• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) September 2023: #1 Starfield #2 Mortal Kombat 1 #3 EA FC24; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, XBS #2 Units + Revenue

Woopah

Ah yes I was only thinking about totals sales not circanas trackin, even if mario sells double physical copies and digital brought them even, spideys physical Spiderman would still win on that 16% price difference
Still yesterday's software totals must have been bananas
Absolutely. We're dealing with two massive IPs that have got very strong critical reception.

Obviously the main advantage Mario has is useebase.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Starfield outsold Final Fantasy XVI year to date even though its on Gamepass and just released?

SquareEnix execs:
ea6579bc-b6e3-49ff-821b-fd20917f2c21.jpeg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Starfield outsold Final Fantasy XVI year to date even though its on Gamepass and just released?

SquareEnix execs:
ea6579bc-b6e3-49ff-821b-fd20917f2c21.jpeg

Lets see how things stack up after FFXVI gets released on PC.

Also, lets see how sales are in the long term, because its particularly the enduring popularity of previous Bethesda releases that's made them stand out from the rest.

Honestly, Bethesda sales always need to be contextualized by those of other/previous Bethesda releases if you want to judge then. In business its always about profitability then versus now, because past performance has to inform future plans and investments.

Platform/service competitive performance overall is a obviously relevant now given MS' ownership, but that's a whole other calculation and as FFXVI isn't part of that "value" metric you can't compare on that element.

Regardless of what anyone says now, the truth is going to become evident over time. I suspect SE's game will do pretty good on PC, especially as that great initial 2hour section is going to stop a lot of refunding.

Three

I was t talking the one month I was talking all of 2023 🤷🏾‍♂️
You still can't see it it seems:

"Hasn’t that been the same with PlayStation Exclusives yet, none are even in the top 20 🤷🏾‍♂️ for 2023 and they released well into the first half of this year."

Keep looking at the chart until you do.

Reallink

Lets see how things stack up after FFXVI gets released on PC.

Also, lets see how sales are in the long term, because its particularly the enduring popularity of previous Bethesda releases that's made them stand out from the rest.

Honestly, Bethesda sales always need to be contextualized by those of other/previous Bethesda releases if you want to judge then. In business its always about profitability then versus now, because past performance has to inform future plans and investments.

Platform/service competitive performance overall is a obviously relevant now given MS' ownership, but that's a whole other calculation and as FFXVI isn't part of that "value" metric you can't compare on that element.

Regardless of what anyone says now, the truth is going to become evident over time. I suspect SE's game will do pretty good on PC, especially as that great initial 2hour section is going to stop a lot of refunding.
16's not going to do especially well on PC cause it's WAY out of the Zeitgeist and hype cycle.

In 2023, console warriors still arguing about product sales of their favorite companies and their money will go to these big companies. Are you stake holders?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So Starfield already outsold RE4, FF whatever, and SF6 on the year? Surprising, especially FF whatever. Wonder if Square regrets making that one platform exclusive.
1 platform vs. 2 platforms.

This is the US market. FF is more of a Japanese-focused game than Starfield.

It should be more concerning that there is only a 4-point difference, in Xbox's and Starfield's strongest market, between a "failure" of a PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy and Xbox's biggest game this generation that launched on Xbox + PC.

Last edited:

Woopah

It should be more concerning that there is only a 4-point difference, in Xbox's and Starfield's strongest market, between a "failure" of a PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy and Xbox's biggest game this generation that launched on Xbox + PC.
There is nothing concerning about Starfield's placement after its first month.

Also "1 platform vs. 2 platforms" is exactly the point they were making.

Last edited:

Yeah I know there’s only one platform for FF. Hence my comment you quoted, “I wonder if SE regrets the one platform exclusive” 👍

The rest of your post can be explained by GamePass. It’s surprising Starfield already outsold all those games, all we heard here was that everyone would buy a PopTart for their free GamePass month and play the game that way 🤷‍♂️

Unknown?

Let them be. They have to ignore that even Phil said that Starfield can be an 11/10 game and it still wont be enough to surpass Sony in console sales. The man literally expected the very result that happened. Shit is crazy to witness....Lol
Then why did he remove it from a platform where they'd get another 10M sells? Seems like his words don't align with his actions if he truly believed that. He thought it would move more hardware.

Unknown?

Yeah I know there’s only one platform for FF. Hence my comment you quoted, “I wonder if SE regrets the one platform exclusive” 👍

The rest of your post can be explained by GamePass. It’s surprising Starfield already outsold all those games, all we heard here was that everyone would buy a PopTart for their free GamePass month and play the game that way 🤷‍♂️
We just got RE4 Remake numbers and you're acting like FF was bad.

Unknown?

He believed it would move hardware and it did.

He said he wouldn't be enough to surpass Sony in console sales, and it wasn't.
Not really, something tells me he wasnt thinking a couple 10s of thousands only for one month when he made that decision. September always has a bump over August and it barely moved more units in their #1 region. Everywhere else hardware was still down.

Last edited:

Bungie

The difference makes sense, it means tons of people are paying for gamepass on both Xbox & PC.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Then why did he remove it from a platform where they'd get another 10M sells? Seems like his words don't align with his actions if he truly believed that. He thought it would move more hardware.
Because he bought the company, genius. He found Bethesda titles were more valuable as exclusive to the Xbox platform specifically.

And....they didn't spend 7 billion to share titles with their closest competitor. That was kind of a dumb question by the way...

Woopah

Not really, something tells me he wasnt thinking a couple 10s of thousands only for one month when he made that decision. September always has a bump over August and it barely moved more units in their #1 region. Everywhere else hardware was still down.
If I remeber correctly it didn't do much in Europe, but in the US this was the first month of the year where the Xbox Series was up YoY instead of down. I'd say that's a clear impact from Starfield.

Unknown?

If I remeber correctly it didn't do much in Europe, but in the US this was the first month of the year where the Xbox Series was up YoY instead of down. I'd say that's a clear impact from Starfield.
Less than 100k in a year that's still in the negative even with this minimal bump in one region is not what he was wanting is what I'm saying.
Because he bought the company, genius. He found Bethesda titles were more valuable as exclusive to the Xbox platform specifically.

And....they didn't spend 7 billion to share titles with their closest competitor. That was kind of a dumb question by the way...
Then he severely miscalculated because it was not more valuable as an exclusive as shown by the data.

Woopah

Less than 100k in a year that's still in the negative even with this minimal bump in one region is not what he was wanting is what I'm saying.

Then he severely miscalculated because it was not more valuable as an exclusive as shown by the data.
Well we don't know what software sales or hardware/subscription impact MS wanted. It could have been more than they got yes.

Top Bottom