• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) October 2023: #1 Spider-Man 2 #2 Super Mario Wonder #3 AC Mirage; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, NSW #2 Units, XBS #2 Revenue

Luigi Mario

that’s crazy that Xbox is actually doing WORSE in America, everyone always says Phil can’t be blamed for the XB1 because that was Mattrick

well how about the fact that the Series was definitely Phil’s and it’s down even more?

edit: they’ve completely squandered the success they had from the 360 era and Spencer has been in charge for nearly a decade at this point, when the PS3 flopped out of the gate you saw PlayStation take accountability and people like Kutaragi depart while others then worked to turn things around, meanwhile at Xbox they’re instead failing upwards with Booty and others getting promotions throughout this cluster fuck of a generation
As much as people didn't like Mattrick’s Kinect pivot during the 7th gen, it actually gave a second wind to Xbox 360 numbers, especially in the US where it helped to keep 360’s substantial sales lead ahead of the PS3.
Maybe Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 can correct me but I think US lifetime estimates for Xbox 360 were around 44 million and only 29 million for PS3.

Last edited:

Reave

im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter
This is no time to show us how you taste Jim Ryan, sir.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looking at the upcoming releases for both consoles, I am not sure what Microsoft can do to turn things around. Crazier things like kinect being successful have happened, so I am not declaring its over just yet, but in terms of key exclusives that might turn the tide, it's not looking good for xbox.

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2025:
Doom 6
Fable

2026:
Gears 6?

Is this enough to turn the ship around? Elder Scrolls 6 is likely a 2028 game so next gen. is XS going to limp to 50 million sales just like the x1?

Sony doesnt have much going on either. They have FF7-2 next year with maybe wolverine and death stranding for 2024-2025. But TLOU3, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Horizon 3, GT8 and SSM's next game are all likely 2027-2028 titles. They better be hoping for a massive boost from GTA6 in the next couple of years.

MrA

Banned
Looking at the upcoming releases for both consoles, I am not sure what Microsoft can do to turn things around. Crazier things like kinect being successful have happened, so I am not declaring its over just yet, but in terms of key exclusives that might turn the tide, it's not looking good for xbox.

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2025:
Doom 6
Fable

2026:
Gears 6?

Is this enough to turn the ship around? Elder Scrolls 6 is likely a 2028 game so next gen. is XS going to limp to 50 million sales just like the x1?

Sony doesnt have much going on either. They have FF7-2 next year with maybe wolverine and death stranding for 2024-2025. But TLOU3, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Horizon 3, GT8 and SSM's next game are all likely 2027-2028 titles. They better be hoping for a massive boost from GTA6 in the next couple of years.
sony already has the cod/fifa/madden/gta audience ,they could stop 1st party dead and they'd be fine,
I think the xbox s will struggle to hit 50 million at this point.

Woopah

Last year was 1.33 million for both months for 2.66 million, this is unusual because December is usually much bigger than November. Another 1.3m for November would be very good and PS5 must be looking to sell 1.8m in December.
Yes that's roughly what I was thinking. Can't see it surpassing 2 million in either month, but we'll see!

the thing is that they do. The games that have the most potential are also the ones that they bungle the most.

Starfield COULD have been a genuine seller if it weren't so painfully mediocre
Halo Infinite COULD have retained its launch hype if it had more content.
Forza Motorsport COULD have been a return to form for the motorsport side of the franchise if it did both of the above.

These are the most appealing games they could have had in their lineup. Bethesda has mass appeal thanks to their RPG prowess, Halo is a household name even despite the 10 years of mismanagement, Forza was beloved as a car game even if it was not as popular as GT, they did something new with Forza in Horizon and now it's probably Xbox's most successful game (that isn't Minecraft).

They all failed because they were all shit. I don't see how people try to tie it into some inherent thing that Xbox will never succeed even if they make good games.

It's as simple as making good games. Hi-Fi Rush had people speaking good about MS for the first time in forever. That exact philosophy of quality is how they had the leg up in the 360 generation. Sega for fucks sake was literally nothing, then they came out blasing with the Genesis early 90s lineup, all because they had the games to compete with Nintendo (at least in the 16 bit era). Previous competition and previous data suggest the obvious that games are simply the main thing that get you on the map. They are not everything, but Microsoft already has everything besides game lineup covered. It's like owning a nice car in Amsterdam or Tokyo. It's nice. It has a great engine. really good comfy seats and interior. What roads can I drive it on?

Well FWIW, HiFi didn't light the charts on fire and didn't do much anything for Game Pass, even if it's a quality game (and if any Xbox game got "snubbed" for GOTY nom at the VGAs, it was HiFi IMO, not Starfield). Which just goes to show that quality games alone aren't enough; those games still have to be positioned in a way that sells/appeals to the wider market through some combination of things in the game itself and slick marketing. HiFi had zero marketing; even a one-shot CG anime episode on the popular streaming services like Netflix & Crunchyroll would've probably given it a much-needed profile boost.

I agree about MS fumbling the ball with their IP tho. As far as platform holders go, they have been the worst with it. Sega were also notoriously awful with IP retention but that was more in the case of just letting key IP stay out of the commercial market for too long (Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Vectorman etc.). They never really "ruined" any of their classic key franchises in critical ways. Meanwhile, Microsoft have done exactly that to Halo, and they've oversaturated Gears to the point of it feeling stagnant (arguably some of that could also be said for Forza Horizon). Halo went from one the premier FPS games in the industry, to a laughing stock of an also-ran, under Microsoft's direct watch.

It's extremely difficult to get people to pay attention towards your gaming brand seriously, or associate it with any legit major hits, when you fuk it up that badly with a key IP in front of everyone's eyes. You did bring up Sega in the 16-bit era tho, and it's worth pointing out that it was really Sega's marketing that did the heavy work for them against Nintendo. Most of their games didn't do the numbers of even Nintendo's more modest successes, they only really had Sonic as their big software mover sales-wise (in home console) that generation. Tho similarly to Microsoft today, Sega had a good amount of otherwise quality software released for their system. They had more of an advantage vs. current Microsoft tho, in having a strong and VERY prominent footprint in the arcade market where they were releasing cutting-edge games. Some of that bled over and helped them with console; Microsoft doesn't have any advantage of that sort these days.

DeepSpace5D

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2025:
Doom 6
Fable

2026:
Gears 6?

FFVII Rebirth, Death Stranding 2, Wolverine, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Destiny 2: The Final Shape would be a stacked 2024 for me personally.

But I have doubts about Wolverine for next year.

Edit: ok key exclusives, my bad. Disregard The Final Shape then.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

FFVII Rebirth, Death Stranding 2, Wolverine, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Destiny 2: The Final Shape would be a stacked 2024 for me personally.

But I have doubts about Wolverine for next year.

Edit: ok key exclusives, my bad. Disregard The Final Shape then.
Yh i was talking about games that sell consoles. Aside from ff7 and wolverine, i dont see anything else on the horizon until the big boys hit in 2027-2028.

So they will be relying on third party and gta, and if they have to bundle in everything in year 3 before they even hit 50 million, what will they need to do to hit 70-100 million?

DeepSpace5D

Yh i was talking about games that sell consoles. Aside from ff7 and wolverine, i dont see anything else on the horizon until the big boys hit in 2027-2028.

So they will be relying on third party and gta, and if they have to bundle in everything in year 3 before they even hit 50 million, what will they need to do to hit 70-100 million?
Some of those GaaS titles I’m sure will be out before 2027/2028 as well, like Concord and whatever else has been in the works for a while. I can’t keep up with all the projects.

I know it’s popular to shit on these types of games on Gaf, but we really haven’t seen anything about it to make any kind of assessment of its potential or quality. You just never know what becomes a hit nowadays.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'm not expecting Portal to significantly affect hardware, but I can see them getting more aggressive with pricing.
Portal could be big in Japan where handhelds are huge and fast internet is everywhere. I don’t think portal is for the west.

Sony can’t make a dedicated handheld to run ps5 games and they can’t afford to lose Japan to switch again.

onQ123

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2025:
Doom 6
Fable

2026:
Gears 6?

You do know that PlayStation don't have to release anything next year right?

When the GTA6 news hit casuals everywhere was saying " I have to get a PS5"

Woopah

Portal could be big in Japan where handhelds are huge and fast internet is everywhere. I don’t think portal is for the west.

Sony can’t make a dedicated handheld to run ps5 games and they can’t afford to lose Japan to switch again.
Playstation's issue in Japan is software, not hardware. In 2023 PS5 could sell more in Japan than what PSP managed in its third year (as long as Sony actually provides the stock).

Last edited:

demigod

Do you think consoles just stop selling because there are no system seller games? Lol. Lets tell all the car manufacturers that their cars won’t sell because its the same cars every 4 years.

Pricecuts helps. Games being cheaper helps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They never really "ruined" any of their classic key franchises in critical ways.
you can easily argue that sonic 2006 fucked up the brand image of the mascot that put them on the map, but even then they bounced back with the movie, social media marketing (before you say it, yes it proves your point) a couple of good games over the years. besides Sega like you said did not royally fuck up any of their other great games. neglect, sure. but good releases that come out from them in their other legacy ips are good.

that being said, as much as hifi was handicapped by the shadow drop it was also very special to have a profilic brand new release just show up especially after all these games with absurdly long dev times taking years after their first showing to come out.

i agree with you otherwise for the most part. infact i already did say that games arent everything. ms has everything that isnt games covered. they could easily market games with their insane supply of money.

it is especially telling when the best game xbox put out in years doesnt chart shit because its on gamepass. it does prove that day 1 gp does hinder gamesales and that is another thing xbox needs to address besides game output

Last edited:

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2025:
Doom 6
Fable

2026:
Gears 6?

SSM's next game could be earlier than 2028, assuming the team started on it shortly after GOW 2018 launched (SSM have multiple teams IIRC). But at earliest it's a 2026 release. The other PS games you mentioned are most likely 2027-2028 as you said.

However, there's still a question of marketing deals with 3P games and that's something Sony are going to have an absurdly easy time netting, though depending on where Switch 2 lands power-wise that could spice things up (i.e potentially less defacto 3P exclusives for PS5 console-wise). GTA6 marketing with PS5, for example, is going to be a massive get, especially if it doesn't have crossplay (meaning what platform you get the game on will definitely impact your online gaming pool). In that regard, MS do have COD marketing going forward and that could be rather big in its own right...but if they have more years like this one quality-wise, it won't mean shit. In fact, they'll see COD fall into irrelevance before that 10-year deal expires, begging the question what they spent $69 billion on in the first place.

That's something Microsoft absolutely cannot let happen, regardless what direction they decide to take the brand hardware-wise. If they let that happen, they're as good as dead as a serious publishing label in gaming (at least in the console gaming space).

SlimySnake

Eh. thats the kind of mentality that got MS complacent and back firmly in last place. Brand recognition is fickle among casuals. Exclusives sell consoles. Its been proven time and time again. go look at how many consoles were sold in April 2008 when GTA4 came out. less than 200k each for both.

It's no surprise that Sony continued the momentum from year 4-7 for the PS4 while the xbox one literally crawled to a halt after a strong start as we can see here. Thats when their big hitters starting coming out one after another. Horizon, GT7, GOW, Spiderman, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 while Xbox after 2016 released two forza games and one gears game, and called it a day. No third party saved them. Not even RDR2 after GTA4 and 5 both sold better on the x360.

In short, they NEED the exclusives just like nintendo and xbox. they need them every year and they need them to be huge. not quirky stuff like hifi, returnal, ratchet, or deathloop.

Last edited:

yazenov

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2024 will be rough for MS if they only have these two games as "AAA system sellers". These might be great games but they won't light the charts on fire.

If 2023 is anything to go by, 2024 will be much worse for Xbox sales wise.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Killjoy-NL

2024:
Hellblade 2
Indiana Jones?

2025:
Doom 6
Fable

2026:
Gears 6?

That list is going to do nothing.

Sony probably only has to just announce one new title from one of their main studios and they countered that entire list.

Thirty7ven

Banned
SSM's next game could be earlier than 2028, assuming the team started on it shortly after GOW 2018 launched (SSM have multiple teams IIRC). But at earliest it's a 2026 release. The other PS games you mentioned are most likely 2027-2028 as you said.

Honestly starting to feel like PlayStation studios might be mismanaged because we’ve been hearing about Sony investing heavily in them to turn them into multiple teams studios and grow them to handle multiple projects but we are seeing no fruits.

Insomniac is the only studio with a production pipeline ready to handle multiple projects. What’s happening?

Is this the same old song of PlayStation studios wanting to become multiple projects studios but then put everyone working on the same project because they tried to handle more than they could chew?

Respawn at EA works on Apex Legends and shipped out two big triple A games in a little over three years, Fallen Order in November 2019, Survivor in April 2023.

These PlayStation studios need to step it the fuck up.

As much as people didn't like Mattrick’s Kinect pivot during the 7th gen, it actually gave a second wind to Xbox 360 numbers, especially in the US where it helped to keep 360’s substantial sales lead ahead of the PS3.
Maybe Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 can correct me but I think US lifetime estimates for Xbox 360 were around 44 million and only 29 million for PS3.
Yearly and lifetime U.S sales for X360 and PS3 are in the OP, it's 43.22 million to 26.87 million.

Last edited:

PS4
2013 : 2.000.000
2014 : 4.680.000
2015 : 5.720.000
2016 (as of October) : 2.420.000
Total : 14.820.000

XB1
2013 : 1.820.000
2014 : 4.370.000
2015 : 4.930.000
2016 (as of October) : 2.214.000
Total : 13.334.000

PS5 : +9% PS4 = 16.15 million (~4.25 million for YTD 2023)
XBS : -11% XBO = 11.87 million (~2.17 million for YTD 2023)

From this info the XBS numbers were spot on but PS5 needs to be adjusted from 4.15m to 4.25m YTD and LTD from 16.05m to 16.15m

We previously got info that PS5 was +5% over PS4 in July and numbers were adjusted back then which means July YTD is correct but Aug, Sep, and Oct are 100K off.

The PS5 estimations have to be bumped up in Aug, Sep and Oct by 100K but we know September was a tiny yoy decline from 494k, so adjustments will be Aug: 360k to 400k Sep: 480k to 490k and Oct: 320k to 370k.

Credit: Evilms from InstallBase who worked the numbers out

Last edited:
Honestly starting to feel like PlayStation studios might be mismanaged because we’ve been hearing about Sony investing heavily in them to turn them into multiple teams studios and grow them to handle multiple projects but we are seeing no fruits.

Insomniac is the only studio with a production pipeline ready to handle multiple projects. What’s happening?

Is this the same old song of PlayStation studios wanting to become multiple projects studios but then put everyone working on the same project because they tried to handle more than they could chew?

Respawn at EA works on Apex Legends and shipped out two big triple A games in a little over three years, Fallen Order in November 2019, Survivor in April 2023.

These PlayStation studios need to step it the fuck up.
Insomniac and Naughty Dog are the only Sony studios capable of having two full teams. Naughty Dog obv fumbled Factions, which is why no games yet this generation. SSM reportedly has 1.5 teams. The .5 team is seemingly working on God of War DLC due out next year, while the rest are working on Corey Barlog's next project. I think it's easier said than done for studios to expand rapidly

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
2024 will be rough for MS if they only have these two games as "AAA system sellers". These might be great games but they won't light the charts on fire.

If 2023 is anything to go by, 2024 will be much worse for Xbox sales wise.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Games he listed aren't system sellers.

You guys need to understand what a system seller is before you can keep a discussion going.

series's sales decreased year over year ?
XBS is at 2.17 million after October this year and after October 2022 they were 2.81 million so yes XBS is down 640k so far.

MonthPS5XBSNSW
Jan-22369,000307,000270,000
Feb-22128,000261,000410,000
Mar-22282,000489,000540,000
Apr-22234,000267,000365,000
May-22119,000177,000270,000
Jun-22277,000260,000385,000
Jul-22301,000147,000310,000
Aug-22341,000251,000295,000
Sep-22494,00288,000325,000
Oct-22456,000261,000250,000
Nov-221,328,000730,000920,000
Dec-221,331,000942,0001,490,000
Total5,660,0004,480,0005,830,000

Last edited:

Technically true but it'd really suck from an enthusiast's POV if they had no big 1P exclusive releases for next year. That could bite them in the ass for new hardware releasing later (such as PS6). It'd give the impression that you're better off not buying into the platform early if there will be dry spells only a few years after launch.

you can easily argue that sonic 2006 fucked up the brand image of the mascot that put them on the map, but even then they bounced back with the movie, social media marketing (before you say it, yes it proves your point) a couple of good games over the years. besides Sega like you said did not royally fuck up any of their other great games. neglect, sure. but good releases that come out from them in their other legacy ips are good.

that being said, as much as hifi was handicapped by the shadow drop it was also very special to have a profilic brand new release just show up especially after all these games with absurdly long dev times taking years after their first showing to come out.

i agree with you otherwise for the most part. infact i already did say that games arent everything. ms has everything that isnt games covered. they could easily market games with their insane supply of money.

it is especially telling when the best game xbox put out in years doesnt chart shit because its on gamepass. it does prove that day 1 gp does hinder gamesales and that is another thing xbox needs to address besides game output

True among Sega's IP Sonic is the one most infamously mismanaged. However, I think that didn't do much to Sega themselves because they still had high-quality games on the market at the time and coming out around that same time. Plus as you said, they recovered from it in good time.

I think something that makes Microsoft hesitant with going big on Xbox marketing, is they are very low in how confident they'd see a return in sales revenue from that advertising. We don't know what the sales revenue or Game Pass growth (if any) from Starfield have been like, but it was their biggest marketing push in a very long time and the game dropped heavily or completely out of most sales charts around the world, very quickly.

Results like that make them very apprehensive towards splurging more heavily on advertising and marketing. It's funny you bring up social media marketing for Sonic though, because if there is one thing messaging-wise Xbox are very strong at, it's social media. I'm not talking the astroturfers (though that is a big component of it, and I obviously don't condone it or the way Microsoft's weaponized it IMO), but more so how they have Phil Spencer literally everywhere doing interviews, or the way their social media accounts galvanize the brand and interact with the fans. I feel Sony have been really weak in this area of marketing & messaging honestly, which is why so many FUD narratives against the brand take root and proliferate online in enthusiast spaces both on forums and more mainstream platforms like Twitter and Youtube.

While a lot of that has no bearing on actual market performance, it can make discourse online a pain in the ass because a lot of false takes propagate and Sony really don't do anything to try getting ahead of or controlling the narrative. Like right now there are still people speculating who Sony are going to acquire but I've checked out of that discussion, because there is zero point speculating on that when Sony themselves are so uptight and quiet about what M&A moves they're going to make outside of super-small purchases.

But it wouldn't hurt them to have more of a presence in online enthusiast spaces, instead of there being word on all these departures, or losing 'exclusivity' on various franchises associated with the platform, or the only outright strong news being sales reports. Not saying they need someone with a cult of personality like Phil Spencer at all. But, a more personable face that can communicate with the community and provide updates on what the teams are working on, do things with the community, bring back PS Experience, stuff like that.

How did Xbox, go from having the US market on lockdown during the 360 era to this.

Horrible upper management.

The other thing we noticed with Senjutsu is after he was banned from here, he dropped all pretenses of not being a console warrior, not that he hid it well here, but he took things up a notch on Twitter. For some reason Twitter is like the breeding ground of Xbox fanboyism. It's flooded with terrible takes.
When I go to Twitter I feel like the entire platform is full of Xbox fans while on the Playstation side it only has Zuby tech, Fake Jim Ryan and a few other accounts that have Playstation in the name

When I go to Twitter I feel like the entire platform is full of Xbox fans while on the Playstation side it only has Zuby tech, Fake Jim Ryan and a few other accounts that have Playstation in the name

The pure proliferation of Xbox fans on twitter is staggering. Is it because of the lack of moderation and the increased need for a "defense force?"

Yes - PlayStation only pulled ahead worldwide by being more consistent in more territories. Xbox had more than half its sales in the US back then and it's even more slanted now.

Xbox has become even more irrelevant outside of the US. They've had some gains in Japan, but the ratio between Xbox and PlayStation is huge and growing everywhere.

Technically true but it'd really suck from an enthusiast's POV if they had no big 1P exclusive releases for next year. That could bite them in the ass for new hardware releasing later (such as PS6). It'd give the impression that you're better off not buying into the platform early if there will be dry spells only a few years after launch.

PS4 era had far longer “dry spells” than PS5 until the second half of the ps4 gen

PS5 will have some dry spells but I think they will at least have 1 or 2 fairly big 1P releases each year

Yes - PlayStation only pulled ahead worldwide by being more consistent in more territories. Xbox had more than half its sales in the US back then and it's even more slanted now.

Xbox has become even more irrelevant outside of the US. They've had some gains in Japan, but the ratio between Xbox and PlayStation is huge and growing everywhere.

They haven't really made gains in Japan.

Is the XBS selling better than the X1? Yes. Is it selling better than the X360? No.

PS4 era had far longer “dry spells” than PS5 until the second half of the ps4 gen

PS5 will have some dry spells but I think they will at least have 1 or 2 fairly big 1P releases each year

They have a lot of potential with the next Ghost of Tsushima game. I really hope Sucker Punch takes things to another level with this game and it's not as lazy an iteration as the last few Sony games.

They have a lot of potential with the next Ghost of Tsushima game. I really hope Sucker Punch takes things to another level with this game and it's not as lazy an iteration as the last few Sony games.

I don’t think any of their games are “lazy” iterations

Ghost of Tsushima 2 will certainly be an iterative improvement in like with the last big Sony releases

Top Bottom