kind of lost interest in the final act

Thinking I'll watch No One Will Save You tonight based on reports from the other thread.
Did you watch Scream V and if so, is VI better?

V killed the franchise for me, I thought it was that bad. Hard to resist a fun slasher though.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Did you watch Scream V and if so, is VI better?

V killed the franchise for me, I thought it was that bad. Hard to resist a fun slasher though.
Thanks for asking. I thought Scream V was a 5/6 out of 10. Didn't like or care for the new characters at all, and so I didn't care if they got offed. So no tension from rooting for them. And I thought the lead actress was incredibly wooden, except for where they let her go ham in the end, which I'm guessing is why they casted her.

I don't know how they did it, but those same characters return in Scream VI and I actually cared whether they lived or died. Much more likeable in VI. The main actress even got better at acting, in my opinion. The main set-pieces are inventive and memorable.

I actually watched Scream V again after Scream VI to see if I was just in a poor mindset or something the first time I watched V, and, nope, I much prefer Scream VI. I'd give it an 8.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If anyone likes Asian Horror, I highly recommend 'The Victim', it was a Tartan Asia Extreme DVD release back when that brand still existed.

It's a really great film. In Thailand, when they catch a criminal, they reenact the crime and put it in the papers. The plot of the movie follows that concept and it's just a really clever and entertaining film. The ghost is super creepy at times and if you're familiar with Thai culture, the ghost's motivation will be much more disturbing.

I don't think the film is available anywhere outside of used DVDs, I'm sure a stream of it exists somewhere and I'm tempted to make a burner YT account to upload the thing to see if it gets past the copyright check. One of the best Asian horror films that goes unnoticed IMO and would be a shame if it's lost to time.

Here's the trailer.

The filmmakers claim that real ghosts were filmed, they show the scenes in the credits I think. Wild stuff, Asia is crazy superstitious with ghosts. Really fascinating.

Definitely gonna watch it sometime this month. One of my personal favorites.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thanks for asking. I thought Scream V was a 5/6 out of 10. Didn't like or care for the new characters at all, and so I didn't care if they got offed. So no tension from rooting for them. And I thought the lead actress was incredibly wooden, except for where they let her go ham in the end, which I'm guessing is why they casted her.

I don't know how they did it, but those same characters return in Scream VI and I actually cared whether they lived or died. Much more likeable in VI. The main actress even got better at acting, in my opinion. The main set-pieces are inventive and memorable.

I actually watched Scream V again after Scream VI to see if I was just in a poor mindset or something the first time I watched V, and, nope, I much prefer Scream VI. I'd give it an 8.
Hell yes. Yea, V straight up blows IMO. The characters, the script, and especially the way it was filmed. Man I felt bad for Courtney Cox, not only was her face completely maimed from plastic surgery and Botox but it's like the director shot the entire film with a 50mm lens. Close up city! I'm by no means a filmmaker but I dabble in videography and I'm 100% confident I could have filmed it better, lol.

I'll definitely check out VI based on your recommendation.

kurisu_1974

#2 The Wrath of Becky (USA, 2023)

The-Wrath-of-Becky.jpg

This time Becky takes on some incel militia after they stole her dog. Have to say I liked the first movie a lot more, this was a bit too silly and a lot less gory and tense. Seann William Scott as a cult leader was fun to watch though.

#2 The Mist

First watch, although I read the short story when I was little. And, man, did they change the ending! :messenger_grinning_smiling: but also :messenger_loudly_crying: Anyway, I watched it on Peacock and they dubbed out (most of) the swearing for some reason, although the visuals and story were still R rated. Liked it a lot--and I'm a big Tom Jane fan. Wish he'd had a bigger career.

#2 The Mist

First watch, although I read the short story when I was little. And, man, did they change the ending! :messenger_grinning_smiling: but also :messenger_loudly_crying: Anyway, I watched it on Peacock and they dubbed out (most of) the swearing for some reason, although the visuals and story were still R rated. Liked it a lot--and I'm a big Tom Jane fan. Wish he'd had a bigger career.
Such a great movie. Massively underappreciated when it came out. That ending is brutal.

Movie #1: Army of Darkness. Aged well all things considered, haven't seen it in a while, still a classic and reliable favorite.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
ext on my list is Run. Will come back to post how I felt about it

Just watched it. Pretty decent, didnt like the ending that much, was expecting something more messed up, there were basically no horror themes but I suppose woman in danger these days somehow substitutes for horror? Oh no! Anyway decent thriller. 6.5/10 i guess

Mr Blobby

#1 Saw X
a prequal in the long-running Saw franchise. Don't know where it sits exactly because I've only seen a few. Important thing is, everyone's favourite, Jigsaw/John Cramer is alive. Basic story is he goes to get treatment, he gets fucked over by the medical team and so he takes revenge on them. Maybe I'm getting old but some of the scenes were a bit much, even for a Saw film. There's actually some funny moments in here, in a kind of morbid way
John sitting at a bench in a park contemplatively... sketching one of his death traps
. This was probably the highlight for me. More than others in the series, it also tries to show Jigsaw in a human light. And like the others, there are some twists. Did I enjoy it? I guess I did.

#1 Saw X
a prequal in the long-running Saw franchise. Don't know where it sits exactly because I've only seen a few. Important thing is, everyone's favourite, Jigsaw/John Cramer is alive. Basic story is he goes to get treatment, he gets fucked over by the medical team and so he takes revenge on them. Maybe I'm getting old but some of the scenes were a bit much, even for a Saw film. There's actually some funny moments in here, in a kind of morbid way
John sitting at a bench in a park contemplatively... sketching one of his death traps
. This was probably the highlight for me. More than others in the series, it also tries to show Jigsaw in a human light. And like the others, there are some twists. Did I enjoy it? I guess I did.
Lol... in the previous Saw films... some 'victims' I feel are punished for reasons that seem a bit 'tame'... I'm thinking back, must have been 6 years ago when I'd watched them all in order (with what Saw films were out at the time).

I'm waiting for a Saw film in which a new victim will get the treatment for such a reason;

(Clears throat)

"Hello Arnold. In 2015 you ran out into the middle of the road to save a baby in a runaway pram from oncoming traffic. In doing so, the driver who was heading east-bound at the time had to slam on the brakes of their vehicle.

Due to your 'antics' and wreckless thinking, Arnold... the driver suffered minor whiplash and had to wear a neck brace for two straight weeks in order to claim compensation. As they walked the streets in daylight, they were at the hands of the ultimate shame as they were occasionally, but not always glanced at by curious passers-by...

...Now you, Arnold... shall suffer a fate worse than you could ever imagine..."

(Cue razor blade-tipped bicycle chains swinging in from all angles at Arnold whilst massive rusty cogs turn and creek).

Mr Blobby

haha true, the punishment rarely fits the crime...the dude in this poster gets his comeuppance because he stole a guys accessories. ok he was a nurse taking from a dying man, but still... :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Saw_X_poster.png

They do try to make the villain a real piece of work though, so we're really rooting for Jigsaw.

Anyone comment on the new Exorcist? Saw a trailer, not sure if it's out but it looks decent or at least fitting for this thread

haha true, the punishment rarely fits the crime...the dude in this poster gets his comeuppance because he stole a guys accessories. ok he was a nurse taking from a dying man, but still... :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Saw_X_poster.png

They do try to make the villain a real piece of work though, so we're really rooting for Jigsaw.

Anyone comment on the new Exorcist? Saw a trailer, not sure if it's out but it looks decent or at least fitting for this thread

Is it true that those eye tubes receive coffee-flavoured minstrels coming down them?

Carefully respond if you may - might wanna spoiler that shit, amigo! 😆

They'll be after us with pitchforks!!!

Gameboy415

1. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray) - Started off the season with a classic from John Carpenter. Always loved the premise/slow-burn build-up of this film.
2. No One Gets Out Alive (Netflix) - Can't say too much without spoiling it but it was a pretty creepy film with a great ending - based on a novel by the author of The Ritual (which I watched a few years back and also really enjoyed).
3. Friday the 13th (Max) - Hadn't seen this in ages and completely forgot that Kevin Bacon was in it and that
Jason Voorhees's mom was the killer in this one!

Mossybrew

I don't care for gross horror/serial killer stuff, so we usually watch more spooky/silly stuff like Coraline, ParaNorman, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Van Helsing etc.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
I watched an oldie called The Shout. John Hurt, Sussanah York, and Tim Curry. A strange film that left me with more questions than answers. Also watched The Uninvited from 1944 - dates but enjoyable. Miss the atmosphere of the old films.

I don't care for gross horror/serial killer stuff, so we usually watch more spooky/silly stuff like Coraline, ParaNorman, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Van Helsing etc.
I like Hansel and Gretel's "What if the 1990s kept going?" style. I wouldn't call it a hidden gem, but maybe a hidden nugget?

kurisu_1974

#3 Cobweb (USA, 2023)

COBWEB_Still-2-H-2023.jpg

Really enjoyed the first hour, nice atmosphere and the dad was super creepy, but the last part is so full of cliches and uninsteresting reveals that it ruined the whole thing for me.

#5 Pet Sematary (2019)

The one with Jason Clarke and John Lithgow. Lithgow is good as always, but overall it's a 'meh.' I watched it because I'm planning on watching the new direct-to-streaming sequel tonight because it stars a certain actress. So, priorities?

#6 Pet Sematary Bloodlines

Aside from starring a certain wonderful actress, it's a whole lot of nothing. More "meh" than bad, but it's definitely missing that extra layer of King's characterization.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Done rewatching Alien 1 to 4. I usually rewatch just the first two but I said fuck it, I'll do all of them and my impressions for 3 and 4 have grown a bit. Well not so much for the third but more so for the 4th because it looks awesome for such an old movie, very impressed with some of the CGI. I always fondly remembered that water scene and still loved it now. Still not a very good movie overall but not bad.

EDIT: eh ill rewatch Prometheus and Covenant as well I guess.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Watching Evil Dead Rise" It's a straight horror film and all sorts of fucked up. No comedy elements. Enjoying the shit out of it so far. It's fuuuuucked up.

Knock Knock. While not a horror film per se, definitely one that middle aged married guys could feel is a terror film :p

As above, so Below, an older film, mid 2010s I think, but for a found footage type joint it aint bad. The lead lady is smoking hot, hits all sorts of british dame buttons for me :p

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Happy death day is probably my favourite, as above so below right after it and then the evil dead franchise; though I watch about 2 movies a week in theaters so I've probably seen every notable horror movie thus far, the latest ones being it lives inside and the new exorcist.
Saw totally killer today and enjoyed it a lot, though that's probably because of the time travel stuff like happy death day.

#7 Us

First watch, loved it. For the first half or so, I though it was going to be a really obvious allegory about race, and man was that wrong! But I mainly loved the directing--lots of interesting shots and great editing.

sedg87

Banned
VHS 85. I Love these films, but this is easily the weakest in the series.

I fancy an underwater creature feature, so I shall be watching Leviathan later tonight. I'm also going to watch Trilogy of Terror.

Watched so far:
Talk to Me
House of Wax
The Shout
The Uninvited
Madhouse
VHS85

jason10mm

Gold Member
#2 Totally Killer

Gave it a go on Amazon knowing what it was going into it. Goofy fun. Zero scares.
Just started it. I'd like to think that Claire from Modern Family would do just that :p

And I think this is the first time I've seen that shelf gun storage thing in a movie. Must get one!

Top Bottom