• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Tech Review: Granblue Fantasy: Relink - A Striking Fantasy RPG - PS5/PS4/Pro

Go_Ly_Dow

Overall Oliver positive about the visual design. Interestingly not UE4 like first thought. Some unknown internal tech.

-PS5 Performance mode: 1080p framerate locked 60fps
-PS5 Quality mode: 2160p (full 4k) framerate locked 30fps
-PS5 graphics the same between the two
-PS4 looks very similar to PS5 but lighting has been tweaked so not as accurate, reduction in quality for some assets and textures
-PS4 1080p
-PS4 Pro 1080p, same as PS4 version so disappointing
-Some frame pacing issues, but more pronounced on PS4, seems minor on PS5

Last edited:

Bojji

This is stupid. You need 100% more power to run 30 fps game in 60FPS but this game renders in 25% of 4K when in theory it could be 50% of 4K (~1440p) in 60FPS.

In reverse in theory 1440p should be maximum for graphics mode if they only can achieve 1080p/60.

Last edited:

Filben

The art style is amazing. I'm not a fan of (most) JRPGs at all, but this looks excellent. It actually looks like many great cover arts but is actually in-game! (I remember the great art works of Bravely Default and then seeing the ingame models... urgh).

Also, did he say it's roughly a 15 hours main story? This seems manageable for me. This game really has my attention now.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is stupid. You need 100% more power to run 30 fps game in 60FPS but this game renders in 25% of 4K when in theory it could be 50% of 4K (~1440p) in 60FPS.

In reverse in theory 1440p should be maximum for graphics mode if they only can achieve 1080p/60.
Yeah a bit odd. Considering FF7 Rebirth can hit highs of 1520p whilst maintaining 60fps would think they could muster a much higher resolution here. Only real complaint otherwise all looks good. I'll pick this up later in the year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Knew it. The gulf in performance and quality modes in the demo was so huge, there's no way it wasn't that big of a drop.

killatopak

game is beautiful but I don’t understand how a PS4 game can’t run this higher than 1080 at 60fps on the PS5?

Reactions: Fbh
Whatever magic they did with the art style and game engine, it makes 1080p look great. I mean, Prince of Persia looked lower resolution than this game, and it was 4K native.

Bojji

game is beautiful but I don’t understand how a PS4 game can’t run this higher than 1080 at 60fps on the PS5?

If it can run 4K 30 it should run higher than 1080p 60. Numbers don't make any sense.

Edit: after watching the video I know the answer:

Developers are LAZY, LAZY fucking devs, you can't tell me otherwise when console that is over 2x more powerful (PS4 Pro) don't have any enhancements over standard PS4 version. Same way performance mode is 1080p on PS5, they probably didn't bother to test other resolutions.

Other than that, game looks AMAZING and I didn't even heard about it before this thread hahaha. I'm sick of Persona games currently (I completed 4 and I'm 3/4 trough royal, too much...) so this will be excellent, time to buy!

Last edited:
Yeah a bit odd. Considering FF7 Rebirth can hit highs of 1520p whilst maintaining 60fps would think they could muster a much higher resolution here. Only real complaint otherwise all looks good. I'll pick this up later in the year.
doesnt matter that much the ps5 pro will run the quality mode at 60

If it can run 4K 30 it should run higher than 1080p 60. Numbers don't make any sense.

Edit: after watching the video I know the answer:

Developers are LAZY, LAZY fucking devs, you can't tell me otherwise when console that is over 2x more powerful (PS4 Pro) don't have any enhancements over standard PS4 version. Same way performance mode is 1080p on PS5, they probably didn't bother to test other resolutions.

Other than that, game looks AMAZING and I didn't even heard about it before this thread hahaha. I'm sick of Persona games currently (I completed 4 and I'm 3/4 trough royal, too much...) so this will be excellent, time to buy!
hey about persona do they cover antinatlism and efilism in it?

Go_Ly_Dow

doesnt matter that much the ps5 pro will run the quality mode at 60
In any game where the framerate or resolution is capped, which I think is most games then I think we'll need to the developers to manually patch in these kind of boosts. Hopefully most do this.

Bojji

hey about persona do they cover antinatlism and efilism in it?

Nothing like that in Persona 4 and 5, I only played 1h of P3 do I don't know at this point.

More like shitty management forcing devs to rush things

Of course "lazy devs" is used like a meme, most of the time it's time and other things preventing some things in games. BUT this game was announced in 2016, I doubt developers thought: "we will release this game in 8 years so let's not care about console that will launch this year (2016)". They should have had Pro build from day 1 but there is NOTHING, not even better shadow resolution or LOD, it's just PS4 build. This screams laziness or not caring (at all) to me, they had more than enough time.

Bojji

This game has blurry textures . Where's the outrage?

This game has stylized textures, they aimed for anime/hand drawn aesthetic and pulled it off.

Rebirth wants to be quite realistic and PS2/PS3 quality textures don't help with that.

Skifi28

Probably one of the best examples I've seen of a lower resolution not being terrible. It actually blends nicely with the art style and reinforces the painting-like look. Having said that, it's still puzzling how they couldn't go for a higher pixel count than the base ps4....

Last edited:
Nothing like that in Persona 4 and 5, I only played 1h of P3 do I don't know at this point.

Of course "lazy devs" is used like a meme, most of the time it's time and other things preventing some things in games. BUT this game was announced in 2016, I doubt developers thought: "we will release this game in 8 years so let's not care about console that will launch this year (2016)". They should have had Pro build from day 1 but there is NOTHING, not even better shadow resolution or LOD, it's just PS4 build. This screams laziness or not caring (at all) to me, they had more than enough time.
You do know what those 2 philosophies are just to make sure right?

Bojji

You do know what those 2 philosophies are just to make sure right?

Yeah, I don't remember anything like that in P4 and P5:

Antinatalism or anti-natalism is a family of philosophical views that are critical of reproduction — they consider coming into existence as bad or deem procreation as immoral. Antinatalists thus argue that humans should abstain from having children.

I don't know much about P3 but I heard it's much darker in tone so maybe this philosophy is in it.

cripterion

In my opinion Genshin Impact looks way better while being open world and running on Unity engine.

Bizarro world where this game doesn't get trounced for it's performance/graphics on PS5 after so much dev time, and considering how non interactive the world actually is.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't remember anything like that in P4 and P5:

I don't know much about P3 but I heard it's much darker in tone so maybe this philosophy is in it.
I remember someone mentioning in the persona series there were a couple characters who indirectly cover the topic so I assume it had to be 3

unlurkified

It baffles me how they couldn’t get the game to around at least 1440p in performance mode on PS5, especially given comparable games like Tales looking so good. Who knows what the reason is but it screams laziness/incompetence. Would’ve been happy to buy the game at full price on release but am now gonna wait.

Top Bottom