• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I was going to buy Martyrs on Amazon just now and the cheapest I can find is 39.00 USD. It's not on Netflix DVDs either. I saw it a couple years ago and can't remember how...

61DPdlNYU7L._SY550_.jpg

My buddy and I watched it without subtitles. I was amazed at how much of it I managed to piece together from what I could remember of French. I wonder if the remake is garbage.

Ridley327

I've still got too many films on my list for the month. Would any of you guys consider Naked Lunch to be horror? I'm having a Cronenberg theme'd week and I'd hate to lose it, but I could always go back to it next month if it's not horror-y enough.

I think it could count, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's a hard film to pigeonhole as anything specific. It certainly makes good use of its horrific imagery and it does have a lot of that same hallucinatory vibe that Videodrome pulled off.

Divius

a0TG4ny.png

#06 - Amsterdamned (1988)
As a Dutchie I usually have a hard time appreciating Dutch movies, mostly because the acting often feels unnatural and makes me cringe. Decided to check out Dick Maas' Amsterdamned regardless because I guess it could be classified as a horror classic of Dutch cinema. It's a total B movie slasher flick with a whodunit vibe but the reveal of who actually didit is absolutely ridiculous (it's such an anticlimactic let-down). Other than that, it's pretty decent! It looks good, has well directed scenes and high production values. I especially enjoyed the boat chase through the canals. Still bummed out by the reveal. 6/10

BioHazard

#9 The Dead Room (2016)

VQIr4r7.png

Paranormal research team investigates some old house in New Zealand. Ghostly stuff ensues, walls are knocked, doors are opened, and coffee is drank. Pretty boring and bland.

2/5

List of films so far

gamz

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

tumblr_n9nmtglEgZ1rwy386o1_500.gif

Released in 1974, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a macabre and frightening tale inspired by the serial killer and canibal Ed Gein. "Inspired by true events", we follow Sally and her "invalid" brother Franklin and a group of her friends as the investigate rumors of graves which have been robbed and twisted by an unnamed individual.

God damn. This movie is beyond depraved and twisted. It's a classic and a film I watch every year, and certain scenes never cease to creep me out. Leatherface is a horror movie icon, and the way that Gunnar Hansen portrays the deviant killer is legendary.

This is a film that experiments a ton with noise. Chainsaws, hammers, metal doors, cutting, slicing, dicing...there actually isn't a ton of on screen blood in the movie, but the sounds of the screams and the chainsaw make up for it and creates something much more uncomfortable in your mind.

tumblr_mjyhhdH4ql1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Watch this.

5/5

This and Last House on the Left always get to me. It's the griminess and they just feel dirty and wrong.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
5. Deep Red

deepred4.jpg

This is a great giallo from Dario Argento. Its very tense because there are a lot of pulled-out camera shots where you aren't sure if you are looking from the killer's perspective or not. The murders themselves are pretty horrifying; I'll never look at a hot bath the same way again. The mystery is well-constructed and the revelation at the end was mind-blowing to me (I immediately went back and checked for myself). The soundtrack is a little upbeat for this kind of movie, but I dug it.

#7 Suspiria - I got to see a 35mm showing of this last night, but was a little disappointed. They ended up showing the heavily edited, R-rated version of the film. I was a little jarring seeing all those edits, missing scenes, etc. Still, it was great to see on the big screen. When I asked why they showed that version afterwards, they said they wanted the audience to view it the same way as those who saw it back in 1977.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Welp, had no intention of doing a marathon, but the mood has hit me to watch lots of horror movies.

1.) Hush

I heard lots of great things about this movie, and loved Occulus, so I was all in. A deaf woman in the woods is terrorized by a guy in a mask. I found this movie to be ok. Nothing really wrong with it, but I mostly forgot it as soon as it was over.

3/5

2.)Basket Case 3

Was trolling through the free movie channels on my Roku and found one with Basket Case 3. Starting in the closing moments of Basket Case 2, Duane and Belial are briefly reunited before being immediately separated again. This movie is trash, but not the good kind like Henenlotter's better movies. The effects are a little better than Basket Case 2, but its largely just kind of dull.

2/5

3.) Killer Klowns From Outer Space

This one is pretty well known. You likely already know if you like it or not. Its cheesy, and intentionally dumb, but its harmless fun. Ventriloquist dummy made out of a corpse is a great idea, and the only remotely creepy thing in the movie.

3/5

Up next: Phantasm 4 and Phantasm Ravager.

Joe Molotov

I watched Phantasm I - IV yesterday. Gonna watch Ravager today or tomorrow. I love fantasy/horror movies that have a cool mythos, like this and Hellraiser.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I watched Phantasm I - IV yesterday. Gonna watch Ravager today or tomorrow. I love fantasy/horror movies that have a cool mythos, like this and Hellraiser.

Yeah, both of those movies have amazing mythos to them. Its a shame Phantasm never caught on enough to get a budget to expand the scope of it. Honestly though, with how weird Phantasm is, its a wonder it even got one big budget movie in the series.

I love Rob Zombie's films, and I'm really looking forward to watching 31 later in the month, but I doubt he'll ever make another movie as good as The Devil's Rejects.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised to find I'm not the only one here who doesn't actively hate his Halloween remakes.

It is very bad.

Round 1
5) The Babadook
fMlvMJkl.jpg

I am a dad, my son's name is Sam. My wife has trouble with him acting out when I'm not around. This movie hits so close to home it was painful to watch. It was like watching an alternate reality of my family if I had died before my son was born. The struggle of parenting and having your world fall apart around you is very frightening. It can be easy to sit back and judge how someone parents, but until you know the full weight of the crushing 24/7 responsibility then you can't begin to comprehend the struggle. This is probably the only 5 out of 5 movie I'd never watch again.

6) The Collector
ZOnMlSWl.jpg

I like it as a precursor to Saw. Some of the traps were way over the top. Who carries that many bear traps? I do admire the man's commitment to a gimmick. I'm going to look for the sequel. The Collector scores 4 bugs burrowing into your stomach out of 5.

7) Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension
c9FAnLul.jpg

I think they are just setting up the plot to Fatal Frame at this point. I've seen the other movies in this series and this is the first use of a spirit camera. They tie together the movies and I guess this has to be the last one because of the ending. The special effects were ok, but nothing that mind blowing.

1TdCwm6m.jpg
1TdCwm6m.jpg
1TdCwm6m.jpg
out of 5.

Ghoulies-Cavity-Colors-620-03.jpg

6. Ghoulies

This movie was... something. Kyle MacLachlan inherits his warlock dad's mansion, then promptly proceeds to follow in his satanic footsteps. He summons a bunch of discount Gremlins and a couple Nelwyns. Chaos predictably ensues. Young, dumb, and horny people die, then don't die, then Deus Ex Machina. The end.

1/4 stars.

ehead

Oct.6
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
220px-Invasion_of_the_body_snatchers_movie_poster_1978.jpg

I think its a good movie. I've probably seen a better movie with similar tones, *cough* The Thing *cough*. Oh and I really love practical effects in the 70s-80s, this movie had one scene where I genuinely felt terrified -
the part when they showed the real body being vacuumed

Cptkrush

5. The Fly

Fly_poster.jpg

Overall:
5/5
I expected this movie to be a lot more horror than what I got. What I got was a tragic tale of an awkward man who takes his experiments a little too far. This was my first Cronenberg film, and I was totally ready to be completely grossed out by the end. I was not expecting the story and the characters to be so compelling. I did not expect to feel sympathetic for Seth Brundle. The pacing of this film is incredibly quick, and I think it works really well as there is no filler here. The story remains front and center the entire film without any gratuitous attempts at scares. The climax is where things get into more traditional horror, but it never gets as scary as it does sad. I wasn't ready for the movie to end as suddenly as it did, but I am kind of happy that everything with Ronnie is left unresolved and up to interpretation. I loved this movie, and the only thing I can complain about would be the baboon that just sort of disappears halfway through the movie.
I read about the cut scene about the monkey/cat, and I'm really glad it isn't in the film. Brundle isn't portrayed a mad scientist at any other point during the film, he still retains most of his humanity through his transformation, and this scene would ruin any sympathy the audience had for him.

Scare Factor:
2/5
This movie is not scary, it's pretty gross toward the end, but nothing too crazy. I expected way worse.

My list so far

Tonight we are watching Frankenstein and then the Wolf Man after. I am really excited for these as I have not seen them since I was a kid.

Aikidoka

(3) Event Horizon

I actually enjoyed this movie. I think the design of the Event horizon, such as the gravity drive above, are really great, and everything does well in establishing a consistent mood. The premise of the movie is also solid, and while I don't think it really deserved the complete critical panning (based on Wikipedia, at least), there are a few aspects of Event Horizon that are very stupid.

The movie did get on my good side pretty early on by not having really incomprehensible technobabble. Frankly, I just really loved that the whole crew just completely ridiculed Dr. Weir for saying he built a faster than light drive, making him clarify that it doesn't actually travel FTL but bends space-time to make the distance between two points much shorter. Moreover, while the way the gravity drive operates was just technobabble, no scientific terms were terribly abused.

Anyways, yeah, there's some inexcusably stupid stuff such as
Starck immediately thinking the ship was alive
, and then one thing that was so incredulous that only the campy-est of films would dare (
Cooper jetpacking himself from orbit of Neptune to surprise attack the Event Horizon...and succeeding!!
). But I suppose the biggest let down was that the horror ended up being just
pure evil/Hell/whatever.
If a little more subtlety and creativity was used to think of something more mysterious/cosmic, the movie would be fairly solid in my mind.

GhaleonEB

Ghoulies-Cavity-Colors-620-03.jpg

6. Ghoulies

This movie was... something. Kyle MacLachlan inherits his warlock dad's mansion, then promptly proceeds to follow in his satanic footsteps. He summons a bunch of discount Gremlins and a couple Nelwyns. Chaos predictably ensues. Young, dumb, and horny people die, then don't die, then Deus Ex Machina. The end.

1/4 stars.

Apparently the original script didn't have the ghoulies in them. After Gremlins was a hit, they added them to the existing script. If you think about it,they don't actually do anything in the film, they just hang out. The story of the warlock is independent of them. :lol

Apparently the original script didn't have the ghoulies in them. After Gremlins was a hit, they added them to the existing script. If you think about it,they don't actually do anything in the film, they just hang out. The story of the warlock is independent of them. :lol
Amazing.

Sometimes I feel like subscribing to Full Moon Streaming and just bask in the awesome awfulness of it all. Maybe next Halloween.

I love Rob Zombie's films, and I'm really looking forward to watching 31 later in the month, but I doubt he'll ever make another movie as good as The Devil's Rejects.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised to find I'm not the only one here who doesn't actively hate his Halloween remakes.

I really like his Halloween remakes, and House of 1000 Corpses. I'm not sure what turns people off from it. They're trashy, pulpy, grimy films. If anything Devils Rejects lacks some of what I enjoy most about 'House' and H2.

I think the design of the Event horizon, such as the gravity drive above, are really great, and everything does well in establishing a consistent mood. The premise of the movie is also solid, and while I don't think it really deserved the complete critical panning (based on Wikipedia, at least), there are a few aspects of Event Horizon that are very stupid.
Yeah, it's funny- amazing concepts and horror coupled with crippling character decisions.

12. The Last Man on Earth (1964)
I love Vincent Price, I love the music, the story, the source material, everything about it. I think it's way better than Omega Man and I Am Legend.

Vincent Price is so great. He can make even the worst movies watchable. Probably my second place mancrush after Bill Murray.

tumblr_nh8noa9ss41rp0vkjo1_500.gif

#8 Torso (FTV) - A neat little giallo with some pretty nasty imagery for 1973. Tons of nudity. I enjoyed it for the most part, and I know the film was famous for cleverly disguising who the killer was. I had it figured out 10 minutes after the movie started. Not quite as good as I was hoping, but a decent giallo all the same.

Rating - 6.5/10
Genre: Giallo

8) Shivers - (David Cronenberg, 1975)

"Roger, I had a very disturbing dream last night. In this dream I found myself making love to a strange man. Only I'm having trouble you see, because he's old... and dying... and he smells bad, and I find him repulsive. But then he tells me that everything is erotic, that everything is sexual. You know what I mean? He tells me that even old flesh is erotic flesh. That disease is the love of two alien kinds of creatures for each other. That even dying is an act of eroticism. That talking is sexual. That breathing is sexual. That even to physically exist is sexual. And I believe him, and we make love beautifully."
This early film from Cronenberg is one of the best, and most disturbing, twists on the zombie film I've ever seen. Set in a utopian, self-sustaining island high rise facility for the rich, it soon becomes infested by a parasite that turns everyone into sexual maniacs, assaulting anyone they can in order to propagate its life cycle. The film opens in a pretty shocking way, and doesn't let up from there. There's some black humor mixed in, but for the most part I was incredibly creeped out for most of the film, especially in the third act when things go full tilt. Not only does it bring the claustrophobic terror of a zombie film (leveraging its setting wonderfully) filled with plenty of requisite grotesque Cronenbergian body horror, but it's also an intellectually driven Freudian nightmare. Even though it's one of his early films it is remarkably well realized, and I highly recommend it to Cronenberg fans who haven't seen it yet.

Does that mean you liked it? Bay of Blood is my next Bava, but I'm waiting for my arrow bluray to arrive before I continue on with the rest of his stuff.

It's... interesting. I have some issues with it I'll go over later in my review (waiting until I watch my next Lamberto so I can include them together for Bava(s) Week - Part 3).

It won me over in the end though.

It's... interesting. I have some issues with it I'll go over later in my review (waiting until I watch my next Lamberto so I can include them together for Bava(s) Week - Part 3).

It won me over in the end though.

Haha looking forward to reading your review then (and for arrow to deliver my damn disc in a timely manner!)

overcast

I'm hyped because the cheap theater near me is showing Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) which I've never seen and is on my list.

Lights Out is being shown there for the next few weeks too.

Shivers me timbers.

I like Bay of Blood, but yeah, all the
twists and double-crossings
get pretty silly. Fortunately, story is not why I watch Bava films.

Edit: also need to watch a restored copy of it. Last time I saw it was on VHS.

FiggyCal

Banned
What didn't you like about it? I think Antichrist is pretty great/horrifying

I feel like the nudity and explicit sex scenes were really off putting and not in a way that's fun for the viewer. I was also not a fan of the ambience/lack of music and dialogue. There really wasn't enough happening and they don't give us a reason to be afraid of the woods until way later. The suspense came in at the last quarter or so of the film, like they forgot the type of movie they wanted to make. Also don't call your film antichrist if that's not what it's really about...

MattyH

introducing a friend to some aussie horror tonight with #6 The Loved Ones i was gonna go with wolf creek but its a pretty dark film in places so figured id go with something lighter in tone

I feel like the nudity and explicit sex scenes were really off putting and not in a way that's fun for the viewer. I was also not a fan of the ambience/lack of music and dialogue. There really wasn't enough happening and they don't give us a reason to be afraid of the woods until way later. The suspense came in at the last quarter or so of the film, like they forgot the type of movie they wanted to make. Also don't call your film antichrist if that's not what it's really about...

I don't think "fun for the viewer" was really a goal for Lars von Trier in this film haha, and off-putting is exactly the intended effect. The lack of music and sparse dialogue helped make the film extremely unsettling to me, especially combined with the ethereal and haunting visuals:
tumblr_nnc94oL0gl1teygvgo2_r1_540.gif

It's not really that we had to be afraid of the woods themselves, but the mental depreciation of the wife that is is set up at the beginning of the movie. But as it continues, obviously the tension spreads to other aspects as well. "Antichrist"is a misleading title in that it doesn't have to do with the antichrist at all, but I think it's fitting on an allegorical level because the film is about inversions, and the evil that lurks within them; nature vs civilization and man vs woman being two obvious ones. There's also a theme of exploring the evils of misogyny in the film, so if Christ is supposed to be the savior of man, then Antichrist can be read as the destroyer of women in this context. It's a pretty complex movie though, and there are a ton of different readings you could have of it. Even though it's illusive, I think it's a profoundly disturbing movie even factoring out the graphic violence.

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't think "fun for the viewer" was really a goal for Lars von Trier in this film haha. The lack of music and sparse dialogue helped make the film extremely unsettling to me, especially combined with the ethereal and haunting visuals:
tumblr_nnc94oL0gl1teygvgo2_r1_540.gif

It's not really that we had to be afraid of the woods themselves, but the mental depreciation of the wife that is is set up at the beginning of the movie. But as it continues, obviously the tension spreads to other aspects as well. "Antichrist"is a misleading title in that it doesn't have to do with the antichrist at all, but I think it's fitting on an allegorical level because the film is about inversions, and the evil that lurks within them; nature vs civilization and man vs woman being two obvious ones. There's also a theme of exploring the evils of misogyny in the film, so if Christ is supposed to be the savior of man, then Antichrist can be read as the destroyer of women in this context. It's a pretty complex movie though, and there are a ton of different readings you could have of it. Even though it's illusive, I think it's a profoundly disturbing movie even factoring out the graphic violence.

Well "fun" wasn't really the right word. I did like th "unholy" feel this move was going for. I got the same sense from watching "The Witch" -- like this is a movie I really shouldn't be watching. Which is a rare thing to pull off. But at the end of the day, I do want to be entertained by your movie... in the sense that I want to feel some sort of emotion and it shouldn't be daunting.

Well "fun" wasn't really the right word. I did like th "unholy" feel this move was going for. I got the same sense from watching "The Witch" -- like this is a movie I really shouldn't be watching. Which is a rare thing to pull off. But at the end of the day, I do want to be entertained by your movie...

The Witch definitely gave me some of the same vibes thanks to nature being such an oppressive force, and it covers some of the same thematic ground. But yeah, if you're looking for an entertaining romp, Antichrist for sure isn't it. It's some heavy, heavy viewing.

FiggyCal

Banned
The Witch definitely gave me some of the same vibes thanks to nature being such an oppressive force, and it covers some of the same thematic ground. But yeah, if you're looking for an entertaining romp, Antichrist for sure isn't it. It's some heavy, heavy viewing.

I guess thinking about it now, I'm not really sure what I wanted out of the film. im having a hard time describing my issues with how I felt as a viewer -- aside from saying that it wasn't for me.

I guess thinking about it now, I'm not really sure what I wanted out of the film. im having a hard time describing my issues with how I felt as a viewer -- aside from saying that it wasn't for me.

That's fair, von Trier is certainly not for everyone, particularly this one.

#9 Pieces (FTV) (1982) - Fun slasher film that is full of unintentionally absurd moments which makes a lot of the movie hilarious. Great death scenes, and gore FX. I wouldn't say that it's a good movie by any means though.

Rating: 6/10
Genre: 80s Slasher

Divius

#9 Pieces (FTV) (1982) - Fun slasher film that is full of unintentionally absurd moments which makes a lot of the movie hilarious. Great death scenes, and gore FX. I wouldn't say that it's a good movie by any means though.

That final shot though! Uggg

lordxar

I really like his Halloween remakes, and House of 1000 Corpses. I'm not sure what turns people off from it. They're trashy, pulpy, grimy films. If anything Devils Rejects lacks some of what I enjoy most about 'House' and H2.

House of 1000 Corpses just sucks. It's been a while since I've watched it so I don't have details but I remember finishing and deciding to never return. Same with Lords of Salem. Their as Rob Zombie as you get. Someone here or in another thread mentioned his shtick and how it permeates everything he does from movies to music and that is 100% it. He has some music and certain movies that are awesome but after that it's all kind of his usual and I don't care for his usual output but his exceptional output is good. Maybe I'd put it this way, House o Corpses feels like a b movie where DR feels like a movie with a good director and decent budget.

I love Pieces. It's so fun.

gabbo

#5 The Last Man On Earth
OwTNpSH.jpg

Vincent Price completely outdoes every aspect of I Am Legend (the Will Smith movie) on his own. He's way more believable as a scientist, and the last human being alive on the verge of insanity. Watching the film reels and seeing him laugh until he's clearly lost it is a great scene to showcase this. The cinematography, is claustrophobic with closeups up the empty places Morgan travels every day. Including the hill where he drops the corpses and burns them. Somehow a simple hill is able to induce dread all on its own. The flashbacks focusing on Morgan, his family, and the impending doom of mankind really make he and the story feel believable and easier to relate to.

The villains being somewhere between zombie and vampire, are definitely threatening, even if they're just actors in cheap pancake makeup. That they taunt Morgan during the night, calling out to him while they break his shit or bang on the walls of his house, adds to their eerie appeal (and certainly scarier than the albino CGI Will Smith fought). They're clearly still at least in part, human, which makes Morgan's ordeal all the worse. He knows some of these people, but he has to kill them or he'll die.

The 'bad guys' are an interesting twist, and it makes the ending all the more tragic. Even the new form of 'humanity' can't overcome the evils and ills of the past.
Not scary at all, from a terror sense, but certainly on a dramatic level.

lordxar

I couldn't sleep last night and I this looked short but interesting. It's some giallo type flick that runs about 65 minutes, killer kills then gets blackmailed by another killer. Seems cool enough. The one thing about giallo flicks I've seen is that you don't see the killer. Maybe a glove or masked face but no killer. That usually goes until the big reveal but in between killer scenes you have normal people scenes setting up who a character is or who the investigator is blah blah. This has none of that. So you get 65 minutes of killer pov which is fucking painful to watch after a while. I now get why your standard movies have normal bits mixed with insanity bits just to contrast everything.

This does have a cool story though. Knock about 40 minutes out to get right down to it or maybe add another 40 and put some normal stuff in. This whole killer pov business just felt gimmicky. Another thing that got irritating was the film style. It was apparently filmed with modern equipment then had some digital fuzz added to look old. Which was cool at first but then it just looked too clean after a while like a bad photoshop. Maybe I got so damn bored watching killer A play with his/her dolls and killer B futz around with medical shit that I got bored and started picking the filmmaking apart. Who knows but this was cool once and I could recommend it if your into giallo type stuff and think this sounds interesting but its definitely not worth going back to.

Poster_Sonno_Profondo_Wiki.jpg

Top Bottom