• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

UltimateIke said:
Just a quick question for those who have one - does the system still have the IR receiver on the front? I can't tell from the pictures, and I'll be pissed if my remote doesn't work anymore!

Yes, it's been combined with the controller sync button on the front beside the USB ports.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
surly said:
Yep, old. It's the specs of the $199 box that people are more interested in and nothing's been announced about that yet.

I imagine it'll cut the HDD but keep the wi fi.

WIFI:

Just got my 360 S today.

The wifi sucks. I went from full 4 bars with the Wireless-G adapter, to 1 bar with the Wireless-N adapter.

That is with a wireless N base station (Apple Airport)

This really blows.

OverHeat

« generous god »
CoachKevin said:
WIFI:

Just got my 360 S today.

The wifi sucks. I went from full 4 bars with the Wireless-G adapter, to 1 bar with the Wireless-N adapter.

This really blows.

Just use 802.11 G since its a dual band router....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OldJadedGamer said:
Beaten by like 30 different posts (they actually announced this at E3). A mod really needs to update the OP since the original poster is banned.
Costanza was banned again? Wow.

theultimo

CoachKevin said:
WIFI:

Just got my 360 S today.

This really blows.
Yeah the N quality sucks because of the 2.4GHz. G works great though.

mujun said:
Miss the old search function, had no trouble finding out what people did to get themselves banned with it :lol

It is also much easier to see what posts you made in your last visit and follow that thread.

outsidah

All this talk of the N sucking on the 360S is making me mad. Why didnt they put the 5ghz N on this like they did on the adapter.

OK, I need to take that back. I could still stream in HD on netflix without issue. And I played a game of COD4 with NO lag.

The console is SUPER quiet, even when running a disc! With games installed it is all but silent. Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase (especially since I can not sell my 360 to a friend who has wanted one for a long time).

Edit:

And one more thing. Game installs are noticeably faster as well. Split Second installed in 5 minutes or so.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mine arrived today. Unwrapping it now, and soon to be figuring out how to use my old transfer cable on the new 360. Seems like it's relatively plug 'n play now, no more software disc required?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Vyer said:
I've always been used to powering on my 360 with my controller.

Interestingly, I noticed that the S doesn't fully power on the same way. It will only when I am on the right input on my TV. The lights will spin on the controller but it won't 'catch' until I have switched to the input. Not a big deal, but is this normal? I never noticed it before.
I believe this has to do with HDMI enforcing HDCP. As others mentioned, Elite (when using HDMI) does the same thing.

skyfinch

Mejilan said:
Mine arrived today. Unwrapping it now, and soon to be figuring out how to use my old transfer cable on the new 360. Seems like it's relatively plug 'n play now, no more software disc required?

With your Xbox off, plug one end into the usb, the other end onto the old hd. Turn on Xbox, follow instructions. Easy as that.

CoachKevin said:
WIFI:

Just got my 360 S today.

This really blows.
Might because the standalone wireless adapter supports 5.0ghz and so does your apple airport (on 802.11a on the standard wireless adapter). Just a hunch.

Loiselle

i'm happy with my decision to upgrade. I wasn't having issues or anything with my 60GB pro model (build date of October 2008), I just had to trade up to the newest. I'm a sucker that way.

Loiselle said:
i'm happy with my decision to upgrade. I wasn't having issues or anything with my 60GB pro model (build date of October 2008), I just had to trade up to the newest. I'm a sucker that way.

A lot of us are. Many of my friends asked why I bought one and my only response is "Because it's new?"

Loiselle

OldJadedGamer said:
A lot of us are. Many of my friends asked why I bought one and my only response is "Because it's new?"

Yeah... I was happy to find one when I did... haven't seen one in stores all weekend...

Saerk

CoachKevin said:
WIFI:

Just got my 360 S today.

This really blows.

Indicators aren't a standardized measurement.

unomas

Banned
Does anyone know the current trade in value of a 360 at Gamestop? I thought I read in this thread the value was much higher right now, but I just called and they wanted to give me next to nothing for it. I have a 360 with a 60gig drive and wireless adapter along with 2 wireless controllers to trade in.

unomas said:
Does anyone know the current trade in value of a 360 at Gamestop?
GamerGeorge said:
21eyg77.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just put 50 bucks down, guy at Gamestop said his next shipment's already spoken for but he expects the one after that by Friday or Monday at the latest. Aw yeah!

CougRon

I went to a gamestop today (just outside the microsoft campus) and guy there told me they weren't expecting any until July 8th. WTF

kaskade

CougRon said:
I went to a gamestop today (just outside the microsoft campus) and guy there told me they weren't expecting any until July 8th. WTF
Amazon says July 8th. Try Best Buy though. They seem to get a decent amount in.

Dosia

Yeah I preordered last week and the guy told me he would be getting more slims in today. When I called him today he said it will be 2 more weeks. weak sauce...

SonComet

Amazon finally delivered my new 360 today. I bought the first 360 pro models with 20GB hdd that had hdmi back in 07 (I upgraded to the 120GB hdd to install games more easily later). The thing was so horrifyingly loud that it made me think my dreadfully loud 60GB PS3 was quiet. I actually went through 2 launch PS3s thinking the ones I was getting had to be broken I thought they were so loud. They were the more quiet Japanese ones too with the nicer fan design. I can't imagine what the loud Chinese fan ones were like. Anyways, way off topic. New 360 is slightly slightly more quiet than my PS3 slim that I got last august with games installed. When playing off the drive it is more quiet than my old 60GB PS3. From my seating position both are so quiet that I cannot hear them unless the game sound is off an I concentrate (as long as the games are installed that is).

theultimo

Mejilan said:
Ooh, optical audio port. My Jasper Elite was missing that without some special connector thingie.
Only downside...make sure you set it to only the optical out, unlike the PS3, you cannot run both HDMI and optical out at the same time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
theultimo said:
Only downside...make sure you set it to only the optical out, unlike the PS3, you cannot run both HDMI and optical out at the same time.

Hrm. Can you still do that if you have the MS HDMI/optical adapter they sold?

theultimo

firehawk12 said:
Hrm. Can you still do that if you have the MS HDMI/optical adapter they sold?
I believe its the same across the line. I do not know for sure. However, only one digital output at a time is allowed on the 360 S at least.

OldJadedGamer said:

I bought it because it's quieter, and it delivers. Yes I am a stickler for noise.. my PC is also nearly silent.

And who doesn't like shiny new toys?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
theultimo said:
I believe its the same across the line. I do not know for sure. However, only one digital output at a time is allowed on the 360 S at least.

Well, shit. :lol

I'm the weirdo with stereo speakers and a 5.1 headset, so it's just easier to turn the speakers off on my TV when I don't want sound rather than go into the settings and mess with that stuff.

Still, I guess that's a rather minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

Maximus.

I will wait for the 200 dollar slim, but it better come with at least a 30-60gb harddrive, otherwise that would suck. As for the redesign, I expected it to be much smaller, but if it is reliable then whatever.

mjemirzian said:
I bought it because it's quieter, and it delivers. Yes I am a stickler for noise.. my PC is also nearly silent.

And who doesn't like shiny new toys?

I already ran my system 1080p over VGA so HDMI won't be used. I run all my systems hardwired so the wifi won't be used. And I got a 120gig HDD about a year ago so it's not like I was needing space. There is no feature of the S that really I needed. I do like the little new sound it makes when you open the DVD door though...

PoliceCop

Banned
Nice to see a 200 dollar slim. With the Kinect pricing it was beginning to look like Microsoft was going to have the couch pulled out from under them this holiday season.

theultimo

Top Bottom