• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENZHEN I/O - new game from Zachtronics

really enjoying this game so far, just found a more efficient way to complete the 3rd puzzle than my first design. crazy how satisfying it was to do so.

Aeana

That feeling when

Mt9Km24.png

Soi-Fong

If PSVR wasn't coming I'd so get this! Off to the wishlist it is. As a programmer, I'm really curious to see how they handled that aspect.

FLD

Competing on the leaderboards is half the fun of these games but only one of the people I added from the TIS thread bought this one. :(

If anyone wants to add me, there's a link to my Steam profile in my GAF profile.

It's just history repeating itself. The TIS thread died after about three pages, and then blow up a few months later,

Didn't it blow up once Durante started playing? Quick, someone gift him the game!

RustyO

Why did I only just find out about this now? :|

SpaceChem is awesome. I still need to get onto TIS-100P

And this looks right up my alley as well.

So... what was in the LE (just physical manual?), and how much was it?

Edit: I've got two spare copies of Space Chem on my Steam account... I think its high time I see if I can trade them for TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O...

Edit #2: Can't access Steam marketplace without buying something :/

Feep

Banned
I agree with Blizzard...TIS-100 was great, and I *know* this game is great, I don't even have to play it, but...I do this sort of work during the day, and I *like* this sort of work, but I think it's just a little too close for comfort. Continuing on in the same mindset during a workday just doesn't appeal to me, on a base level.

BUT EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD BUY AND PLAY THIS GAME YO

ThisGuy

Looks interesting, what is this though? It's a puzzle game based around creating circuits with logic gates?

Could someone summarize what this is, why it's enjoyable?

low-G

TIS-100 is legit educational, more than a puzzle game. This is like TIS-100 but with luxurious presentation. Even music! Very nice feel.

FLD

Looks interesting, what is this though? It's a puzzle game based around creating circuits with logic gates?

Could someone summarize what this is, why it's enjoyable?

It's not logic gates, it's more like assembly programming. It's very similar to the developer's previous game TIS-100, the biggest difference is how you structure your solutions.

The appeal mainly comes from how open-ended the puzzles are. Your solution for any given level will likely be completely different from mine, which makes it all the more interesting when trying to optimize and compete on the leaderboards.

If you've played the developer's other games SpaceChem or Infinifactory, you should have a pretty good idea of what kind of games they are. TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O simply don't hide the fact that they're programming games.

Still haven't beaten SpaceChem
Still haven't started Infinifactory or TIS-100

And yet I still want to buy this game

I'm in a similar situation except I'm very close to beating all three. But the last few puzzles are always so damn hard! I was trying to at least finish Infinifactory before Shenzhen's release but then I got to the last set of puzzles and as soon as I saw the first one I realized it just wasn't going to happen in the time I had left. I'll beat them all eventually, they're too good for me not to get back to them at some point.

So... what was in the LE (just physical manual?), and how much was it?

Documents on how you came to have the job at Shenzhen Longteng Electronics Co. Ltd., datasheets about the various components you'll use and the stuff you'll use them to build, programming language notes, a printout of a page that recommends IE 3.0 or higher to view properly.

And, of course: the MYSTERY ENVELOPE! In other words, some real cool shit.

$40 total, so an extra $25. It's really well done, I think.

1upsuper

I've never heard of this developer before, and I can't quite figure out from videos how this game actually plays out. Could someone with almost zero programming knowledge get into it?

RustyO

Documents on how you came to have the job at Shenzhen Longteng Electronics Co. Ltd., datasheets about the various components you'll use and the stuff you'll use them to build, programming language notes, a printout of a page that recommends IE 3.0 or higher to view properly.

And, of course: the MYSTERY ENVELOPE! In other words, some real cool shit.

$40 total, so an extra $25. It's really well done, I think.

Oooohh.... shiny. I'm not really one for LE's but that would like great on the shelf next to Stroustrup's book...

Vlad

I've never heard of this developer before, and I can't quite figure out from videos how this game actually plays out. Could someone with almost zero programming knowledge get into it?

Yeah, Infinifactory is the easiest to get into.

If say that this videi does a good job explaining what's so special about a Zachtronics game.

...while I absolutely love and adore everything Zachtronics does..

I don't think I can ever bring myself to actually play these games. waaaaaay too damn complicated for me.

I reccommend them to all my friends who are into electronics though, they love em! :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm gonna try diving into this over the weekend - like with TIS, I'll probably spend 4-5 hours just going over the reading material and practicing stuff in the tutorial levels.

Is the general consensus so far that this is better than TIS-100?

KKRT00

After 27 years. I finally learnt how to play Solitaire. Never interested in card games. More fun than I thought.

This is way harder solitaire than windows' one :)

---
I'm gonna try diving into this over the weekend - like with TIS, I'll probably spend 4-5 hours just going over the reading material and practicing stuff in the tutorial levels.

Is the general consensus so far that this is better than TIS-100?

Too early for me to tell, but it has potential to be much better.

--
Don't worry about it just yet. :p

There's a new part a bit later that makes this possible.
Oh ok :)

I got 202 with normal modules :)
VqjSBkS.png

can someone explain to me what "part not sleeping" refers to when I have set the part to sleep directly after the command it locks up on?

I'm trying to complete the animated esports sign puzzle with three mc4000s, one handling the "clicking" while another handles drink 0, meanwhile sending a 1 or a 0 to the third mc4000 depending on its state, which will then send two different pulses out of p0 and p1 when activated. My code for the second mc4000 is as follows:

mov 100 p0
mov 0 x1
slp 6
mov 0 p0
mov 1 x1
slp 4

Every time I run it says part not sleeping. I've used similar code for the mc4000 handling the clicking part of the sign, so I'm not sure why this code isn't working here. I must be missing something in the manual.

ymgve

can someone explain to me what "part not sleeping" refers to when I have set the part to sleep directly after the command it locks up on?

I'm trying to complete the animated esports sign puzzle with three mc4000s, one handling the "clicking" while another handles drink 0, meanwhile sending a 1 or a 0 to the third mc4000 depending on its state, which will then send two different pulses out of p0 and p1 when activated. My code for the second mc4000 is as follows:

Every time I run it says part not sleeping. I've used similar code for the mc4000 handling the clicking part of the sign, so I'm not sure why this code isn't working here. I must be missing something in the manual.

That error seems to happen mostly when you haven't synchronized things on the xbus properly - if a value isn't consumed whithin one cycle (I think) it complains.

pronk420

How do you get people on your leaderboard? My steam ID url thing is just my username on here

Could we make a steam community for it or something?

FLD

How do you get people on your leaderboard? My steam ID url thing is just my username on here

Could we make a steam community for it or something?

Leaderboards are friends-only, so you need friends that own and play the game for there to be anyone on them.

That error seems to happen mostly when you haven't synchronized things on the xbus properly - if a value isn't consumed whithin one cycle (I think) it complains.

yep, that's all it was. just set the third chip to read and it works fine. should have known better. thanks!

I wish I could get into these games, I did love what part of Spacechem I played but assembly language tends to go over my head. Still, watching Scott Manley going through the limited edition is making me wish I had known about this earlier to have bought it... Maybe I'll still grab the game sometime and try to get over my issues comprehending assembly language and low level programming.

KKRT00

Added folks from last page, here's me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012593241

Anyone else missing histograms, partic. on OSX?

I still cant comprehend how you managed to do this in 9 instructions!
I did one input in 8 instruction, but adding second one and synchronizing it is exceeding 14 instructions for me even.

ta4zGsx.png

This game is brutal on your mind. My original solutions is shitty and could easily optimize, but after seeing your, i just cant try anything but one node solution :p

Mugen08

Just out of curiosity, anyone outside the US who have received their Limited Edition? I am still waiting for mine, probably some customs trouble as usual, but I noticed someone showed off their LE-contents earlier in the thread.

Edit: Nvm maybe, from Zachtronics:
If you're inside the United States you should be getting your package by/on/around this Friday (10/7); if you're not, it'll probably vary wildly based on where you live.

Holden

I still cant comprehend how you managed to do this in 9 instructions!
I did one input in 8 instruction, but adding second one and synchronizing it is exceeding 14 instructions for me even.

ta4zGsx.png

This game is brutal on your mind. My original solutions is shitty and could easily optimize, but after seeing your, i just cant try anything but one node solution :p

DFX124F.jpg

!

kami_sama

OMG, when you discover via email that
you can only execute instructions once using @ and the gen instruction
Bastards those at Zachtronics :p

Top Bottom