• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 PC Performance Thread

Easily.

I run at full ultra 3440x1440 on an i5 4690k (not overclocked), 16 gigs DDR3 ram and a 1070 at stock. Pretty much above 60fps all the time except when a load of crazy stuff happens (only saw this once) and it dropped to 40fps for a couple of seconds. I probably wouldn't have got some drops with a mild overclock of the CPU.

Yeah I'm more in line with you. I reviewed the game on PC using an i5 6600k, 16 GB DDR4 @ 2400 MHz and an MSI Gaming 1070. In the campaign I consistently got 100-140 fps at ultra on 1920x1200. Only dipped below 60 during scene transitions.

Doubtful that it's the same issue though. Do the game not have exclusive fullscreen in DX12?

Recent examples were kinda agaist this, with newer games running better on GCN3/4, not 1.

There's no gain on 480 in 720p either in PCGH results.

im just speculating, no idea whther or not thats the case. i do recall the gcn 1.1 parts(hawaii) typically seeing consistent 10% improvement in various dx12 titles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Doubtful that it's the same issue though. Do the game not have exclusive fullscreen in DX12?

Recent examples were kinda agaist this, with newer games running better on GCN3/4, not 1.

There's no gain on 480 in 720p either in PCGH results.
The AMD 8350 gets a massive boost in 720p though:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battl...-Benchmarks-1206197/galerie/2630425/?fullsize

No one plays in 720p but it's interesting.

Battlefield-1-Open-Beta-DX12-DX11-CPU-Benchmark-Core-Scaling-pcgh.png

can we be real for a second guys? I haven't bought a bf game since 4, but I've played the rest and theyre pretty mediocre. Think BF1 will be another hardline? What makes it fun/good/special

or just anything ot be excited about really. Deciding between this and titanfall 2

can we be real for a second guys? I haven't bought a bf game since 4, but I've played the rest and theyre pretty mediocre. Think BF1 will be another hardline? What makes it fun/good/special

or just anything ot be excited about really. Deciding between this and titanfall 2

If you have an XBOX or PC, you can try the game out for yourself with EA Access :D It's my favorite Battlefield since Bad Company 2!

jorimt

Quick question for those who have played the game early through Origin Access on PC: is the BF1 trial the full retail download, or will I have to download the entire game again after the trial ends and the game releases on the 21st?

EDIT: Found my answer on reddit; apparently you won't have to redownload.

Wondering if my old Phenom X6 1050T is enough to run this game properly. Maybe in DX12 if it helps old processors with more cores? Going to update my rig in late november but would want to play this before it (R9 380 is my graphic cards so it's easily enough).

Locuza

[...]
PCGH mentions a forced frame synchronisation like in Doom.

I'm really confussed by the situation, it seems like Vulkan doesn't have exclusive fullscreen at all and somewhere I read that exclusive fullscreen is practically virtualized under W10, whatever this means.
I don't know where the things are stated in the API, what the OS does and where the driver can do something.

The only things which seem clear are that with DX12, Vulkan and UWP we have all kinds of weird behavior.

I wonder if I could get a bit of advice here. My PC is getting a little long in the tooth:

i5-4670k @ 4 GHz
Gtx 770 2 gb

I tried looking around but find inconsistent info about my expected performance. You guys think I would get decent results at moderate settings, or would I be better off just going ps4?

I wonder if I could get a bit of advice here. My PC is getting a little long in the tooth:

i5-4670k @ 4 GHz
Gtx 770 2 gb

I tried looking around but find inconsistent info about my expected performance. You guys think I would get decent results at moderate settings, or would I be better off just going ps4?

It all depends what you think are decent settings and performance.

I am running it on an i5 6300 and 960M 2GB and it runs at 900p medium settings 60fps or 1080p low settings 60fps.

Don't imagine a 770 would perform any worse than that.

It all depends what you think are decent settings and performance.

I am running it on an i5 6300 and 960M 2GB and it runs at 900p medium settings 60fps or 1080p low settings 60fps.

Don't imagine a 770 would perform any worse than that.

Thanks, I was hoping maybe 1080p60 at medium-ish. I saw some 770 results from the German benchmark earlier in the thread that looked pretty low but I can't tell what settings they were using there as I can't read German.

I have a 970, i7 6700, 8 gb ram. I can run the game at 1080p ultra 60fps on DX11. However, I get tons of stutters and frame drops. I can drop settings to low and it's the same thing. Really annoying. Also I noticed if I'm using borderless windowed and I alt tab sometimes things will be unresponsive, audio will cut out. I suspect the CPU is getting maxed out like other people are saying. Any idea when the game ready drivers are coming? That's the only thing I can see fixing this issue, that or a day 1 patch. I've tried all the google tricks on the first page of results for BF1 stutter and they make no difference. :(

The game is so fun but I don't want to buy it and keep dealing with this unstable performance.

Calmine

I have a similar set up right now, what settings are you running on? And do you still get the orange "fps drop icon"?

I'm all on Ultra and playing at 90% of 3440x1440. I do get that icon. Although I've noticed it's only in conquest I get it, but that would make sense considering everything going on.

Tell me about it! Bought mine for BF3 back in 2011, been running at 4,4Ghz since then.

Same! Bought my PC back in 2011 for Battlefield and Skyrim.

Considered buying a new one this year for Battlefield and Skyrim.

Something is very wrong with this industry... Seems like visuals are more or less tapped out for now, and screen resolution is where all the upcoming advancements will be. I can wait until 4k60fps is achievable with a $300 GPU, and my i7 2600k and GTX 970 will still be maxing out games at 1080p until then.

Nekrono

I have a 970, i7 6700, 8 gb ram. I can run the game at 1080p ultra 60fps on DX11. However, I get tons of stutters and frame drops. I can drop settings to low and it's the same thing. Really annoying. Also I noticed if I'm using borderless windowed and I alt tab sometimes things will be unresponsive, audio will cut out. I suspect the CPU is getting maxed out like other people are saying. Any idea when the game ready drivers are coming? That's the only thing I can see fixing this issue, that or a day 1 patch. I've tried all the google tricks on the first page of results for BF1 stutter and they make no difference. :(

The game is so fun but I don't want to buy it and keep dealing with this unstable performance.

Same here, I have a 2500k at 4.2GHz, 8GM RAM, 970 and it's the same thing, every now and then I get frame drops and stutter, CPU usage is around 90% but it maxes out at 100% more often than not, people are saying more RAM or increasing RAM speed helps but i haven't tested this myself.

I'm really hoping that the nvidia game ready driver or a day 1 patch resolves this problem as the beta ran much better and felt more stable.

Surfinn

It's way different. So worth it. Never touched hardline since the beta.

dr_rus

PCGH mentions a forced frame synchronisation like in Doom.

I'm really confussed by the situation, it seems like Vulkan doesn't have exclusive fullscreen at all and somewhere I read that exclusive fullscreen is practically virtualized under W10, whatever this means.
I don't know where the things are stated in the API, what the OS does and where the driver can do something.

The only things which seem clear are that with DX12, Vulkan and UWP we have all kinds of weird behavior.
That's because they all are work in progress and will be for at least a year from now. There's certainly proper exclusive fullscreen for DX11 in Win10, nothing virtualized about it, but I'm not actually sure about DX12... Hitman doesn't allow it and RotTR seems to actually be running in borderless in DX12 despite the setting. So maybe it's true and the same issue may actually happen here. Makes me wonder if BF1 is using some AGS extensions as well though - no reason why they wouldn't port console intrinsics to PC, eh? Would sort of explain why Radeons are doing better than usual in DX11 here too.

PCGH mentioned both AMD and NV are still working on drivers and there will most likely be a release day patch, which is why they're not exactly doing in-depth testing just yet.

Game isn't officially out yet, after all.

Tovarisc

Same here, I have a 2500k at 4.2GHz, 8GM RAM, 970 and it's the same thing, every now and then I get frame drops and stutter, CPU usage is around 90% but it maxes out at 100% more often than not, people are saying more RAM or increasing RAM speed helps but i haven't tested this myself.

I'm really hoping that the nvidia game ready driver or a day 1 patch resolves this problem as the beta ran much better and felt more stable.

I doubt GPU drivers will solve CPU utilization "issues", even when it's weird how beta used ~70% and now easily 100% of i5's.

jorimt

Nvidia Driver: 373.06
Display: Acer Predator XB271HU
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 5TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM/128MB Cache

I just downloaded the trial and played a couple matches. 1440p, 100% scaling, DX11, max settings, G-Sync...

Eesh, I've never had my CPU pushed this hard before. The game is utilizing it like a GPU; not even in Crysis 3 have I seen such high HT usage. I'm getting higher max temps than I get in Prime95. Even with high usage, my CPU temps usually average in the low 60's, with spikes to 68. This game, well, screenshot below:

One part of me is like, "Great CPU utilization!" The other part of me is like, "Great Scott! Put out the fire!"

Tovarisc

I just downloaded the trial and played a couple matches. 1440p, 100% scaling, DX11, max settings, G-Sync...

Eesh, I've never had my CPU pushed this hard before. The game is utilizing it like a GPU; not even in Crysis 3 have I seen such high HT usage. I'm getting higher max temps than I get in Prime95. Even with high usage, my CPU temps usually average in the low 60's, with spikes to 68. This game, well, screenshot below:

One part of me is like, "Great CPU utilization!" The other part of me is like, "Great Scott! Put out the fire!"

Hyper 212 Evo is decent cooler, but I can see heatsink of that size having issues with heat dissipation when CPU is pushed that hard over extended duration of time. If temps don't go over 80C you should be good.

jorimt

Hyper 212 Evo is decent cooler, but I can see heatsink of that size having issues with heat dissipation when CPU is pushed that hard over extended duration of time. If temps don't go over 80C you should be good.

Let's hope. It doesn't help that I didn't get a great overclocker; I have to have 1.230 voltage to maintain a stable 4.2 Ghz OC on my 4770k :/

I will say that during the beta, my temps were over 10c cooler on average than they are now. Like others have already said, I'm not sure what's change between then and now. Of course, this isn't the final build, so maybe drivers/day 1 patch will change something on the CPU front.

Nekrono

CPU utilization should not be this high, something is off here. Sure the game looks great and I'm sure it takes a lot of processing power to get it to run like this but man most games do not push the CPU this hard, this is almost Prime95 levels of hammering and Prime95 is intended to stress test CPU's.

I hope DICE can do something about this, even high end 8+ threads CPU's are getting maxed out, no other games do this, maybe Cities Skylines or other similar sim games? I've heard those are CPU heavy but BF1 seems to be taking the cake so far and I don't know but it seems more of a "bug" since so many people are reporting this across multiple levels of hardware.

The beta did not push the CPU this bad, I've played on Sinai Desert with the exact same settings I had on the Beta and not only do I get 100% CPU usage but also lower FPS, this was not the case during the beta. Beta ran flawlessly, this "release" version stutters, has major FPS drops, etc. I hope a patch is on the way.

Tovarisc

CPU utilization should not be this high, something is off here. Sure the game looks great and I'm sure it takes a lot of processing power to get it to run like this but man most games do not push the CPU this hard, this is almost Prime95 levels of hammering and Prime95 is intended to stress test CPU's.

I hope DICE can do something about this, even high end 8+ threads CPU's are getting maxed out, no other games do this, maybe Cities Skylines or other similar sim games? I've heard those are CPU heavy but BF1 seems to be taking the cake so far and I don't know but it seems more of a "bug" since so many people are reporting this across multiple levels of hardware.

The beta did not push the CPU this bad, I've played on Sinai Desert with the exact same settings I had on the Beta and not only do I get 100% CPU usage but also lower FPS, this was not the case during the beta. Beta ran flawlessly, this "release" version stutters, has major FPS drops, etc. I hope a patch is on the way.

They had these same issues back when BF4 came out. That version of the Frostbite engine was stressing CPU's unlike any other causing all kinds of issues. They patched it 1-2 weeks post-release if I remember right.

So I have a concern: My friend thinks my drivers might be bugged. My game dips below 60FPS and he thinks it never should. Here are my specs:

3570K @4.2ghz
GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
8GB RAM

1080p - DX12 off - all ultra settings. Sinai seems to stay at 60FPS (is there an FPS lock?), but some of the other crazy maps dip to around 45-60FPS. Even as low as 28FPS. This can't be right with these specs, right? I know my CPU load can be near 100% but still...

Afro

So I have a concern: My friend thinks my drivers might be bugged. My game dips below 60FPS and he thinks it never should. Here are my specs:

3570K @4.2ghz
GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
8GB RAM

1080p - DX12 off - all ultra settings. Sinai seems to stay at 60FPS (is there an FPS lock?), but some of the other crazy maps dip to around 45-60FPS. Even as low as 28FPS. This can't be right with these specs, right? I know my CPU load can be near 100% but still...

Trying doing a complete clean driver install using DDU.

Nekrono

3570K @4.2ghz
GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
8GB RAM

This is what a lot of people is complaining about, FPS drops, stutter, etc, seems to come with the abnormal CPU usage. 8GB RAM only maxes it worse it seems. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

Xyber

3570K @4.2ghz
GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
8GB RAM

8GB RAM can actually be holding you back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es8qmr_o-SY

Beware, loud shitty music in the video.

So my i5-6500 will be fine while playing this? My build is:

i5-6500 3.2GHz
MSI RX480 Gaming X 8GB
8GB of RAM (will be adding another 8GB in less than a month)

Tovarisc

This is what a lot of people is complaining about, FPS drops, stutter, etc, seems to come with the abnormal CPU usage. 8GB RAM only maxes it worse it seems. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

Has DICE even acknowledged these issues with CPU's? Maybe they knew they had stinker version of the engine in their hands hence quite padded minimum CPU requirement.

Nekrono

Has DICE even acknowledged these issues with CPU's? Maybe they knew they had stinker version of the engine in their hands hence quite padded minimum CPU requirement.

They haven't said anything as of yet but given the amount of complaints especially when the game hasn't even come out officially yet I'm hoping they fix it at one point. If lowering the settings would help then sure leave it as is but the problem is the heavy stuttering and FPS drops happen even with low settings and with more than capable hardware.

They have to acknowledge and resolve this or the community could drop the game if it doesn't get fixed. These are the type of issues that completely break gameplay.

Nvidia Driver: 373.06
Display: Acer Predator XB271HU
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 5TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM/128MB Cache

Wow. That utilisation is god damn intense. Especially considering your OC and CPU. I wonder if it is intentional or not. The scaling is "impressive" but at the same time, I have a hard time imagining that CPU being so limited there. It would be interesting to look at thread utilisation @ 720p on something like a 6 core or 8 core i7.
I am not sure I would call it a "stinker" engine atm, that is until post-launch and we ge a better idea of what is going on.

Xyber

My i7 4770K@4.4GHz is being pretty much maxed out and it's holding back my GTX1080 on Ballroom Blitz where my utilization was around 70-80% on it at 1080p. :eek:

a6ub2MP.png

Top Bottom