• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro does not seem "Pro" at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero44

Sony marketed this thing as the premium version of the ps4 but it doesn't seem premium at all. No 4k Blu ray drive, An underpowered CPU, Fake 4k, Games barely having an increase in performance and some actually having negative performance.

I mean I like the idea of a pro version but I feel like Sony skimped out on this thing and didn't fully think this all the way through. I would have paid more for something much more powerful as long as I knew that I was truly getting a premium product.

Edit: not mad at the performance per price ratio, just wish this thing was more than a marginal upgrade with limited features. Would have happily paid more for more(native 4k, 60fps, UHD blue ray player). All in all it just seems like a wasted opportunity to create a "premium" version of the ps4

Gurnlei

Can't expect much more at the price point. The only problem I have with it is the abscense of the 4K Blu Ray drive.

zma1013

I don't understand the UHD bluray drive. Xbox One S has one right? How expensive can it be to have one in the PS4?

7EDlifI.gif

Unknown?

Sony marketed this thing as the premium version of the ps4 but it doesn't seem premium at all. No 4k Blu ray drive, An underpowered CPU, Fake 4k, Games barely having an increase in performance and some actually having negative performance.

I mean I like the idea of a pro version but I feel like Sony skimped out on this thing and didn't fully think this all the way through. I would have paid more for something much more powerful as long as I knew that I was truly getting a premium product.

lol you're just regurgitating stuff you've heard on the internet. You'd have paid more? The general population sure as hell would not.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
seems like an all round bad idea. a proper storm in a pisspot.

insane how they put MS to the sword with the PS4 then just binned their whole advantage and allowed MS to occupy the high ground of a proper premium upgrade at the four year mark while they pissed about with this half step.

it's been two weeks and we've heard nothing about sales. safe to assume they're "on target" like PSVR?

I don't know, I think the increase in features/performance is about what I would expect out of a $100 upgrade, it's not like it's some crazy expensive new product it's a slight upgrade to the current hardware, expectations should be in line with that fact.

Sony marketed the system as a system capable of playing games in 4k and increased performance. For the most part, games perform better and/or have a higher resolution than Base PS4. Seems pretty 'pro' to me.

Ultimadrago

Do you have one OP?! Do ya, huh punk?! You can't have an opinion unless you own one

Yeah, I'm puzzled each time I read that rebuttal in PRO threads. Is it such an outstanding upgrade that you'd have to see it to believe it? Or are people just being overly defensive about validating their purchases?

bosseye

Given the price it seems pretty pro to me. Lovely bit of kit, pleased with mine.

The lack of a UHD drive doesn't bother me (I can see how it might others though), I stream all my film content these days, havent watched a dvd/bluray for a long long time, years probably. My kids are the only ones who use my bluray player and they don't give a fuck about 4k.

KalBalboa

Banned
Doubling the hard drive size, the extra USB on the back, faster WiFi, and improved PSVR fidelity alone are sort of worth the $100 upgrade to me. To each their own.

Yeah, I'm puzzled each time I read that rebuttal in PRO threads. Is it such an outstanding upgrade that you'd have to see it to believe it? Or are people just being overly defensive about validating their purchases?
I don't have one myself..but uh yea you kinda do have to see it. That was the whole reason a livestream to announce it wasn't a good thing

Orayn

I agree that some of the results are disappointing, but the modest price point and sticking close to the original hardware limited what they could do. Deviate much more and they would just be making a BC PS5. Some might say that would have been a wider decision, but Sony didn't see it that way.

Behlel

Underpowered CPU clocked 30% higher than the base model, more than 2x GPU power, better WiFi, 1TB stock hard drive and the majority of the game are better in performance, details and resolution.
It's a premium version of a PS4, the BD drive is for media feature not for games and they were very clear about that since the announcement of the OG PS4.

Ushay

There is something more powerful coming out, it's called Scorpio.

That being said, for the asking price the Pro is a good buy for the performance it delivers, even if it is a compromise.

The presentation was pretty underwhelming, so that was the first indicator of how Sony themselves felt about the Pro. Hopefully the devs appreciate and tune their games to the hardware well enough for it to sell as I am keen on this new console model to work.

AtlAntA

I kinda agree with op. It seems like a quick cash grab riding on the back of the succes of the og ps4. No real innovations made worthwhile imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom