• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

PaulloDEC

Seeing as how there's no PC Performance thread, how's the game running for everyone?

Because with a Core i7 3820, GTX 970 and 12gb of RAM, it's running pretty rough for me. With the "lowest" preset on, I can usually stay above 60fps. Stepping up to the "low" preset sees regular drops into the 50s. On medium, I'm regularly in the 40s. I've also noticed that moving the camera around seems to tank the framerate, but it'll then stabilise when you've stopped moving.

Does all this seem normal?

Dawn shot with realisitc custom B&M hyper supports (I also added security cameras and a wind gauge post):
planetcoaster2016-11-t2ulg.png

Seeing as how there's no PC Performance thread, how's the game running for everyone?

Because with a Core i7 3820, GTX 970 and 12gb of RAM, it's running pretty rough for me. With the "lowest" preset on, I can usually stay above 60fps. Stepping up to the "low" preset sees regular drops into the 50s. On medium, I'm regularly in the 40s. I've also noticed that moving the camera around seems to tank the framerate, but it'll then stabilise when you've stopped moving.

A big park or a clean terrain?

Big park, yes, I have similar PC as yours, and I get between 130 and 40 FPS (it works depending of where you look). Its normal, and not bad at all (BTW I always play on the highest settings, lowering them does very little to the FPS as its a CPU intensive game).
If you have those framerates with a clean park, then I dont know whats wrong.

Huge ass post incoming! An update here from Atlantica World.

Before we go further I want to say again: a LOT of these buildings are from the Steam workshop from other talented users. So you can download them as well! I often edit the buildings to make them more to my taste though, its (as far as Im concerned) the ideal way to learn the diverse editing tools of this game.

Here's a pic of everything I have right now.

So I made some progress, the first part of the park, the medieval / fantasy part, is almost done! You can find the center + market of the medieval section of the park in pictures in a previous post, this is mostly on the left side of the section that was still empty a few days ago.

The haunted house behind this ride has a witch flying round the tower. I love the animatronics!

The last part of the fantasy world isn't done yet, need to fill it up still, but I love the chapels here and next to the chapels you can see a garden you can walk though leading up to a magical cave, that will take you out of the medieval section to the western section.

A shot from the garden next to the chapels leading up to the magical cave.

The chapel by night.

The entrance of the magical cave by night.

Cool treehouses in the medieval / fantasy part.

I made some adjustments on the rollercoaster in the medieval section with a nice tower in the middle, its pretty cool to go first person and to swoosh right past the building.

So going though the magical cave you end up here in the western section, next to the river ride I showed a few days ago. Important to note is that I just started at the western section, so there's still a LOT to do as far as surroundings, buildings, plant life, benches etc. go. So its just the basics for now, please keep that in mind.

Two cool rides, a very calm car ride and a minecar rollercoaster.

Western saloons and shops by night.

And one last shot of the entire park by night.

Thanks for visiting again folks! Hope you enjoyed your stay and you'll be back for more when we've expanded the park again.

fanboi

Banned
I still don't get the coaster maker.

I made a huge wooden coaster, and to be franck, quite boring, but still fear shoot through the roof.

Any tips?

Thanks for visiting again folks! Hope you enjoyed your stay and you'll be back for more when we've expanded the park again.

Wow, you've done and amazing job on the layout of the park especially the transition from the fantasy land to the western land!
Can't wait to see more and maybe one of these days I'll get around to building a park instead of just messing with the Coaster builder for hours upon hours lol.

Wow, you've done and amazing job on the layout of the park especially the transition from the fantasy land to the western land!
Can't wait to see more and maybe one of these days I'll get around to building a park instead of just messing with the Coaster builder for hours upon hours lol.

Thank you! Its always what I like best in building-games: the infastructure / layout. Thats why I havent bothered a lot with making my own coasters and scenery yet, I just love to build it in a way that it could be a real park I'd like to visit, you know. Its all about the scenery and infrastructure for me.

That's the great thing about games like this. Play it however you want!

Ranger X

I was a crazy freak of RCT2 and RCT3 never did catch me that much...
Do I have a better chance at liking this one you guys think?

hmmm... sounds like it doesn't retain the level of management that was possible in RCT2.

Its as simple as RCT2 and 1 in the level of management, RCT3 didnt worj well becuase of the bug of family groups.
This game doesnt have the same problem.
Its people saying they want more advanced management than RCT1 and 2 the ones that feel they need more.
But its true it takes the more creative approach of RCT2 and 3, just to the enxt level.

I still don't get the coaster maker.

I made a huge wooden coaster, and to be franck, quite boring, but still fear shoot through the roof.

Any tips?

Let me guess, the coaster goes too fast through the hills and helixes.

fanboi

Banned
Its as simple as RCT2 and 1 in the level of management, RCT3 didnt worj well becuase of the bug of family groups.
This game doesnt have the same problem.
Its people saying they want more advanced management than RCT1 and 2 the ones that feel they need more.
But its true it takes the more creative approach of RCT2 and 3, just to the enxt level.

Let me guess, the coaster goes too fast through the hills and helixes.

Hmm maybe?

7D253E7E9F5DE909D7E81521D973A12EE87B27D9

EDIT: Oh and fear isnt so high for that one, 9ish.

satriales

Hmm maybe?

After the first drop the track stays pretty level which means it's going to be carrying a lot of speed and seems to only ever go downhill or flat. Try turning the flat straights into uphill sections to keep the car at a reasonable speed through the corners and drops.
Try using the smooth tool to remove some of the bumps too, for example the first drop has a bump and going into the first corner. Smooth is better.

Also try using the heatmaps in the coaster builder to see where the g's are and you can tweak and change it while it is testing.

Hmm maybe?

9 is high. I've just built a 100mph, 350 foot tall launch coaster and the fear is 4. You need to use the smooth tool a lot more. The train is going over lots of little bumps at high speed which would hurt a lot. A coaster track needs to have smooth dips, hills and curves, not sudden and bumpy jolts. The bottom of your first drop, for example, has a random bump. Highlight the section of track starting from, say, half way down the drop to the first part of the straight bit, and just spam on the smooth tool until it's a single smooth curve.

Do that for all the sections with harsh transitions like that little dip at the end of the long straight after the drop; at the peak of that dip everyone will be shot into their harness at whatever high speed the coaster is doing which shouldn't happen. The train should nearly always slow down at peaks, not zoom over them at high speed, but it should be going up quite a lot as it takes the edge off the speed, and you want to be managing speed, not trying to get it constantly fast. Watching POV footage of actual coasters on YouTube can help a lot to see how they are designed.

Hmm maybe?

Yup, you never made a bunny hill so it loses speed, so its carries all the speed from the first drop until the end and it keeps adding to it.
You need bunny hills and camel backs to up the excitement and lower the fearr.

So I guess the last Planet Coaster crash killed my park for good.

PLmK35l.jpg

Try using one of the quicksaves. You have 3, each done at 15 minutes intervals if that's the last park you played.
I would also recommend multiple saves for the same park, Im saying this as someone who lost 100 hours during alpha 3.

Anyone else here going to the launch party later?

I just finished up and released my coaster last night:

Download: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800993175

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzWo_Y18-c

I watched your video and noticed something that might help you, as it's something I just learned a couple of days ago. You were holding the Shift key to move your blueprint up and down to place it. I spent a couple of days trying to place stuff right on the ground but eventually found out that if you just tap the Shift key, it will automatically align with the ground.

If you knew that already, my apologies, but it looked as if you didn't.

Awesome work. Very clean and realistic in the layout yet fun and colorful in the scenery, my favorite style of parks.

Thank you so much!

Been busy with the western part of my park tonight and finally found a way to make it more western and colorlike with lots of red stones. They will also come in handy to make a 'border' at the far side of this part of the park to make a natural transition to another theme.

See the difference in these two pics. The rocks help a lot!!

satriales

I watched your video and noticed something that might help you, as it's something I just learned a couple of days ago. You were holding the Shift key to move your blueprint up and down to place it. I spent a couple of days trying to place stuff right on the ground but eventually found out that if you just tap the Shift key, it will automatically align with the ground.

If you knew that already, my apologies, but it looked as if you didn't.
Thanks, I didn't know about that shortcut but i'm not sure if would work on my blueprint as some parts of it are supposed to be below ground and the station is raised slightly so I don't know how it would know the right height. Good tip to know though!

Normally I use advanced move anyway, not sure why I used shift in the video.

Guess it is time to say goodbye to my i5. 3570 with a 980 and it runs really bad for me :\

Man I have an i5 4690K, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970, haven't bought game as yet but I am concerned it will not run reasonably at all :( Hope there is someone here with a similar config to myself that can give me a ballpark on how it runs for them.

Man I have an i5 4690K, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970, haven't bought game as yet but I am concerned it will not run reasonably at all :( Hope there is someone here with a similar config to myself that can give me a ballpark on how it runs for them.

My hardware is very similar to yours, my CPU is a bit worse. "How it runs" depends on how complicated/populated the theme park is. 1080/60 is achievable in the early game, with occasional dips. Performance will gradually decay as you build more things/attract more people. My current park fills about 60% of the map and is full of big complicated buildings and 6000 people and I'm getting between 20-30fps. Pausing or emptying the park of people frees up about another 5-10 fps. (I'm also being inefficient and playing with Chrome open on a second monitor and a media player open).

I understand the complexity of whats being processed in real-time, heck even RCT3 can still get sluggish with a full park, so I'm generally OK with it. Seeing tiny people or a coaster train move around the track at 20fps is a lot easier to swallow than a traditional game for me; it only really annoys me when I'm riding the coasters in POV in a full/busy park.

Yeah, people who think it should be possible to get 60fps at all times like a normal game on a big super detailed park at 1080p, even with an i7 and the latest graphic card are deluding themselves. This is not that type of game, and it running at 20-30 on a super big park with 6000 guests running about is going to be the norm (and completly payable for the type of game that it is) until technology progresses.
The game is one of those long journeys where is going to be updated for years to come, if you think you are not going to be able to stomach that type of framerate when building something big, you should wait a few years (the good thing about that is that you are going to have a better PC, and probably a cheaper price and more stuff to play with when all the updates start rolling out).

Frontier is squeezing here everything they can to make the game look good and be playable for most of these type of game players. Its not the case of bad coding or lazy programming (we've got beautiful perfomance boosts on each alpha), its just that they type of game it is and the giant scope it has is just going to get modern PCs now into their knees on bigger parks.

Hawk269

A mixed bag for me. I am playing at 4k with all settings set to max. A lot of the times it stays at 60, but then it drops to the 30's or so and at times gets stuck at 30. Just riding a simple coaster it can be at 60 then drop massively then back up to 60fps. I have a 2xTitan X Pascal with a I7-3930x OC to 4.8, so not sure if I should be having such drastic performance hits. I am try lower the sampling down to see if it helps. I know it is not SLI compatible as well, so hopefully we will see that implemented.

I could drop to 1080p and it was rock solid 60, but the eye candy at 4k with all the small details they put in is something really hard to pass up.

D-Pad

Try using one of the quicksaves. You have 3, each done at 15 minutes intervals if that's the last park you played.
I would also recommend multiple saves for the same park, Im saying this as someone who lost 100 hours during alpha 3.

Had no idea there were three autosave files... Awesome! didn't lose any work either. Thanks a bunch!

Need a name for this arrow coaster. I was inspired by those big arrow loopers like Viper and Great American Scream Machine. My guests probably want more flat rides too so I think that's what I'll focus on next.

Man, I really wanted to make a park with every building custom made, but damn does it take a long fucking time to make a building. I might be missing something here, but grid building is very restrictive and separating every object and "manually" placing them takes forever.

It's fun though, but time flies and I pretty much did nothing.

This is the building that I did tonight:

j0hnnix

I've been watching DansGaming stream this and I love it.. I'm guessing it will never be ported to ps4 or xbox.

Hawk269

Had no idea there were three autosave files... Awesome! didn't lose any work either. Thanks a bunch!

Need a name for this arrow coaster. I was inspired by those big arrow loopers like Viper and Great American Scream Machine. My guests probably want more flat rides too so I think that's what I'll focus on next.

Just looking at the pictures, the top one is definitely a pretty good recreation of Viper. You did a really good job with it.

Unicorn

30ish hours on my first coaster. Working on triggers now and I'm juggling between using triggers for each item or small item sections and trying to sync it up with the coaster manually. I have one part where I'm probably better off creating a ton of triggers tied to one or two items, but I just don't want the triggers to be sloppy. Also, fuck having to trace the track. I wanted to start mid ride with my triggers since I had the idea ready, and the ride is massive.

That said. I'm so fucking happy with what's possible. It's so freeing and creative that I'm feeling limited by not having every single item imaginable at my disposal. I keep looking for unique items, but am left with generic theme items. It's a good sign that the tools are powerful that the only thing keeping me from making a legit Disney ride is the unique set pieces and models and shapes they are able to make for their rides. The triggers and controls of every aspect are there.

Tash

Man, I really wanted to make a park with every building custom made, but damn does it take a long fucking time to make a building. I might be missing something here, but grid building is very restrictive and separating every object and "manually" placing them takes forever.

It's fun though, but time flies and I pretty much did nothing.

This is the building that I did tonight:

Yeah, that is the crux with making your own buildings. I am also not getting anywhere with my own park. However, once you have a base you can easily expand from there. Just make sure to save roofs and base pieces as blueprints, too :)

With that said, I love what you did. Looks great!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been trying to build something kind of low-key and simple, real old school themed mainly like Santaland or Cedar Point but there's a real lack of simple/old school buildings. I've had to mix some western community creations with a lot of browns and foliage props.

Tash

Inventing rice fields - or at least trying to figure out if I can pull some off with a combo of terrain and using assets. Playing around with some tests atm.

kaduerf.png

Tash

They look great. I suppose those are the algae plants just top down no?

Yup, exactly, the long Seaweed pieces :)
I also tried to make a willow tree by combining the dead tree model with the single Seaweed bundle. Not sure how I feel about it yet, though.

Outside of the box thinking is fun :D

Yup, exactly, the long Seaweed pieces :)
I also tried to make a willow tree by combining the dead tree model with the single Seaweed bundle. Not sure how I feel about it yet, though.

Outside of the box thinking is fun :D

Best thing the game does, and its encouraged by Frontier when they developed this mix and match building system.

onken

My first hour impressions:
-looks and runs great
-impressive rides / feature sets
-WADS speed needs to be wayyy faster, they should basically invert the current shift behavior
-you can't move or resize your management windows which seems like a no-brainer which is really annoying because...
-you can't disable the non-stop achievement pop-ups unless you turn off the whole Steam overlay ahhhhh

Summary: Great but needs some patching on the UI bugs

Man, I really don't have the imagination I used to have back in the RCT days. My parks always seem to be boring and flat. I wish there was a random park terrain button so I could build it around that.

Making rollercoasters is so easy though. That tool is great. It's missing ramp launch coasters though, ala The Hulk.

EDIT - The UI issues I seem to have is the icon sizes for the objects. They seem to be too small.

Tash

Man, I really don't have the imagination I used to have back in the RCT days. My parks always seem to be boring and flat. I wish there was a random park terrain button so I could build it around that.

I find it much easier to add terrain around the Coasters and then fill in with props for some areas. It's great that you can build caves or mountains once you have a coaster that you are happy with. It's also a cool idea to pull up terrain and then use the "flatten to foundation (iir" to create platform like areas and elevations.

It took me a while to wrap my head around the terraforming tools other than just "oh yeah this makes hills and this makes sea beds while this smoothens and this roughens". You can do some pretty advanced stuff once you get a better feel for the different tools and sizes to use them in.

Creating height layers with water for the rice field areas was tricky but I learned quite a bit while trying to get the look right.

I am also still learning, though.

-looks and runs great
-WADS speed needs to be wayyy faster, they should basically invert the current shift behavior
-you can't move or resize your management windows which seems like a no-brainer which is really annoying because...
-you can't disable the non-stop achievement pop-ups unless you turn off the whole Steam overlay ahhhhh

I agree, the UI could really profit from QOL changes. For one I don't get why I can't move the pop-up windows to another position..
Also I still hate how my camera randomly bugs out, changes speed and all of a sudden rotates around a very big axis that seems somewhere in the back of the scenery.

Good video review:
https://youtu.be/BYcJGlf6gFU

-looks and runs great

Have you tried chaning to max speed on the config menu? I know you can because I use it to turn it down super slow when im recording a video tour.
Also I usually use "T" camera for everything (similar to first person), becuase I dont like the other that much, even when im building, in this game you need to get to the finest details and Q and E being for up and down and W to "enter" things is a god send.

I agree, the UI could really profit from QOL changes. For one I don't get why I can't move the pop-up windows to another position..
Also I still hate how my camera randomly bugs out, changes speed and all of a sudden rotates around a very big axis that seems somewhere in the back of the scenery.

Are you playing with the normal camera? That camera is crap for this game, I use everytime the FPS one you get by pressing T. The bad thing is I need to remember to press T every time I enter the game. Also zoom with the mouse button that is usually the one that makes you zoom into the back of the scenery) rarely happenes becuase you use W and S to zoom in and out instead of the mouse wheel.
Its not a bug, its just that the zoom wheel button behaves with the world axis, and that means the terrain, thats why it does that.

Tash

Are you playing with the normal camera? That camera is crap for this game, I use everytime the FPS one you get by pressing T. The bad thing is I need to remember to press T every time I enter the game. Also zoom with the mouse button that is usually the one that makes you zoom into the back of the scenery) rarely happenes becuase you use W and S to zoom in and out instead of the mouse wheel.
Its not a bug, its just that the zoom wheel button behaves with the world axis, and that means the terrain, thats why it does that.

I use both, depending on what I need but I find it easier to use the free one for custom building :/

I find it much easier to add terrain around the Coasters and then fill in with props for some areas. It's great that you can build caves or mountains once you have a coaster that you are happy with. It's also a cool idea to pull up terrain and then use the "flatten to foundation (iir" to create platform like areas and elevations.

I tried using the terrain tool in Sandbox mode before putting down anything else, but I just ended up with a hill in an area and then everywhere else was still flat. I want most of the park to be natural and then I'll cut away what I don't want. Would be great if the border went as far as the massive river on one of the park types too.

I'm sure someone will put a natural sandbox starter up on the workshop soon.

Talking of which, I'd love a sandbox editor too. All research to do, limited money etc rather than everything being unlimited and unlocked.

Yeah, that is the crux with making your own buildings. I am also not getting anywhere with my own park. However, once you have a base you can easily expand from there. Just make sure to save roofs and base pieces as blueprints, too :)

With that said, I love what you did. Looks great!

You're absolutely right, I really should have saved some different parts as blueprints and not just the entire building, gotta get on that, and thank you.

Inventing rice fields - or at least trying to figure out if I can pull some off with a combo of terrain and using assets. Playing around with some tests atm.

kaduerf.png
Looks very nice, love the atmosphere here. It does take a while to do a lot of custom stuff, but things like this make it worth it. The amount of stuff you can do is pretty impressive once you get creative.

LOL, all these awesome pictures makes me look crazy playing challenge mode.

Time to invest all my time in Sandbox mode I think.

BTW, keep it going with the pics, they are all awesome.

Tash

The ending part of my demon ride - I spent a lot of time on it already but it's still not done. All custom made buildings, walls, poles etc -.- The rice field part is the other scenic part of the ride. The rest is pretty fast with tons of fire and explosions.. I am so tempted to just totally wall in this whole thing so I can fully control the light at all times :p Also it needs a lot of smoothing and banking still. -.-

3oriNTi6nHQPJvLzsk.gif

I tried using the terrain tool in Sandbox mode before putting down anything else, but I just ended up with a hill in an area and then everywhere else was still flat. I want most of the park to be natural and then I'll cut away what I don't want. Would be great if the border went as far as the massive river on one of the park types too.

I'm sure someone will put a natural sandbox starter up on the workshop soon.

Talking of which, I'd love a sandbox editor too. All research to do, limited money etc rather than everything being unlimited and unlocked.

I am a bit confused - you can literally do anything terrain wise. Creating Mountains, Rivers, Lakes etc. What exactly are you looking for? Do you mean it's just too much work to properly build terrain?

Top Bottom