• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

basketcase-262x370.jpg

5. Basket Case

A simple but "charming" little horror/comedy gem that makes you wonder if it even had a budget (and I'd say the cheap look of the movie only adds to its charm.) The story, dialog, and acting didn't blow me away; regardless, I couldn't help but be enthralled by the seedy, gritty atmosphere of the setting (New York circa early 80s) and its sleazy inhabitants. The effects are about what you'd expect for an ultra low-budget creature feature. Even so, I still found them fairly effective.

2/4 stars

BioHazard

Oct.5
The Visit
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/The_Visit_%282015_film%29_poster.jpg[IMG]
This was a surprise. I completely forgot about this movie until it was recommended by a podcast I was subscribed to. The twist is certainly there but it was not what I was expecting. Jump scares are good and not your typical out-of-nowhere "boo!". M.Night did a good job with this movie and I hope he returns with more of the same caliber.[/QUOTE]

I also loved The Visit. Can't wait until the internet decides its great until years later, much like The Village and Signs, I skipped right ahead to that point lol. Also can't wait for Split. As far as I'm concerned, Shyamalan has been back with The Visit.

Also, any fans of The Strangers (2008)? The director, Bryan Bertino, has a new film coming out this week exclusively on DirectTV and maybe a theatrical release in Nov, The Monster. A24 inexplicably is releasing it with literally zero marketing, not even a trailer, so weird.

Aiii

So not worth it
#1 - P.O.V. - A Cursed Film (2012) - 3.5/5
#2 - Satanic (2016) - 0/5
#3 - The Shining (1980) - 5/5
#4 - The Awakening (2011) - 3/5
#5 - Teketeke (2009) - 2.5/5

tekjkppg.jpg

#6 - Teketeke 2 (2009)
Teketeke 2 takes place one year after the first installment, and imagine that, it's better than the first one in every way. A high-school girl uses Teketeke to exact revenge on a group of girls in her class that have started to bully her for standing up to the Queen B of the group. The acting in the sequel is a step beyond the first movie and because there are more people murdered in this one, it is way more gory. Yes, body's are getting cut in half left and right and it is glorious (I swear I'm not a psychopath, I hope). We also learn more of the backstory of Teketeke and how and why she kills, some pretty cool stuff in there, too, though I feel the movie could have been 10 minutes longer and expanded even more on this (Runtime of both movies is just over 70 minutes each).

I'm a sucker for low-budget J-Horror like this, 3.5 red scarves out of 5.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
3. The Collector You know? This is still a fun movie. Really underrated. Great Main Character, great set up, really interesting set of events. A lot more fun than I remembered.

4.Tucker and Dale versus Evil Funny movie, pretty clever in its humor and what it was trying to do.

gabbo

#4 The Omen

In what is easily the best demonic possession film in the wake of 'The Exorcist', The Omen doubles down on the Latin chants and violent deaths, while also making a 5 year old seem downright terrifying. I've not seen the remake, but I can't seem him being as disturbing as this Damien. Also, Gregory Peck turns in a great performance as the conflicted protagonist.
Girlfriend liked it, found some jumping off points for Supernatural in it.

Next up Omen 2

lordxar

The New York Ripper. After Don't Torture a Duckling I couldn't wait to watch this and couldn't sleep for shit so I watched it but this didn't reach DTaD's heights. It was good but not quite as good. The duck voice of the killer was insane sounding which made things extra creepy. There were some really awful kills later on with the razor blade near the end being the worst. I mean I've watched a lot of horror but the slowness and in depth filming was very tough to watch and I don't care for eye trauma so that made it worse.

0084719.jpg

I wanted to post all day but had to wait because I was busy as shit at work so...

Beneath was awesome. I watched that last year and loved it.

The Mutilator sounds awesome, may have to sneak that one in.

Need to see Demons 2 but loved the Church when I watched it last year. Didn't know it was any sort of sequel, planned or no.

I've seen the first 20ish minutes of teeth like 3 times. For some reason I just can't quite ever watch it. Normally someone turns it on and I have to go do something right after. I'm not totally sure I want to see it but seeing the monster would be pretty awesome if they actually show it. That first kill though...seeing it so many times is uh...painful

http://bountyentertainment.com.au/pixeleye/wp-content/uploads/basketcase-262x370.jpg

5. Basket Case

A simple but "charming" little horror/comedy gem that makes you wonder if it even had a budget (and I'd say the cheap look of the movie only adds to its charm.) The story, dialog, and acting didn't blow me away; regardless, I couldn't help but be enthralled by the seedy, gritty atmosphere of the setting (New York circa early 80s) and its sleazy inhabitants. The effects are about what you'd expect for an ultra low-budget creature feature. Even so, I still found them fairly effective.

2/4 stars

Remember the scene when Duane checks into the hotel and he pulls out the stack of cash? That was the film's budget. All of it.

3. The Collector You know? This is still a fun movie. Really underrated. Great Main Character, great set up, really interesting set of events. A lot more fun than I remembered.

The Collector is great. Shame about the sequel though, it's terrible.

Ridley327

You guys are making me want to watch The Mutilator...It sounds like something I would enjoy.

It's pretty charming, despite the relative crudeness. Those guys are definitely not exaggerating about the gore effects, though: the ones that show up towards the end are absolutely brutal.

05/10/16
Film 7
Black Christmas (1974)

I’ve been waiting since last year’s marathon to watch this, and I’ve got to say, I am not disappointed. Tense, unnerving and with a great cast, it’s the best film I’ve seen so far this time. Jess Bradford is a fantastic central character, brave and resourceful, and clearly a woman intent on taking no shit whatsoever, be it from her dickhead boyfriend or the foul-mouthed creeper on the other end of the phone
(who may - or may not - end up being one and the same person)
. Olivia Hussey’s performance as Jess is a real highlight of the film, but the star of the show for me is always going to be Margot Kidder, mainly because I’ve had a crush on her since I was ten years old, but also because Barb's just cool.

v7NE1nl.gif

I’m surprised by just how effectively spooky the film is, despite its age - the image of
first victim Clare sitting by the attic window with the plastic still wrapped around her face, her mouth and eyes forever wide open,
I found really chilling. The same goes for that 'eye moment', and the shadows on the basement windows in the finale and those relentless phone calls. Creepy as hell and bloody fantastic.

I’ve decided that a multi-region blu-ray player is now my top priority, then I can buy this:

HgE22Xl.png

What a seriously awesome movie.

Films I've watched so far

Chabbles

Nah the dialogue is so good. A good chunk of it came directly from historical documents. That's just how people spoke then.

It works at times, like there are moments and spurts when the actors pull it off and it sounds authentic or believable, but its so inconsistent, and at times cringe worthy.

GhaleonEB

It works at times, like there are moments and spurts when the actors pull it off and it sounds authentic or believable, but its so inconsistent, and at times cringe worthy.

Never noticed an inconsistency. They screened it for a group of historians who were impressed with the dialects and language - they said it was the first film they could not find issues with in that area. (From the Blu-Ray extras panel discussion.)

Having fell behind schedule I figured I'd watch a trilogy to catch up in one night. After watching the first film I immediately think I'm going to give up on that idea.

Night 3: Eko Eko Azarak: Wizard of Darkness

HJfpQVk.png
vJzZDKU.png
QbLdQDV.png

The movie starts promising enough with satanists telepathically throwing a girder at a woman's head. After getting to watch a male teacher feel up some female students at the gates of a school we get some exposition from the class nerd that murders have committed around town to create a bloody pentagon and there school is right in the middle. Looks like somebody's trying to summon Satan. Suddenly a new student magical heroine is transferred to the class. The following day 13 students are locked in a classroom, are about to be picked off and only one person can save them. The murder to talk ratio at this point's pretty on par for a decent slasher, the first death was handled well and the premise of the film is the right kind of stupid. Sounds promising, right?

The rest of the film is tedious. There's a creepily gratuitous lesbian sex scenes between a teacher and student that isn't helped by the fact all the lesbians in the film are evil. The heroine does nothing at all throughout the entire movie apart from falling in love with a guy because he slaps her. Whilst the movie pulls off a couple of fun deaths but most of the students die off camera. Then when things get a little interesting with a twist at the end nothing happens after it and the situation pretty much resolves itself. On top of that only one cast member gives a suitably shlocky performance whilst the rest can hardly be bothered to act at all. It might have played better in it's time as it was originally released in the mid nineties when the gore/sex might have been a little more shocking in Japanese cinema, but I can't recommend this flick on any level right now.

YMoAbj4.gif

You should try Ju-On: White Ghost/Black Ghost.

I'm going to watch Ju-On 2 in the second half of the month. I'll add White Ghost/Black Ghost if I run out of films.

Unable to participate as much this year due to scheduling and my wife's job. However we managed to sit down last night for:

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
tumblr_no2l2wumdk1uquwd0o1_500.gif

I think calling this a horror film is pretty disingenuous. Unless 'urban existential terror' absolutely frightens you, there's not much horror to this story about a lonesome vampire and her happenstance run-in with a down-on-his-luck young man. It's a black-and-white, Persian language film that was shot in the California desert that never really explores or explains it's setting, which is fine because the film revolves around it's characters very heavily. There's a lot of long scenes with minimal or no dialogue, where you're left to read a character's intentions and emotions entirely by their body language and facial expressions. It works pretty well and you end up feeling kind of invested in the story of the two main leads, but like many films of this type (sort of dreamy, hazy on specifics) it's a lot of style over substance and the ending is quite frankly trite and disappointing.

The Good:
+Has kind of an late 80s/early 90s indie movie feel, like an early Jarmusch film
+The female lead (Sheila Vand) is beautiful and emotes quite well despite having little dialogue
+Pretty good 80s-inspired (or actually 80s, who can tell anymore) soundtrack
+Atmospheric and moody
+Positive feminist themes

The Bad:
-Story is kind of listless
-Doesn't leverage the vampire angle enough
-Kind of squanders it's characters

The Ugly:
-The pimp's "Sex" neck tattoo

--

As a horror film: 2 neck bites out of 5
As a film: 4 neck bites out of 5

Macattk15

Oct 5

Got up early to get this one in.

Fall Break aka The Mutilator (1984)

A classic slashers, actually one of the better ones I've watched. Characters are likeable enough, though poorly acted, there's no stupid mystery about the killer (and nice reprieve from my experiences with both Toolbox Murders films). Where this movie excels it's theme song... classic upbeat 80s song seriously look it up it's called Fall Break and it's hilarious.

Ok where it actually excels is gore effects, this uncut baby doesn't hold back, there is a fishhook sequence that even managed to shock me and I'm not easily shocked by movie violence. Excellent effects and the movie shows them off, no cheap out cutaways here.

Killer also has an excellent last moment before death, I mean it's hilarious but wonderful.

Probably the most enjoyable movie I've watched so far (not artistically the best though just the most fun).

LOL we posted about the same movie an hour apart.

I cannot express how annoyed I am that I wasted time watching this.

#2 Prom Night (1980)
Director: Paul Lynch
wCMrnH5.png

Jamie Lee Curtis once again plays a teenager in the middle of a slasher spree. The film uses the first hour of the film as set up characters in interesting ways, they spread out tension, rivalry and motivations really well. Archetypes come so easy for these early slasher films. What it comes down to, is some cheesy good times for a horror film.

lordxar

Don't let that sweet scythe in the poster fool you, this ain't that. Those are here and gone in 5 minutes. For 1934 the effects aren't bad, watch the shadows and reflections. The story is disjointed because its one of those films that got destroyed along the way so this was a restoration. What's interesting is the one chick tossing some fucking psycho look out rather than vampire makeup. Pretty cool what having zero effects can do in today's cgi age.

steven-severin-vampyr.jpg

Zombine

Banned

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

tumblr_n9nmtglEgZ1rwy386o1_500.gif

Released in 1974, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a macabre and frightening tale inspired by the serial killer and canibal Ed Gein. "Inspired by true events", we follow Sally and her "invalid" brother Franklin and a group of her friends as the investigate rumors of graves which have been robbed and twisted by an unnamed individual.

God damn. This movie is beyond depraved and twisted. It's a classic and a film I watch every year, and certain scenes never cease to creep me out. Leatherface is a horror movie icon, and the way that Gunnar Hansen portrays the deviant killer is legendary.

This is a film that experiments a ton with noise. Chainsaws, hammers, metal doors, cutting, slicing, dicing...there actually isn't a ton of on screen blood in the movie, but the sounds of the screams and the chainsaw make up for it and creates something much more uncomfortable in your mind.

tumblr_mjyhhdH4ql1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Watch this.

5/5

TCM is one of those movies that make you go "yeah, I'm watching history."

Edit: for the record, I also like TCM 2. One of my guilty pleasures. It is so ridiculous.

tcm2-blu-ray-2.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Little review catch up.

2.) Frankenstein (not young, the old one)

This was pretty damn enjoyable. The accents were hilarious, especially the Dr. It ended very abruptly though, so far i'm noticing that is a theme with these movies. The father was hilarious, he had to be drunk for most of this movie's filming.

Again the setting and effort they put into it really makes these movies. The graveyard scene was superb and they really pushed "This doctor is messed up" vibes.

3) The Mummy
Great, another tipping thread. Wake me up after its over

Ok so far this is my favorite of this collection. Boris in this one again. At least he found his niche of creepy tall slow walking dead stare corpse. You only really see him as the iconic Mummy for like the first 10 minutes then he walks out saying see you sucka leaving the other guy laughing hysterically because he had toilet paper stuck to his foot. The rest of the time he is Imoh-I mean Michael Bay something.

Wow. Yup even back then he was still trying to hook up with his Princess Jasmine. I don't know if the fez is helping or not. Guy is doing a bunch of voodoo magic stopping hearts left and right and staring at the camera creepily alot. There is a coherent plot in this though without too many campy scenes so yea this was the best so far.

4) Invisible Man (sings the Queen song the entire movie)

Every single person in this movie was drunk during the entire time. I'm not joking. The end.

11. 976-EVIL II: The Astral Factor (1992)
Well... It's a film. First and only watch I imagine. At least there's some very hot women running around in little coverage. The plot is boring, the lead is boring, for some reason people talk to each other about boring things... I mean there's a lot of leather to look at too... The lead actress Debbi James put in work though, she's great.

OP

---

Film #11 - Carrie (2002) - trailer

This has always been a weird one to me. I'm really not a fan of the way this was shot or any of the effects but some of the plot elements and cast save it a little. This was a tv movie and it really shows at all times with the visuals and effects. One of my biggest issues with this and the other remake is the general lack of impact with the gym disaster. I feel like I'm wording that weirdly but I don't know how else to put it. There's just some extra "oomph" to it seen in the original that hasn't been replicated. I'm not expecting cutting edge, top of the line stuff from something with a budget that this had but I'm sure it could've been a bit better. Maybe I expect too much.

On a more positive note, Angela Bettis is absolutely amazing and I love her rendition of the character even if the casting choice is a bit weird age wise. Her performance is very much her own and a nice shift from Spacek's, I actually think each version of Carrie in the films have their own thing going on with their own redeeming qualities. This film also brings my favorite screen versions of the characters Miss Desjardin and Sue Snell. Not sure how popular or unpopular of an opinion those are but what can I say.

This is probably the most accurate adaptation of King's book out of the 3 films which can be more of a pro or con depending on you. I personally liked seeing some of the book stuff that was left out in here but I'm not sure if it was executed as well as it could've been. I like the concept of the police interviews interspersed throughout but as they are here it slows things down and kills any momentum it has going. The ending is a big deviation and a pretty bad one at that but this was supposed to lead to a pilot for a tv show (that I probably would've watched because I am trash, mind you) that never happened so I don't want to knock it too badly.

Overall this wasn't as bad as it probably could've been but I wish I liked more than just the cast/character renditions and inclusion of more book elements. I'd probably put this between the original and 2013 remake personal enjoyment wise. That probably sounds a bit off but the character renditions are a huge positive for me with this one.

Oct 5

Got up early to get this one in.

Fall Break aka The Mutilator (1984)

A classic slashers, actually one of the better ones I've watched. Characters are likeable enough, though poorly acted, there's no stupid mystery about the killer (and nice reprieve from my experiences with both Toolbox Murders films). Where this movie excels it's theme song... classic upbeat 80s song seriously look it up it's called Fall Break and it's hilarious.

Ok where it actually excels is gore effects, this uncut baby doesn't hold back, there is a fishhook sequence that even managed to shock me and I'm not easily shocked by movie violence. Excellent effects and the movie shows them off, no cheap out cutaways here.

Killer also has an excellent last moment before death, I mean it's hilarious but wonderful.

Probably the most enjoyable movie I've watched so far (not artistically the best though just the most fun).

LOL we posted about the same movie an hour apart.

Sounds like you had a good time. Now everyone else in this thread is going to watch it, then they're gonna have a good time.........Gonna Have a Good Time!

I can't get that damn song out of my head.

TCM is one of those movies that make you go "yeah, I'm watching history."

Edit: for the record, I also like TCM 2. One of my guilty pleasures. It is so ridiculous.

tcm2-blu-ray-2.jpg

I've really warmed up to it over the years. There are a few moment that are brilliant.

6. Friday the 13th (1980)

Initially, this movie reminds me of Psycho, in that the character you assumed would be the main character is killed early on. What I find interesting about this compared to other slashers is that the killer isn't known until the climax. People are mysteriously killed, but they are judged as "missing".
Mrs. Vorhees is a great villain, coming off as a sweet lady offering to help until her hinges come loose.
There's also the atmosphere to the camp, it doesn't feel right once night falls and the storm starts. Overall, a nice start to the franchise, though I wonder if the creators had a franchise planned.

Full list

Btw if anyone is looking for something for this run.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane and May are two of my favorite horror flicks.

Can't recommend either enough.

I'm sticking to new stuff for me mostly for this run so I won't be watching them for this run but I wanted to recommend them.

Ridley327

October 5

"Modest ambition" is the name of the game that The Boogens is playing. Not much more than a harmless mash-up of old fashioned B-movie tropes with some then-modern concessions like more graphic makeup effects, some swearing and a bit of skin, it aims to differentiate itself with its dopey yet earnest charm. With a cast that won't be winning acting competitions, it has to rely more on their rapport with one another, which does work well. Rebecca Balding has long been an inherently welcome sight in anything she pops up in, but I'll give due credit to the other three for making their roles feel like people that would hang out together, making them feel quite likable. Surprisingly, the best actor in this is however many dogs they got to fill in the role of the pet dog in this, who gets what are probably the best scenes in the film with the director staging some nice little bits of comedy and suspense with our canine friend as focus, almost as if it's a more adorable version of our hero from The Hills Have Eyes. It's a nice setting, too: the wintry aspect of the abandoned mines does get some brief but welcome moments of desolation to add a bit of atmosphere to a straightforward creature feature. The film wisely holds back on a full reveal of the title beasties until the last 15 minutes or so, partly because they don't look particularly terrifying (the general design is promising, a kind of eldritch turtle, but they needed a much bigger budget to pull it off), but it does allow for some effective "fill in the blanks" moments as the attacks are carried out through their perspective. Overall, it's not an exemplary film by any stretch, but it is actually more difficult to find a lot wrong with it, as it succeeds at virtually everything it sets out to do in a competent and coherent fashion. Not the world's most exciting film, but it is the kind that no one would mind having on.

Film for October 6: Oh shit, it's that cursed day again! While I avoided the hell out of falling for it last year with Deliverance, one can never be too sure what and how it will strike. So let's live a little dangerously once again this year with a film that, quite honestly, I haven't been able to find out much about from just about anyone. Ghost Money is a Thai film from the early 80s with a trailer for a recently restored version that boasts a reputation for being one of the scariest films for at least for its home audience, but other than that, there's really not much dialogue about it from what I've seen. In any event, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out when there's no one or nothing to relate it to, making this potentially the deepest dive I've ever done for a marathon.

BioHazard

#8 Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

JQq87vc.png

I've never seen any of the Halloween films past 3 and Rob Zombie's, so I'm starting right where I left off. Starts off alright, has some good kills but thought the siege of the house sequence went on for too long with little payoff. Ending was pretty great though, I also enjoyed how in this film the police believed Donald Pleasence immediately and shut down the town and called for backup as opposed to brushing him off as usual.

3/5

List of films so far

October 5

Surprisingly, the best actor in this is however many dogs they got to fill in the role of the pet dog in this, who gets what are probably the best scenes in the film with the director staging some nice little bits of comedy and suspense with our canine friend as focus, almost as if it's a more adorable version of our hero from The Hills Have Eyes.

This sounds promising, the Hills Have Eyes dog made the movie for me, especially when so many other characters were useless.

Ridley327

This sounds promising, the Hills Have Eyes dog made the movie for me, especially when so many other characters were useless.

I wouldn't say it's a heroic role, as the dog is doing its own thing throughout, but it is a shockingly well-acted role for an animal. Like, if you were giving out medals for that stuff, and the dog from The Thing gets the gold medal, I'd say this dog is a strong bronze medal contender.

Note: I have no idea which animal role would get the silver.

OP

---

Film #12 - The Rage: Carrie 2 (1999) - trailer

This wasn't very good by any means but it sure tried at least (which is already a fair amount more than some films). There was only so much that could've been done with a sequel to Carrie to begin with so I have to commend this for at least doing somewhat of its own thing (no matter how little that is). I appreciate that it brought certain issues to light that most other teen films I've seen shy away from.

The way this was directly tied back to the original is pretty clumsy but it was great to see Sue Snell back as a guidance counselor years after the events of the original film.

While not as good as Psycho II, I'd definitely file this with that as another really late sequel that manages to not be anywhere near as bad as it should.

Endy MacK

3. The Witch

I thought this was a beautifully shot movie with phenomenal acting. Every character was strong, especially Anya Taylor-Joy (Thomasin), and Ralph Ineson (William).

Everyone who said this was a slow burn was absolutely on point!
and what a payoff in that last ~20 minutes when everything comes to a head. So good.

I'll have to re-watch this one. So many beautiful scenes; this long shot is my favourite:

fKpS9DY.jpg

GhaleonEB

#5: Harbinger Down | via Netflix streaming

When the prequel to The Thing came out a few years back, the film was castigated by fans of the original for the late decision to replace practical effects with (very bad) CG. The effects team that had their work removed went off and made Harbinger Down, where they presumably did the same kind of work they had done for The Thing, but on a smaller budget. On a boat. With Lance Henriksen.

Now having seen what that team could do: the execs that panicked and had CG inserted to cover up their work were even bigger idiots than I thought.

So, this is basically the plot of The Thing on an arctic boat, and it knows it. It's filled with references to The Thing from the opening shot onward, right down to a character calling the creature "voodoo bullshit".

It's not as effective as Carpenter's classic, doesn't have the build or style or stellar lead, but that's okay. It works with what it's got, and is solid all the way through. It's got a competent cast that was clearly having a ball; in particular Henriksen gives very good performance as the ship's captain and grandfather of our hero. The characters are simply but strongly drawn, the effects delightfully icky (though clearly on a shoestring budget) and the film knows to not to try and stretch beyond its bounds. It's frequently cheesy, icky and hilarious, usually intentionally.

This is a low budget, loving riff on The Thing on a boat, with good practical effects and Lance Henriksen. I had a ball.

**** out of five.

3. The Witch

I thought this was a beautifully shot movie with phenomenal acting. Every character was strong, especially Anya Taylor-Joy (Thomasin), and Ralph Ineson (William).

Everyone who said this was a slow burn was absolutely on point!
and what a payoff in that last ~20 minutes when everything comes to a head. So good.

I'll have to re-watch this one. So many beautiful scenes; this long shot is my favourite:

fKpS9DY.jpg

One of my favorite films this year. As you said, beautifully shot and acted. On second watch I picked up even more on the meticulous framing. I love this shot:

philip_zpsyzyw78jo.png

#8 Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

JQq87vc.png

I've never seen any of the Halloween films past 3 and Rob Zombie's, so I'm starting right where I left off. Starts off alright, has some good kills but thought the siege of the house sequence went on for too long with little payoff. Ending was pretty great though, I also enjoyed how in this film the police believed Donald Pleasence immediately and shut down the town and called for backup as opposed to brushing him off as usual.

3/5

List of films so far

My secret favorite Halloween film.

It's a tragedy that they never ran with that ending for future films.

dlauv

I've been watching the Scream MTV series.

It's pretty decent material for the target audience although it starts off a little ham-fisted and ends a little ham-fisted.

Anyone seen Hellevator? It's so bad.

Edit: Oops, should have read the rules.

OP

---

Film #13 - Cold Prey (2006) - trailer

I was a bit let down by this one. It's a pretty sufficient slasher but some of the reviews I've read had me expecting something a bit more quality wise. This was pretty slow and never seemed to take off too much. I'll be watching the second film soonish regardless and maybe i'll enjoy that one more.

I've still got too many films on my list for the month. Would any of you guys consider Naked Lunch to be horror? I'm having a Cronenberg theme'd week and I'd hate to lose it, but I could always go back to it next month if it's not horror-y enough.

I wouldn't say it's a heroic role, as the dog is doing its own thing throughout, but it is a shockingly well-acted role for an animal. Like, if you were giving out medals for that stuff, and the dog from The Thing gets the gold medal, I'd say this dog is a strong bronze medal contender.

Note: I have no idea which animal role would get the silver.

The dog from the thing wins the gold based on the hallway scene alone. That's gotta be one of my favorite shots in the whole thing.

I've watched 5 movies so far, bu wasn't able to post my thoughts.

#1 Army Of Darkness

Fun horror-comedy. My favorite in the original trilogy after Evil Dead II.

7/10.

#2 Evil Dead (2013)

For the most part it works as a good enough remake, but third act really makes it good.

7/10.

#3 The Collection

Ok sequel. Arkin is a very symphatetic character.

6/10.

#4 The Mist

What a powerful movie. Darabont is a master. Effects do not hold up that well, but it really doesn't matter, because movie is tense and has a great atmosphere. And that fucking ending, GODDAMN.
I absolutely love horror movies set in one location with a group of people. Any more recommendations?

8/10.

#5 Devil's Rejects

Man, i gotta say, while i thought that House Of A 1000 Corpses is a bad, fucked up piece of shit, this is a tryly good movie.
And that ending sequence is nothing short of a masterpiece.
Gonna add more Zombie to my list.

7/10.

lordxar

#5 Devil's Rejects

Man, i gotta say, while i thought that House Of A 1000 Corpses is a bad, fucked up piece of shit, this is a tryly good movie.

7/10.

You just watched the best thing he's ever done, the rest is House of 1000 Corpses bad. Now I dig his Halloweens but I'm not including those because their remakes. His original movies all blow except for DR. Although I have yet to see 31 but I doubt it's much different. I'm not sure what magic he tapped into for DR but he needs to find more of that mojo.

#5 Devil's Rejects[/B]

7/10.

You just watched the best thing he's ever done, the rest is House of 1000 Corpses bad. Now I dig his Halloweens but I'm not including those because their remakes. His original movies all blow except for DR. Although I have yet to see 31 but I doubt it's much different. I'm not sure what magic he tapped into for DR but he needs to find more of that mojo.

I love Rob Zombie's films, and I'm really looking forward to watching 31 later in the month, but I doubt he'll ever make another movie as good as The Devil's Rejects.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised to find I'm not the only one here who doesn't actively hate his Halloween remakes.

I love Rob Zombie's films, and I'm really looking forward to watching 31 later in the month, but I doubt he'll ever make another movie as good as The Devil's Rejects.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised to find I'm not the only one here who doesn't actively hate his Halloween remakes.

After having a lot of time away from it, I've come to appreciate H2 for doing its own thing.

I really can't bring myself to like the first film though. Maybe that will change if I get around to it later this month.

Top Bottom