• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 Slim and Pro Prediction

PS5 Slim:

Announcement Nov 2, available a week later
Same chip as current models
No Drive
825 GB $399, 1650 GB $449

External Drive $99, not available until January

Existing models do not get a price cut but instead get a bundle until supplies last, perhaps Forbidden West Complete Edition as a Black Friday extra.

PS5 Pro:

Available Nov 2024
TSMC N4P
8 Zen 5 cores, max frequency 4.2 Ghz (could be Zen 4 to save some space. I think compact cores are unlikely but wouldn't rule them out completely)
56 RDNA 3.5 CUs (RDNA3 with RDNA4 RT upgrades), max frequency 2.8 Ghz
24 GB GDDR7, 256-bit 28 Gbps memory
No extra cache
No Drive, but is compatible with the external drive
1650 GB $599

RCU005

I just can’t believe there will be a Pro this gen.
All for 4K/60?
First, they should get rid of cross-gen. This is the longest it has lasted for mainline games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is surviving, is still very powerful, signals for pro or slim versions is too early. I do think we’re ready for a new wave of AAA games.

ManaByte

Gold Member
slim isnt gonna happen, hasn't since PS3

Uh what? There was a PS4 slim. And we've already seen the PS5 revision. It's happening.

71PGvPXpk5L.jpg

Last edited:
PS5 Slim:

No Drive

Existing models do not get a price cut but instead get a bundle until supplies last, perhaps Forbidden West Complete Edition as a Black Friday extra.

PS5 Pro:

Available Nov 2024
TSMC N4P
8 Zen 5 cores, max frequency 4.2 Ghz (could be Zen 4 to save some space. I think compact cores are unlikely but wouldn't rule them out completely)
No extra cache
1650 GB $599

I still don't think they're going to reduce the price of the standard sku. There is a reason why the PS5 Digital has always been low in stock, because they're losing out on the margins significantly on the sale of them.

Sony is desperately trying to increase their margins and operating income.

Even if you look at Microsoft's leaked plans, the digital XSX was going to come out next year and STILL cost 500 dollars only with a larger hard drive.

Given that, I think it's difficult to gauge the price of the PS5 Pro unless the PS5 drops in price by next year to 400, I couldn't see the Pro being only 600.

I just can’t believe there will be a Pro this gen.
All for 4K/60?
First, they should get rid of cross-gen. This is the longest it has lasted for mainline games.

What did a Pro give us in the previous generation? Your basis for disbelief seems unwarranted.

Cross-gen lasted longer this generation because of covid leading to console supply issues and development delays. CrossGen is already dead for 1st party games for both Microsoft and Sony.

My prediction is that the PS5 Pro doesn't exist and that there will only be the PS5 slim before the PS6 (I think this because Microsoft won't be offering an Xbox series X pro and knowing that they talk to each other about this kind of thing, it probably means that the PS5 pro doesn't exist).

Tsaki

PS5 Slim:

No Drive

PS5 Pro:

Available Nov 2024
TSMC N4P
No extra cache
1650 GB $599
I'll go off of your prediction:
For the PS5 "slim":
No 1650 GB model. It will complicate the logistics for no reason. Want more SSD space? Go buy an M.2. It will be cheaper and more versatile.
Agree about the drive, don't have an opinion when it will release.

For the PS5 Pro: 8 Zen4 or Zen4c cores (they have the same ISA and Hyperthreading with the difference of smaller cache and lower clocks. Would save space). Definitely not Zen5. Frequency could be higher. Zen 4 has great frequency/Watt.
Agree more or less about the GPU. Definitely not GDDR7 though. Don't want to calculate the connection between bit interface and the number of GBs. Is 20 GB possible with GDDR6 on PS5?
Agree no fancy extra cache. Agree about it being digital with optional disk add-on. Double SSD space could go back and forth.

Tsaki

My prediction is that the PS5 Pro doesn't exist and that there will only be the PS5 slim before the PS6 (I think this because Microsoft won't be offering an Xbox series X pro and knowing that they talk to each other about this kind of thing, it probably means that the PS5 pro doesn't exist).
Henderson has leaked both the "slim" and the Pro existing. We already have photos and video of the "slim". It is coming "in the near future". The PS5 Pro will come Fall 2024. All of Tom's other Sony hardware leaks came out true (earbuds, elite headset, portal); no reason to believe this one won't.
Why would Sony share info with MS? Xbox not having a mid gen means an opportunity from Sony to pummel them with "The most powerful console" marketing, something Microsoft did frequently with the Series X.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Henderson has leaked both the "slim" and the Pro existing. We already have photos and video of the "slim". It is coming "in the near future". The PS5 Pro will come Fall 2024. All of Tom's other Sony hardware leaks came out true (earbuds, elite headset, portal); no reason to believe this one won't.
Why would Sony share info with MS? Xbox not having a mid gen means an opportunity from Sony to pummel them with "The most powerful console" marketing, something Microsoft did frequently with the Series X.
Henderson has not missed yet.

Yeah, plans can change but still.

As far as the OP predictions, if its $599 and adds a 1650 GB NVMe, they dont need to add it and give me the console at $499.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Henderson has not missed yet.

Yeah, plans can change but still.

As far as the OP predictions, if its $599 and adds a 1650 GB NVMe, they dont need to add it and give me the console at $499.
Chip design takes time and considerable amount of money. The only realistic way for it to be "plans change" is if it was canned at the early parts of the design process. If they made a complete design, sent it to TSMC and got samples back then it would already be a considerable investment to just scrap and move on.
As for the price, it will be interesting. Halving (or doubling) the storage will not cost Sony anywhere near $100. I think it will be $549-$599 with 825GB and no disc drive. With PSVR2 they already dipped their toes in this price bracket.
Let me ask this: if it cost $549 (with no disk drive) which would you prefer:
825GB but with stronger GPU or 1.6TB but with weaker GPU proportional to the price difference the storage would make?
We can't have it both ways. They either cheap out on the hardware to make it $499, they cheap out on the SoC to put more storage, they put everything on it and make it more expensive or they find a middle ground.
Personally I'd take maxing out the GPU since storage is expandable and it getting cheaper by the month, while having a gimped SoC means sticking with it until 2028 and having questions raised of "what's the point".

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Wouldn’t be surprised if we get PS6 faster than we thought.

FingerBang

The girth isn't slim like you would expect, just like ps1-ps4 was.
That's because if you were to shrink everything to make a slim it would cost more than the base PS5. Times have changed, unfortunately.

The new PS5 will likely have some shrunk down components but most of the electronics will be about the same size as the launch one

shamoomoo

PS5 Slim:

No Drive

PS5 Pro:

Available Nov 2024
TSMC N4P
No extra cache
1650 GB $599
If a Pro is going to become a thing Sony is going to do for PlayStation until they stop making them,it should always be a stopgap and not something radically different from the base system.

Perrott

Gold Member
PS5 Pro
  • CPU: Zen 4c, 8c/16t, at 4.2ghz
  • GPU: RDNA 4, 30WGPs across 3SEs (60CUs total, 54CUs active), at 2.5ghz, for ~17.28TFs (or roughly 1.5x to 1.75x more when taking advantage of dual issue computing), with Infinity Cache
  • Memory: 16GB GDDR6X, 256-bit bus, at 576GB/s
  • Storage: Custom 5.5GB/s NVMe SSD (same as the PS5), with a 1.65TB capabity (double NAND density)
  • RT: RDNA 4 RT cores, plus Cerny's method for accelerated raytracing (which would help bridge the gap between AMD and Nvidia regarding RT performance)
  • Node: N4P or N3 from TSMC
  • Disc drive: Sold separately
Available for US$549.99 in November 2024.

Killjoy-NL

Tom Henderson has also mentioned rumors of a canceled PS5 Pro project.

I don't think it's happening, there's no need/logical reason for a Pro release.
A Slim is much more likely.

Edit:

He also mentioned this:

So perhaps a mid-gen 'refresh' like MS is planning.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member

No, that wasn't him but the fraud RedTechGaming in the comments of Henderson's tweets.

The PS5 Pro is real because the chip for it, Viola, exists and is undergoing testing at AMD at the moment.

Tsaki

Edit:

He also mentioned this:

So perhaps a mid-gen 'refresh' like MS is planning.

"according to my own sources, who asked to remain anonymous because they were unauthorized to speak on such details, a PlayStation 5 Pro is in development and it's codenamed 'Trinity'.

If you think the codename has some form of familiarity, you're right. Sony has used The Matrix codenames in the past, with the PlayStation 4 Pro under the codename 'Neo' and PlayStation VR under 'Morpheus'.

It's understood that Trinity has been in development since early 2022, with sources citing that although the rumours of a canceled PlayStation 5 Pro project are always "fun to read", Trinity has been the only project in the works for the Pro model. Despite dates being tentative, it's understood that demo events for the PS5 Pro are already ongoing, with the majority of studios receiving development kits by late November 2023."

This was from end of June.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hey guys here’s my PlayStation 7 prediction:

CPU: Zen 11 (although they might go with Zen 10+ to save die space) 16A process
GPU: RDNA 7, 352 CUs at 5.2 GHz
Memory: 64 GB GDDR8x 256-bit 12.8 Gt/s
Storage: 8TB NVMe 6.0
And it will still be 2K / 30FPS :)

Killjoy-NL

"according to my own sources, who asked to remain anonymous because they were unauthorized to speak on such details, a PlayStation 5 Pro is in development and it's codenamed 'Trinity'.

If you think the codename has some form of familiarity, you're right. Sony has used The Matrix codenames in the past, with the PlayStation 4 Pro under the codename 'Neo' and PlayStation VR under 'Morpheus'.

It's understood that Trinity has been in development since early 2022, with sources citing that although the rumours of a canceled PlayStation 5 Pro project are always "fun to read", Trinity has been the only project in the works for the Pro model. Despite dates being tentative, it's understood that demo events for the PS5 Pro are already ongoing, with the majority of studios receiving development kits by late November 2023."

This was from end of June.
So since there are two different stories coming from him, I'd say it's 50/50.

There are also leaks of a 'Slim' model, yet nothing on a Pro except for what he said in the quote you posted.

I'm just going by the most logical situation, which would be a refresh, possible with the detacheable disc-drive.
And if I'm wrong, there'll be a Pro-version I'll be buying day 1 as I wipe my tears because I undoubtly get quoted on this.

Tsaki

So since there are two different stories coming from him, I'd say it's 50/50.

There are also leaks of a 'Slim' model, yet nothing on a Pro except for what he said in the quote you posted.

I'm just going by the most logical situation, which would be a refresh, possible with the detacheable disc-drive.
And if I'm wrong, there'll be a Pro-version I'll be buying day 1 as I wipe my tears because I undoubtly get quoted on this.
I think because the new base model is coming 1 year earlier, more information are available about it. As for the Pro, it had been 5 months between the tweet and the article; a considerable amount of time where if he digged deeper he would find more information about the existence of this console. It can also go the other way; if he found information about it being scrapped or his original source was fake, then he'd correct himself as soon as possible since you don't want this spreading any further.

Killjoy-NL

I think because the new base model is coming 1 year earlier, more information are available about it. As for the Pro, it had been 5 months between the tweet and the article; a considerable amount of time where if he digged deeper he would find more information about the existence of this console. It can also go the other way; if he found information about it being scrapped or his original source was fake, then he'd correct himself as soon as possible since you don't want this spreading any further.
Maybe, or maybe his sources are wrong.

yamaci17

it wont have 24 gb

you have to unify memory budgets and CPU performance to ensure good optimization on all hardware

that is why ps4 pro had the same 8 gb base budget and same dogcrap jaguar cpu (only a minor %20 30 overclock lol)

imagine if ps4 pro had a 4 ghz blazing fast bulldozer CPU and 12+ GB memory.

that would practically kill any optimization that PS4 would get. it'd render it useless

you have to FORCE devs to optimize for that baseline

Tsaki

it wont have 24 gb

you have to unify memory budgets and CPU performance to ensure good optimization on all hardware

that is why ps4 pro had the same 8 gb base budget and same dogcrap jaguar cpu (only a minor %20 30 overclock lol)

imagine if ps4 pro had a 4 ghz blazing fast bulldozer CPU and 12+ GB memory.

that would practically kill any optimization that PS4 would get. it'd render it useless

you have to FORCE devs to optimize for that baseline
They'll have to put more RAM. Maybe not 24. Having better RT acceleration won't mean much if it can't fit the bigger amount of information needed for it inside the memory.
A good reason why the X1X was better than the Pro was the 4 GB of extra RAM, which meant better textures and shadows not only for that generation but for the Series X as well through BC.

PS5 delgada:

Anuncio el 2 de noviembre, disponible una semana después
Mismo chip que los modelos actuales.
Sin conducir
825GB $399, 1650GB $449

Unidad externa $99, no disponible hasta enero

Los modelos existentes no obtienen un recorte de precio, sino que reciben un paquete hasta agotar existencias, tal vez Forbidden West Complete Edition como extra del Black Friday.

PS5 Pro:

Disponible noviembre de 2024
TSMC N4P
8 núcleos Zen 5, frecuencia máxima 4,2 Ghz (podría ser Zen 4 para ahorrar algo de espacio. Creo que los núcleos compactos son poco probables, pero no los descartaría por completo)
56 CU RDNA 3.5 (RDNA3 con actualizaciones RDNA4 RT), frecuencia máxima 2.8 Ghz
Memoria GDDR7 de 24 GB, 256 bits y 28 Gbps
No extra cache
No Drive, pero es compatible con el disco externo
1650GB $599

Fuente?

shamoomoo

They'll have to put more RAM. Maybe not 24. Having better RT acceleration won't mean much if it can't fit the bigger amount of information needed for it inside the memory.
A good reason why the X1X was better than the Pro was the 4 GB of extra RAM, which meant better textures and shadows not only for that generation but for the Series X as well through BC.
The XboneX also had a wider bus that gave its GPU more memory bandwidth on top of a higher clock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom