• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Monthly Games for December: Lego 2K Drive, Powerwash Simulator, Sable

while not absolute blockbusters those seem like decent, solid 70 scored games
but the grumpy force is of course at it again, trashing games that are not really bad and acting like Sony must now offer Spiderman2 day one just because of some payment increase.
Acting like 36 games of that quality are not worth the essential fee is making them sound like insufferably entitled brats.
Acting like 350 games plus another 350 games for the other tiers quite the same.

Thanks MS, first for making MP not free and now for ruining every game's value to practically zero.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just going off one video review, I think you guys are sleeping on Lego Drive. Looks like Sonic Racing. I'm tempted to buy it on sale now sometime.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thanks MS, first for making MP not free and now for ruining every game's value to practically zero.

This is the truth.

We're at a point now where I assume almost everyone has an immense backlog of titles with more being piled on month after month. Unsurprisingly almost nothing seems "special" anymore unless its got major steam behind it for whatever reason, and for obvious reasons such titles are relatively few and infrequently published.

What's more concerning, and this is specific to MS' approach with GamePass, because its also an undeniable fact that Sony were the ones who started this trend of "giving games monthly", is the way that the perceptual devaluation over time effect has become massively accelerated because GamePass stresses above all else the added value of giving the player new releases as part of the service.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see we've entered the 'blame MS for PS+ behaviors I don't like' stage.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I enjoyed the heck out of Powerwash Simulator. If you want a game to just zone out to that's a good one. Pure catharsis. People who are trying to call it a bad inclusion are weird.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I see we've entered the 'blame MS for PS+ behaviors I don't like' stage.

No. The issue is what I stated it is. The content isn't the problem as evidenced by Sable which was trumpeted as a big deal when in launched as an Xbox exclusive back in 2021 is now unworthy of mention because the audience has been conditioned to think that anything that isn't brand new or hyped up the ass has no value.

adamsapple

No. The issue is what I stated it is. The content isn't the problem as evidenced by Sable which was trumpeted as a big deal when in launched as an Xbox exclusive back in 2021 is now unworthy of mention because the audience has been conditioned to think that anything that isn't brand new or hyped up the ass has no value.

2 things that contradict your stated issue though.

1. Sable, as you yourself mention, is a 2021 game. It launched on day 1 on GP, which is naturally a bigger highlight than it releasing 2 years later on another service.

2. There's at least one user in this topic who mentioned it in well regards.

Both PS+ and GP retread each others games, but naturally a game releasing on its global release day will garner more discussion than it releasing 2 years later.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
2 things that contradict your stated issue though.

1. Sable, as you yourself mention, is a 2021 game. It launched on day 1 on GP, which is naturally a bigger highlight than it releasing 2 years later on another service.

2. There's at least one user in this topic who mentioned it in well regards.

Both PS+ and GP retread each others games, but naturally a game releasing on its global release day will garner more discussion than it releasing 2 years later.

How does that contradict my point? Isn't a good game always a good game?

You unwittingly proved me correct, the amount of discussion an inclusion generates is not indicative of its value or utility. I mean, if a subscriber already owns a game it doesn't matter how popular, how acclaimed, or how recently it was released! Its superfluous to their interests.

Ironically the logically best selection criteria for services like this are games that were overlooked or underperformed in some way despite their quality. That's how you serve the community and gaming as a whole - giving good games and franchises a second chance to find an appreciative audience.

Recycling popular successful games might look more appealing and generous, but if it doesn't serve the majority of subscribers' interests... In a roundabout way this only demonstrates why encouraging players to expect the latest titles within their subscription is so destructive to value and overall platform health.

adamsapple

How does that contradict my point? Isn't a good game always a good game? ..
the amount of discussion an inclusion generates is not indicative of its value or utility.

Again, you're missing out the time factor that you, yourself, highlighted in your post.

It's still a good game, it's just not a new, day 1, release. It's a year 2+ release.

Why would something garner the same amount of discussion or hype 2 years after the fact and compared to its launch on day 1 on another service.

If FFVII Remake comes to Xbox now, it'll garner some discussion sure, but it will be a fraction of what it was back when it first came out.

Another example, FC6 is coming to game pass, it's been on PS+ for a while, only 1 person has brought it up as something they're looking forward to in the GP announcement topic.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
“This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service”
In other words: "Out of that 33% price increase, we'll contribute 3% to better games and pocket the remaining 30%."

Sony has something like 47M subbers (give or take a million). The annual price increase is $20-40 pending which sub tier. Fo sake of argument let's say most people skew to the base plan and the weighted avg is $25 per sub.

$25 x 47M sub = over $1 billion in extra revenue.

And their latest monthly game give away is 2K drive, power washing sim and sable. Wow. Talk about bottomless pockets!

NickFire

How does that contradict my point? Isn't a good game always a good game?

You unwittingly proved me correct, the amount of discussion an inclusion generates is not indicative of its value or utility. I mean, if a subscriber already owns a game it doesn't matter how popular, how acclaimed, or how recently it was released! Its superfluous to their interests.

Ironically the logically best selection criteria for services like this are games that were overlooked or underperformed in some way despite their quality. That's how you serve the community and gaming as a whole - giving good games and franchises a second chance to find an appreciative audience.

Recycling popular successful games might look more appealing and generous, but if it doesn't serve the majority of subscribers' interests... In a roundabout way this only demonstrates why encouraging players to expect the latest titles within their subscription is so destructive to value and overall platform health.
Popular and successful games would absolutely be superfluous for people who already own the games. But most people will not own everything that came out 1.5-3 years ago, so over the course of a year most people would get at least some good games that don't make the mandatory online tax feel like a 12 month kick in the balls.

I don't want to be the guy telling others who love indies and crap like lego racing to stop having fun. But suggesting those games serve the majority of subscriber's interests sounds like nonsense to me. Most people I know don't bother with the vast majority of PS+ games because we didn't spend 500 (before extra controlllers, ssd, games, etc) to play indie games and lego games. Certainly did not spend all that money to pretend to power wash anything.

Last edited:

CobraAB

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

P.s. have you played pw simulator? It's by far the best powerwash simulator on the market :lollipop_squinting:
🤔

Top Bottom