• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Jan. 2024 games: A Plague Tale: Requiem, Evil West, Nobody Saves the World

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Thanks. Going to subscribe for a month and get the platinum for Plague Tale: R. Loved the first game.

Toph, keep your expectations in check brother, the 1st Plague tale is still better, Requiem comes off as a Naughty Dog game wannabe in that it tries to be the usual "bigger, better and more badass ®" sequel but fails to do so due to an obviously lower budget , characters that won't shut the fuck up and the usual limited, stilted and dated stealth game mechanics and idiotic A.I...

1st game was a nice AA surprise that had "soul", 2nd one I pretty much disliked 'cause it tries to be something that is not.

Your mileage may vary obviously but, yeah...😉

Cheers

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Toph, keep your expectations in check brother, the 1st Plague tale is still better, Requiem comes off as a Naughty Dog game wannabe in that it tries to be the usual "bigger, better and more badass ®" sequel but fails to do so due to an obviously lower budget , characters that won't shut the fuck up and the usual limited, stilted and dated stealth game mechanics and idiotic A.I...

1st game was a nice AA surprise that had "soul", 2nd one I pretty much disliked 'cause it tries to be something that is not.

Cheers

Appreciate the heads up my man. Might just wait and pick it from a Gamefly rental later on in that case. Got plenty to play right now anyway

Last edited:
Definitely picking up Evil West. I've been holding off on buying it because it kind of looks mid/generic but i've been tempted to buy it a few times. Time to see what its all about.
You're in for a treat.

michael palin GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you know which is the best mode to play on the PS5? In terms of a nice balance b/w visuals and frames and stability?

The 40hz mode is the best but as per the last testing, it dropped plenty of frames on the PS5 version, so your mileage may vary, cause I don't think the game has received any patches in months.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Cheers
Damn, a lot of this makes so much sense in retrospect when it came out.

TexMex

Finally games I want that I haven't already bought (Plague and Evil).

I really hope everyone plays Nobody Saves the World. It's so, so great with a very fun NG+ as well. My top 5 for the year when it came out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow Plague Tale sequel is an awesome drop, have wanted to play that but never pushed the button. I am on the PS Plus Essential ghetto sub, I wonder if that’s enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I asked the same question. Apparently it is.
Yeah, the initial announcement for the first Tuesday of every month are the PS+ games we have always received permanently (as long as you are subbed and claimed in that time period of 30 day or so availability). The mid-month announcements are for the other tiers, which some rotate in and out.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Plague Tale Requiem was amazing. Not too sure about the others. GaaS and all things considered, Warframe does it well. Don't sleep on that game. Incredible amount of content. Always something to do.

Been hoping for Evil West for the past few months. The other two are the cherry on top. Really nice month to have for Essential after the slew of mediocre and bad news for quite a few months now.

Fbh

Do you know which is the best mode to play on the PS5? In terms of a nice balance b/w visuals and frames and stability?

Haven't played it myself but based on the comparisons, if you've got a 120hz TV the 40fps seems like a decent compromise.

The cuts on the performance mode are quite significant. It's not just lower resolution but drastically reduced foliage in some scenes, NPCs animate as low as 20fps at a distance, there's fewer farm animals walking around towns, etc

The 40fps mode isn't a perfect lock on Ps5 but it seems to run fine outside some specific stress areas.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Haven't played it myself but based on the comparisons, if you've got a 120hz TV the 40fps seems like a decent compromise.

The cuts on the performance mode are quite significant. It's not just lower resolution but drastically reduced foliage in some scenes, NPCs animate as low as 20fps at a distance, there's fewer farm animals walking around towns, etc

The 40fps mode isn't a perfect lock on Ps5 but it seems to run fine outside some specific stress areas.
Crazy how "taxing" foliage is in their game engine. What year is it?

TexMex

Looks like a beautiful game and Spiderman 2 really made me a believer in the 40fps mode if you have a TV that can support it. It isn't 60, but it isn't especially far off either and feels great.

Blindy

Pretty good month. I played Requiem and thought it was really good. Missed out on trying Nobody Saves The World when it was free via Game Pass so I think I gotta jump in now and Evil West was on my radar so happy it's apart of this catalog.

xrnzaaas

Great lineup for those who haven't played Plague Tale 2 yet.

And damn, I just bought Evil West on a sale. At least it's a physical copy so not the same.

StereoVsn

Well, that’s quite the month as all the games look interesting. Into the “library” they go (we don’t call it backlog around these parts! 😉).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In the DF video they write somewhere that on VRR screens the rats are 60fps

That makes no sense. VRR just allows a variable display refresh rate that isn't locked to e.g. 60hz, would be very strange if it doubled the update of just one specific element.

JaksGhost

That makes no sense. VRR just allows a variable display refresh rate that isn't locked to e.g. 60hz, would be very strange if it doubled the update of just one specific element.
On top of the successes of the 60fps performance mode, there's a surprise extra on update 1.5 here. In hooking your PS5 or Series X up to a 120Hz display instead, this mode runs with an entirely unlocked frame-rate. Potentially this lets the renderer go right up to the max 120fps as well, in rare instances - in select cut-scenes, too. But in general gameplay, we're more often looking at between 70fps to 100fps - occasionally dropping into the mid 60s during the opener around the castle ruins. It's honestly fascinating to see this included, and gives an insight into where the biggest stress test areas are. Into just how wide, or narrow, the clearance is above the 60fps line when running at 60Hz. Another curious twist here is, the rat animation refresh changes to at 60fps instead, so long as either console outputs at 120Hz.

It's also worth touching on the state of the 1440p resolution mode. Connected to a 60Hz display you get a 30fps lock just as before the patch, running at 1440p with all the extra bells and whistles in textures, foliage density and more. And as before, switching to a 120Hz display in this mode means the cap raises to 40fps once again. I'm glad to say this runs equally well on both Series X and PS5 - with few major drops under 40 if you'd prefer to push for higher visual quality. At 40fps, or 30fps, on the resolution mode, it also inevitably hides the lower refresh on the rats, and NPCs. Either way, it's never run better and since launch, with performance ironed out to a (mostly) flat line.

Didn’t pick up this plagues tale cause I didn’t get to the last one I got on PS+ . . . I can’t even keep up with subscriptions anymore.

Doh when I realized nobody saves the world is not neo the world ends with you. But yea buddy when I realized neo the world ends with you is on ps+.

Luipadre

Yeah dont play plague tale at 60, it looks bad. Its not a adhd shooter either, so 30 is perfectly fine, but 40hz mode is the best if you can use that one. Played and finished it in game pass when it came out, really enjoyed it, its an amazing looking game

Last edited:
Top Bottom