• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 Minute Super Mario Switch Analysis

RagnarokX

Man, people need to stop acting like it's so crazy to look at the details of things. Nintendo could have released a single screenshot and it could have had enough information in it for a decent analysis. A picture's worth a thousand words, you know. There's plenty of information to glean from this footage.

Like why would the two scenes be seemingly interconnected as well? There's no way this game doesn't exist

I don't think they concluded anything? They just pointed made comparisons to the older 3D games.

If the two areas are connected though, it would make it seem like it's much more 'open' compared to 3D land/world
The areas are definitely connected. I made this analysis last night:

If you look past the town you can see the ruins from the 2nd section behind them. When the clip of the 2nd section begins, Mario is turning right and the camera is turning right with him. The 2nd section is perpendicular to the first section.

ci3EOyBl.jpg

full size

Look past the town in the middle and you can see the ruins. Tall stone wall with fancy carvings and an elevated platform. Also note that you cannot see the sun and it is lighting the town from the right side off-camera. In the distance is the moon and a column of light that likely represents a star or a goal pole.

zLvJlXHl.jpg

Now we get here and Mario is turning right and the camera is following him. We are now at the ruins seen in the distance of the first scene. The sun is directly ahead, meaning we are facing right of the first scene. The goal and the moon we saw would be to the left, which is the direction the level heads in after Mario passes this pit. It dead-ends straight ahead and there is stuff to do on top of the platform to the left, with a line of coins leading up the wall for you to collect as you go up it.

The level so far is laid out like this:
6dmMDvOl.jpg

------------

It's a level layout that's very similar to Galaxy/3DLand/3D World, so I don't see why that would give the impression that this level is more open. Things like the town seem to be set up to be viewed from a certain camera angle. All of the buildings in town face the camera, suggesting it's more like a Galaxy style camera. Like Toad Town in the first level of Galaxy.

l9b6bvhl.jpg

Gamexplain suggest the pillar of light in the distance indicates a more open game, but Super Mario Galaxy had the same concept and its levels were as linear as 3D World and the "guiding light" served no real functional purpose (it looked cool and gave you a sense of scale).

3OPgLU8m.jpg

Go forward. Got it. Thanks Nintendo.

Oh, something new I just noticed. People were assuming it was a Sonic crossover because of those gold rings, even though the coin rings have been in several Mario games before. However, coincidentally, there might actually be something to the Sonic crossover.

qd2T4Q2.jpg

These things painted on the walls of this building look just like chaos emeralds, and the two we can see even match 2 of the 7 colors of the chaos emeralds. Maybe that's why this village looks so much like Samba de Amigo, and why those coin rings look inaccessible to Mario (Sonic air dash), or why there are red spring-looking things in the level.

Fm6wH2X.jpg

Pretty interesting coincidence, at least.

LordKasual

Banned
11 minutes conspiracy theories.

Fire flowers don't melt green pipes.

fixed

Mario isn't even a game that inspires deep thinking about its content. I'm not watching all 11 of those minutes, but what do you guys really expect to get out of 6 seconds of footage of what is most likely an alpha build of a game

Pinky

Banned
Man, people need to stop acting like it's so crazy to look at the details of things. Nintendo could have released a single screenshot and it could have had enough information in it for a decent analysis. A picture's worth a thousand words, you know. There's plenty of information to glean from this footage.

The areas are definitely connected. I made this analysis last night:

If you look past the town you can see the ruins from the 2nd section behind them. When the clip of the 2nd section begins, Mario is turning right and the camera is turning right with him. The 2nd section is perpendicular to the first section.

ci3EOyBl.jpg

full size

Look past the town in the middle and you can see the ruins. Tall stone wall with fancy carvings and an elevated platform. Also note that you cannot see the sun and it is lighting the town from the right side off-camera. In the distance is the moon and a column of light that likely represents a star or a goal pole.

zLvJlXHl.jpg

Now we get here and Mario is turning right and the camera is following him. We are now at the ruins seen in the distance of the first scene. The sun is directly ahead, meaning we are facing right of the first scene. The goal and the moon we saw would be to the left, which is the direction the level heads in after Mario passes this pit. It dead-ends straight ahead and there is stuff to do on top of the platform to the left, with a line of coins leading up the wall for you to collect as you go up it.

The level so far is laid out like this:
6dmMDvOl.jpg

------------

It's a level layout that's very similar to Galaxy/3DLand/3D World, so I don't see why that would give the impression that this level is more open. Things like the town seem to be set up to be viewed from a certain camera angle. All of the buildings in town face the camera, suggesting it's more like a Galaxy style camera. Like Toad Town in the first level of Galaxy.

l9b6bvhl.jpg

Gamexplain suggest the pillar of light in the distance indicates a more open game, but Super Mario Galaxy had the same concept and its levels were as linear as 3D World and the "guiding light" served no real functional purpose (it looked cool and gave you a sense of scale).

3OPgLU8m.jpg

Go forward. Got it. Thanks Nintendo.

Oh, something new I just noticed. People were assuming it was a Sonic crossover because of those gold rings, even though the coin rings have been in several Mario games before. However, coincidentally, there might actually be something to the Sonic crossover.

qd2T4Q2.jpg

These things painted on the walls of this building look just like chaos emeralds, and the two we can see even match 2 of the 7 colors of the chaos emeralds. Maybe that's why this village looks so much like Samba de Amigo, and why those coin rings look inaccessible to Mario (Sonic air dash), or why there are red spring-looking things in the level.

Fm6wH2X.jpg

Pretty interesting coincidence, at least.

Excellent post. I'm really starting to lean towards the idea that this could be a Mario/Sonic crossover. The gold rings, the chaos emeralds, the red spring board with the rings hovering above, etc...

Mario & Sonic's Switch Out! At any time, switch between characters to achieve certain goals that the other cannot do and vice-versa.

skypunch

Banned
I hope it's not a Mario and Sonic crossover. I'd just prefer a pure Mario experience. I hope it's not linear either.

Hype deflating...

RagnarokX

Excellent post. I'm really starting to lean towards the idea that this could be a Mario/Sonic crossover. The gold rings, the chaos emeralds, the red spring board with the rings hovering above, etc...

Mario & Sonic's Switch Out! At any time, switch between characters to achieve certain goals that the other cannot do and vice-versa.

The rings aren't really any indication. They've been in Mario games before, including the last one:
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_0145_C.jpg

It would just explain how you get those rings. What if the game involves switching between Mario and Sonic.

Pinky

Banned
The rings aren't really any indication. They've been in Mario games before, including the last one:
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_0145_C.jpg

It would just explain how you get those rings. What if the game involves switching between Mario and Sonic.

Oh, I know the rings have appeared in Mario games before, but the emeralds and the red spring board is what's really sticking out to me. I also mentioned the switching between Mario and Sonic at the end of my previous post as well. :p

Anything is possible, especially when you consider that Nintendo has been doing collaborations with other studios using their IPs. Could Nintendo and Sega be behind this? (Assuming it is a crossover, of course)

skypunch

Banned
Oh, I know the rings have appeared in Mario games before, but the emeralds and the red spring board is what's really sticking out to me. I also mentioned the switching between Mario and Sonic at the end of my previous post as well. :p

Anything is possible, especially when you consider that Nintendo has been doing collaborations with other studios using their IPs. Could Nintendo and Sega be behind this? (Assuming it is a crossover, of course)

Assuming it a Mario/Sonic crossover: wouldn't the levels have to be designed around both characters who have completely opposite styles of play? That doesn't sound very good to me. Plus Sonic would just look so out of place in the Mario universe. It's fine for spin-offs, but not main games.

this time they better make a REAL mario 3D game, we don't want anymore of that disgrace that they called 3D world

3D World (and Land) are incredible well made, fun games with a lot of content. I dont get why those game receives so much hate, even if they are not Galaxy

Can't get hyped, can't..... Get.... Hyped.

Listonosh

I'm a little surprised by the amount of "I hate Youtube" or "I hate Gamexplain, and they're ridiculous for analyzing 6 seconds."

The fact that they were able to squeeze 11 minutes out of a 6 second tease seems downright impressive to me, especially since a whole slew of things I definitely didn't notice, even after watching it multiple times.

And if for some reason that doesn't end up being what the final Mario game is... who cares? Are people really that butthurt that this channel took the time to analyze a 6 second clip down to the very last detail, because, you know, that might be their job?

RagnarokX

Oh god please no.

The crossover theory could also explain the transparent objects, perhaps activating them when you switch to Sonic?

The transparent objects are just ice. They're giving off steam because they're melting, the air is full of small ice particles, the fountain in the town is frozen, and there are icicles hanging from the power lines in town.

Pinky

Banned
Assuming it a Mario/Sonic crossover: wouldn't the levels have to be designed around both characters who have completely opposite styles of play? That doesn't sound very good to me.

That's where the Switching between characters would come in. One can overcome certain obstacles that the other cannot and vice versa. They would work together to clear different levels/worlds. Of course, this is all nothing but pure speculation, but it's kinda fun theorizing how such a crossover could possibly work.

Bersi

3D World (and Land) are incredible well made, fun games with a lot of content. I dont get why those game receives so much hate, even if they are not Galaxy

For real, the whole "3D world is not a real 3D Mario" thing doesn't make sense, game is a masterpiece and i would gladly take another similar game, with that said, i trust Nintendo to do whatever they wanna do, can't wait to see more footage.

3D World gets crapped on so much just because it's not Galaxy 3. I love 3D World so much and it was amazing from beginning to end.

Idc which style they go with because Nintendo knows what to do with 3D Mario.

RagnarokX

Oh, to add fuel to the Mario/Sonic crossover idea, such a concept would be a good reason for them to return to an HP system for Mario (based on the return of the spinning heart from Mario 64). Sonic has only ever had HP (rings) and old 3D Marios had HP systems like Sonic (collect coins for HP).

God I hate Youtube

Here is my 2 second analysis "looks like Sonic Adventure except with Mario".

That's why you don't have a YouTube channel with 1000s of subscribers and get invited to Nintendo events to play games early.

It's called speculation for a reason, it's so people can have a in-depth discussion and speculate what they've seen.

Hogger

As much as I dislike the speed of these videos and the guy's voice I always end up watching the entire thing. They're so damn informative and point of the tiniest details.

skypunch

Banned
That's where the Switching between characters would come in. One can overcome certain obstacles that the other cannot and vice versa. They would work together to clear different levels/worlds. Of course, this is all nothing but pure speculation, but it's kinda fun theorizing how such a crossover could possibly work.

Yeah that would mean the levels would have to be designed to accommodate the abilities of both characters instead of fully exploiting the abilities of just Mario. It could lead to weaker, less-focused level design.

Designer 1: "How about we put this here that leads to this for Mario to jump across? This level is really starting to take shape!"
Designer 2: "Boss says we've got to make room for that blue cunt."

64 hud was mostly in menu. Health would show when you got damage taken or replenished.

Yeah, I'm just saying we haven't seen one at all yet. I'm sure there will be one.

Oh, to add fuel to the Mario/Sonic crossover idea, such a concept would be a good reason for them to return to an HP system for Mario (based on the return of the spinning heart from Mario 64). Sonic has only ever had HP (rings) and old 3D Marios had HP systems like Sonic (collect coins for HP).

Oh my. They can't do it. It would be too glorious. We aren't ready for Nintendo designed Sonic gameplay.

Yes we are.

Roo

I just wanted to point out that there's a suspiciously bright area behind/right side of the bullet bill blaster that even GX seemed to ignore.

KgysyAV.png

I mean, it could nothing but it sure looks accesible with the right jump or maybe getting around the wall, I don't know.

RagnarokX

Yeah, I'm just saying we haven't seen one at all yet. I'm sure there will be one.

Oh my. They can't do it. It would be too glorious. We aren't ready for Nintendo designed Sonic gameplay.

Yes we are.
Sega has pitched the idea before, but Nintendo shot them down. They offered to put Sonic in Smash, instead. Maybe Nintendo finally relented.

Those gold rings aren't inaccessible to Mario, they're at perfect long jump height and length. This Sonic crossover nonsense is taking it a little too far.

The gemstones as well are hardly a unique piece of iconography to Sonic and it's not like the Mario series is bereft of gemstones of that shape (if they're of any importance at all and aren't just random decorative designs).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Whats up with the hate ? No one is forcing you too watch it...lol.

Pinky

Banned
Yeah that would mean the levels would have to be designed to accommodate the abilities of both characters instead of fully exploiting the abilities of just Mario. It could lead to weaker, less-focused level design.

Designer 1: "How about we put this here that leads to this for Mario to jump across? This level is really starting to take shape!"
Designer 2: "Boss says we've got to make room for that blue cunt."

I see where you're coming from, but if it could be pulled off successfully, I think Nintendo and Sega could come up with some clever concepts and world designs that could work. If we're getting a crossover, I'll leave it to them to figure out the details. The talent is definitely there, especially on Nintendo's side.

jmizzal

There is zero evidence that what that trailer shows has anything to do with a Mario game actually being released on the Switch. Have we already forgotten the Zelda reveal?

A Mario game on the Switch is a given. What that trailer shows and the final product currently have no relation to each other.

What Zelda reveal? Are you talking about the WiiU one?

Nintendo flat out said that Zelda the HD experiance is not necessarily what Zelda WiiU will look like

Nintendo is not the company that shows of CG crap, they like to show off their games running on the hardware, which is why a lot of their reveals of games dont look great

But did you notice there are 10 giant marshmallow dancing shoehorn ice bucket machine cannons in the background?

Also what is this this sort of blue liquid? Could this probably be water? What is up with that? What is up with my voice? Who is still watching?

One of many things I like about SM64 is the extra 'hang time' Mario seems to have in his triple jump. Not sure if I'm interpreting correctly, so I'm linking to anything in the way of 'raw data' that I can find, and perhaps other folks can weigh in and clarify:
SM64 Triple Jump (starting at 7min09sec): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S6myWz3Kzg&t=7m09s

Galaxy Triple Jump (starting at 5min13sec): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hri8f8Pgim8&t=5m13s
Galaxy Triple Jump 2 (starting at 3min29sec): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hri8f8Pgim8&t=3m29s
Yoshifan: "Jump height values for Mario and Luigi. Luigi's jumps are higher because his vertical acceleration is slower (in non-technical terms, he's more floaty)."

The Switch Mario triple jump (starting at 4min09sec): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGAJtnky7A&t=4m09s

What Yoshifan is measuring (in the 2 Galaxy videos) as Mario's 'initial velocity' and 'negative acceleration' seem to me to be higher in Galaxy (and quite a bit higher in Switch Mario) when compared to SM64: Mario jumps higher, but has less hang time and falls to the ground faster. Some other interesting stuff for comparison:
JosiahIsBack measures SM64 jump heights: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198848-super-mario-64/41655904

Yoshifan takes a close look at the Galaxy longjump speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxSMlZHykgk&t=1m14s

Wensih

Why is everyone assuming this is a newly announced mario game and not a proof-of-concept to promote the announcement of the NSwitch?

Why is everyone assuming this is a newly announced mario game and not a proof-of-concept to promote the announcement of the NSwitch?

Eh? It's objectively not an announced game as they haven't announced it. If you are saying this was just dreampt up for an ad and not designed for a real game then I'm not sure how to convince you if this video doesn't already show you how many unexplored details are in there. If the footage was a Mario vs Bowser fight scene I'd understand...

It's plainly real time too as there's some nasty shadowmap jittering cast onto the edge of the nearest building

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I think you're missing a detail here. In the first image, there's a sand dune at the end of the path, in front of the ruins. Those ruins may indeed be part of the Bullet Bill area, but it might not be right around the corner like you've drawn it.

Thud

There's a lot of details hidden in those few seconds. GameXplain are just doing their jobs.

If you watch it in full, the length makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom