• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENZHEN I/O - new game from Zachtronics

FLD

I'm a bit disappointed by the low turnout of friends I have listed in-game. I had tons of people in my TIS-100 lists after adding some for that, and I'd have expected at least half or so of those to also play this game. But beyond the introductory levels I usually only find 0-2 friends on the list.

Also, the scores from previous patches need to be re-verified. Which I know a lot of people on my list haven't bothered with.

Yeah, I imagine a lot of people are in the same situation as me. I haven't touched the game since October, so my scores are likely "wiped". I remember reading patch notes that mentioned adding in a reverification tool to facilitate the process, I'll fire up the game in a bit and check it out.

edit: Yeah, it's in the options and takes like 5 seconds to run.

Durante

I had some trouble getting into this game as I never quite cottoned on to how power actually worked, as opposed to the cycles in TIS-100 where it was really obvious.
As far as I can tell power is just the sum of active (non-sleeping, non-masked) instructions executed across all components.
(Which makes optimizing for it somewhat strange since you can throw a huge number of non-microcontroller components at the problem for no power cost)

I'm the opposite - loved this game but I can't wrap my head around the synchronous multithreading in TIS 100. Only beat like 4 puzzles.
I like this game a lot, but not quite as much as TIS-100 -- which is a good thing really, that was unhealthy. I miss my computed goto instruction.

Also, the scores from previous patches need to be re-verified. Which I know a lot of people on my list haven't bothered with.
That explains a lot! Everyone reading this who could be affected by that, please go into the game and use the "re-verify all solutions" button.

Arulan

drinkinggameydq5z.png

I feel like I embarked on a long journey to get from ~300 power usage to where it is now, and I'm still just short.

Speaking of which, do you get
any more parts beyond the first batch, which included the logic gates, additional memory, DX300, and so-on
?

Man, I need to get back into this. Real programming work picked up, and so many other games came out right around the time they reset the leaderboards (a couple of times?). Still haven't opened that envelope, though!

Will F

Only put a couple hours into it so far, but it's pretty fantastic! I'm a software engineer by day, so you'd think i'd want to do something else in my free time, but the Zachtronics games definitely scratch an itch.

Feel free to add me if you want more competition on the leaderboards: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bricolage

d00d3n

It was such a luxury to have SWP and SAV in TIS-100. MC4000 is a horrible product in comparison with the basic TIS-100 node. MC6000 is a lot more useful, but so damn expensive for the price performance metric and takes a lot of space on the board. I appreciate that this game is taunting me to git gud with the memory nodes that I largely neglected in TIS-100, but early game Shenzhen seems a good deal more difficult than the beginning of TIS-100.

ShaunBRS

It was such a luxury to have SWP and SAV in TIS-100. MC4000 is a horrible product in comparison with the basic TIS-100 node. MC6000 is a lot more useful, but so damn expensive for the price performance metric and takes a lot of space on the board. I appreciate that this game is taunting me to git gud with the memory nodes that I largely neglected in TIS-100, but early game Shenzhen seems a good deal more difficult than the beginning of TIS-100.

I've definitely missed SWP and JRO (especially JRO ACC) for some of these things. I too largely avoided the stack memory in TIS-100 whenever I could, and only recently cottened-on to polling memory adresses w/ 1/200P instead of running a count in ACC.

I think Shenzhen has more room for brute-forcing a 'dumb' solution as you get further along, though, and for that I am truly thankful. I feel some of my later stuff would make Durante unfriend me.

Top Bottom