• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers More than meets the eye is one of the best comics you haven't read

Status
Not open for further replies.
ComiXology has a 50% off IDW comics sale through 10/17. Use code "IDW" at checkout. Not sure if it's U.S. only. I think most of the books OP linked to are eligible.

Between this Humble Bundle, previous TF comics bundles and the Comixology sale, I'm pretty much going to have every TF comic except for the newest stuff.

I read Last Stand of the Wreckers and absolutely loved it. I've also been itching to read MTMTE since i've heard such great things about it. Unfortunately, I decided to start from the very beginning of the IDW TF continuity and while I've mostly been enjoying them, I've also been losing interest and taking long breaks between books. It will take me forever to get to MTMTE at this rate, so I think I may just abandon the older books and skip ahead for now. I can always go back to them later.

Tizoc

ComiXology has a 50% off IDW comics sale through 10/17. Use code "IDW" at checkout. Not sure if it's U.S. only. I think most of the books OP linked to are eligible.

Between this Humble Bundle, previous TF comics bundles and the Comixology sale, I'm pretty much going to have every TF comic except for the newest stuff.

I read Last Stand of the Wreckers and absolutely loved it. I've also been itching to read MTMTE since i've heard such great things about it. Unfortunately, I decided to start from the very beginning of the IDW TF continuity and while I've mostly been enjoying them, I've also been losing interest and taking long breaks between books. It will take me forever to get to MTMTE at this rate, so I think I may just abandon the older books and skip ahead for now. I can always go back to them later.
Oh thanka for the discount code! Will mention it in the op as well!

Fantastic OP!

Honestly, everyone should give this a go, bloody amazing, and a wonderful use of all the zany bios and weird Sci Fi stories Transformers has had over the years, all reimagined by a mad genius with a wicked sense of humour and all depicted with fucking gorgeous artwork.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Simon Furman got BLEAK.

I read that G1 continuation he did for IDW earlier in the year, wasn't that impressed.

How is MMTE compared to the best of the 80's stuff like Target 2006, All Fall Down, Decepticon Civil War etc?

MTMTE is the best Transformers fiction ever written in any medium, period.

It's also one of the best comics of the last decade or more, although not many people know that. Genius is lurking in what appears by its cover to be a stupid toy comic.

Hey this bundle is $8 for 20+ Digital books!
That is a small price to pay for being able to read them on your prefered laptop or tableg of choice ;)
I myself own series both digital and physical

Bought it! The $8 one at least.

Looks like I've got some new stuff to get through. Thanks

I used to get the UK version of the original Transformers comic book, we used to get the US story and another UK only story written by the likes of Furman.

emag

I bought the $8 Humble Bundle a few days ago (Amazon had the first volume of RID for free reading on Prime), but haven't really read much yet. What's the preferred order with regard to the included titles?

Transformers vol 7-9
Combiner Wars
Devastation 1-6
Distant Stars
Infiltration
MTMTE
RID
Windblade

I get that I should read volume 1 of MTMTE before starting RID per the OP, but what other advice can you offer for reading order of the above?

Amazing OP for an incredible comic. Everyone has to read this comic, no matter if you hate Transformers otherwise.

Let me do my part and post this, a complete reading order for the current, post-war stretch of IDW's comics (including all of MTMTE) that I researched and compiled based on both the comics themselves and the wiki, intending to preserve both relative chronology and arc integrity. Tizoc, feel free to add it to the OP if you want.

Season 1

The Death of Optimus Prime
More than Meets the Eye 1-22 (Vol. 1-5)
Robots in Disguise 1-22 (Vol. 1-5)
Spotlight #26 - Orion Pax
Spotlight #27 - Thundercracker
Spotlight #28 - Megatron
Spotlight #29 - Bumblebee
Spotlight #30 - Trailcutter
Spotlight #31 - Hoist
Dark Cybertron 1
Dark Cybertron 2 (More than Meets the Eye 23)
Dark Cybertron 3 (Robots in Disguise 23)
Dark Cybertron 4 (More than Meets the Eye 24)
Dark Cybertron 5 (Robots in Disguise 24)
Dark Cybertron 6 (More than Meets the Eye 25)
Dark Cybertron 7 (Robots in Disguise 25)
Dark Cybertron 8 (More than Meets the Eye 26)
Dark Cybertron 9 (Robots in Disguise 26)
Dark Cybertron 10 (More than Meets the Eye 27)
Dark Cybertron 11 (Robots in Disguise 27)
Dark Cybertron 12

Season 2

More than Meets the Eye 28-33
Robots in Disguise 28-32
Windblade Vol 1 1-4
Robots in Disguise 33-34
The Transformers (formerly known as Robots in Disguise) 35-39
More than Meets the Eye 34-40
Drift - Empire of Stone 1-4
Combiner Wars 1 (Windblade Vol. 2 #1)
Combiner Wars 2 (The Transformers 40)
Combiner Wars 3 (Windblade Vol. 2 #2)
Combiner Wars 4 (The Transformers 41)
Combiner Wars 5 (Windblade Vol. 2 #3)
Combiner Wars Epilogue (The Transformers 42)
Combiner Hunters
Combiner Wars Epilogue (Windblade Vol. 2 #4)
Windblade Vol 2 #5-#7
More Than Meets the Eye 41-49
The Transformers 43-44
Sins Of The Wreckers 1-5
The Transformers 45-49
Holiday Special 2015
More Than Meets the Eye 50-55
The Transformers 50-55

Season 3

Till All Are One (formerly Windblade) 1-4
Titans Return
Titans Return 2-3 (The Transformers 56-57)
Titans Return 4-5 (More Than Meets the Eye 56-57)
Titans Return 6-7 (Till All Are One 5-6) (not released yet)
Optimus Prime 1-... (formerly The Transformers) (not released yet)
Lost Light 1-... (formerly More Than Meets The Eye) (not released yet)
Till All Are One 7-... (not released yet)

Trying to describe everything that happens in the book reminds me of the grandfather at the beginning of The Princess Bride replying to his grandson when he asks if the book has any sports in it. "Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."

That is the most perfect description of MTMTE (and of describing it) I have ever read, and the funniest thing is how MTMTE indeed has all those things (and true love is not something one expects to find in a Transformers comic!). The Princess Bride rocks so much.

Valtýr

Wish there was a way to tie the Humble Bundle comics into the Comixology app. The app they recommend to read with is pretty garbage.

I bought the $8 Humble Bundle a few days ago (Amazon had the first volume of RID for free reading on Prime), but haven't really read much yet. What's the preferred order with regard to the included titles?

Transformers vol 7-9
Combiner Wars
Devastation 1-6
Distant Stars
Infiltration
MTMTE
RID
Windblade

I get that I should read volume 1 of MTMTE before starting RID per the OP, but what other advice can you offer for reading order of the above?

Heh, how's that for good timing? :D Distant Stars is Windblade Vol 2 issues 4-7 plus the Combiner Hunters oneshot. I haven't read Infiltration or Devastation; those are set before the end of the war (so chronologically earlier than anything above), but I have no clue if they're worth reading.

Do exactly that, it's what I would recommend everyone. Read only Last Stand (which you already have), the two Chaos Theory issues (also from Roberts), then jump straight to MTMTE. Out of the three ongoings, I think Windblade / Till All Are One is also pretty good (love the Camien characters). RiD / Transformers / soon to be Optimus Prime is by far my least favorite of the three (although Windblade splits off from RiD, so one should read at least up to the split).

emag

I think I'll sign up for Comixology unlimited for Last Stand and the Chaos issues -- it's cheaper than buying them, even with the discount code, and I tend not to reread comics. That way I can get some of the other comics mentioned in the OP as well.

Thanks for all the advice!

Drayco21

I think I'm in the minority that genuinely prefers RID/Ex-RID to MTMTE, but I also think Dark Cybertron has been the most exciting non-Last Stand of the Wreckers point of the books so far, so what do I know?

Seriously, these books are amazing, and with that Humble Bundle going, anyone who's evr had an affinity for this franchise should at least check out the $1 tier- you won't regret it.

Edit: some spoilers, but this exchange is probably my single favorite conversation in the history of the entire franchise. So good.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think I'll sign up for Comixology unlimited for Last Stand and the Chaos issues -- it's cheaper than buying them, even with the discount code, and I tend not to reread comics. That way I can get some of the other comics mentioned in the OP as well.

Thanks for all the advice!

The $8 Humble Bundle deal is the way to go for the rest of them. Full runs of MTMTE and RiD plus the Dark Cybertron crossover and some more recent stuff on top of that.

Valtýr;220175202 said:
Wish there was a way to tie the Humble Bundle comics into the Comixology app. The app they recommend to read with is pretty garbage.

Wish I had a tablet to read this on. Would pick up the humble deal but reading comics on my phone, no thanks.

You guys know you can just read them on your PCs, right? Since the digital comics are released at pretty high resolutions, they look spectacular on monitors or TVs. I personally use CDisplayEx to read them, it works flawlessly and it's free.

hupla

MTMTE has been such an incredible ride, I'm stoked for LOST LIGHT. Also wanna chime in and say that TILL ALL ARE ONE has been excellent so far.

emag

The $8 Humble Bundle deal is the way to go for the rest of them. Full runs of MTMTE and RiD plus the Dark Cybertron crossover and some more recent stuff on top of that.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have the $8 Humble Bundle. I'll sign up for Comixology Unlimited to read the earlier material, like Last Stand of the Wreckers.

MrDaravon

Amazing OP for an incredible comic. Everyone has to read this comic, no matter if you hate Transformers otherwise.

Let me do my part and post this, a complete reading order for the current, post-war stretch of IDW's comics (including all of MTMTE) that I researched and compiled based on both the comics themselves and the wiki, intending to preserve both relative chronology and arc integrity. Tizoc, feel free to add it to the OP if you want.

Season 1

The Death of Optimus Prime
More than Meets the Eye 1-22 (Vol. 1-5)
Robots in Disguise 1-22 (Vol. 1-5)
Spotlight #26 - Orion Pax
Spotlight #27 - Thundercracker
Spotlight #28 - Megatron
Spotlight #29 - Bumblebee
Spotlight #30 - Trailcutter
Spotlight #31 - Hoist
Dark Cybertron 1
Dark Cybertron 2 (More than Meets the Eye 23)
Dark Cybertron 3 (Robots in Disguise 23)
Dark Cybertron 4 (More than Meets the Eye 24)
Dark Cybertron 5 (Robots in Disguise 24)
Dark Cybertron 6 (More than Meets the Eye 25)
Dark Cybertron 7 (Robots in Disguise 25)
Dark Cybertron 8 (More than Meets the Eye 26)
Dark Cybertron 9 (Robots in Disguise 26)
Dark Cybertron 10 (More than Meets the Eye 27)
Dark Cybertron 11 (Robots in Disguise 27)
Dark Cybertron 12

Season 2

More than Meets the Eye 28-33
Robots in Disguise 28-32
Windblade Vol 1 1-4
Robots in Disguise 33-34
The Transformers (formerly known as Robots in Disguise) 35-39
More than Meets the Eye 34-40
Drift - Empire of Stone 1-4
Combiner Wars 1 (Windblade Vol. 2 #1)
Combiner Wars 2 (The Transformers 40)
Combiner Wars 3 (Windblade Vol. 2 #2)
Combiner Wars 4 (The Transformers 41)
Combiner Wars 5 (Windblade Vol. 2 #3)
Combiner Wars Epilogue (The Transformers 42)
Combiner Hunters
Combiner Wars Epilogue (Windblade Vol. 2 #4)
Windblade Vol 2 #5-#7
More Than Meets the Eye 41-49
The Transformers 43-44
Sins Of The Wreckers 1-5
The Transformers 45-49
Holiday Special 2015
More Than Meets the Eye 50-55
The Transformers 50-55

Season 3

Till All Are One (formerly Windblade) 1-4
Titans Return
Titans Return 2-3 (The Transformers 56-57)
Titans Return 4-5 (More Than Meets the Eye 56-57)
Titans Return 6-7 (Till All Are One 5-6) (not released yet)
Optimus Prime 1-... (formerly The Transformers) (not released yet)
Lost Light 1-... (formerly More Than Meets The Eye) (not released yet)
Till All Are One 7-... (not released yet)

That is the most perfect description of MTMTE (and of describing it) I have ever read, and the funniest thing is how MTMTE indeed has all those things (and true love is not something one expects to find in a Transformers comic!). The Princess Bride rocks so much.

Thanks for this! Like I mentioned on the first page a long time ago I read the first 5 or so IDW hardcover collections, would all of those fall under the "pre-war" description time-wise given that you mention your list above is post-war? That's where I'm getting a bit confused on trying to figure out what I had read versus what's in the Humble Bundle etc.

Also why is your list broken up into Seasons?

Thanks for this! Like I mentioned on the first page a long time ago I read the first 5 or so IDW hardcover collections, would all of those fall under the "pre-war" description time-wise given that you mention your list above is post-war? That's where I'm getting a bit confused on trying to figure out what I had read versus what's in the Humble Bundle etc.

From what I'm checking that is the very start of the IDW chronology, which indeed sets it before the end of the war (quite far back in fact, that's even before the previous ongoing that ended with the end of the war). The current IDW inner chronology pretty much follows chronological publication and actually synchronizes to it, by which I mean that, usually, issues released in 2016 are actually set in 2016 (with obvious exceptions like pre-war and early-war flashbacks, set millions of years prior). This has the very interesting, seldom observed in comics, side effect that human characters actually age in real time. To be fair, it's one of the few comics where 99% of its main characters live for millions of years, so it's much easier for it than human-centric comics.

Back to your question, the issues collected in those collections were released (and thus, barring flashbacks, set) on 2005-2007. The war ended right at the end of 2011, the first season mentioned above ran from 2012 to 2014, and the second season from 2014 to 2016, with the third season starting about now.

Also why is your list broken up into Seasons?

That's the exact word Roberts himself uses to divide MTMTE, and it's rather obvious as you read it. Dark Cybertron is the end of season crossover event, which unfortunately is among my least favorite arcs (which is why I consider the utterly amazing "Remain in Light" the true MTMTE season 1 finale, with "Little Victories" as an epilogue). However, as a consequence, RiD is also quite different in season 1 than in season 2. And of course, Windblade / Till All Are One splits off from RiD right at the start of season 2, so it didn't exist previously.

As for season 3, both main series got finales of different magnitudes tying up several plot threads, and were retitled and renumbered to 1. The last few issues of the previous ongoings are included in the relatively self-contained Titans Return crossover event, murkying everything since it also contains two issues of Till All Are One, but I decided to move it all to the start of season 3 since, aside from a RiD plot point, none of it is very connected to season 2 (while we don't know how connected is to season 3 yet) and it would also split Till All Are One which is pretty obviously meant to all go in season 3.

That turned out to be a bit long-winded, but if your username is based on who I think it is, you may actually appreciate it. :D

MTMTE has been such an incredible ride, I'm stoked for LOST LIGHT. Also wanna chime in and say that TILL ALL ARE ONE has been excellent so far.

No lies detected.

Also allow me to post one of the many quotes that crack me up.

uAkIgkb.jpg

Just bought the Humble Bundle, really excited to dig into these MTMTE volumes. I read all of the Furman stuff but I found it a bit rushed (probably not his fault) and a little clunky, though fun. Looking forward to getting something meatier out of this series.

I'm through the first two volumes of MTMTE. Really enjoying it. Not sure if I'm gonna read RID or not as people have been saying MTMTE is of much better quality.

DJD are awesome. Nice to know the characters I've been buying third party figures of after all this time.

Reading through I believe #3 of MTMTE, I'm enjoying it so far. The only Transformers I ever really got into was Beast Wars. I've seen episodes of a few different series' made after Beast Wars, but anything from before has completely alluded me. As a result I don't know more than a handful of characters. Trying to recognize them is a struggle so far but it's still fun.

Thanks again OP.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You guys know you can just read them on your PCs, right? Since the digital comics are released at pretty high resolutions, they look spectacular on monitors or TVs. I personally use CDisplayEx to read them, it works flawlessly and it's free.

I use that on occasion, but it's not ideal. Especially if I'm reading a lot of a series. I do it if I'm catching up on a couple back issues.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Reading through I believe #3 of MTMTE, I'm enjoying it so far. The only Transformers I ever really got into was Beast Wars. I've seen episodes of a few different series' made after Beast Wars, but anything from before has completely alluded me. As a result I don't know more than a handful of characters. Trying to recognize them is a struggle so far but it's still fun.

Thanks again OP.

Most of the characters on the Lost Light have never had any prominent roles in any TF fiction ever (Tailgate, Swerve, Pipes, Trailbreaker, Brainstorm, Whirl, Rewind, Rung), so you shouldn't worry about recognizing them. Most of the ones who have had previous roles (Ratchet, Perceptor, Chromedome, Cyclonus) are very different in MTMTE than they were in previous fiction. Really the only characters who bear strong resemblances to their past portrayals are Rodimus (hot-headed brash young wannabe leader) and Ultra Magnus (stoic rule-follower with a stick up his exhaust).

What I'm trying to say is that MTMTE is a brand new start for pretty much the whole cast. With the exception of Drift, Magnus, Ratchet and Rodimus, nobody even has much history in the IDW continuity when MTMTE starts. Don't worry about not knowing who anyone is or what they're like, because the series will slowly show you all that as it goes. One of the great things about Roberts' approach to MTMTE is that he intentionally chose undeveloped or underdeveloped characters to avoid having too much characterization baggage to deal with. It's very much a "clean start" kind of series.

Oh, and if you're a Beast Wars fan...well, just stay tuned.

Cerity

Neat, is there a preferred platform/app for reading comics? Obviously my paperwhite isn't going to cut it. Not really looking to read through the lot on my desktop/laptop either.

e: FWIW I've got an iPad 4, Air 2 and a galaxy tab S2 9.7".

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Neat, is there a preferred platform/app for reading comics? Obviously my paperwhite isn't going to cut it. Not really looking to read through the lot on my desktop/laptop either.

e: FWIW I've got an iPad 4, Air 2 and a galaxy tab S2 9.7".

I use Comic Zeal on my Air 2 and like it a lot. The easiest comic reader app for sorting things in the order you want them in, in my experience.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Great OP - thanks!

I bought the Humble Bundle, will be reading through your reading list, but I had a question

2- Transfomrers: Chaos Theory TPB (You only need to read the 2-parter story in this book as it was written by Roberts and offers more world building. It also gets referenced later in MTMTE)

4- Transformers: Dark Prelude. This is a collection of one shot stories, but some are written by Roberts and features a plot point that becomes important in a later story. Also shows Megatron putting Starscream in his place so that's always fun.

What are the individual issues here? It'll be cheaper for me to pick up the individual issues needed instead of the whole trade - thanks!

Okay finished the first four volumes today. It's gotten progressively better as it's gone on. Definitely a lot of characters to like. Wish we had more 'Cons throughout though.

PaulloDEC

You got me OP, bought the bundle and downloaded the first six issues of MTMTE onto my tablet. I'm about halfway into volume 1, and while it's a bit of an adjustment getting to recognise all of the bots, I'm enjoying the dialogue and art a lot.

MrDaravon

That turned out to be a bit long-winded, but if your username is based on who I think it is, you may actually appreciate it. :D

you had a good feeling!

Edit: I just bought the bundle on humble. I've only ever used humble once before for games, do I have access to these downloads indefinitely if I login to my account? Would prefer to not have to worry about download a shitload of these right now lol.

Also Weltall does the Chronological Comic Order listed on this wiki page seem pretty accurate then? Might go do some hunting on Comixology etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)

MrDaravon

Oh god it gets even more confusing trying to figure things out because all of the one-shots and compilations as well as certain one-shots being including in collections or in the bundle that is not immediately obvious (like the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot is included in MTME Volume 1) etc. ffffffff

Edit: Okay, finally went through everything that's included in the bundle and cross-referenced those TPB's with Comixology to see what exactly what is in all of them. Unless I fucked up somewhere this is everything included in the $8 Humble Bundle right now not including the SF/GI Joe crossover stuff:

Transformers: Devastation Issue 1
Transformers: Devastation Issue 2
Transformers: Devastation Issue 3
Transformers: Devastation Issue 4
Transformers: Devastation Issue 5
Transformers: Devastation Issue 6
Transformers: Infiltration (Issues 1-6)
Transformers: Windblade (Issues 1-4, all of Windblade Volume 1)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 1 (RiD Issues 1-5)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 2 (RiD Issues 6-9)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 3 (RiD Issues 10-11 and 2012 Annual)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 4 (RiD Issues 12-16)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 5 (RiD Issues 17-22)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 6 (RiD Issues 28-32)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 7 (RiD Issues 33-38)
Transformers: Combiner Wars (RiD Issues 39-41 & Windblade Volume 2 Issues 1-3)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 8 (RiD Issues 42-45)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 9 (RiD Issues 46-49)
Transformers: Distant Stars (Windblade Volume 2 Issues 4-7 & Combiner Hunters one-shot)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 1 (MTMtE Issues 1-3 and Death of Optimus Prime one-shot)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 2 (MTMtE Issues 4-8)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 3 (MTMtE Issues 9-11 and 2012 Annual)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 4 (MTMtE Issues 12-16)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 5 (MTMtE Issues 17-22)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 6 (MTMtE Issues 28-33)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 7 (MTMtE Issues 34-38)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 8 (MTMtE Issues 39-44)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 9 (MTMtE Issues 45-49)

Digging into it more it appears that the two small gaps in RiD and MtME are part of Transformers: Dark Cybertron Volumes 1 & 2. Whew! Now I need to do some digging to see what the best way to get everything else is, but that's a goddamn impressive amount of stuff for $8. I'm digging for the older stuff because I'm OCD and also because I really enjoyed what I read of those, but as others have said for someone just looking to hop in right now that's a good amount of content and includes nearly everything of the two currently running series.

NEO0MJ

DJD are awesome. Nice to know the characters I've been buying third party figures of after all this time.

I love the idea behind them. Megatron knew that the Cons were not only an unruly bunch but also had several super warriors and so had to make a division that not only stopped members of his faction from turning but also had the firepower to take down even his strongest soldiers and so the DJD were born. I also like the fact that they don't even participate much in the war. Their focus is mainly just to dish out justice to those who betrayed Megatron's ideals.

MrDaravon

Okay, I just spent waaaay too long doing this not to share this in hopes it helps someone else. I just went through all of the titles on the wiki link I posted above that are in this continuity; so this will not include/disregard alternate universe stuff (like the 1800s comic), crossovers (GI Joe etc even though some of these are debatable I suppose but optional either way), as well as "Continuum" which apparently was a shitshow that isn't even available digitally anyway and "Infestation" which also appears to be an alternate universe thing but I think I may be wrong on that one. Apologies in advance if any of that is wrong or I missed anything, feel free to correct me.

The listing of all of the Transformers comics here under the Chronological Comic Order section is what I based everything off of. Ignoring any sort of chronological or reading order, the entirety of what we get in the $8 Humble Bundle is again as follows:

What's included in the $8 tier of the Humble Bundle said:
Transformers: Devastation Issue 1
Transformers: Devastation Issue 2
Transformers: Devastation Issue 3
Transformers: Devastation Issue 4
Transformers: Devastation Issue 5
Transformers: Devastation Issue 6
Transformers: Infiltration (Issues 1-6)
Transformers: Windblade (Issues 1-4, all of Windblade Volume 1)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 1 (RiD Issues 1-5)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 2 (RiD Issues 6-9)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 3 (RiD Issues 10-11 and 2012 Annual)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 4 (RiD Issues 12-16)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 5 (RiD Issues 17-22)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 6 (RiD Issues 28-32)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 7 (RiD Issues 33-38)
Transformers: Combiner Wars (RiD Issues 39-41 & Windblade Volume 2 Issues 1-3)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 8 (RiD Issues 42-45)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Volume 9 (RiD Issues 46-49)
Transformers: Distant Stars (Windblade Volume 2 Issues 4-7 & Combiner Hunters one-shot)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 1 (MTMtE Issues 1-3 and Death of Optimus Prime one-shot)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 2 (MTMtE Issues 4-8)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 3 (MTMtE Issues 9-11 and 2012 Annual)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 4 (MTMtE Issues 12-16)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 5 (MTMtE Issues 17-22)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 6 (MTMtE Issues 28-33)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 7 (MTMtE Issues 34-38)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 8 (MTMtE Issues 39-44)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 9 (MTMtE Issues 45-49)

So I went digging on Comixology for what is missing from what we get in the bundle. As mentioned earlier it's largely, but not completely, stuff that pre-dates More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. That said, everything is available on Comixology excluding Continuum (which we are disregarding anyway), mostly in Collections but not all. So here is the list I made of what is available as a Collection on Comixology along with the price (which I did mostly for my reference). This is in NO particular order, just put it together in the order it came up on the site via a "Transformers" search:

Collections available on Comixology and prices said:
Sins of the Wreckers (1-5, all issues, $10)
Drift: Empire of Stone (1-4, all issues, $8)
Transformers: Primacy (1-4, all issues, $8)
Transformers: Monstrosity (1-4, all issues, $12)
Transformers: Dark Cybertron (RiD 23-24, MTMtE 23-25, DC1, $10)
Transformers: Dark Cybertron Volume 2 (RiD 25-27, MTMtE 26-27, DC 2, $10)
Transformers: Spotlight Volume 1 (Contains the Spotlight/one-shots of: Hot Rod, Sixshot, Shockwave, Nightbeat and Ultra Magnus, $10)
Transformers: Spotlight Volume 2 (Contains the Spotlight/one-shots of: Kup, Galvatron, Optimus Prime, Soundwave and Ramjet, $10)
Transformers: Spotlight Dark Prelude (Contains the Spotlight/one-shots of: Orion Pax, Thundercracker, Megatron, Bumblebee, Trailcutter and Hoist, $12)
Transformers: All Hail Megatron Volume 1 (Issues 1-6, $12)
Transformers: All Hail Megatron Volume 2 (Issues 7-12, $12)
Transformers: All Hail Megatron Volume 3 (Contains the Spotlight/one-shots of: Blurr, Jazz, Cliffjumper, Drift, Metroplex, $10)
Transformers: All Hail Megatron Volume 4 (Issues 13-16, $8)
Transformers Volume 1: For All Mankind (Transformers Issues 1-6, $12)
Transformers Volume 2: International Incident (Transformers Issues 7-12, $12)
Transformers Volume 3: Revenge of the Decepticons (Transformers Issues 13-18, $12)
Transformers Volume 4: Heart of Darkness (Heart of Darkness Issues 1-4, $8)
Transformers Volume 5: Chaos Theory (Transformers Issues 19-23, $10)
Transformers Volume 6: Chaos Police Action (Transformers Issues 25, 27, 29 and Spotlight/one-shot Prowl, $10)
Transformers Volume 7: Chaos (Transformers Issues 24, 26, 28, 30 & 31, $10)
Transformers: Ironhide Collected Edition (Ironhide Issues 1-4, $6)
Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers Collected Edition (Issues 1-5, $8)
Transformers: Autocracy (Issues 1-12, $12)

That's a good chunk of what was missing but not all, so I went looking for all of the other stuff not listed above and it's all on Comixology as well, but as individual issues. Some of this makes sense since they were never collected into TPB's, but a lot of these were so not sure why they're not up as collections. In either case this is everything else that's available a la single issues:

Remaining single issues available on Comixology]Transformers: Megatron Origins Issues 1-4 ($2 each)
Transformers: Spotlight - Wheelie one-shot ($2)
Transformers: Stormbringer Issues 1-4 ($2 each)
Transformers: Escalation Issues 1-6 ($2 each)
Transformers: Spotlight - Blaster one-shot ($2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Arcee one-shot ($2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Mirage one-shot ($2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Grimlock one-shot ($2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Cyclonus (Revelations Issue 1, $2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Hardhead (Revelations Issue 2, $2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Doubledealer (Revelations Issue 3, $2)
Transformers: Spotlight - Sideswipe (Revelations Issue 4, $2)
Transformers: Maximum Dinobots (Issues 1-5, $2 each)
Transformers: Bumblebee (Issues 1-4, $2 each)
Transformers: Drift (Issues 1-4, $2 each. Drift: Empire of Stone is a different series/sequel)
Transformers: Punishment one-shot ($3)

It's also worth noting that all of these lists "only" cover 1-279 on the comic order listing on the wiki; it currently goes up to 321, but I was primarily only concerned with finding everything up through the end of what is available in the bundle, so there's some more single issues available if you want to catch up even further (volume 10 of MTMtE and RiD aren't up yet as Collections are far as I can tell, so the Bundle is relatively current).

The price for getting absolutely everything on Comixology if you want the 100% collection after getting the $8 bundle and assuming you don't already own anything else is $307 by my quick count. That is before the 50% code running right now, but I'm not positive if that works on everything or not. Assuming it does ~$150 for ALL of that is a pretty good deal though.

I both hate and love Tizoc for this one lol. This is too rich for my blood right now either way, I might grab one or two things if the 50% code works with them but otherwise will just stick with what's in the bundle for now. Looking back at the hardcover collections I read through volume 7 which is about halfway through the 31 issue Transformers series that immediately pre-dates Robots In Disguise/More Than Meets the Eye so I might just pick up the 4 Collections I didn't read there to cap that series out and that will lead me right into the Bundle stuff.

Sweet baby Jesus.

caliph95

I have only read MTME and its consistently one of my favorite comics to read. Is there any other good IDW transformer comics i need to read.

Tizoc

Question guys, if I bought the previous Humble Bundle, will buy this one, whats the best way to put them on my iPad pro?

There is a free comic book reader app called Chunky. It's good but the organizing of files you put in manually to be a bit poor.

Other recommended Comic Zeal, although I think it is a paid app now and not free?

you had a good feeling!

Edit: I just bought the bundle on humble. I've only ever used humble once before for games, do I have access to these downloads indefinitely if I login to my account? Would prefer to not have to worry about download a shitload of these right now lol.

Yep, it's tied to your account forever until the end of time. :)

Also Weltall does the Chronological Comic Order listed on this wiki page seem pretty accurate then? Might go do some hunting on Comixology etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)

I didn't know that existed! Why does Wikipedia of all things have such a chronology and TFWiki doesn't!? This would have saved me so much time!
In any case they seem to have all of the crucial and harder parts exactly right; Windblade 1-4 right after RiD 32, Sins of the Wreckers right after TF44 (that one is a very hard one as it was delayed and published later than it should, and there are only subtle cues as to where it fits); Drift right after MTMTE 40; even less important but very subtle stuff like Combiner Hunters between Windblade 2 #3 and #4. The one thing it does differently is that it puts flashbacks in their chronologically correct place, which may not match the intended read order which is often more similar to the publication order, but it does so only where the entire series (or single issue) is set in the past, so it's mostly fine.

You can go ahead and consider that the bible, and in fact I myself feel proud that I managed to match up virtually exactly to it (the only difference I'm seeing is the place of the holiday special, which by its own whimsical nature can fit in several places).

Oh god it gets even more confusing trying to figure things out because all of the one-shots and compilations as well as certain one-shots being including in collections or in the bundle that is not immediately obvious (like the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot is included in MTME Volume 1) etc. ffffffff

That way lies madness, friend. Most of the other stuff isn't nearly as good as MTMTE, you'll burn out long before reaching MTMTE. The non-Roberts stuff has a much less important continuity and it's the kind of typical comic that gets made up as it goes along, and it doesn't get referenced that much later on. Post war is basically its own stuff, with only references to the previous Roberts stuff (Last Stand of the Wreckers and Chaos Theory). Seriously, there is a reason most if not all of us who've read it will tell you to only get that and start straight with MTMTE. I'm a serious OCD too and understand what's going through your mind, but seriously, let it go. :D

I'm through the first two volumes of MTMTE. Really enjoying it. Not sure if I'm gonna read RID or not as people have been saying MTMTE is of much better quality.

You bought the DJD figures without knowing who they were? I admit that's a possibility that never crossed my mind. :D

I have only read MTME and its consistently one of my favorite comics to read. Is there any other good IDW transformer comics i need to read.

The only thing that comes close in my opinion is Windblade, which is also included in the bundle. If you do that you need to read Robots in Disguise up to issue 32, which is the best part of RiD in any case. Then read Windblade 1-4, then RiD 33-34, then Combiner Wars (which mixes RiD and Windblade vol. 2 1#-3#), then Distant Stars (which is Windblade vol. 2 €4-#7). All of that is included in the bundle; if you like it, there's a new ongoing called Till All Are One which is basically Windblade Vol. 3.

Okay, I just spent waaaay too long doing this not to share this in hopes it helps someone else.
[...]

I both hate and love Tizoc for this one lol. This is too rich for my blood right now either way, I might grab one or two things if the 50% code works with them but otherwise will just stick with what's in the bundle for now.
[...]
Sweet baby Jesus.

As I said, there lies madness. :D I honestly wouldn't read through all of that even for free. MTMTE and Roberts is some next-level shit, you only read what other peasants have written that is strictly needed to enjoy it.

I think I should write a 3-tier detailing of all that's in the bundle, according if you want to read a) Just MTMTE, b) MTMTE + early RiD + Windblade, c) all of it, with my recommendation being either a) or b) based on personal patience and time. Reading non-Roberts pre-war stuff wouldn't even be in my acknowledged set of choices.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
As I said, there lies madness. :D I honestly wouldn't read through all of that even for free. MTMTE and Roberts is some next-level shit, you only read what other peasants have written that is strictly needed to enjoy it.

I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely agree that for someone just getting into it, you definitely want to start with MTMTE and the required setup stories for it, and expand from there if you're interested. I've read through the full IDW canon in chronological order a couple of times, and it's a slog in a number of places, then you hit the Roberts era and it's like suddenly being able to breathe again after being held underwater. Night and day. A lot of the pre-Roberts stuff is decent, but it's A) Not even in the same solar system as Roberts' work in terms of quality and B) Almost never referenced by the modern IDW stuff ever, so why complicate great work with mediocre work?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, though that link I learned of IDWs Revolution crossover, which mixes Transformers, ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe, friggin Action Man and introduces MASK to the IDWverse.

What the fuck. It's actually not bad.

Tizoc

Wow, though that link I learned of IDWs Revolution crossover, which mixes Transformers, ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe, friggin Action Man and introduces MASK to the IDWverse.

What the fuck. It's actually not bad.

More like the Hasbro-verse.
And if you're thinking what you think you're thinking, then yes
it will extended to Cinemas :p

Tizoc

Btw feel free to use this series to wash away the tase of bayformers movied from people's minds by recommending it as such :p

Just wanted to point out you can buy the two Dark Cybertron volumes through Kindle for $11.98 total. I did that to fill out the missing MTMTE issues from the bundle. Also it's way cheaper to buy the single issues of Sins of the Wreckers through Kindle at $1 each than buy the trade for $10. Just a head's up for people going through this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom