• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana January 2024: #1 MWIII #2 Tekken 8 #3 Suicide Squad ; PS5 #1 Units + Rev, Switch #2 Units Xbox #2 Rev

diffusionx

Gold Member
In a better world, Prince of Persia and Suicide Squad would be flipped. Also is this the first time GTA5 isn't on this list? Has the game finally reached everybody?

Persona 3 launched on Game Pass.

GamePass improves sales

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

As i said...PS5's first 2 online games recently are on fire. Both this one and Helldivers 2 doing numbers.

I don't think people that don't follow US charts realize how rare a 2 year old racing simulator charting really is.
Specially an exclusive like this.

The fact that's turning out to be the most successful of the franchise is amazing.
GT7 is a great simcade racer. Anecdotally, I know two friends of mine who bought a PS5 last year solely to play GT7 because they didn't want to wait until Sony/Polyphony Digital decides to release a PC port.

I'm sure it will continue to sell well for years to come as long as they keep up the steady stream of quality content.

ShakenG

Ma boy GT7.. 🥹
Just need that Pro and Pro update. Game is solid fun but far from perfect. Which is incredible if you think about it..

Woopah

Happy to have platform charts back. Sony first party games are showing very strong legs, and there's some good third party successes on Switch.

Edit: And looks like PS Portal has been moved to the accessory sector where it belongs. Was always weird that Sony asked it to be considered hardware.

Growth in Xbox Series hardware dollar sales was unable to offset declines across other platforms
Hopefully this stops people saying that Circana only uses the term "other platforms" because they are biased towards Microsoft.

 It is interesting how circana numbers are only good when it is convenient 🤦.
Who says this?
In a better world, Prince of Persia and Suicide Squad would be flipped. Also is this the first time GTA5 isn't on this list? Has the game finally reached everybody?
GTAV stopped charting after Take 2 stopped including digital sales.

Last edited:
Yeah, Europe is the only where the PS5 is tacking behind PS4 by a considerable margin.
It's also the place where PS5 was out of stock the longest and the one place where Sony increased prices the most. From 80€ per game to increasing the console price by 50€.

There's no miracles here no matter how big Playstation is.

Zones

In the consoles are dying thread, people were saying PS5 was selling worse than PS4.

7% after a $100 price increase over PS4, the pandemic, inflation and chip shortages is not bad.
The real numbers tell a significantly different story (in favor of PS5).

PS4 Pro released @ $399 during late 2016, right alongside PS4 Slim @ $299.

PS4 Slim was then bundled with U4 and reduced in price to $249 during the BF 2016 week, however, much like the PS5 SM2 bundles, that bundle was available for most of the holidays at $249.

BlackFriday.jpg

In contrast, PS5 has been $500 with Spider-Man 2 during the holidays, and that’s really about all there was for PS5.

Last edited:
It's also the place where PS5 was out of stock the longest and the one place where Sony increased prices the most. From 80€ per game to increasing the console price by 50€.

There's no miracles here no matter how big Playstation is.
Europe is the only region where Sony is running promotions atm.

But they need to do a permanent price cut, there are European countries where the PS4 version of EA Sports 24 is outselling the PS5 version, that clearly is a sign of so much potential for the latter.

Europe is the only region where Sony is running promotions atm.

But they need to do a permanent price cut, there are European countries where the PS4 version of EA Sports 24 is outselling the PS5 version, that clearly is a sign of so much potential for the latter.
They are doing promos because its more expensive as well. They should just do a price cut for good. What was the reason for the slim if they aren’t saving more money? I don’t get it.

Luigi Mario

Good results for Tekken 8 and Persona 3.
Whereas Jujutsu Kaisen looks like yet another licensed anime flop.
Bandai Namco should really know by now that these low effort 3D arena fighters aren't cutting it anymore.

Also, interesting to see platform-specific charts being reported again, I wonder why they decided to bring them back?

They are doing promos because its more expensive as well. They should just do a price cut for good. What was the reason for the slim if they aren’t saving more money? I don’t get it.

The slim was an opportunity to streamline production and raise the price of the digital version.

I called out before the slim was revealed that the price of the playstation was likely going up. Got absolutely thrashed for it here on gaf.

I called out that they needed to improve their margins and were going to look at every avenue to do it.

They might save a bit more money on the PS5 slim, but it still uses the same tech as the PS5. I wonder if we'll ever see a PS5 Super Slim or if they're struggling to gain cost savings at a small nm.

At the end of the day if you include a PS5 handheld with PS5 console sales, I think it'll end up being the best selling system of all time. So they don't have to rush into price cuts now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In the consoles are dying thread, people were saying PS5 was selling worse than PS4.

7% after a $100 price increase over PS4, the pandemic, inflation and chip shortages is not bad.

Not bad? I'd say it's great!

Goes to show that Sony's idea of throwing money and total control to Kaz has worked out. I love the thought that PSVR2 also helped GT7 sell more games.

Top Bottom