• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) February 2024: #1 Helldivers 2 #2 FF7 Rebirth #4 Skull and Bones #8 FF7 Twin Pack; PS5 #1 Units+Rev, Switch #2 Units Xbox #2 Rev

so basically based on matt responding to that troll post:

xbox -19%?
ps -20+%
switch -20+%

tbh the decline in playstation sales considering the stock availability, slim bundled with spiderman, and the launch of FF is very bad for the market.... PC and mobile are really taking off this year.
Context is needed, last February was the highest Playstation platform revenue and unit sales ever, even beating PS2's best February. March 2023 was even bigger so expect another drop in March. Remember last FY Quarter 4 (Jan to Mar) the PS5 shipped more consoles (6.3 million) than any other platform in history even more than peak DS in 2008. Sony forecast 4.5 million for this current Q4 so expect declines globally and that's the problem when you have record breaking sales, the following year you are going to have some drops and it looks bad even though it isn't.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's right there in the title :

well-hello.gif
No, I mean in the full year, like how Sony won over Xbox in a full year. How does Sony compare to Nintendo in the same metric you used.

Context is needed, last February was the highest Playstation platform revenue and unit sales ever, even beating PS2's best February. March 2023 was even bigger so expect another drop in March. Remember last FY Quarter 4 (Jan to Mar) the PS5 shipped more consoles (6.3m) than any other platform in history even more than peak DS in 2008.

But Piscatella will never tell you this....

It's not convenient....

Jaybe

Yeah, we need the percentage based on Units to get a more clear picture like the European charts. This guy Matt is sneaky trying to make things vague with his hardware comparisons.

Mat is sneaky but Welfare Welfare should know better too than to use the -19% revenue decline as a placeholder for hardware unit decline when Welfare himself was going on and on about XSX supply constraints pointing to Amazon and Best Buy out of stocks in the Feb 2023 threads. It’s clear the Average Selling Price for Xbox is higher, so the units have declined at least somewhat more than -19%. I’m not on Install Base though, so can’t correct him there, maybe Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 can.

Last edited:
Spiderman 2 is an example of Sony thinking like a multiplatform publisher which was the main point of that post. Once you start putting profits over pushing the best looking most polished games designed to sell consoles, you end up with games like Spiderman 2 who have their ambitions curtailed by suits and big chunks of the game cut out. Again, this is according to the director himself. Imagine if Neil was told to cut out levels from TLOU2 because they wanted to ship on time. Nah, but sony in 2019 was different and they delayed the game not once but three times.

Whats changed since 2019? Their mentality. They now want profits over graphically demanding genre pushing console exclusives that push consoles. Just look at how Sony isnt even in the top 10 of Metacritics top 10 publishers of the year for 2023. They ranked 13th. As a sony fan, this is embarrassing.

I literally created a thread last month that listed all the sony first party games that are due for release the rest of gen while everyone else was crying wolf over sony's silence and lack of first party games until 2025.
In 2019, Sony had GOW, Horizon, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and Bloodborne to showcase the PS4. In 2023, Sony had no blockbuster AAA titles to sell the PS5. And that is really bad for business when they just had a record breaking year for console sales. That is why SM2 was rushed

Ozriel

M$FT
BTW that's only 3 days of tracking for FF7 Rebirth. 4th rank in year-to-date software sales charts is nothing to sneeze at. Some people won't be happy with this :p

Depends on if you think Suicide Squad sold very well. It’s 5th on the YTD charts, and was 3rd last month.

I don’t think there’s anything major to be gleaned from a YTD chart from early months like Jan and Feb.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
In 2019, Sony had GOW, Horizon, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and Bloodborne to showcase the PS4. In 2023, Sony had no blockbuster AAA titles to sell the PS5. And that is really bad for business when they just had a record breaking year for console sales. That is why SM2 was rushed
Nah, GOW was 2018. Horizon 2017 and BB 2015. Thats like saying Sony had HFW, GOW Rangorak, GT7 and Ratchet for 2023.

They only had Days Gone and Death Stranding for 2019. Watch the internal ND docs. They were actually targeting 2018 internally so when they missed their holiday 2019 window they were very upset. But Sony allowed them because they were a different company back then.

H-I-M

Nah, GOW was 2018. Horizon 2017 and BB 2015. Thats like saying Sony had HFW, GOW Rangorak, GT7 and Ratchet for 2023.

They only had Days Gone and Death Stranding for 2019. Watch the internal ND docs. They were actually targeting 2018 internally so when they missed their holiday 2019 window they were very upset. But Sony allowed them because they were a different company back then.
You are missing the point. The PS5 had no blockbuster Playstation exclusives until SM2. The first 3 years of PS4 had Bloodborne, UC4, Infamous, and Killzone. That is why SM2 was rushed

Last edited:

Kacho

Y'all see whats missing from the Xbox most played list?

Sad really
Starfield? It’s just not that good so it doesn’t have staying power like previous BGS games. If they deliver another turd with TESVI I’m going to riot.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You are missing the point. The PS5 had no blockbuster Playstation exclusives until SM2. The first 3 years of PS4 had Bloodborne, UC4, Infamous, and Killzone. That is why SM2 was rushed
You are right. its true that PS5 didnt have any blockbuster PS5 exclusives. And the reason for that is because Sony stopped thinking like a console manufacturer making exclusives that PUSH CONSOLES and started thinking as a multiplatform publisher PUSHING SOFTWARE to maximize profits. Hence HFW, GOWR, and GT7 blockbuster titles releasing as cross gen games.

Last edited:
Cross gen games can still push hardware, just like multiplat games push hardware.
Obviously.
You are right. its true that PS5 didnt have any blockbuster PS5 exclusives. And the reason for that is because Sony stopped thinking like a console manufacturer making exclusives that PUSH CONSOLES and started thinking as a multiplatform publisher PUSHING SOFTWARE to maximize profits. Hence HFW, GOWR, and GT7 blockbuster titles releasing as cross gen games.
Yeah, Sony is not going to sell a 200+ million dollar game exclusively to a console with 20mil users. Those decisions were made back in 2018/2019, back when you said Sony were at their best

DrFigs

Not sure why we haven't gotten PR, but we can essentially confirm that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is doing very well.
yeah people are suggesting that the silence is indicative of weak sales. but there's also not been any pr for helldivers 2 and we know that game did super well.

ByWatterson

yeah people are suggesting that the silence is indicative of weak sales. but there's also not been any pr for helldivers 2 and we know that game did super well.

Yeah, but Square typically says something.

On the other hand, it's also Square. They're super weird in their corporate behavior at all times. So we gotta go by actual data, which indicates the game is a clear success.

Last edited:
PS5 was the only console to have a sales increase from January this year. Both Switch and Xbox decreased. In what world would Helldivers 2 make the PS5 sell more than a game like Hogwarts Legacy? That was never going to happen lol.

Helldivers 2 did more than its job. PS5 sales are incredible for the time of the year we're at. Over 400k in February is amazing for a console approaching its 4th anniversary without a price decrease.

Not only that they had a price increase not decrease.

yazenov

Depends on if you think Suicide Squad sold very well. It’s 5th on the YTD charts, and was 3rd last month.

I don’t think there’s anything major to be gleaned from a YTD chart from early months like Jan and Feb.
Well, if you think Suicide Squad underperformed, wait till Hell blade 2 comes out next month? and we can decide which game is a bigger flop.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, if you think Suicide Squad underperformed, wait till Hell blade 2 comes out next month? and we can decide which game is a bigger flop.

2 months, you mean. It’s releasing May 21st. I guess we’ll see, won’t we?

WB says Suicide Squad underperformed and Steam concurrent counts suggests the same, so it’s less around what I ‘think’ vs factual data.

Last edited:

yazenov

2 months, you mean. It’s releasing May 21st. I guess we’ll see, won’t we?

WB says Suicide Squad underperformed and Steam concurrent counts suggests the same, so it’s less around what I ‘think’ vs factual data.

Alright, but don't excuse the Hell blades 2 sales or lack of it with the usual it's on Gamepass card because it's on 2 platforms and not everyone on Xbox is subscribed to Gamepass. :p

wa600

The usual story.
PS5 continues to dominate and both Helldivers 2 and FF7R did great.
Xbox is falling behind Switch in what should be their main market. Certainly announcing that they're going full multiplatform with more and more of their games won't help.
How would you know Rebirth did great?
For 2024 its sitting between a game that is on #5 for February and #2 for January and another game that is on #7 for February and #3 for January. I'd be surprised if the second game ends up top 20 at the end of 2024.

The one thing you can argue is that Rebirth only had 3 days to accumulate sales. But with how frontloaded such a game is, its certainly not going to end up #1 for March.

Elios83

How would you know Rebirth did great?
For 2024 its sitting between a game that is on #5 for February and #2 for January and another game that is on #7 for February and #3 for January. I'd be surprised if the second game ends up top 20 at the end of 2024.

The one thing you can argue is that Rebirth only had 3 days to accumulate sales. But with how frontloaded such a game is, its certainly not going to end up #1 for March.

You have answered it by yourself, just three days of tracking it's number 2 plus number 8 with the Twin Pack.
If this doesn't transfer to great sales it would mean the industry is in a really dire state with really low software sales all around.
We'll see how it holds in March, so far so good in the US.

true, but still the console is $449/$399 with their most popular ip bundled and the launch of the biggest FF game since XVI, and their biggest game since spiderman with hell divers. Maybe the digital console selling more units at $399 this year also affects that total revenue decline calculation so it isn't as bad as it seems at least when it comes to unit sales.
Come back in the March thread.

Those prices started in March this year, not February.

The console was still launch price ($499 for the disc slim) and $449 for the digital only slim.

Spiderman 2 is an example of Sony thinking like a multiplatform publisher which was the main point of that post. Once you start putting profits over pushing the best looking most polished games designed to sell consoles, you end up with games like Spiderman 2 who have their ambitions curtailed by suits and big chunks of the game cut out. Again, this is according to the director himself. Imagine if Neil was told to cut out levels from TLOU2 because they wanted to ship on time.

I don’t know the full story on what was cut from SM2, but the game had roughly the same length as SM1 but with far more set pieces

You are so inconsistent with your thoughts. On one hand, you want to go back to shorter 20 hour games so we get them quicker

On the other hand you throw shade at a developer’s intentional decision to limit scope and release on time

Just stop dude.

Ozriel

M$FT
Alright, but don't excuse the Hell blades 2 sales or lack of it with the usual it's on Gamepass card because it's on 2 platforms and not everyone on Xbox is subscribed to Gamepass. :p

Why go into a fit because I pointed out factual information about the poor performance of an already released game that’s relevant as a sales calibration of sorts for YTD 2024 games?

What exactly has FF 7 Rebirth or this thread got to do with Hellblade 2? Not everything has to be warz shit.

yazenov

Why go into a fit because I pointed out factual information about the poor performance of an already released game that’s relevant as a sales calibration of sorts for YTD 2024 games?

What exactly has FF 7 Rebirth or this thread got to do with Hellblade 2? Not everything has to be warz shit.

Because you seemed awfully concerned about a game that tracked only 3 days in sales and trying to paint it somehow as a disappointment when compering it to Suicide squad which was released on January 30th which was released on multiple platforms?

Stick to your lane and leave your concerns for Xbox games like Hell blade 2.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Because you seemed awfully concerned about a game that tracked only 3 days in sales and trying to paint it somehow as a disappointment when compering it to Suicide squad which was released on January 30th which was released on multiple platforms?

You must be confused. Here’s my post again to help you remember.
Nothing in my post talked about the sales being ‘disappointing’. All I’ve pointed out is that its position on the YTD charts doesn’t really tell us much since we don’t have enough data, and since the game it’s one step above is known to have performed poorly. We’d have a better idea of its performance if it were above Tekken 8.

Stick to your lane and leave your concerns for Xbox games like Hell blade 2.

The beauty of owning every platform is that everything is in your ‘lane’.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why the hell did they give Mobile all the the credit for the $94 million uplift when $54.7 million of that uplift came from the 25% increase of Accessories?

Avoided giving the credit to PlayStation Portal & PS Edge

Edit: nevermind I calculated that wrong but still the statement remains lol

That's ~ $43.8 of the ~ $92 million uplift from Accessories

I think you know why. "THEY" need to have us believe that PS Portal wasn't a good idea.

Killjoy-NL

Yet Sony is still expecting to sell 21M units for FY 2023 and since MS is probably at ~25M worldwide YTD, PS5 is selling like 80% of Series YTD during a slow year.

How is that bad? Especially since we know the heavy hitters for Playstation are in production.

yazenov

You must be confused. Here’s my post again to help you remember.
Nothing in my post talked about the sales being ‘disappointing’. All I’ve pointed out is that its position on the YTD charts doesn’t really tell us much since we don’t have enough data, and since the game it’s one step above is known to have performed poorly. We’d have a better idea of its performance if it were above Tekken 8.

The beauty of owning every platform is that everything is in your ‘lane’.

Im mean, everyone in this forum knows your preference quite well. Don't kid yourself or us into thinking your lane is not Xbox. I'd respect you more if you flat out admit it rather than trying to mask your love for MS, because you ain't fooling anyone. You're labeled M$FT for a reason and you're definitely arguing in bad faith.

Im glad you brought up Tekken 8. Now I'd get behind this comparison rather than the Suicide Squad. Tekken 8 which was released on January 26th on multiple platforms managed to sell 2 million units worldwide in a month, which outpasses it's predecessor that sold 2 million in 2 month. That's a success in my books.

And for all we know and I'm speculating , FF Rebirth maybe close behind it by a small margin in the year to date charts with just 3 days of sales, on a single platform. Now that is a comperson you could have made but rather chose Suicide Squad to paint a dull picture of Ff7 Rebirth.

Given your post history, don't try to deny it and save me from the everything is in my lane bullshit.

Last edited:
Yet Sony is still expecting to sell 21M units for FY 2023 and since MS is probably at ~25M worldwide YTD, PS5 is selling like 80% of Series YTD during a slow year.

How is that bad? Especially since we know the heavy hitters for Playstation are in production.
I don't think it is bad. But I doubt the PS5 outsells the PS4. At this point, breaking 100mil is probably the goal for this generation. Playstation is doing fine

The dispute with Slimysnake was about SM2 and why it felt rushed to be released

I don't think it is bad. But I doubt the PS5 outsells the PS4. At this point, breaking 100mil is probably the goal for this generation. Playstation is doing fine

When GTA VI releases next year, PS5 will overtake PS4 launch aligned, considering PS4 never had an exclusive GTA game.

And PS5 Pro is gonna give another boost to sales, bigger than PS4 Pro did for PS4

Top Bottom