• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of a group of black people beating a white person for voting Trump is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the way to fight back :-(

Don't tell black people how to fight back. If you're not black, you won't have to deal with the consequences that black people face on the daily.

The reactions to this video in general show why White America deserves Donald Trump. People scream about how Trump is an existential threat and how important it is to vote (the most passive form of political participation) against him. But when people are willing to attack clan rallies, or riot, or beat up a Trump supporter, then things have gone too far.

Y'all need to unpack what you're really saying here. Donald Trump wants to tear people's families apart. He wants refugees to die at sea. Rape survivors have to deal with PTSD every time their own president is on television. Just last night, 8 trans youth committed suicide because they saw what their country thought about people like them.

For marginalized communities, this isn't a game. It's not a sporting event where you root for your team or a reality show where you text your vote to beat the contestant you don't like. Our lives are literally on the line. If you don't think that's worth throwing a few punches over, then don't talk to me. Miss me with that civility shit. Because your decorum is not more important than my life.

"If a white man wants to be your ally, what does he think of John Brown? You know what John Brown did? He went to war. He was a white man who went to war against white people to help free slaves. He wasn’t nonviolent. White people call John Brown a nut. Go read the history, go read what all of them say about John Brown. They’re trying to make it look like he was a nut, a fanatic. They made a movie on it, I saw a movie on the screen one night. Why, I would be afraid to get near John Brown if I go by what other white folks say about him.

But they depict him in this image because he was willing to shed blood to free the slaves. And any white man who is ready and willing to shed blood for your freedom—in the sight of other whites, he’s nuts. As long as he wants to come up with some nonviolent action, they go for that, if he’s liberal, a nonviolent liberal, a love-everybody liberal. But when it comes time for making the same kind of contribution for your and my freedom that was necessary for them to make for their own freedom, they back out of the situation. So, when you want to know good white folks in history where black people are concerned, go read the history of John Brown. That was what I call a white liberal. But those other kind, they are questionable."

- Malcom X​

Y'all are questionable as fuck.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm not riled up, this is fine. I don't want to go beyond the questions asked and make assumptions about what looking for.

No, not ever. Well, probably not ever. Hypothetically I could suppose a situation under very certain circumstances.

But no, I don't support the corporate form know as the state. I am essentially an extreme pacifist. Though I understand others wish for the use of self-defense and try to accommodate it to an extent.

My ideal is voluntary governance. This probably precludes "countries" as we understand them, and something closer to a federated city-state at largest. But I'm not an utopian so I'm open to various ideas. Including the idea that most people do want the nation-state or larger and its related extensive...action.

Did you end up not voting for Gary Johnson?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are they also trying to rob him? Jesus, apparently beating the shit out of him wasn't enough for them. I guess when opportunity knocks....

Don't tell black people how to fight back. If you're not black, you won't have to deal with the consequences that black people face on the daily.

The reactions to this video in general show why White America deserves Donald Trump. People scream about how Trump is an existential threat and how important it is to vote (the most passive form of political participation) against him. But when people are willing to attack clan rallies, or riot, or beat up a Trump supporter, then things have gone too far.

Y'all need to unpack what you're really saying here. Donald Trump wants to tear people's families apart. He wants refugees to die at sea. Rape survivors have to deal with PTSD every time their own president is on television. Just last night, 8 trans youth committed suicide because they saw what their country thought about people like them.

For marginalized communities, this isn't a game. It's not a sporting event where you root for your team or a reality show where you text your vote to beat the contestant you don't like. Our lives are literally on the line. If you don't think that's worth throwing a few punches over, then don't talk to me. Miss me with that civility shit. Because your decorum is not more important than my life.

"If a white man wants to be your ally, what does he think of John Brown? You know what John Brown did? He went to war. He was a white man who went to war against white people to help free slaves. He wasn’t nonviolent. White people call John Brown a nut. Go read the history, go read what all of them say about John Brown. They’re trying to make it look like he was a nut, a fanatic. They made a movie on it, I saw a movie on the screen one night. Why, I would be afraid to get near John Brown if I go by what other white folks say about him.

But they depict him in this image because he was willing to shed blood to free the slaves. And any white man who is ready and willing to shed blood for your freedom—in the sight of other whites, he’s nuts. As long as he wants to come up with some nonviolent action, they go for that, if he’s liberal, a nonviolent liberal, a love-everybody liberal. But when it comes time for making the same kind of contribution for your and my freedom that was necessary for them to make for their own freedom, they back out of the situation. So, when you want to know good white folks in history where black people are concerned, go read the history of John Brown. That was what I call a white liberal. But those other kind, they are questionable."

- Malcom X​

Im sayin

finowns

- Malcom X​

Jesus.

I disagree with Benji on many things, but his posts are reasonable. I'm not seeing the melodrama.

I don't really have much more to say his posts speak for themselves, we can disagree.

Audioboxer

I'm not riled up, this is fine. I don't want to go beyond the questions asked and make assumptions about what looking for.

No, not ever. Well, probably not ever. Hypothetically I could suppose a situation under very certain circumstances.

But no, I don't support the corporate form know as the state. I am essentially an extreme pacifist. Though I understand others wish for the use of self-defense and try to accommodate it to an extent.

My ideal is voluntary governance. This probably precludes "countries" as we understand them, and something closer to a federated city-state at largest. But I'm not an utopian so I'm open to various ideas. Including the idea that most people do want the nation-state or larger and its related extensive...action.

Fair play. It's always a right to have something to stand for/believe in, but you live in a society where what you want isn't reality. I guess this means your response can be I'm not going to vote in a system I don't believe in, but life, laws and regulations carry on whether you approve of the system or not. If you want to live in America, you live in the system. You are still by choice censoring your ability to contribute to how that system may run, but that is a choice you should always have (I will never support forced voting).

JimiNutz

Banned
An old man could have died from head injuries and had his car stolen, yet some people still try to play the "what if" game.

Shit is fucked up, yo.

Honestly, if he pulled up next to the group and shouted out the window "I voted Trump to get you naggers out of the country' it still wouldn't have justified that...

komplanen

- Malcom X​

I'm going to continue and be questionable as fuck then, but I do not support violent attacks against any group of people based on who they voted.

ColdPizza

Banned

- Malcom X​

Yeah, so let's pull some random out of their car and beat the fuck out of them. Real classy.

PopeReal

I have a feeling that the some of this outrage over someone getting beat up seems a little bit.... fake.

I mean, violence is wrong. Good for you for standing up for the obvious.

But.... yeah.

People in here actually justifying this because of a vote??? Where am I?

Yeah a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork. Terrible people on both sides this election. I thought we were better than that here. Waiting to see if any cleanup will be administered.

benjipwns

Banned
You are still by choice censoring your ability to contribute to how that system may run
I disagree. But rather than derail the thread further let me just steal a quote that's unfortunately from David Friedman that might help sum things up:
David Friedman said:
When a consumer buys a product on the market, he can compare alternative brands. … When you elect a politician, you buy nothing but promises. … You can compare 1968 Fords, Chryslers, and Volkswagens, but nobody will ever be able to compare the Nixon administration of 1969 with the Humphrey and Wallace administrations of the same year. It is as if we had only Fords from 1920 to 1928, Chryslers from 1928 to 1936, and then had to decide what firm would make a better car for the next four years….

Not only does a consumer have better information than a voter, it is of more use to him. If I investigate alternative brands of cars …. decide which is best for me, and buy it, I get it. If I investigate alternative politicians and vote accordingly, I get what the majority votes for. …

Imagine buying cars the way we buy governments. Ten thousand people would get together and agree to vote, each for the car he preferred. Whichever car won, each of the ten thousand would have to buy it. It would not pay any of us to make any serious effort to find out which car was best; whatever I decide, my car is being picked for me by the other members of the group. … This is how I must buy products on the political marketplace. I not only cannot compare the alternative products, it would not be worth my while to do so even if I could.

Boss Mog

Waiting for context of this video - who's to say he didn't provoke them?

Reminds me of this gem. It's funny seeing people say stuff like "wait for context" and "there was probably provocation" when the perps are black and the victim is white because the exact same people would say "fuck these racist pieces of shit" if the situation was reversed and anybody who tried to play devil's advocate then would also be labeled a racist.

Guevara

Nice: now we got the "both sides" rioted after election narrative.

Oh but these guys took the opportunity to rob and steal his car, too.

komplanen

Yeah a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork. Terrible people on both sides this election. I thought we were better than that here. Waiting to see if any cleanup will be administered.

This is one of the oddest things. I mean there were some real peer pressure witch hunt people out there before but after the election some people have really gone off the deep end.

Dalibor68

Banned

- Malcom X​

You have constructed an alternate reality for yourself where its okay to justify an old man getting beat up by a group and having his car stolen. I don't really know what to tell you because frankly you just seem like a lost cause. But again it is revelatory because it shows your true face - democratic values only when it serves you, otherwise / against everyone who does not think like you, all bets are off. You are literally (at least indirectly, by implying these actions are okay and nobody has the right to tell them otherwise) advocating for people getting beat up for using their right to vote. It doesn't get much more antidemocratic than that.

Audioboxer

I disagree. But rather than derail the thread further let me just steal a quote that's unfortunately from David Friedman:

I agree your choice not to vote is a valid one, I just don't think it helps in a meaningful way given you live in America and abide by the systems America has in place.

We'll just have to leave it there, but it's been interesting nonetheless debating with you.

Black people will tell you the same. You live in America so if you do what is seen in the OP you're going to (or at least very likely will) legitimately have your rights taken away.

andycapps

- Malcom X​

Ugh. This is not right. Not a Trump supporter in the least but dragging a citizen from their car and multiple people assaulting them is not the way forward.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

- Malcom X​

Excuse me? I'll tell black people not to fight back with violence all fucking day long, and most black people will agree with me! They jumped one helpless trump supporter. It's his American right to do that! Get the fuck out of here with that shit. This is absolutely not the right way to fight back.

M52B28

Banned

- Malcom X​

Let me quote it again.

- Malcom X​

PopeReal

No one is saying it is ok to assault someone.

But I hope all of you that are so offended by violence and hate also stand up for all Americans. Don't pick and choose.

- Malcom X​

This speech and attitude applied to a much different time when speaking of civil rights for african-americans. And John Brown's objective and drive was to end slavery, believing that violence was the only way to achieve this. Again, a different time.

Random civilians beating a man senseless and robbing him of his belongings, just for voting for someone who doesn't support minorities, is in no way something that could or should be defended, and much less attributed to Malcolm X's speech.

electrotonus

Neo Member
That's how you educate somebody, by kicking them in the face. I'm sure it won't have the opposite effect and reinforce the man's dodgy views even more so.

There is a group of despicable thugs beating up a man for political beliefs and you think he, not them has dodgy views?

Audioboxer

Tired of hearing this is not the way.

The way got us a white supremacist president of the United States

And what is probably the best way to try and sort that out is getting people out and voting, and get the democrats back into power. Not beating the shit out of people. Please tell me how violence will get the democrats elected in 2020?

Violence gets your rights taken away and then you CAN'T vote.

Dsyndrome

- Malcom X​

I honestly don't know how you're not banned for this shit. It's not the first time you'v advocated for it either.

Violence is not the fucking answer.

Lolo11225

Neo Member

- Malcom X​

You don't speak for all black people. You speak for yourself (as do i). Also, your reasoning doesn't justify what happened to this person. No one deserves that to happen to them because of a political belief. This doesn't help us at all, it only divides us as human beings. keep telling yourself that this was a justifiable thing to do. Your comments makes you look as messed up and confused as the extreme trump voters appear to be.

No one is saying it is ok to assault someone.

But I hope all of you that are so offended by violence and hate also stand up for all Americans. Don't pick and choose.
It's telling to me that all the responses to kame's post are going back to the one example of violence in the OP rather than the thousands of examples daily against minorities. It will always be about finger pointing but never doing work ourselves and handling the responsibilities.

What happened in the OP is shitty, but I think a lot of you are still in the bubble you said you would leave after Tuesday shocked you.

- Malcom X​

Totally agree.100 fucking %. The fucking double standard on display, the obvious bias, the moderate attitude on display in this thread is fucked. We have a thread with a growing number of violent hate crimes against POC while this incident stays at the top?

I agree. Protect yourself. I'm standing with you, fighting with you for your equal rights. Not words but my body. Nobody deserves to take this kind of treatment sitting down. White Americans doesn't want to be inconvenienced. Well, too bad.

PopeReal

I honestly don't know how you're not banned for this shit. It's not the first time you'v advocated for it either.

Violence is not the fucking answer.

You guys are missing the point.

There is someone who is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES who is telling black people and others that their lives are not as important as white people. Their neighbors and coworkers are telling them the same thing.

All you are saying is that violence is wrong. Guess what? It is. So now what?

Violence is not the answer.

At the same time, Trump voters would not have hesitated to use violence, even before they won.

So no, violence is not the answer, but let's not pretend Trump voters should be immune from the consequences of their decisions.

Honestly, white Trump supporters made a gesture that says "Fuck everyone who isn't me". These are the people who tell minorities to "deal with it."

As a white person, I say: Deal with it, white people. You opened this can of shit, now eat it.

Still, for everyone else who didn't choose to elect a white supremacist: Get out there in 2018. Point the middle finger at this terrible decision with your vote.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
People love telling minorities how to respond to racism in this country.

You can do it, but you must do it in a way that doesn't inconvenience me or effect others like me.

If you really cared, you would know that this is a direct result of the evil Trump allowed to flourish under his campaign. The ones who will suffer from his presidency are lashing out. If you didn't want this, you shouldn't have voted for Trump or third party or Harambe.

Lolo11225

Neo Member
Totally agree.100 fucking %. The fucking double standard on display, the obvious bias, the moderate attitude on display in this thread is fucked. We have a thread with a growing number of violent hate crimes against POC while this incident stays at the top?

I agree. Protect yourself. I'm standing with you, fighting with you for your equal rights. Not words but my body. Nobody deserves to take this kind of treatment sitting down. White Americans doesn't want to be inconvenienced. Well, too bad.

Are you serious? I hope this is sarcasm.

- Malcom X​

I'm not going to tell you that feeling like you need to resort to violence in this situation is wrong. But I will tell you that white people have a much greater monopoly on violence in this country and if you go down this path you're gonna get killed. Don't do this.

I love how this thread stays on the first page but the thread about the MULTIPLE attacks and intimidation on minorities is buried.

By advocate for random assaults on anyone who voted for trump, you're just as disgusting as the people you hate.
Who is advocating for random assaults?

Can you guys respond to posts as they are instead of getting scared of hypothetical retaliation every fucking time a black person tells us the world is violent to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom