• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Girlish Number 6
nHryXwB.png

gKm8ZRA.png

EwpWRjz.png

GZ5EIjt.png

GN just solidified its superiority over Shirobako for me. Shirobako was always missing that human element that would've pushed its characters past their job descriptions and into the realm of real people. I can't remember the last time I was so impressed by characterization in an anime.

Haly

I have no idea why i didn't think of that.

Qurupeke

Girlish Number 6
GN just solidified its superiority over Shirobako for me. Shirobako was always missing that human element that would've pushed its characters past their job descriptions and into the realm of real people. I can't remember the last time I was so impressed by characterization in an anime.

Woah, that's high praise.

jman2050

Girlish Number 6

It's amazing what a little context can do, when a bog standard beach montage complete with gratuitous insert song can be just dripping with sarcasm.

Episode overall was great, Chitose manages to be a compelling character as always but they're doing a good job pacing the development of everyone else.

Poor Towada though, he's just been put through the ringer and now this crap comes up lol.

Haly

This might be the birth of a new subgenre of cute girls doing cute things: Cute girls doing real things

Haly

or a webm!

Webm is the wrong choice here Not everyone has a webm extension and they're even harder and more demanding to view on mobile. A series of screenshots is more attention grabbing. and the barrier of entry is lower.

If your intent is preservation and distribution, webm is great. But if you're looking to publicize, screenshots and gifs are superior.

Haly

I read my post again just now to see if there was anyway I could improve it.

I also ignored every other post that's not mine and jgminto's.

Qurupeke

Occultic;Nine 6

Haha, holy shit, that's a twist, alright.

Everyone's dead. I think I've read speculation on this before, but I thought it was far fetched.
I actually really liked how dark this particular episode was.

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 32
Takaki, you dumbass. You don't deserve any sort of leadership or authority with the Earth branch after all this bullshit. At least we got some decent fight scenes once the Mars team arrived and Akihiro actually got a chance to act badass.
Hopefully with those two vermin dead the season will be set back on track but my expectations have been set low after that mess.

duckroll

Gundam was fucking good this week. Somehow they found a way to end a fucking terrible arc with a pretty satisfying as fuck episode.

Just till the Japanese DVD hit. But yeah, I wish Crunchyroll was picking up these things.

Crunchyroll is picking up some of these things. In addition to Digimon Tri, as was pointed out, they've gotten the Garakowa movie, the Honeyworks movie series, and the Ancient Magus Bride OADs. If this is the direction the industry is moving in, I would expect Crunchyroll to negotiate more of these non-TV pickups as they are able.

Girlish Number 6

I can't say I ever felt that. I don't want to make a complete judgment without having seen Girlish Number myself, but the sense that I get from reading other people's impressions is that people like it because everyone in it is incompetent, untalented, and/or downright evil, and everyone hates their job and their life. Is that really what it takes for people to think something is realistic? It makes me kind of sad. Correct me if I'm off-base here.

blurr

Shirobako was pretty optimistic, that's a quality I like about it and it's not that they ignored the issues/problems they've had to face or the industry offers.

Girlish Number eliminates the optimism and replaces it with conceit/incompetence/naivety which I think is fine in its own way.

I caught up with a friend of mine who got me my copy of Trails of Cold Steel along with some 3DS games, pretty excited to start but I guess I'll focus on it after I finish Sky.

Oh and I do need to catch up on a lot of anime.

Pooya

o;9 5-6

Even watching episodes back to back it still feels jumpy ass random. I feel if they had a director, the show could have been fun to watch, unfortunately they forgot to hire for that somewhat crucial role. It feels they want to ape monogatari style too and it's failing miserably at that.

Ep6 has one awful scene that literally makes your head spin, they want you to look away from screen I guess, like why are you even watching this? seizure alert.

o;9 5-6

Even watching episodes back to back it still feels jumpy ass random. I feel if they had a director, the show could have been fun to watch, unfortunately they forgot to hire for that somewhat crucial role. It feels they want to ape monogatari style too and it's failing miserably at that.

Ep6 has one awful scene that literally makes your head spin, they want you to look away from screen I guess, like why are you even watching this? seizure alert.

The direction/animation talent is probably the best thing Occultic;Nine has going for it though. Episode 6 was directed by Masashi Ishihama, most well known for From the New World.

Pooya

well, it's less about episode director and more about series director I guess. It is an incoherent mess.

The only reason I watch it is because I like the colors in the show pretty much. If there is any talent working on this, they're not concerned about whether it's watchable or not. It sure looks nice enough for the most part but this is not anime mirai and such, this is a TV show!

and let's not pretend FotW was well directed, it was pretty bad actually...

Qurupeke

o;9 5-6

That was certainly a very unique scene... It made me a bit nauseous. Generally, I enjoy Occultic; Nine's direction and all those strange angles, but they went overboard with the spinning camera.

GUNDAM IBO 32

NO ASTOOOONN! :(

While this episode started and finished super depressing, the battles were hot, very hot. I mean damn, this is so dirty and perfect. The Gusion really had its moment here.

Girlish Number 6

The ongoing The Great Passage has already better characterization.

Interludes? I'm not even sure I know what you mean.

The short segment with the cutesy personified dictionaries that plays after the commercial break.

Eumi

I can't say I ever felt that. I don't want to make a complete judgment without having seen Girlish Number myself, but the sense that I get from reading other people's impressions is that people like it because everyone in it is incompetent, untalented, and/or downright evil, and everyone hates their job and their life. Is that really what it takes for people to think something is realistic? It makes me kind of sad. Correct me if I'm off-base here.
Cant talk on the comparison since I haven't seen Shirobako, but its really just the MC who's an untalented insufferable smug ass, and the show's already smacked her down for it and she's responded by doing some actual growth. I personally wouldn't hold the show to a gold standard of characterisation, but it is the focus of the show and is a step above your typical 'cute girls doing cute things' deal. It is very cynical but I think people oversell that aspect of it since the art style is so cutesy it almost feels like a subversive parody, when it's actually very straight.

pbayne

The Great Passage Episodes 4-5

Episodes 3-4 made me think that while I appreciate having a more seinen anime this season, it was being actually pretty pedestrian. The shy, awkward lead whose *special talent* somehow makes hid admirable for others (uh?), the social new friend that will help him in his conquest of love, the office politics that feel put there not because they are important for the story but because well, the story occurs in an office so they feel like unavoidable trappings, in a way it's all very standard, maybe not standard in the world of anime, but in the world of fiction at large.
But episode 5 felt solid enough in direction, characterization and little details to subtly elevate this work as something a bit more notable. Focusing more on the secondary character and the small ups and downs of his professional and personal life in a very natural way was a good choice.

Lol that phrasing puts a very sinister slant towards the show in my mind.
I dunno how to feel about Majime's character at all but i do think he's the shows weakest aspect. I get the show wants to make him out as cute shy, awkward but things like writing a 15 page confession and waiting for someone to come home comes across a bit stalkerish and just plain weird. His character really asks you to suspend your disbelief at times as it is excessively twee sometimes. At least compared to the other lead, Nishioka, which as you say feels far more grounded and natural.

Szadek

Mai-HiME - Ep. 6
Looks like we got another HiME, but now she is also thier teacher?
Ok I guess.
The action was once again great this episode.

Izetta - Ep. 7
Izetta and Fredericka should just marry already.
The action was pretty good, but the pilot ace guy was abit underwhelming. I guess he will get more action in the near future.
I guess the witch on witch might is just a matter of time now. That should make for some really good action scenes.

I dunno how to feel about Majime's character at all but i do think he's the shows weakest aspect. I get the show wants to make him out as cute shy, awkward but things like writing a 15 page confession and waiting for someone to come home comes across a bit stalkerish and just plain weird. His character really asks you to suspend your disbelief at times as it is excessively twee sometimes. At least compared to the other lead, Nishioka, which as you say feels far more grounded and natural.

Specifically I was thinking in the Nishioka's scene where he internally praises Majime's passion and capacity of focus in the work. It felt as if the writers put it there because, basically, that's the only positive noteworthy thing someone could say of Majime, and even then it's was a reach: it was like saying 'I wish to be an autism-like person like Majime, that way I could get into the work like him!'. Not very realistic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Girlish Number 6
This is basically my problem with Shirobako, so I'm glad Girlish Number tries.
Does Serious Actor girl pull a Birdman and go crazy like Michael Keaton?

I think Shirobako was closer to The Newsroom, or if I want to be more generous, The West Wing in terms of showing people in a work place who care about their jobs. I think that's fine, but speaking for me personally, anime seems like such a dark and depressing industry that I find it a bit too convenient that it just ignored any of these aspects.

Then again, you have something like Spotlight, which can both show competent, optimistic people working while also dealing something tragic like child abuse, so I assume it'd be possible to make an anime about making anime that can both have depth in terms of realism but also have a more positive outlook.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 07

This kind of went how I expected it to go but nonetheless, the resultant catharsis through mecha fights was gratifying to see. At the end of the day, this guy Galan still feels like another bump in the road to McGillis vs Tekkadan vs GodKnowsWhoinMask showdown. Keep throwing bad guys at us. I guess Takaki somehow found it in himself to kill a guy as a result of it, will it have some long term relevance though.

well, it's less about episode director and more about series director I guess. It is an incoherent mess.

The only reason I watch it is because I like the colors in the show pretty much. If there is any talent working on this, they're not concerned about whether it's watchable or not. It sure looks nice enough for the most part but this is not anime mirai and such, this is a TV show!

Kyouhei Ishiguro, the overall director, is talented as well, and he has connections with a lot of talent that he's bringing into Occultic;Nine. I think the big problem with the show is the 2chan-esque conspiracy source material more than anything else.

and let's not pretend FotW was well directed, it was pretty bad actually...

From the New World was inconsistent in execution, but it had quite a few very well directed episodes. I'm not a huge fan of several of the directorial quirks of Ishihama but I can't deny the man has plenty of talent.

The short segment with the cutesy personified dictionaries that plays after the commercial break.

I think the Jisho-tan segments are basically one way that allowed the anime to get funded. The dictionary mascots are designed by Sanrio (Hello Kitty, Jewelpet, etc.), and promoting them in the commercial breaks of Great Passage builds awareness that lets Sanrio sell merchandise of them like Sanrio's other mascots. So it's another way of spreading the financial risk of anime like this around multiple companies.

Majime is awkward, but to call him a stalker requires a rather liberal definition of the word.

Specifically I was thinking in the Nishioka's scene where he internally praises Majime's passion and capacity of focus in the work. It felt as if the writers put it there because, basically, that's the only positive noteworthy thing someone could say of Majime, and even then it's was a reach: it was like saying 'I wish to be an autism-like person like Majime, that way I could get into the work like him!'. Not very realistic.

I don't think it's unbelievable that a guy feeling bored of his job would envy the enthusiasm with which someone else pours himself into his activities.

I think Shirobako was closer to The Newsroom, or if I want to be more generous, The West Wing in terms of showing people in a work place who care about their jobs. I think that's fine, but speaking for me personally, anime seems like such a dark and depressing industry that I find it a bit too convenient that it just ignored any of these aspects.

Then again, you have something like Spotlight, which can both show competent, optimistic people working while also dealing something tragic like child abuse, so I assume it'd be possible to make an anime about making anime that can both have depth in terms of realism but also have a more positive outlook.

It didn't ignore any of those aspects. It was constantly dealing with the challenges anime creators face: animator overwork, tight schedules, production collapses, lack of outsourcing oversight, anime adaptations treating the source material with a lack of respect and ticking off the original author, personal conflicts derailing a production, etc., etc. It just didn't make those aspects dominate the entire tone of the story. If you really think everyone working in the anime industry actually hates anime and hates their jobs and hates everyone around them but keeps working because of the nonexistent money they're getting, I think you have a misconception of reality.

/XX/

I was just expecting from the documentary details about Boro the Caterpillar and instead Hayao Miyazaki talks about working on another theatrical film! I'll take it, of course... but good luck working on more than 100 cuts by himself until 2019, at that age.

Mr. Takahata was sure he would return anyway, knows him too well! :)

I wonder if Cinelicious will be picking up anymore anime films? I could see them picking up the other two Animerama films.
That was probably part of a plan that it is now on hold, as Craig Rogers also mentioned tackling restoration projects for the rest of Animerama works too as a priority.

On the topic of Tezuka and anime, I wonder when his son will get around to finishing the last part of Legend of the Forest? Part 2 was released around two years ago, I think.
Tezuka Productions must be busy... curating the upcoming exposition planned for December that showcases the 'ero-furry' stash full of sketches made by the master and found in 2014. :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 7:

I doubt I will ever really care about the factional in-fighting that is going on in Gjallerhorn and this was a predictable end and yet I think this was one of the better episodes of the entire series.

Szadek

Mai HiME - Ep. 7
The fuck are you doing Mikoto?
Why would you trust that obviously evil girl over Mai?
Midori was great this episode, in the infirmary and drunken at night.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It didn't ignore any of those aspects. It was constantly dealing with the challenges anime creators face: animator overwork, tight schedules, production collapses, lack of outsourcing oversight, anime adaptations treating the source material with a lack of respect and ticking off the original author, personal conflicts derailing a production, etc., etc. It just didn't make those aspects dominate the entire tone of the story. If you really think everyone working in the anime industry actually hates anime and hates their jobs and hates everyone around them but keeps working because of the nonexistent money they're getting, I think you have a misconception of reality.
That's the mechanics of anime production though, and I'm talking about the personal ethics. Like isn't there an anime where girls wrestle each other with their butts or something this season? Or what about that incest harem anime from a few years ago? I just can't imagine getting up each day being proud of the fact that you get to draw the key frames of girls butt wrestling each other, and I assume these people do it in hopes that they get promoted and can do something "better" in the future, but how often does that happen?

Just looking at seiyuu, since that's the only group of people I somewhat follow, every year there are dozens of new girls introduced in the industry, which means dozens of older girls are probably pushed out. You're taking small parts where you yell "baka" into a microphone because you hope you get to be in the next Love Live or Idolmaster and make it "big" by having steady work, but how many actors actually make it?
Shirobako sort of touched on that via Zuka, which is probably why I found her the most interesting character of the episodes that I saw.

I'm sure I brought this up before, but using the game industry as an example, I can't imagine the people working on things like Candy Crush dreamed of making exploitative mobile games when they were going through college. I'm sure a lot of them want to be the next Jonathan Blow or Miyamoto or whatever but decided to settle for the relative safety of the steady career. Or as I've seen on GAF, they quit the game industry entirely and just go on to programming databases for mega corporation X because the hours and pay are better.

That's the mechanics of anime production though, and I'm talking about the personal ethics. Like isn't there an anime where girls wrestle each other with their butts or something this season? Or what about that incest harem anime from a few years ago? I just can't imagine getting up each day being proud of the fact that you get to draw the key frames of girls butt wrestling each other, and I assume these people do it in hopes that they get promoted and can do something "better" in the future, but how often does that happen?

Have you seen what some of these animators draw during their spare time? Yes, there are people who get up each day being proud of the fact that they get to draw the key frames of girls butt wrestling with each other. Not every animator, I'm sure, but then I don't think that's much different from the animators who worked on a more "prestige" series such as Flowers of Evil - I imagine there were some animators happy to work on it while others viewed their tracing of live action footage with disgust and dislike. It's not as if ecchi anime only get the bad key animators while mainstream-oriented anime only get the good ones; you don't get "promoted" from one to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom