• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Laws00

Mind you this isn't my full collection for either of these systems. These are just games that I think will become sought after. I've omitted the usual stuff like zelda, mario and final fantasy and this and that.

Bonus since they were in the box too. PSP games

I actually thought I had rub the rabbits for DS in there, I guess I was wrong

Wish I could have found Radiant Historia Limited Edition

Got Persona 2: Innocent Sin for xmas so no limited edition for that
IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Laws00

So i'm looking at Ebay and im trying to figure out WHY THE FUCK does Dokapon Kingdom and Ivy the Kiwi cost so much?

televator

I just grabbed Silent Hill Shattered Memories on PSP after hearing thet the graphics were better than the PS2. The Wii version is graphically superior, but I just hate the motion controls. I think plenty of people feel the same way since I noticed that the PS2 version is holding some value.

I just grabbed Silent Hill Shattered Memories on PSP after hearing thet the graphics were better than the PS2. The Wii version is graphically superior, but I just hate the motion controls. I think plenty of people feel the same way since I noticed that the PS2 version is holding some value.

The motion controls in the Wii version are really good. Moving the flashlight with the Wii remote fits perfectly.

I can't imagine the PSP version's visuals are better than PS2. It looks pretty bad on PSP.

televator

The motion controls in the Wii version are really good. Moving the flashlight with the Wii remote fits perfectly.

I can't imagine the PSP version's visuals are better than PS2. It looks pretty bad on PSP.

The pointer controls are great in Silent Hill, yeah. Just dandy... Love that in the Metroid games too, so I'm actually a fan of pointer controls. However those are pointer controls, not motion controls. And motion controls suck. Full stop.

In Sillent Hill, you have to frantically waggle enemies off of you when they manage to grab you... Ugh, the worst! The ususal sins are present. Shit doesnt register/falseley registers the wrong motion.

Also the dev apparently had more time to work on the PSP version of the game and managed to include more post processing effects. So I've read anyway... still haven't taken it out of the shrink wrap.

D.Lo

This is true, damn true.
Not full stop? 'Motion when a button press' often sucks (I disn'5 mind it in Twilight Princess, at least there it always worked), but there are good examples of motion use. The Wii Sports games are an obvious one. Tilting games work great. Some very specific well thought out implementations work really well.

Yes many examples sucked. Some games were borderline ruined. But they don't suck 'full stop'.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thanks for all the good suggestions on games. Need to pick up a few of them I feel.

About motion controls, I actually love them when they are used right. And that includes a game like Twilight Princess because it felt natural to do it there. There are of course also a lot of games that got completely ruined by developers who overabused it, but when used intelligently, i thought it greatly enhanced the experience - and am sad that "hardcore gamers" rejected it.

televator

Twilight Princess was just shaking the Wiimote when pressing a button would suffice. Throwing bombs didn't work quite right and hurt my wrists.

Anyway, I do take back what I said solely for tilting games on handhelds. Pretty hard to fuck that up.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Btw re: PS3 - this lot was under 10,000 yen - though I didn't by because already have most the games

CtvCy4kUsAAXitF.jpg

Timu

Not full stop? 'Motion when a button press' often sucks (I disn'5 mind it in Twilight Princess, at least there it always worked), but there are good examples of motion use. The Wii Sports games are an obvious one. Tilting games work great. Some very specific well thought out implementations work really well.

Yes many examples sucked. Some games were borderline ruined. But they don't suck 'full stop'.
Fair enough. I'm still not an overall fan of it yet though it's used well in some games at least.

Timu

They don't anymore, not in 2016. The Vive and Oculus Touch are insanely accurate and responsive. I thought the basic act of aiming and shooting a gun would never be more fun than it is with CRTs and light guns, but boy was I wrong.
Never heard of that before, sounds awesome!!!

IrishNinja

When they inevitably release a non-stupid edition that's on a disc, I imagine.

I wonder if it'll be a compilation disc with both M2ShotTrigger releases (Garegga + Feveron)

yes please

In Sillent Hill, you have to frantically waggle enemies off of you when they manage to grab you... Ugh, the worst! The ususal sins are present. Shit doesnt register/falseley registers the wrong motion.

ugh, ill defend motion controls here & there, but yeah, as an SH fan i hated the crap out of this, couldn't keep playing cause of those sections.

Morfeo

Picked up a PS4 for £150 today. Wasnt really planned, but figured why not when the price was finally decent. But then, what games should I get for it? I already have Bloodborne, the Dark Souls and Street Fighter on the way. I know its not retro, but figured i could ask here since you guys probably share more of my taste than the rest of gaf.

Galdelico

Picked up a PS4 for £150 today. Wasnt really planned, but figured why not when the price was finally decent. But then, what games should I get for it? I already have Bloodborne, the Dark Souls and Street Fighter on the way. I know its not retro, but figured i could ask here since you guys probably share more of my taste than the rest of gaf.
Retrogaf mode, alright? Wait for M2's Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron. ;)
No PS4, here. Sorry for no better answer, lol.

Leynos

Dariusburst

Wild guns reloaded on the horizon.

Btw re: PS3 - this lot was under 10,000 yen - though I didn't by because already have most the games

CtvCy4kUsAAXitF.jpg
Heh, I totally keep all my games in plastic sleeves just like these. Tracking down all different sleeve sizes was a bitch, though (CD, DVD, PS3, PS4 and X1, DS, 3DS, Vita, etc.)

Galdelico

Heh, I totally keep all my games in plastic sleeves just like these. Tracking down all different sleeve sizes was a bitch, though (CD, DVD, PS3, PS4 and X1, DS, 3DS, Vita, etc.)

I use them mainly for CEs, special boxes, or to protect manuals and carts. I keep Amarays and jewel cases ready to go, though. Honest curious: do people who envelope regular games (as pictured above) keep the discs somewhere else? Or do you open/close the sleeves every time?

Edit - This just came in!

Gradius_zpsgmkti0zn.png

GameBoy Player + GBI are gonna be pleased.

TheWraith

As an American, my favorite Turrican game is Super Turrican; it's an exceptional run & gun. Second would be Mega Turrican. After that I'm not sure, but it'd be Turrican 2/Universal Soldier and Super Turrican 2. All four of those games are A-grade classics for sure, they're great. As for the first game though, it's okay but frustrating and not nearly as good as the later ones thanks to blind jumps, some design issues, etc. The later games improve hugely over it.

Yes, they have their issues, but you're being way too hard on the Genesis versions of the first two games. Sure, they're downgraded from the Amiga in a lot of ways, but they're competent versions of the games. Comparing the console versions of the first Turrican, the TurboGrafx-16 and Game Boy versions both cut some levels out, but the Genesis version is complete, for one thing. Of the console versions of Turrican, the Genesis version is clearly the best one. The graphics and sound are better on the Genesis than the other two versions as well. And as much as the music is definitely worse, at least you get better controls with multiple buttons. But on the other hand, am I remembering right that they made you lose health way faster on consoles? If so that's pretty annoying.

As for Universal Soldier, obviously it's much better on Genesis than Game Boy, comparing the two released ports. The unreleased SNES version is about the same though I think. But on the Genesis, the game has seriously downgraded music versus the amazing Amiga soundtrack, but it still sounds good. They do also cut the shmup levels, which is too bad, but the new levels that replace them are solidly fun, so that at least partially makes up for it; they didn't just cut stuff without adding anything new. And sure, the graphical overhaul some of the sprites got is silly, but it's the same game underneath that so that doesn't bother me. And it adds password saving to the game too, which is great. Universal Soldier is the only Turrican game with saving, and more should have had it too.

Better sound on Amiga v. better graphics and controls on Genesis. Easy Genesis win there, up to jump is the worst!

Cool to hear. How do you feel about the NES (PAL) version of the first Turrican? I have that lying around but haven't gotten to really play it yet.

That's just the packaging for everything at Book Off.
That's exactly where I got the idea (and some bags) from! (Harbor, Costa Mesa)

Honest curious: do people who envelope regular games (as pictured above) keep the discs somewhere else? Or do you open/close the sleeves every time?
I got enough to bag every game I purchase. I also keep the carts or discs in their cases and open/close the bags as needed; they've been durable enough that I've never had to replace one.

Always nice to have a big pile of stuff arrive in one day... I've been focusing on Capcom Disney titles and 90's console ports I've been missing this month and so far the following arrived:
image by gouki16uk, on Flickr

Mercs, Strider Returns (Master System and Mega Drive). Not pictured is the GG port of Strider Returns that I grabbed a fair while back. Returns is supposed to be the usual crap that US Gold released, but I'm interested to see just how bad it is. I don't expect Mercs to be as good as the brilliant Mega Drive port but I do hope it'll be decent at least.

My Little Mermaid and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. MLM was a Famicom game I was missing for quite a while so I'm happy I finally found one that is in good condition, Roger Rabbit I was a bit tepid about but according to Wikipedia, Shinji Mikami worked on the game, so I had to try it!

Always nice to have a big pile of stuff arrive in one day... I've been focusing on Capcom Disney titles and 90's console ports I've been missing this month and so far the following arrived:

Mercs, Strider Returns (Master System and Mega Drive). Not pictured is the GG port of Strider Returns that I grabbed a fair while back. Returns is supposed to be the usual crap that US Gold released, but I'm interested to see just how bad it is. I don't expect Mercs to be as good as the brilliant Mega Drive port but I do hope it'll be decent at least.
oh man! mercs and strider II, i always wanted to play those.

nice!

Olly88

These arrived in the post today;

They should provide plenty of goodness to go through for a while, they look cool at first glance and a quick skim through.

They're £1.99 each here if any fellow Brits want to get them.

oh man! mercs and strider II, i always wanted to play those.

nice!

Since I had my Master System converter on today (Ghouls n Ghosts) I gave the other games a try. Short answer - Mercs seems decent but probably has a few cut backs here and there due to the hardware, but it seems decent so I'll be playing more of it once I get round to it. Strider 2 is so bad that when Capcom released a sequel many years later they also named it Strider 2, thankfully forcing this US Gold created trash out of continuity (not that they probably even remembered it existed in the first place). Both versions suck, with the Master System version being the worse of the two. Level design just sucks, too much cheap shit going on. Not a patch on the original Strider or its real sequel that's for sure.

Always love to see thematic collections/pick-ups. Congrats Shadowman!

Thanks :) I've got a couple more games to come (the real rarities of the lot I picked up, I'm really looking forward to them arriving.

Anyway, back to Ghouls n Ghosts. The Master System port is limited graphically as you'd expect, there are some areas that have less enemies and some enemy types are completely missing from the game (like the tentacles in the first level). All the levels and bosses are here though, so that's something. And yes, the loop is still present as well so you get to do this game through twice, lucky! Or not, as the one huge problem with the game is that you have to grind your way to the ultimate weapon - usually you'd get it when you have the best armor, complete the game and then hit up another chest - you should obtain the ultimate weapon.
But no, in this game since you can upgrade Arthur far more than any other game, you have to collect the best armor and weapons from the treasure room that randomly spawns. You have to basically upgrade your chest armor, helmet, boots and weapons 3 or 4 times (I honestly forget the exact number). Problem is the room is complete random so not only will it not always give you the item you want, it may take forever for the treasure room to spawn from the treasure chest (and instead you'll be stuck with the magician turning you into a duck!) The smallest mercy is that at stage 5-2 there are about 4 chests that are in close proximity to each other so you can at least grind it out there and then hit up the last two bosses (who are hilarious pushovers).

So the rest of the game is a mixed bag. Platforming before you upgrade your boots a few times is a chore as there are several jumps at the end of stage 2 that are so pixel perfect you'll be swearing in frustration as you fall to your death again and again. The game also slows down quite a bit when there is more than a couple of things on screen, which is rather unpleasant. Oh, and the third boss has his attack pattern changed up so that he's a random bastard especially if you have no armor upgrades (armor = permanent health increase).

Its a pity that it has its fair share of problems, as the upgrade idea is good in theory and when fully upgraded the game is a pushover (the second runthrough I did took only a few minutes since Arthur could just destroy anything in his path and he handled great so platforming was no issue. Onto the Mega Drive port next, which I've already completed in the past so I know that one is brilliant. Can't wait!

KC-Slater

I just sold my Naomi Universal Upright cabinet that has a beautiful 29" tri-sync display in perfect shape. (Amazing geometry and absolutely no burn-in. The pull in the bottom corners is a result of the speakers.)

As much as it killed me to part with it, it was heavy as hell, and super bulky, despite looking very sleek.

(Cross-)Posting this for catharsis, lol.

8StZbO1l.jpg

Iv7LpbXl.jpg

Audette

Picked up a new shelf for my shit. Been struggling to find a visually appealing way to arrange all this stuff.

9pK7Srv.jpg

Most the Game Boys are resting on 3D printed stands. The rest are on small acrylic photo stands I found at good will. I did have my Play Arts Sephiroth on there, I had to move it to brainstorm the placement.

Peltz

Where is Rich?

We've been very slow about introducing any screen time but even with only a couple sessions spread across months she knows what "Super Mario" is.

This week, I just found out I'm going to be an uncle! My sister is pregs! I've honestly never been happier in all my life :)

Can't wait to show that little kid all sorts of cool stuff - video games and otherwise.

Morfeo

This week, I just found out I'm going to be an uncle! My sister is pregs! I've honestly never been happier in all my life :)

Can't wait to show that little kid all sorts of cool stuff - video games and otherwise.

Congrats! Its a bit hard being a dad trying to limit my sons gaming time when i have literally thousands of games in the closet, but being the cool uncle that can introduce him/her to games sounds like the perfect situation to be in with regards to games.

I am the cool-ass video game uncle in my family. It rocks!

Khaz

woah GBA everdrive is out? I didn't even notice.

time to play some pokemon hacks on my backlit OG GBA :)

Oh that's cool. I had a couple of M3adapters back in the day, but their batteries dies and aren't easy to replace. Might try it out!
[edit] the cartridge is sticking out :/ I'll wait for a revision.

Top Bottom