• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

Mikeside

The ending part of my demon ride - I spent a lot of time on it already but it's still not done. All custom made buildings, walls, poles etc -.- The rice field part is the other scenic part of the ride. The rest is pretty fast with tons of fire and explosions.. I am so tempted to just totally wall in this whole thing so I can fully control the light at all times :p Also it needs a lot of smoothing and banking still. -.-

3oriNTi6nHQPJvLzsk.gif

this looks cool

I'd love a POV of the whole ride

The Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is perfect for park speakers in a western area. Especially the sparse songs with just occasional whistles and faint fiddle flourishes.

Also I love riding the monorail through a completed and dense area of the park. It's amazing how real and magical and full of life it all looks and sounds. I'd love to do it in VR.

ekim

Finally got the time to play the full game.

Impressions:
- the main theme playing dynamically during the first start of the game is SOOOOOO good. I'm glad I have the Edition with the soundtrack. All the music cues so far in the game are just fantastic
- game runs way better CPU wise than the Alpha
- challenge mode is my favorite. (money constraints but no actual missions)
- game got me hooked after a few minutes

questions:
- is career mode just already finished parks with some specific missions?
- can I walk through the park manually?

onken

4 hours in and really enjoying it on sandbox. The terrain editor is super nice have just spent the last 2 hours carving out 2 huge mountains and tunneling paths through it for my first roller coaster.

e~ first person ride testing is so freaking nice in this game

Tash

The Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is perfect for park speakers in a western area. Especially the sparse songs with just occasional whistles and faint fiddle flourishes.

Also I love riding the monorail through a completed and dense area of the park. It's amazing how real and magical and full of life it all looks and sounds. I'd love to do it in VR.

is that ok copyright wise though?

Finally got the time to play the full game.

Impressions:
- the main theme playing dynamically during the first start of the game is SOOOOOO good. I'm glad I have the Edition with the soundtrack. All the music cues so far in the game are just fantastic
- game runs way better CPU wise than the Alpha
- challenge mode is my favorite. (money constraints but no actual missions)
- game got me hooked after a few minutes

questions:
- is career mode just already finished parks with some specific missions?
- can I walk through the park manually?

kinda - career starts with some built stuff but you can/have to add your own things.
kinde but not really - you can take the camera down and move that way or go into POV of one of the guests though

is that ok copyright wise though?

In what way? The custom soundtrack folder just lets you put any music file you want in the game. As long as you own the music, you're not breaking any laws. Might be a copyright issue if you make a video of your park to upload to Youtube though, I'm not sure.

I'm absolutely loving this game so far, but I just finished the last star of career mode and the achievement didn't pop. After hours and hours of tweaking coasters to satisfy the last challenge, that was a bit of a let-down. Looks like I'm not the only one.

How about that last coaster objective, though? Balancing excitement and fear was extremely delicate, combined with the 100m drop requirement making it even tougher to keep fear under control.

I am a bit confused - you can literally do anything terrain wise. Creating Mountains, Rivers, Lakes etc. What exactly are you looking for? Do you mean it's just too much work to properly build terrain?

No, the terrain tools are fine. What I mean, is that I'd like to start off a new park in Sandbox mode, with the option to have randomly generated land. Maybe have sliders for % of mountain, river, lake etc.

Starting off with a completely flat floor means it's more difficult to get a nicer, more natural looking park.

satriales

No, the terrain tools are fine. What I mean, is that I'd like to start off a new park in Sandbox mode, with the option to have randomly generated land. Maybe have sliders for % of mountain, river, lake etc.

Starting off with a completely flat floor means it's more difficult to get a nicer, more natural looking park.
You could always save your modified terain as a park and then use that as a starting template. Or download terrain parks from the workshop.

Mikeside

I'd quite like to start challenge mode with some pre-built terrain that I have to design around - it's the only thing keeping me in sandbox right now, as I'd spend millions making hills and ravines etc to make my park how I want it. If there were already some terrain features, I'd just tweak them and design my park around that

Saganator

I lost my PC in a fire last week, so I can't play anymore, but you guys are making some really cool stuff! Can't wait to get back to playing this.

Man I'm super tempted to get this game... my idea for the first park would be a western themed park based on Westworld. Obviously there would be less robots and sex, but it'll be good!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if they'll add free roam with a VR patch fi they do that. Seems kind of strange that they offer guest cam but with no looking around and completely on rails.

So during the first days of Alpha 2, I wanted to expand my old alpha 1 park with a Roman area apart of the Pirate one it already have. Just few days passed and I never conitnued the project, going directly to my Parque Warner recreation.

In my fix of the alpha 1 park (and having finished fixing everything on the pirate area), i started to tweak today the roman part. It was based on a roman camp, and im just going to tweak a little here and there, isntead of adding much more to it (probably just add one or two shops and eateries). I did fix the arrow coaster though, that had horrible rating when tested, and now has everything on green.
Here are 2 shots of the roman camp now:
planetcoaster2016-11-a9bcz.png

planetcoaster2016-11-wslhg.png

those catapults were made during alpha 2 (but tweaked to look even more like real ones with the new pieces available), and you can see one of the old tents in the first image, when we didnt have the medieval tent. Im going to leave that one as it is as a tribute of how I had to think out of the box to make them during alpha 2 lol
Also, i cant repaint the arrow track becuase it was an alpha 2 coaster, so its staying white lol

The ending part of my demon ride - I spent a lot of time on it already but it's still not done. All custom made buildings, walls, poles etc -.- The rice field part is the other scenic part of the ride. The rest is pretty fast with tons of fire and explosions.. I am so tempted to just totally wall in this whole thing so I can fully control the light at all times :p Also it needs a lot of smoothing and banking still. -.-

3oriNTi6nHQPJvLzsk.gif

Did a bit more work on my alpine area. Two good looking buildings are from the workshop.

Both of your work is amazing. Love all the asian theming your are creating Tash, and I really like hom much is shaping into a realist theme park Kabouter.

Im keeping tabs in all what people are adding here on a txt to then added it all to the creative comunity post at the end of the week, instead of adding on daily basis.

I lost my PC in a fire last week, so I can't play anymore, but you guys are making some really cool stuff! Can't wait to get back to playing this.

:( Hope everythinng is ok and you didnt lost much on the fire.

Finally made my first rollercoaster. Not that special but I think its the props that makes it cool IMO. What I really love Is the train with the smoke coming out.

Love this game.

qX2P4YV.jpg

Unicorn

Merely a tease, but I'm finally working on scenery stuff! Took me dozens of hours to complete the coaster and Now I'm setting triggers and slowly adding the scenery and theming to the coaster and the lead up to the queue.

Going for a Frontier Northwest vibe for this section of the park and taking a page from Disney with having each area have a "mountain ride"

The Argus

It took me way too long to realize that Z rotated pieces. I was wasting so much time tapping X and manually adjusting angle snap for every single object. I should really read and watch the guides. Discovery all these new shortcuts and goddamn I feel dumb.

It took me way too long to realize that Z rotated pieces. I was wasting so much time tapping X and manually adjusting angle snap for every single object. I should really read and watch the guides. Discovery all these new shortcuts and goddamn I feel dumb.

Don't be. There's some stuff that I haven't figured out yet but I bet others figured out day 1. But its sure the hell satisfying when you do figure something out or discover a cool trick that makes your ride or park look cool.

For me, it was putting the train locomotive prop and putting the smoke special effect in the chimey/smoke stack. Looks great.

HorseFD

Is this game available for Mac?
Nope, but you can use bootcamp. Just be reminded that it needs even more power to run with bootcamp.

Regarding this comment, this is inaccurate. Boot Camp is not a VM or emulation, it is a Mac booted directly into Windows and runs exactly the same as any other PC running in Windows.

Tash

Happened to me, too. I went in totally blind, didn't check out any guides and was wondering for two days why holding Z didn't work to rotate grid pieces..until I realized I needed to tab it to rotate it ones for 45 degrees..

Made this coaster station for my park today, figure I might as well upload it to the workshop.

Has some shops and toilets on the ground floor, and the queue going along an interior and exterior balcony.

That looks fantastic - love the waiting queue

Created my first full-building blueprint today! I figured I'd start with a park entrance. It was way more satisfying than I thought it'd be to get all the details just-so, and the lighting was especially fun to add. Now I've got some Disneyland area music playing in the courtyard via my lamppost speakers.

[Fantasy Park Entrance on Steam Workshop]

Edit: Added community info below

thisisalan
image.php

STEAM username: ThisIsAlan
Best Screen:
pc_fantasy_entrance_day.jpg

Workshop Items: Lamppost Speaker, Fantasy Park Entrance

Tankshell

Anywhere selling discounted Steam codes for this at the moment? I guess I should wait a few days and see if it gets discounted in a Steam Black Friday sale or something...

Arex

getting better at the stuff building already, now just need to start making something nice lol

btw, is there a way to disable the blue highlight when selecting, lets say wall piece? Right now I need to unselect the wall after picking color to see it as the blue highlight tint the piece. Kinda kills the color preview thing :p

Tash

God damnit - I am tweaking my second custom coaster but the game keeps constantly crashing..it's getting annoying..

getting better at the stuff building already, now just need to start making something nice lol

btw, is there a way to disable the blue highlight when selecting, lets say wall piece? Right now I need to unselect the wall after picking color to see it as the blue highlight tint the piece. Kinda kills the color preview thing :p

I don't think so :( but on this note: I really wish you could also get rid of the teal bright grid you get when auto tunnel for coasters is active. I can't see shit with that thing on..

Kabouter

God damnit - I am tweaking my second custom coaster but the game keeps constantly crashing..it's getting annoying..

I mainly get crashes when I've alt+tabbed (despite running borderless), but I've had one or two building coasters as well, no clue what specifically causes that. I hope they improve stability in a patch soon though.

JnFnRu

11neogafcreativecommu47uc8.png

We invite everyone at GAF that has the game to post their creations, can be screens, videos, parks or building blueprints from the Steam Workshop.

If you want to post something you can add your steam username, and I will put it here so people can add you as friends, with your avatar and links to some of your works.

Any chance of a Mac version?

That looks fantastic - love the waiting queue

Thanks :) I wish you could include paths in the blueprint. Not that it's particularly complicated for someone else to lay down, it would save some time.

When I play the game on high there comes a point when my park gets very big and complicated that it starts crashing and I've found just moving the graphics to medium fixed it. It doesn't improve performance a great deal, I think it just takes a bit of pressure off the CPU. During the beta I got about 20 crashes, and I've only had 2 since launch day though so hopefully they keep patching it like that!

Tash

Thanks :) I wish you could include paths in the blueprint though. Not that it's particularly complicated for someone else to lay down, but it would save some time.

When I play the game on high there comes a point when my park gets very big and complicated that it starts crashing and I've found just moving the graphics to medium fixed it. It doesn't improve performance a great deal, I think it just takes a bit of pressure off the CPU. During the beta I got about 20 crashes, and I've only had 2 since launch day though so hopefully they keep patching it like that!

Yeah that would be awesome with the paths, I was thinking that earlier.
I am playing on low though and I have an i7 (just recently upgraded my machine due to streaming - all is top notch except that my GPU is a GFX680 GTI which should still be quite ok though :/ Ram should be good, too.

Yeah that would be awesome with the paths, I was thinking that earlier.
I am playing on low though and I have an i7 (just recently upgraded my machine due to streaming - all is top notch except that my GPU is a GFX680 GTI which should still be quite ok though :/ Ram should be good, too.

Well then probably not the same cause as my crashes. Must be an instability somewhere. Are you always doing the same thing when it crashes?

My saved park crashed a LOT when loading. I often need to load my park a couple of times before it works. Its gotten worse now that my park is getting bigger.

Tash

hmm - I save several versions of my park - just to be sure and because SPR mentioned it. I crash during adding objects or during adjusting a custom coaster - it feels random.

Also, I don't fee like my park is so big yet. Granted I am still adding objects to the same limited area.
That gif above just made my day. I am going to dedicated tomorrow evening to find all kinds of different, horrible ways I can kill my guests..

Must be lucky, i havent had a crash in all my game time during final release and beta (130 hours)

i7 and GTX970 here.

I did had a terrain bug were my game froze but I still could do things like moving the camera, enter menu and press buttons on the UI though.

Any chance of a Mac version?

08faqo2uui.png

Is this game available for Mac?
Nope.

Maybe in the future or maybe never, nobody really knows. Years passed until RCT3 was available for mac.

I only have one question: Is VR slated for this at some stage?

I don't think they've officially stated anything. They support Elite in VR though (same engine) and experiencing your park in VR POV would be great but it's probably not a priority right now. Especially given the likely tiny audience capable of running the game at 2160x1200/90fps (and own a VR headset).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Thing that sucks is the ride test doesn't take multiple chain lifts into account when gauging excitement :-( made a wicked coaster that's all green except the lifts but nope 1 excitement and no one wants to go on the ride

Top Bottom