• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

Tash

I just added another custom made prop to my workshop. It's another Asian inspired building with space for two shops or information booths. It's also set up so you can connect the pathways up to the shop front and connect them in 45 degree to the main path as shown in the screenshot :)

FZ1ffnd.png

Kabouter

Some new screenshots of my park.
Fantasy area. Still not sure about the large gates (from workshop) at the start of it, might build something myself there, that fully encloses things. Also still need to theme the cat ride way in the back there.
20161119180412_1vwsi3.jpg

20161119180551_11ws0n.jpg

Foresty coaster:
20161119180757_1xts9x.jpg

20161119180714_1fyswn.jpg

Ferris wheel, kind of trying to go for a zen feel in this part of the park. I suppose the large coaster kind of ruins that part of it though. :p
20161119180815_1iksbx.jpg

20161119180852_1e4s3b.jpg

I just added another custom made prop to my workshop. It's another Asian inspired building with space for two shops or information booths. It's also set up so you can connect the pathways up to the shop front and connect them in 45 degree to the main path as shown in the screenshot :)

FZ1ffnd.png

Wow, that looks great!

Hawk269

For someone that has never played this type of game, how hard/challenging is it to learn to play? I love coasters and always loved the idea of running making/running a theme park type of game, but never played one before. Just wondering if for a newcomer is it too overwhelming?

Huh. So I just found out that each 'theme' of the surroundings you can select has different ground colors to use.

This sucks.

I was planning to have multiple themes in my park. In the middle medieval style, to the left western and to the right pirates/carrebian.

But now I found out I can't color the ground like I wanted to, like orange sand in the western part and all different sorts of sand in the pirates part.

I'm even in sandbox. Everything should be available there.

Anyone know the reason of this or if I'm missing something?

Comandr

For someone that has never played this type of game, how hard/challenging is it to learn to play? I love coasters and always loved the idea of running making/running a theme park type of game, but never played one before. Just wondering if for a newcomer is it too overwhelming?

PC is absolutely not too overwhelming. I had always been a RollerCoaster Tycoon guy. Have been for 17 years since the original. I scoffed at the idea of this new franchise trying to step in and show up the OG.

Boy was I wrong. Planet Coaster invites you to be creative, make mistakes, try things. Even when you're done building a coaster, you can push and pull and tweak every part of the track, sometimes making a completely different ride from just pushing and pulling the parts the right way.

If you're curious, give it a shot. It's not terribly expensive on Steam right now, and if you don't like it, you have 2 hours for a refund. There's no reason not to jump in and give it a go.

Great parks and scenery there Tash and kabouter!

Huh. So I just found out that each 'theme' of the surroundings you can select has different ground colors to use.

This sucks.

I was planning to have multiple themes in my park. In the middle medieval style, to the left western and to the right pirates/carrebian.

But now I found out I can't color the ground like I wanted to, like orange sand in the western part and all different sorts of sand in the pirates part.

I'm even in sandbox. Everything should be available there.

Anyone know the reason of this or if I'm missing something?

Sadly a technological limitation. Voxel terrain can only have up to 6 or 8 different textures.
The problem is, they should be better mixed instead of so many colour repeats in the majority of them.

Great parks and scenery there Tash and kabouter!

Sadly a technological limitation. Voxel terrain can only have up to 6 or 8 different textures.
The problem is, they should be better mixed instead of so many colour repeats in the majority of them.

Ahh thats why. Meh I regret not placing my park in the tropical theme then, as its my favourite theme and i love the different colors of sand. Any way to 'import' your park in another theme that you are aware of? :p

Ahh thats why. Meh I regret not placing my park in the tropical theme then, as its my favourite theme and i love the different colors of sand. Any way to 'import' your park in another theme that you are aware of? :p

Start blueprinting everything 1 by 1 hahahaha.
I laugh, but with some work that could be possible if you dont have buildings with more than 2000 pieces like I do.

After I lost my save once during alpha 3, I had to redo everything from scratch by watching my old videos. There were some blueprints of some of the complicated segments of the central building that helped my save time A LOT.

red731

Hello Ridley, peeps - want to buy PC but thinking about waiting for Steam sales offer - if there will be any.

Do you think there will be one as the game is hot dang new?

Hello Ridley, peeps - want to buy PC but thinking about waiting for Steam sales offer - if there will be any.

Who knows. It's only $45 new, if you don't like it you can always refund it before 2 hour of playtime.

The Argus

I doubt it, at least for the upcoming Holiday Steam Sale. If anything it will be a 10% drop, just like the preorder deal was.

Question, is the sandbox mode (also) with limited money? I'd like to earn the new attractions

Sandbox mode is unlimited money and everything is unlocked from the get go. What you're looking for is the Challenge mode.

maaaaaan this game looks so amazing. has anyone been able to run it on the surface pro4 i5? i have 4gb ram though :(

my gaming laptop is stuck in a loop so i cannot play it on there.

maaaaaan this game looks so amazing. has anyone been able to run it on the surface pro4 i5? i have 4gb ram though :(

my gaming laptop is stuck in a loop so i cannot play it on there.

There's tons of graphical options and running it on the lowest settings might work. You might struggle as you get more visitors in your park towards the end, though...

satriales

I had always been a RollerCoaster Tycoon guy. Have been for 17 years since the original. I scoffed at the idea of this new franchise trying to step in and show up the OG.

Planet Coaster is made by the same people who did RCT3, and some of them worked on the earlier games too. It is Rollercoaster Tycoon in all but name.

That's actually a good idea, I've just suggested it on their forum so there's a chance it could get added in future.

I doubt it, at least for the upcoming Holiday Steam Sale. If anything it will be a 10% drop, just like the preorder deal was.

Sandbox mode is unlimited money and everything is unlocked from the get go. What you're looking for is the Challenge mode.

Is the challenge the story mode that the reviews told was "meh"?

The Argus

That's the Career mode. I've never been into those in any sim game. Challenge mode (from what I recall, I'm a pure Sandbox mode kinda guy) is essentially a do whatever you want, but pay for it game mode. You'll have to research new rides, micromanage employees, and deal with loan interest.

Tash

Thanks! Glad you like the custom buildings :)

I think the biggest beef most reviewers have is with the career mode, which I am still convinced, is just there to teach you about how to manage the park in general. I just skipped it and went straight into challenge and sandbox.

Why does alpine not have snow texture!? Background mountains are snow capped. why can't I do the same.

IKR? I was thinking the same. I am sure they will add snow etc later, though. On the other hand, the cowbells remind me so much of home. It's the song of my people!
Also, I really wish I could lower the water rides into actual water areas..I tried for hours to trick the system but no luck yet :(

Still working on my Asian inspired park. It takes ages, since I am also making all buildings from scratch (and upload them to the workshop for others to use). I am currently finishing up the toilet building to go with my theme.

Here is the WIP of the last part of my "Demon Ride" in the fishing village area. It goes down into an abyss full of burning volcanoes and through caves then comes up again to end in a scenic tour through the village as seen here before you get back into the station.

Sorry about all the night pictures. I am working mostly during the darker hours to make sure the light setup is OK during night.

DUzJou1.png

Also, another question: How are some people sharing their whole parks if you can only upload blueprints with 2k items?

Rflagg

I haven't had much chance to play this yet, but really enjoying it so far all 3 hours of playtime have come in career mode.

Edit:A lot of you have serious talent

satriales

Also, another question: How are some people sharing their whole parks if you can only upload blueprints with 2k items?

As well as individual blueprints you can also upload park files and I don't believe their is any object limit if you are uploading a park. The option to upload a park is in the main menu, i think on the 'My Parks' screen.

Hawk269

I decided to get the game...so far I am completely lost, but starting to learn. Do have one major issue...Frame Rate will randomly go down to 30fps and stay there. I am playing in 4k with max settings and sometimes when it starts it is at 60fps, then all of a sudden it drops to 30fps. If I turn vsync off it goes back up but screen tear, but when I turn vsync back on it goes back to 60. Is this a bug or am I missing something? I can play pretty much locked at 60 and doing one of the challenges, when I have not built anything it will just drop to a flat 30. There is no dipping or fps going up and down, it latterly will drop to what seems like a lock 30fps. It is very strange. I also had a time where I built about 5 rides, lots of pedestrians and no issue maintain 60fps for 40-60 min, then boom drops to 30 for no reason.

Mohasus

I decided to get the game...so far I am completely lost, but starting to learn. Do have one major issue...Frame Rate will randomly go down to 30fps and stay there. I am playing in 4k with max settings and sometimes when it starts it is at 60fps, then all of a sudden it drops to 30fps. If I turn vsync off it goes back up but screen tear, but when I turn vsync back on it goes back to 60. Is this a bug or am I missing something? I can play pretty much locked at 60 and doing one of the challenges, when I have not built anything it will just drop to a flat 30. There is no dipping or fps going up and down, it latterly will drop to what seems like a lock 30fps. It is very strange. I also had a time where I built about 5 rides, lots of pedestrians and no issue maintain 60fps for 40-60 min, then boom drops to 30 for no reason.

That is double buffered v-sync. Your computer can't output 60 fps, so it uses half the refresh rate.

Hawk269

That is double buffered v-sync. Your computer can't output 60 fps, so it uses half the refresh rate.

Huh? If my computer can't, why does it run the majority of the time at 60fps? This odd drop goes exactly to 30fps, there is no in-between it just randomly will go to 30 and stay there until I mess with turning vsync off, then back on and I am back to 60fps. So it is not that my rig can't handle 30fps.

Should I be using vsync from the control panel instead of in-game?

GAMEPLAY RELATED QUESTION:

Since I am new to this genre of gaming, the game kept telling me I needed trash cans so I put a ton of them, even though my park is really small, 4 rides and food/drink stations and bathrooms. Even though I put like 25 trashcans it still said this. But I put the trashcans on the edge of the walkways, not on the actual walkways, is this why it keeps telling me that there is a lot of trash and I need to put trash cans up? I also put benches up, but noticed no one using them, but I also put them on the edge of the walkway, so they were on the grass but not on the actually pathway.

Uploaded a launch coaster station to the workshop.

Since I am new to this genre of gaming, the game kept telling me I needed trash cans so I put a ton of them, even though my park is really small, 4 rides and food/drink stations and bathrooms. Even though I put like 25 trashcans it still said this. But I put the trashcans on the edge of the walkways, not on the actual walkways, is this why it keeps telling me that there is a lot of trash and I need to put trash cans up? I also put benches up, but noticed no one using them, but I also put them on the edge of the walkway, so they were on the grass but not on the actually pathway.

Have you hired cleaners? The trash cans fill up quickly and they'll empty them and sweep up any other litter.

Hawk269

Uploaded a launch coaster station to the workshop.

Have you hired cleaners? The trash cans fill up quickly and they'll empty them and sweep up any other litter.

Not yet. So the trashcans can be put on the grass next to the walkways or should the trashcans be placed on the physical pathways? Sorry, I am completely new to this genre and getting to grips with it.

Not yet. So the trashcans can be put on the grass next to the walkways or should the trashcans be placed on the physical pathways? Sorry, I am completely new to this genre and getting to grips with it.

Yes you can put them on the grass beside the path where it magnetizes them to the path. You should always hire a janitor or two straight away to empty them.

Sayers

How is the management side of the game? I actually enjoyed that part of the RCT games more than the creating roller coasters part (mainly because I sucked at it).

The Workshop support for this is staggering. I'm going to let Civ VI patch itself up until spring and jump on this with my new rig.

Everything looks so high-res! I'm blown away by these night scenes.

Unicorn

So, I'm trying to make a little gnome out of scenery items, but can't figure out how to make it a single item or blueprint to easily reuse. How do I group scenery items together?

Lach

When placing a ride, is there a keyboard shortcut to cicle through "Place Entrance", "Place Exit" etc.? I've gotten quite efficent using the keyboard shortcuts but this is the case where I always have to use the mouse to click a button.

Arex

so these building or scenery stuff, some of them are bound to grid and some of them like the walls or the roofs can't be advanced moved/rotated, is that correct? a bit restrictive :\

satriales

So, I'm trying to make a little gnome out of scenery items, but can't figure out how to make it a single item or blueprint to easily reuse. How do I group scenery items together?
Just above the play/pause button is the multiselect tool. Drag around all of the items you want and then save as a blueprint.

Sevenfold

so these building or scenery stuff, some of them are bound to grid and some of them like the walls or the roofs can't be advanced moved/rotated, is that correct? a bit restrictive :\

If you're editing a building. Things will snap to that grid. In Alpha you could select certain pieces to change the size of the grid (same for height stages) I'm not sure if this is still the case, Ridley will know that one, but if you deselect the building you are editing, you then have free reign on your placements. Takes a little getting used to but you have absolute control of placement.

ekim

How do I get the full game on Steam? I bought the alpha back in the days before it was on Steam and then got a key to get the alpha on Steam but I don't see the full game in my list :(

edit: got it

Tash

If you are in building editing mode and have a certain piece selected you can click on the door with an arrow sign in the editing bar. It will unlock that piece from the building and then let you adjust it without grid snapping.

These are the multi select tools - just drag and hold to select everything within the area while having the first one selected or ctrl select to add and remove items from a selection with the second one selected. Additionally if items are linked to a building you can also ctrl select to select multiple pieces.

I'll probably upload some of my building to the workshop later.

Love your buildings. They fit perfectly in the alpine area and remind me of Switzerland. I was planing to do some original Swiss/Austrian houses for an alpine themed park.

Finally! Have some time today so I'm going to put a few hours in my park again. Will update this thread with new pics later today! Kinda sad about the fact that I can't use all the ground textures but I've given that dissapointment a place and I'll just be creative about it.

Start blueprinting everything 1 by 1 hahahaha.
I laugh, but with some work that could be possible if you dont have buildings with more than 2000 pieces like I do.

After I lost my save once during alpha 3, I had to redo everything from scratch by watching my old videos. There were some blueprints of some of the complicated segments of the central building that helped my save time A LOT.

Haha, yeahhh I'm not going to do that lol.

That's actually a good idea, I've just suggested it on their forum so there's a chance it could get added in future.

Thanks!

Made some waterfalls for my old alpha 1 park

Wow am I missing something? How did you make waterfalls?

Do you guys think we'll see Disney World creations at some point? Or would that not be allowed?

There already are in the workshop!

Misuta

Is it true you can even customize the buildings? (e.g. chaging the position or color of the windows, doors, signs etc.)

Just added everyone new, and updated los of new posts in the Creative Community Post
Keep them comming!

At first it sounds super restrictive, i can assure you that becuase I was always asking during the alpha for grid based items to have a freemode option. After that when you start playing and mixing grid based and free pieces you will start to experience you dont have those limitations. It has a learning curve but remember that you dotn need to be bound to the grid to make a diagonal wall on a building, you just make a building with 2 grids, then multiselect tool helps moving the whole building as one around.

Do you guys think we'll see Disney World creations at some point? Or would that not be allowed?
There are. Lots of Disneyland paris stuff on the workshop, including parks. No one restricts you making recreations, but even when very well done, Frontier will never used them if you want to get into the master builder section.
Thats what happened with my Parque Warner recreation, they loved it, but couldnt use it during their trailers, etc...

Finally! Have some time today so I'm going to put a few hours in my park again. Will update this thread with new pics later today! Kinda sad about the fact that I can't use all the ground textures but I've given that dissapointment a place and I'll just be creative about it.

Haha, yeahhh I'm not going to do that lol.

Thanks!

Wow am I missing something? How did you make waterfalls?

Well placed stones and the medium water effects. The hard thing is terraforming higher bodies of water, becuase you need a thick layer of terrain in between them, if not it doesnt let you put water.

Is it true you can even customize the buildings? (e.g. chaging the position or color of the windows, doors, signs etc.)

Someone really needs to read the OT lol. I recommend looking at what the gaf community is making on the second post of this thread, all of those buildings are completly custom.

Top Bottom