• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

large_dVP8tE9bV2oIv1l0aWtTUJndZvc.jpg

Orphan [2009]

Started off slowly, but a very creepy movie with a climax that kept me on edge throughout. A fantastic performance by Esther, who was around 11-12 when this was filmed.

I do wish that more motivation was fleshed out for her actions, though. They didn't really do a good job at getting across why she was as disturbed as she is. I thought the reveal that she was actually much older was well done, so well done in fact, I started to question whether it was a different actress at the end.

[7]

Croc

Banned
I didn't realize this was a thing people did! After going to a friend's birthday party on the 1st and watching E.T. and then The Thing (after midnight), I decided to continue on watching something every day.

So far my list has been:

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
The Thing
Scanners
Event Horizon
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Carrie
Witching & Bitching
The Reanimator

#3 Harbinger Down (2015)
Director: Alec Gillis
BZp1lP7.jpg

I checked this film after it was mentioned in this thread, it turned out to be an alright film. The monster designs were really interesting, if they ever do a dead space like film this team would probably do a good job on it. The film suffered from a lot things, but it's what you expect from a crowdfunded film. It got me interested enough to look out for whatever kind of work they do next.

#4 Southbound (2015)
Directors: Roxanne Benjamin, David Bruckner, Patrick Horvath and Radio Silence
C5Llcso.jpg

An anthology horror film setting in the rural south. Overall the film was pretty weak, the accident segment stood out to me the most, I always enjoy a scene where it snowballs out of control. The creatures in the way out and the way in were cool, I wish they did more with them. Jailbreak and Siren were the weakest segments, just couldn't care for the characters in them.

Krampus_poster.jpg

Krampus - Dir. Michael Dougherty

First time seeing this and a big fan of the director (Trick R Treat).

Film was a fucking delight and Dougherty REALLY has a talent of hitting that nostalgia sweetspot (Joe Dante/Gremlins, etc.) while still maintaining his own style. The movie obviously pays homage to the 80s both with it's practical effects as well as tone/setting. While it's mostly fun, it does have some legit unsettling bits (while still maintaining a PG-13!).

Highly Recommended!

Zombine

Banned

Halloween (2007)
michael-myers-halloween-2007.jpg

What can I say? This is an awful movie. Not only does Rob Zombie not get what makes Michael Myers scary, he made him boring. This film is full of cringe worthy moments and kid Michael looks like evil Thurman Murman. Sometimes less is more.

1/5

12) Dressed to Kill - (Brian De Palma, 1980)

"Don't make me be a bad girl again."

Sounds like that should be added to my list. *adds it*

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Krampus_poster.jpg

Krampus - Dir. Michaell Dougherty

First time seeing this and a big fan of the director (Trick R Treat).

Film was a fucking delight and Dougherty REALLY has a talent of hitting that nostalgia sweetspot (Joe Dante/Gremlins, etc.) while still maintaining his own style. The movie obviously pays homage to the 80s both with it's practical effects as well as tone/setting. While it's mostly fun, it does have some legit unsettling bits (while still maintaining a PG-13!).

Highly Recommended!

As much as I dread a Gremlins remake happening, I think I'd be down if Dougherty were attached. Make it happen, Hollywood.

10. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

I'm already liking this more than the Friday the 13th and Halloween movies. The dream world allows for more creativity, despite spending a good deal in the boiler room. Freddy is an interesting villain even if he doesn't talk much, but he has his tricks, the knives on metal, and those weird '80s sounds, like when he sticks his tongue through the phone. Also cool was Tina being dragged around the room.

Full list

Ridley327

Dressed to Kill is top-tier trashy fun. If you aren't on board with the film after the completely gratuitous opening, it likely won't work at all for you, but it commits to the damn bit.

October 9, film 2

For a little while, we are threatened with a calmer Ken Russell. While the dialogue is as deliciously theatrical as it always is, with both Hugh Grant and Peter Capaldi having a lot of droll fun with their parts, and there is a musical number as required by law, the film takes its time with its setup, and the use of actual English countryside scenery stands in stark contrast from the delirious inventions of Russell films past. And then the clouds part and so appears Amanda Donohoe in a camp performance of true artisan quality as our villain, a kind of half vampire/half snake person with a wardrobe selection to die for and an over-the-top appreciation for all things serpentine, including her own mannerisms as she is charmed by the sound of a harmonica ditty, which is somehow not the strangest trance she loses herself to. Indeed, Donohoe's arrival to the film gives it the shot in the arm it needed to start unfurling the really strange stuff, which still takes its time but comes with a greater purpose. Sure, there are some pretty amazing moments of what-the-fuckery to be had, particularly in the SOV hallucinations that look and feel like rejected concepts from The Devils, including, and you have to understand that I am not making this up, a ritual gang rape that's intentionally hilarious. Truth be told, you can immediately stop expecting this film to come up with new ways of figuring out how to amaze you with its audacity, because it simply will, especially in the third act where there's a good argument to be made for the film pulling out the crazy quite literally out of its ass. Russell handles the proceedings in a fun matter of fact manner: none of the characters seem that particularly surprised that there's a wyrm in hiding, or that there are half vampire/half snake person hybrids, and seem all too eager to come up with their own daffy matches of absurdity. This one is a straighter horror film, though it's one that's light on the scares and surprisingly light on the gore (for a time, at least), so anyone expecting a slight reworking of a vampire flick is bound to be tremendously disappointed. However, anyone with an inkling for the joyously bizarre should apply immediately, as this is one fun gasser that doesn't ask much of from you other than to keep an open mind since it is going to be soon filled with images and ideas that you could not have known you wanted until this film shows them to you.

Film for October 10: After the insanity of the past couple of days, it's about time to come back down to earth. Hitchhikers have often been bad news on film, so I'll be checking out another long overdue film in the horror canon: The Hitcher. Embarrassingly enough, I've seen the god-awful remake prior to the original, so this is one wrong I'm eager to get right.

Oh my god, Sleepaway Camp.

I heard of this via How Did This Get Made many years ago, but never got around to seeing it.

Holy shit what a weird fucking movie. It's pretty bad in any number of ways, both unintentional and simply as a result of the period in which it was made, but it sure was a fun watch.

#5 Pumpkinhead (1988)
Director: Stan Winston
9zpGHN6.jpg

A man takes revenge on some teens by summoning a demon. This was pretty good, but Pumpkinhead (the creature) was a disappointment. I don't know how most people feel about the monster but it was just too out in the open. I did like the way it grabbed people, the way it's claw wrapped around peoples heads was pretty menacing. I liked ‎Lance Henriksen‎'s transformation better than the monster. Nothing else stood out to me, I might check out the sequals.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
9. The Innocents

innocents.png

The Innocents is an excellent ghost story. A woman starts a care-taking position at a home where she begins seeing ghosts and wonders if the children know more than they are saying. They mystery is never fully explained, which makes the conclusion all the more shocking. The atmosphere of the movie is excellent. It uses sound and light really well. My favorite sequence is when Miss Giddens is walking through the house with the candelabra, as she begins hearing various noises and voices. The child actors are impressive. They're so smug and creepy. I enjoyed this a lot.

#6 Chopping Mall (1986)
Director: Jim Wynorski
o1RXdNa.jpg

Chopping Mall is just some fun times. Imagine what if the ED 209 from Robocop had a tenth of it's budget, you get the Protector 101 (Killbots). A group of young couples must fight off these Killbots that have short circuited because of a lightning storm. This was a fun movie, although the Killbots are just silly to watch as they rampage through the mall it stays entertaining. To see these young people have such easy access to guns, bullets and propane tanks is also great. I've also discovered that I love the mall as a setting to horror films and hope I can find some more. I've already seen both Dawn of the Dead films but I hope there is more out there.

ehead

I missed posting daily so here were my previous choices:

Oct.7
Evil Dead (2013)
220px-EvilDead2013Poster.jpg

This is like the 3rd time I saw this. Its still great. Whatever happened to the planned sequel?

Oct.8
Lights Out (2016)
220px-Lights_Out_2016_poster.jpg

Whatever happened to providing some mystery to horror movies? The first half of this movie was fantastic but the moment when they tried to expound details about the story like every other horror movie, the scare factor was lost. This is where the short film was great and effective.

Oct.9
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
220px-Dawn_of_the_Dead_2004_movie.jpg

Another re-watch since I've been missing on some good zombie movie. I believe its equally as good as the original movie. It hit all the points for a good undead film and I want to see Zack Snyder do more in the same genre.

GhaleonEB

#9: Spring | via Netflix DVD

Basically, it's Before Sunrise, but the woman has a certain...affliction.

Very strongly acted, written and directed, this is mostly a romance film with some dark undertones and a couple of horror elements, but I would not characterize it as a horror film. It's not scary, not gory (a few moments aside) and there's relatively little suspense. The dialogue is very naturalistic and the leads have tremendous chemistry, with some delightful supporting characters. (The old Italian man who helps out the lead with a place to stay is great.)

The plot was a bit meandering, but it's worth it as the character work is so strong. That said, I hated the ending. A lot of people will probably love it. But once it was clear the story was going to go in a certain direction, I got really sad. It's set up for a character to make a very important choice, and I just found myself rooting hard for it to go the other direction. I was actually quite angry when the credits rolled. Still, that's a preferential thing, rather than poor writing.

I'm being very non-specific with the story as I went in totally blind and I think that's the way to go with this. Solid film.

**** tiny pumpkins out of five

Prior films:

10/1: Stung ***
10/2: Animal **
10/3 The Hallow *
10/4: Beneath ****
10/5: Harbinger Down ****
10/6: The Canal *
10/7: Dead Snow *
10/8: The Thing *****
10/9: Spring ****

Steamlord

#12 - Who Can Kill a Child? (¿Quién puede matar a un niño? / Island of the Damned) [1976]

uk7XR86m.jpg

I can see why some people like it, but it didn't really do it for me. It was slow moving, the characters were dumb as rocks, and the acting was mediocre. It had its moments, but overall it just didn't grab me. If I were that couple I would be right back on the damn boat heading for the mainland like twenty minutes into the movie. Also I burst out laughing during the finale; I don't know if that says more about the film or about me. If the film had just been better put together, or approached as a black comedy instead, it would have worked so much better. Also all that footage in the opening credits was totally unnecessary. I mean, I can stomach it, but there was just no reason for it to be there - it didn't tie into the story at all. I have no trouble saying that La residencia is the superior Serrador film, and definitely the one I would recommend.

#13 - Night of the Eagle / Burn, Witch, Burn! [1962]

ZxKB9COm.jpg

A bit silly at times, but overall fairly charming and well acted and directed. For the most part it upholds the sort of ambiguity that Tourneur's Night of the Demon was originally intended to contain, and indeed it has the feel of a Tourneur / Lewton film in many respects, though it doesn't reach the heights of their best work. The movie starts off a bit slow, but it picks up later on. The villain is probably the most entertaining part of the movie, despite not being revealed until late in the film. Overall it feels like a bit of a holdover from the 50s, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Fox Mulder

#9 Dawn of the Dead (2004)

I like remakes that change things to make them unique as the original is so great. I really enjoy this film and take on the zombies and outbreak.

Zeusy

my list so far:

1. Evil Dead (2013)
2. The Conjuring
3. It Follows
4. Clown
5. Saw II
6. The Last Exorcism part II

will update as I add more, still need to catch up to the daily amount.

#7 Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
Director: Tommy Lee Wallace
sYLBrma.jpg

Tom Atkins is a badass in this bizarre Halloween film. Having nothing to do with the previous Halloween films, this story is about a man who plots to kill everyone through Halloween mask. I first found out that this wasn't a Michael Myers film through the How did this get made podcast, and listening to what it was about, I almost couldn't believe how crazy the plot sounded like. Crazy film and worth a watch.

#11 Shock, AKA: Beyond the Door 2 (FTV) (1978) - The last film from the great Mario Bava is a rather good and chilling tale. Daria Nicolodi does a great job in her role, and I love how the film builds to its ending. A memorable and fun haunted house story.

OP

---

Film 16 - The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

I wish I was seeing this for the first time without having seen the remake. This is still a great watch and is intense at parts but the impact was diminished a fair bit for me.

It was interesting to see how this differed from the remake in different parts. I generally liked the family more (short of Bob but I didn't like him in the remake either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) and appreciated that this didn't get into some of the heavy handed weirdness that the remake did. I'd have to give a slight edge to the remake as far as intensity goes but nearly everything else in the original is superior, especially the ending.

The sequel to this one seems to have quite the reputation. My morbid curiosity makes me want to give that a look sometime as well.

#8 The Howling (1981)
Director: Joe Dante
MuCLl4n.jpg

Wow, this film was great. Werewolf transformations were great, plot and characters were good, overall a great film. I like the intimidation of the werewolves in the middle of transforming, that was used to great effect. I also liked the hubris of the werewolves right before their weakness was exploited. I'll probably be checking out some more werewolf films this month. Good movie.

Edit: I realize now I have six movies on one page. I've been playing catch up all night doing a movie marathon, only two films to go.

Zombine

Banned

Tremors

tumblr_mmf3nh8dDh1qg4blro1_r1_400.gif

This is one of the most charming, fun, quotable, and engaging monster movies you will ever see in your life. Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, and Finn Carter are incredibly charismatic and are three of the most organic co stars you will ever witness on screen.

This film, along with The Thing has some of the most stunning practical effects you will ever see in a horror movie:

dPQ0p8x.gif

I'm not even going to get into the plot. Just watch this. You'll most definitely fall in love with this film.

5/5

Oct 9.

11. Rob Zombie's 31

A very hit and miss movie, the highs were high the rest was meh....

Great villain, absolutely fantastic... Interesting premise that never really went anywhere and a plot thread/background information that was introduced towards the end and that should have really factored into the ending never really came to be much. I mean I can put two and two together but what it ended up amounting too was a generic horror movie ending...

The killers were great, arguably I'd have liked to see a larger cast of disposables just so Doomhead himself could have had a bigger body count... The sole female psycho killer was awesome and her scene had some gnarly cinematography but she was wasted otherwise...

Biggest issue I had was that the setting was an utter boring mashup of every industrial park cliche there is give or take a few interesting rooms.

More House of a 1000 Corpses than Devil's Rejects that's for sure, but still a nice return to that style of film from Zombie.

I'm looking forward to seeing the NC-17 cut.

For some reason all of my classes have decided to give out midterm exams like it's the middle of the term or something. Well, maybe it is, but don't they realize that there are horror movies to watch? Instead they have given me another kind of horror to deal with. I'll have to play catch up this weekend when fall break starts.

Aiii

So not worth it
#1 - P.O.V. - A Cursed Film (2012) - 3.5/5
#2 - Satanic (2016) - 0/5
#3 - The Shining (1980) - 5/5
#4 - The Awakening (2011) - 3/5
#5 - Teketeke (2009) - 2.5/5
#6 - Teketeke 2 (2009) - 3.5/5
#7 - The Conjuring 2 (2016) 5*/5
#8 - Southbound (2016) - 2/5
#9 - The Silenced (2015) - 3/5
#10 - Evil Dead (2013) - 3/5

chakushin_0250qbl.jpg

#11 - One Missed Call 2 (Chakushin Ari 2) (2005)
I reviewed the first one last year, and I liked that one a lot. People get mysterious phone calls from themselves, but three days in the future. As they listen to the voice mail left to them, it's off themselves dying. You can guess what's next. This next one picks up one year after that first movie and it attempts to tell a meta-story that takes place partly in Taiwan and involves a mining town and a bunch of nonsense that really wasn't needed. There's less kills in this, less suspense and the acting is a lot worse. It also isn't directed by Takashi Miike, so that probably explains a lot. It just wasn't half as enjoyable as the last one. One creepy ringtone out of five.

Divius

Om82qu4.png

#10 - The Uninvited (1944)
Typical classic ghost story from the 40s that isn't necessarily scary, but more spooky and atmospheric. It has a charm to it, feels quite dreamlike at points and the supernatural element is handled very well. I saw a blurb that describes it as 'elegant' and that word does fit the movie perfectly; from the acting to the overall style. It is all very classic, elegant and proper but never feels too old fashioned. The first act does does a great job setting things up and building the mystery of the mansion and its past, while the final act finishes things up nicely, bringing closure to the plot and characters. Good stuff. 7.5/10

13) What Have You Done to Solange? - (Massimo Dallamano, 1972)

“Those girls know what it's all about, for sure. Only 16, and surrounded by secret boyfriends, petty jealousies, orgies and lesbian games.”

These Italian horror/giallo movies, man...I mean, horror movies in general are pretty easy pickings for gender politics discussions--be they negative or positive readings--but these Italian movies really go all out in combining sex and death in often troubling ways. And What Have You Done to Solange? is a particularly sleazy, and potent, brew of sexed up murder mayhem. Like, they go all out. Lots of naked school girls, voyeurism, genital related death scenes, adultery, and a frigid wife character who becomes a loving one half way through the movie and this change is visually represented by her putting on makeup and wearing her hair less tightly pulled back. No, I'm not joking. But I don't bring these things up to get into a gender or representation discussion (I don't have any interest opening that can of worms here), but because based on my description you'd probably imagine this movie as an uber trashy, brutal, unpolished movie...and yet, it doesn't play that way--or at least as not as much as it could have. Despite all the sleaze and silliness the plot entails, What Have You Done to Solange? feels almost artful and restrained in its delivery--at least compared to some of the movies I've seen. It's beautifully shot, it has a great score from Ennio Morricone(!), the acting and dubbing is better than a lot of the gialli I've seen, and it plays out far more dreamily entertaining and effective than how incomprehensible it would sound on paper. It leans more heavily on the mystery side of things than the killing, and there are a lot of talky scenes, so I wouldn't recommend it if you want something more fast paced and death heavy, but the deaths here are of a particularly disturbing nature, and there are a number of gripping sequences. It also feels like a lot of directors took note of this movie; Brian De Palma I'm sure had the schoolgirl shower scenes in mind for Carrie. All in all it's not particularly remarkable for anything that sets it apart from other gialli, but it's a pretty solidly executed (heh) one.

#12 Nightmares (FTV) (1980) - A decent run of the mill slasher movie. No twists, no surprises, just 80 minutes of glass shard murders. Reminded me a lot of Stage Fright which released 7 years later than this film, and may have been an influence on that one. The acting is a little better than most slashers around this time as well. Recommended if you have 80 minutes to spare. The lead/killer is pretty damn hot as well.

Rating: 7/10
Genre: 80s foreign slasher

Penguin

10. Aftershock - Not sure if I classify this as "horror" I guess it has elements of being chased/stalked, but more of a disaster/survival flick.

(Sticking or trying to stick to streaming/on-demand really has its limitation with quality)

11. Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - This is your basic teen drama with a zombie trapping. It's not awful, but also just kind of there.

12. We're Still Here - Really good movie that kind of took the haunted house/mysterious town trope and combined them into something with survivor's guilt.

13. Sweet Home - I enjoyed this though don't consider it much of a horror film. More like a game of cat and mouse.

14. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Really fun movie. It's a different take on the slasher genre, more of an examination of the "magic" behind these killing sprees. It's different than Scream, but still as good. Though the climax is eh since turns into what you'd expect from an actual slasher.

The Invitation
invitation__2015_5395.jpg

This movie has been discussed multiple times on this forum so I'll keep my review brief.

In many ways both obvious and subtle, The Invitation reminded me of other "dinner party" films like Coherence, The Wife (a wonderfully moody indie film by Tom Noonan), The Perfect Host and even a little of You're Next. A bunch of uppity, "enlightened" 20-30 somethings gather in a beautiful, expensive house and spend time appreciating themselves; and boy are the L.A. urbanites in this film a real group of winners.

The Invitation is a frustrating film in which characters (namely protagonist Will) are presented with obvious, compelling evidence to get the fuck out of there except they stay out of their obligation to be good, polite, house guests and the obligation to one of the most mutated portrayals of 'friendship' I've ever seen in a film. I got the sense that these people were only friends because of how much attention they were willing to lavish upon each other with the expectation of receiving it in kind. Which I suppose is for the best since Will is the emotional center of the film; his struggles with grief, with his ex-wife (co-host of the party), with the other party goers, with his girlfriend, very readily become our struggles as viewers; if only because everyone else in the film are garbage humans.

This attachment to Will works well to keep you guessing at the actual "truth" of what's unfolding right up until "the thing" you've been waiting for happens and it's basically what you suspected all along and sucks the mystery right out of the film. What was a story about the power of social obligation, the fear of standing out/speaking up and the subjective nature of grief rapidly becomes a pointless pseudo prequel to
The Purge

The Good:
+ The film looks great at almost all times, the setting is beautiful and claustrophobic
+ Logan Marshall-Green's (Will) acting
+ The rest of the ensemble cast does a fantastic job at being terrible people
+ The film's first two acts do a great job of keeping the mystery

The Bad:
- Film makes a hard right into standard horror fare in the third act
- Character motivations are unintelligent/unintelligble/not properly reasoned
- The final 30 seconds are pointless and only further undermine the film's initial message

The Ugly:
- Will's friends (except Claire) are insufferable people

--

Score: 3.5 glasses of moderately priced wine out of 5

hampig

The Green Room
I heard a lot of great things about this right when it came out, and have been excited to watch it ever since I watched Blue Ruin and looked up what the director was up to next. Even with my high expectations, it surprised and impressed.

I've seen most of the movies on any given "most shocking movies" list, but there are very few that gave me the feeling I got during the
arm scene
. Like any good horror, the impact doesn't come just from the act of violence itself, but from a combination of it and the situation around it. The lead up to when shit hits the fan was just really excellent, and I didn't expect for them to go as far as they did with it. The
box cutter
and the first
kill by the dog
specifically were pretty great. And the fact that the main characters were
dropping like flies
. It took its time building up but the shocks came fast and hard, I loved it.

tumblr_inline_njzl54CgIF1rajfxk.jpg

Begotten [1990]

I have no idea how to rate this. I've never really seen a film like it. I don't know if I enjoyed it, I don't know if I'd recommend it, I don't know if I'd ever watch it again. I don't know how it made me feel.

I guess what I do know is that I enjoyed the use of music and sound, and the visual effects are certainly striking.

[No Idea/10]

hampig

The Invitation
invitation__2015_5395.jpg

Score: 3.5 glasses of moderately priced wine out of 5

First: if you're interested in this movie at all, probably don't really what John Rabbit has to say, as it will take away the mystery from the movie, which is the only thing it really has going for it.

I was really disappointed by this one, especially by the ending. I'll admit that I wasn't sure what was going to happen for most of the movie, but what they actually went with was
pretty boring

First: if you're interested in this movie at all, probably don't really what John Rabbit has to say, as it will take away the mystery from the movie, which is the only thing it really has going for it.

I was really disappointed by this one, especially by the ending. I'll admit that I wasn't sure what was going to happen for most of the movie, but what they actually went with was
pretty boring

Yeah I kept writing/re-writing my synopsis without trying to get too specific but the problem is that I can't really talk about how I feel about the film without straying too far into the whole reason you'd even watch it.

T.O.P

Banned
The Green Room

I heard a lot of great things about this right when it came out, and have been excited to watch it ever since I watched Blue Ruin and looked up what the director was up to next. Even with my high expectations, it surprised and impressed.

I've seen most of the movies on any given "most shocking movies" list, but there are very few that gave me the feeling I got during the
arm scene
. Like any good horror, the impact doesn't come just from the act of violence itself, but from a combination of it and the situation around it. The lead up to when shit hits the fan was just really excellent, and I didn't expect for them to go as far as they did with it. The
box cutter
and the first
kill by the dog
specifically were pretty great. And the fact that the main characters were
dropping like flies
. It took its time building up but the shocks came fast and hard, I loved it.

Yup, need to rewatch this

One of the best in latest years imo

Blader

Getting off to a late start this year as I was on vacation most of last week, but finally got my first few of the marathon in over the weekend.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Where better to begin than with the arguably first horror movie ever? Most remember this movie for its surreal art style and funky set design, and it's all pretty trippy. And there are some other unique effects here, like the "You must become Caligari!" scene where the words begin appearing everywhere in the shot. This is one of those silent films where I feel more impressed by the technical craft than engaged with the actual story, which always leave me feeling a bit cool overall, but the art direction here is nonetheless impressive and deservedly memorable.
6/10

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Speaking of impressive effects, this movie pulls off some really phenomenal looking shit. From the way the pod people are created to the opening shots in space to the mutating plants, the practical effects in this movie are really incredible. Strong cast, palpable sense of tension that feels like a mash up of paranoia thrillers and Romero zombie flicks, and a great ending. Good stuff all around.
7/10

14) Torso - (Sergio Martino, 1973)

"They were only dolls, stupid dolls."

Where What Have You Done to Solange? masks its sleaziness in an artful presentation, Torso is unabashedly schlocky in every aspect respect, and feels just as lurid as the content within. It's also a hell of a lot of fun. Okay, so outside of some enjoyable camp and a lot of attractive naked women, the stuff in between the suspense and kill scenes can be painfully dull...but the suspense/kill scenes are so good. The last half hour especially becomes amazing, and is one long, sustained sequence of unbelievable tension that had me on the edge of my seat. There's another kill scene before the halfway point that is incredibly atmospheric in a fog shrouded woods. Each of these sequences is really well crafted in terms of the suspense and visuals, and fans of splatter will be thoroughly rewarded by the gore effects here. The movie actually felt like it had more in common with American slasher films than Italian gialli at times. The killer reveal was well executed too, although by this point I can pretty easily guess the killers in all these gialli kind of early on, although I don' think that's the fault of the films. If you can handle some painful dialogue scenes and a hell of a lot of cheese, this one will reward you with a healthy handful of Grade-A suspense and horror.

#12 Nightmares (FTV) (1980) - A decent run of the mill slasher movie. No twists, no surprises, just 80 minutes of glass shard murders. Reminded me a lot of Stage Fright which released 7 years later than this film, and may have been an influence on that one. The acting is a little better than most slashers around this time as well. Recommended if you have 80 minutes to spare. The lead/killer is pretty damn hot as well.

Rating: 7/10
Genre: 80s foreign slasher

Is this the one that also goes by the title Stage Fright? I had a hell of a time finding it on imdb.

I'm looking for more lesser known 80s slashers for next year. If it's anything like the other Stage Fright, I gotta see it.

10/10/16
Film 13
As Above, So Below

Like the huge majority of found footage movies, this would be so much better if it wasn’t a found footage movie. The basic premise is interesting - a team of archeologists and urban explorers go down into the Paris catacombs looking for treasure and the secrets of alchemy - but the nauseating shaky-cam bullshit execution is poor. Having said that, the wonderful Perdita Weeks is reliably great as leader of the group Scarlett Marlowe (a sort of Indiana Jones/Lara Croft mashup) and the film is occasionally a bit creepy. And it gets bonus points for having actually been filmed in the Parisian catacombs, which look horrifically claustrophobic.

Films I've watched so far

10/10/16
Film 13
As Above, So Below

Like the huge majority of found footage movies, this would be so much better if it wasn’t a found footage movie. The basic premise is interesting - a team of archeologists and urban explorers go down into the Paris catacombs looking for treasure and the secrets of alchemy - but the nauseating shaky-cam bullshit execution is poor. Having said that, the wonderful Perdita Weeks is reliably great as leader of the group Scarlett Marlowe (a sort of Indiana Jones/Lara Croft mashup) and the film is occasionally a bit creepy. And it gets bonus points for having actually been filmed in the Parisian catacombs, which look horrifically claustrophobic.

Films I've watched so far

I really liked this film up until the final 10-15 minutes where they kind of flub the landing on the premise/concept they're trying to sell. I don't think they pushed the
layers of Hell/demonic imagery
hard enough. The ending very much has a "that's it?" kind of quality to it. I don't think it would've been any better as a traditionally shot film though.

11. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

This is actually a bit different from the first movie, with fewer kills throughout, and more of a focus on Freddy possessing Jesse. Dream and reality blur together. It's cool to see Freddy in the waking world, having the showdown in the actual place where he killed the children, and the bookends with the school bus. Despite what some people may say about the homoerotic overtones, I did like this movie.

Full list

The Wailing
The Wailing is at its heart a detective story. "What is going on?" asks policeman Jong-goo, attempting to unravel the madness in tandem with the audience. I don't even know where to begin describing said madness, so I won't. It is however a detective story with some exceptional and inventive scenes of horror. It is exquisitely shot and the audio is similarly fantastic, whether it be the sound of an oppressive rainstorm or moments of clamorous tribal drumming. However unclear the movie may be at any given moment, it is consistently weaving a visual and aural feast that will leave you hypnotised.
4.5/5

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
No explicit plot spoilers, but I go into detail about the concept of the movie so maybe avoid if you haven't seen it.
In a world in which iconic slasher villains like Myers, Jason and Freddie actually existed, a camera crew decides to follow an up and coming legend and killer, Leslie Vernon. What results is a mockumentary detailing the behind the scenes preparation of how Vernon is building his myth and executing a series of traditional slasher scenes and tropes. Deconstructing horror tropes isn't exactly new, but it's definitely done from a fresh angle and done well with tongue firmly in cheek.

Where the film falters a little for me is the execution of the slasher scenes themselves, particularly in the third act. It cuts away from the mockumentary angle to a more traditional slasher film approach, but the scenes play out exactly as you'd expect. The twists and turns (meta or otherwise) I saw coming a mile away and the people you'd expect to know better, because it's literally a film about them knowing better, walk into the same dumb traps you'd expect in any other slasher film. They're not particularly great slasher scenes (intentionally; they're playing off generic tropes), but they don't offer additional insight over the earlier, smarter mockumentary footage either. I was hoping the filmmakers would have a few more tricks up their sleeves to exceed my expectations. I also realise this is kind of the point—the movie is telling you what happens in a slasher movie, and then it does what happens in a slasher movie—so I can't hold it against the movie too much. Overall it's a clever premise well executed.
3.5/5.

Zombine

Banned
8. Wes Craven's New Nightmare

134213_story__giphy.gif

Not part of the main Nightmare canon, Wes Craven pays tribute to his franchise by making a movie about making a movie and that movie becomes real. The entire thing is just total wankery of the highest order, but man is it a fun movie. Most of the original cast returns for one last romp, and I think that this movie has Freddy's best design.

This is one of the most vivid horror films in my mind due to seeing it when I was so young, so every time I watch it I get transported back to that sleepover I was at when I was 7, and watching this with my cousin and all his friends.

I don't think it's perfect, but I do think it sets the tone for what will eventually become Scream.

3/5

BioHazard

#15 Microwave Massacre (1986)

mhOeZ8o.png

Wuff, this one doesn't hold up well. The voice of Frosty the Snowman decides he's had enough of his wife's cooking and kills her, microwaves her, and eats her along with many others. Features enough Rodney Dangerfield-esque blue-collar one-liners to last a decade.

2/5

#16 Beware! The Blob (1972)

7WG4uGx.png

The movie that J.R. shot....is ok. For much of the film it's just many vignettes of random people babbling on in a comedic way before the blob gets them. Rinse and repeat until the showdown in a bowling alley. The blob effects are really great in this.

3/5

#17 Estranged (2015)

JXPSof1.png

A woman recovering for an accident with amnesia (lol) has returned to her childhood home. This one has some pretty creepy atmosphere and characters as she tries to piece back her past. Some interesting changes in the plot as it goes on.

3/5

List of films so far

Is this the one that also goes by the title Stage Fright? I had a hell of a time finding it on imdb.

I'm looking for more lesser known 80s slashers for next year. If it's anything like the other Stage Fright, I gotta see it.

Yep. It's listed under "Nightmares" on Shudder. The only real comparison between this one and Soavi's Stage Fright are the majority of the murders taking place within the theater. I'd recommend it. There are far worse slashers out there than this one.

Yep. It's listed under "Nightmares" on Shudder. The only real comparison between this one and Soavi's Stage Fright are the majority of the murders taking place within the theater. I'd recommend it. There are far worse slashers out there than this one.

Great, thanks. Adding it to the list.

Top Bottom