• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
fe4afe940b0e707798332e86f0af56cdbde48da59dc37cdfb8d59febb88ac72a

Game Information​

Game Title: Super Mario RPG

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Nov 17, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 100% recommended - 9 reviews

eFazJih.png

MetaCritic - 85/100 - Based on 32 Reviews

sCqZNHr.png

Critic Reviews:​

Cerealkillerz - Julian Bieder - German - 8.7 / 10
Square has conjured up a really detailed role-playing game for the SNES that has been rightly dusted off without changing much of the original: The HD textures and slightly revamped battle system bring Super Mario RPG up to date, and the post-game rematches offer a brand new tough challenge. All summed up, this is a remake of a role-playing game as it should be in the textbook; the only downer is and remains the playing time of the main story, which is too short at roughly 10 hours.
Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 8 / 10
Maintaining what made the original so special, Super Mario RPG provides a glow-up to an absolute classic RPG experience, with smart tweaks to combat bringing it firmly into the modern era. It's an utterly charming experience that sucks you into its gorgeous, colourful world. Still, in sticking firmly to its roots, it just doesn't provide the challenge or open-world gameplay to elevate it to the next level. If you're keen on a breezy nostalgic RPG with simple yet satisfying combat, the iconic Italian in a red hat has you covered.
ComicBook.com - Marc Deschamps - 4 / 5
Super Mario RPG has aged fantastically well, with great gameplay, a terrific story, and some excellent characterization. Developer ArtePiazza has added just enough quality of life improvements to refine the experience, while still maintaining the elements that made it a classic in the first place. For those that have never played it before, Super Mario RPG is a very easy recommendation, but those that have played through it a number of times over the last 27 years might find that there isn't enough new content to rationalize the $60.
Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Super Mario RPG is legitimately one of the best video games ever. The original is timeless, and the Switch remake excels at updating the experience to a definitive sheen while retaining all the personality and memorable moments.
Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 9 / 10
Super Mario RPG is an all-time classic game that both RPG lovers and Mario fans alike owe it to themselves to play. This Switch remake brilliantly preserves the spirit of the original SNES game, with some great quality-of-life enhancements and a phenomenally redone soundtrack. Longtime fans looking for a more transformative remake may feel disappointed, but when the core game itself has aged this well, it doesn’t suffer in the ways a lesser title would. If you’ve never played Super Mario RPG, or if you simply want an excuse to revisit it, this remake is for you.
Dexerto - Olly Smith - 4 / 5
A new lick of paint and some enhanced accessibility improvements bring the Super Mario RPG remake into the 21st century. While the game was already a great outing back in 1996, new players should have no problem jumping into Mario’s first RPG title, hopefully opening the door for next year’s Paper Mario remake and potentially more RPGs later down the line.
Siliconera - Brent Koepp - 9 / 10
In 1996, Square teamed up with Nintendo to make Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Nearly three decades later, the SNES classic is getting a much-deserved second chance with the excellent Super Mario RPG remake on the Nintendo Switch.
Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 9.5 / 10
Super Mario RPG is made in reverence to the original, bringing it to a new audience while also reminding returning players what was so great about it in the first place.
WellPlayed - James Wood - 8 / 10
Super Mario RPG is a gorgeously realised remake that brings the classic turn-based adventure to modern audiences but stops just short of recapturing the magical uniqueness of the original.

Video Reviews

Last edited:

Fake

Looks decent so far.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I never had a SNES. Had NES then N64.

So I've got this preordered and hopefully will complete it 100% like I did Mario wonder.

Really looking forward to it!

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm really not sure about this one, it looks nice, but I dunno. I am looking for something new to play. Maybe when they discount it eventually to 30% off.

Very excited to play it, but I definitely wish they'd added more new stuff to it beyond a handful of post-game boss rematches. 12-15 hours max to do everything is steep for $60. Paper Mario N64 is easily 20 hours even if you know the game like the back of your hand.

Hopefully this game coming back signals they are open to a sequel, or at least designating either Super Mario RPG or the Paper Mario series as the full-on JRPG series again, rather than the stupid bullshit they've been pulling with Paper Mario since Super Paper Mario in 2007.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yea same here, never released in the UK and never had a legit way to play it so never bothered (same with Yoshi's Island actually, though I've got several copies of that) so this will be a treat

How was this not released in the UK? Weaksauce :pie_confused::pie_frowning:

How was this not released in the UK? Weaksauce :pie_confused::pie_frowning:
It came out the same year N64 launched, and JRPGs in Europe were a tough sell back in the mid 1990s. And the carts were very expensive to produce with the extra chip in them to allow the 3D isometric graphics. So like a lot of other games back then, when they considered how many copies they'd sell as the SNES was near-obsolete, they decided it wouldn't be worth it vs the money they'd have to spend releasing it, especially with all the work of releasing N64 the same year.

Last edited:

SCB3

It came out the same year N64 launched, and JRPGs in Europe were a tough sell back in the mid 1990s. And the carts were very expensive to produce with the extra chip in them to allow the 3D isometric graphics. So like a lot of other games back then, when they considered how many copies they'd sell as the SNES was near-obsolete, they decided it wouldn't be worth it vs the money they'd have to spend releasing it, especially with all the work of releasing N64 the same year.
Yep pretty much it, by the time it was due to release in 1996 (it was always a year out from the US releases generally) Mario 64 was out, it just never got a release

Indeed, it's amazing how they absolutely crushed it in a transition year. A complete 180 from last gen.
SMB Wonder, Zelda TotK, Metroid Prime Remastered, XC3 Future Redeemed, Pikmin 4, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, Advance Wars 1+2, Fire Emblem Engage and now Super Mario RPG. All released in the seventh year of the system on the market. Nintendo simply can't be stopped!

Last edited:

Paasei

I never played it on the Snes. Also haven’t tried it on the snes mini. Might actually get this game.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
SMB Wonder, Zelda TotK, Metroid Prime Remastered, XC3 Future Redeemed, Pikmin 4, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, Advance Wars 1+2, Fire Emblem Engage and now Super Mario RPG. All released in the seventh year of the system on the market. Nintendo simply can't be stopped!

I bought more Nintendo games than Sony games, for the first time since SNES was out and done with. It was Sony up until 2022-2023.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What a stellar year for Nintendo. I’m excited to pick this up later on!

Sojiro

Looking solid, although that really doesn't surprise me. I will pick this up but probably not right away, still working through Star Ocean. I hope combat isn't a complete snooze now with the additions they added.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
83 metacritic?! That's the same score as the worst game of all time, Starfield. I can't believe Nintendo bombed like this.

In all seriousness, I will likely pick this up at some point, even though I think I've only ever beaten one of the various Mario RPGs (Superstar Saga) that I've played. Glad to see that it's not a mess.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I absolutely adore the SNES game. It was one of the few cartridges I had, as a massive Square nerd and Mario fan back in the 90s.

The last time I played the original was 18 years ago. I'm really looking forward to this, everything I've seen tells me they didn't fuck this up.

zweifuss

I'm curious to see the Digital Foundry review. Lot of cool tech stuff going on behind the scenes, the transition from pre-rendered cutscenes to in-game engine look seemless.

Dynasty8

they fu%& up the dificulty, the game is waaaaaay more easy now than the original

Yeah, that's really annoying, killed any hype I had for this remake. I don't understand this obsession with classic franchises making their modern games brain dead easy...it seems to be coming a lot from Nintendo and Square Enix lately. FFXVI was one of the easiest and most forgiving games I have ever played. Zelda was very easy too...now Mario RPG Remake....

It's annoying that they won't even bother adding a difficulty option for the people who've been playing their games for years.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, that's really annoying, killed any hype I had for this remake. I don't understand this obsession with classic franchises making their modern games brain dead easy...it seems to be coming a lot from Nintendo and Square Enix lately. FFXVI was one of the easiest and most forgiving games I have ever played. Zelda was very easy too...now Mario RPG Remake....

It's annoying that they won't even bother adding a difficulty option for the people who've been playing their games for years.
The game has a difficulty setting. I think T tatotiburon was talking about the new "Breezy" difficulty setting, which is designed to make the game a lot easier and to eliminate grinding. There is also a "Normal" difficulty that more or less mimics the original game.

On "Normal" difficulty, the only thing that makes the game easier is the inclusion of the timed gauge and triple attacks - the more timed hits you do in a row fills up a charge gauge, and when it's full you can unleash a powerful attack based on the members of your party.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

The game has a difficulty setting. I think T tatotiburon was talking about the new "Breezy" difficulty setting, which is designed to make the game a lot easier and to eliminate grinding. There is also a "Normal" difficulty that more or less mimics the original game.

On "Normal" difficulty, the only thing that makes the game easier is the inclusion of the timed gauge and triple attacks - the more timed hits you do in a row fills up a charge gauge, and when it's full you can unleash a powerful attack based on the members of your party.

Yeah, but the problem is that the 2 options are "very easy" and "easy". For those who have played it, I am hearing that normal is much easier than the original.

Shut0wen

Got it day one, hammered this game when i worked in a office, probably completed it 3 times in a year as it was the only good emulator to run on there shitty pcs

Top Bottom