• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

TheKratos

Again, did you even watch the video?

They used the Performance mode to compare with the PS4 version running on PS5, as those are both comparable 60 FPS modes.

Then there's a whole separate section comparing the Performance mode with the Fidelity mode.

After that there's a whole another section about both modes running with VRR.

Some of you guys have an irrational and unfounded hate-boner towards DF.
Some people just get instantly defensive and lose all logical thinking and understanding. They need explicit wording or disclaimers so they don't feel offended.

PeteBull

Fuck this game......give me Bloodborne remaster you motherf**ckers!
For that they would actually have to put in some srs work, but its so worth it, had 160h put in bloodborne and to this day i feel its better from ds1/2/3, artistically/visually better from elden ring too, altho its much more compact/smaller game, still true 10/10 unless some1 hates the genre .

Saber

Gold Member
Fuck this game......give me Bloodborne remaster you motherf**ckers!

Danji accept our destiny. Elden Ring is superior, theres no need for Bloodborne and neither will be ever needed. It's a classic masterpiece that should be there to be aways remembered.

twilo99

TLoU Part II Remastered PS5 is 49.99€ here
TLoU Part I PS5 is 72.99€
TLoU Remastered PS4 is 19.99€
TLoU Part II PS4 is 39.99€.

So yes, they made 5 "full" versions out of 2 games, og TLoU PS3 included.

Incredible that people pay extra for what is essentially the same game

I won't be surprised if they make a remake of the remastered version for PS5 pro.
Like who the fuck asked for this shit looks exactly like the PS4 version running at 60 FPS.
U Wana remaster shid Nd ? Remaster jak and Daxter

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Danji accept our destiny. Elden Ring is superior, theres no need for Bloodborne and neither will be ever needed. It's a classic masterpiece that should be there to be aways remembered.
I will not accept that…..don’t make me bring my ace lawyer…..
marvel-vs-capcom-marvel.gif

yamaci17

textures are same at 1440p and 4k modes. 4k simply uses higher LODs. 1440p is just blurry. rofif rofif knows this very well
anyone who claims 4k mode has upgraded textures and 1440p performance mode does not; unfollow them immediately. it means that they're unable to comprehend LOD/TAA/resolution's effect on textures

for an example, this is alan wake 2 at 4k dlss performance vs native 1440p dlaa

a clueless person seeing this kind of a difference between in a game's quality and performance mode will say "quality mode has better textures".

WRONG. it just looks more blurry. so blurry that it literally looks like a texture downgrade. TECHNICALLY game loads the very same textures.

4k quality mode just shows the textures with full clarity. they've been there all this time. unable to "pop" due to 1440p blur.

HtEQ4zE.png

qEp6sc6.png

this is why 1440p based gaming should die. I'm glad 4k 40 fps mode exists. but i wish they had a 4k output 1080p internal tsr upscaling that has 4k textures and 60 fps alongside with it.

1440p output will have blurry, non focused bad textures compared to 4k output no matter what you do. 1080p upscaled to 4K OUTPUT with tsr, fsr or dlss (doesn't matter) will always have more clarity and better LOD/texture clarity to it than native 1440p can ever hope to achieve

games like gow ragnarok spiderman upscales to 4k as much as possible. this is why they retain texture clarity between almost all modes. performance rt mode upscales to 1440p with ratchet and spiderman and you can immediately notice texture clarity downgrade. internal resolution doesn't even matter. output resolution is where the trick is at

1440p resolution output will never experience the games the way they're meant to in terms of texture clarity. it is designed this way so that 12 gb gpus can save the day. nothing more and nothing less.

and on the case of last of us part 2, it just looks like a hindsight more than anything. no point outputting to 1440p even with performance mode. i guess they just prioritized pixel counts over the actual outcome. a shame.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
textures are same at 1440p and 4k modes. 4k simply uses higher LODs. 1440p is just blurry. rofif rofif knows this very well
anyone who claims 4k mode has upgraded textures and 1440p performance mode does not; unfollow them immediately. it means that they're unable to comprehend LOD/TAA/resolution's effect on textures

for an example, this is alan wake 2 at 4k dlss performance vs native 1440p dlaa

a clueless person seeing this kind of a difference between in a game's quality and performance mode will say "quality mode has better textures".

WRONG. it just looks more blurry. so blurry that it literally looks like a texture downgrade. TECHNICALLY game loads the very same textures.

4k quality mode just shows the textures with full clarity. they've been there all this time. unable to "pop" due to 1440p TAA blur.

HtEQ4zE.png

qEp6sc6.png

this is why 1440p based gaming should die. I'm glad 4k 40 fps mode exists. but i wish they had a 4k output 1080p internal tsr upscaling that has 4k textures and 60 fps alongside with it.

1440p output will have blurry, non focused bad textures compared to 4k output no matter what you do. 1080p upscaled to 4K OUTPUT with tsr, fsr or dlss (doesn't matter) will always have more clarity and better LOD/texture clarity to it than native 1440p can ever hope to achieve

games like gow ragnarok spiderman upscales to 4k as much as possible. this is why they retain texture clarity between almost all modes. performance rt mode upscales to 1440p with ratchet and spiderman and you can immediately notice texture clarity downgrade. internal resolution doesn't even matter. output resolution is where the trick is at
That is true. I agree yeah

yamaci17

That is true. I agree yeah
yep, i mean im watchin this review;

they believe this is a texture upgrade. hugely misinformation or misinterpretation. game always had base textures that looked like the right one. there's no texture upgrade. there's no texture update. it is just 4K allowing textures to look like how they're meant to in the first place

this is the exact same thing that exists on pc last of us part 1 version

if you play at 1440p output, you get degraded textures. you only see what the texture is meant to look like at 4k/4k upscaling scenarios.

im glad last of us part 2 finally has its "4k" mode. goes to show how much 1440p/1080p of ps4 pro/ps4 took away from the game. despite that, it managed to look that good. i believe 5.5 gb buffer in the end was a limitation for them to not go full 4K with ps4 pro. one x being 12 gb vram in the end allowed rdr2 to pop

no excuse for newgen performance mode to have the 1440p output. same for last of us part 1. maybe 1440p output textures will not look jarring if you play from enough distance. up close on my monitor, difference is jarring

wVcCGPR.png

take this for an example. some people will be misled to believe that fidelity mode has better textures. I repeat: It is not the case. It is just 1440p output being blurrier and destroying precious texture detail. textures are the same, 1440p makes it blurry.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Anyone know how I purchase the rogue like mode? I go to the store it says unavailable because I own TLOU2, even though I'm on the remaster. I go into the game and don't see how to start the rogue like mode.

tommib

Anyone know how I purchase the rogue like mode? I go to the store it says unavailable because I own TLOU2, even though I'm on the remaster. I go into the game and don't see how to start the rogue like mode.
You need to wait for release day. Then you’ll be able to upgrade.

Wasting time and resource remastering an early game... and not even make changes to be called 'remaster'.
Here we have TLOUS fanboys. You guys totally deserve this clown edition.

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF
You do understand that they do this not only for some extra development funding, but for their newer devs to get more practice on their graphics engine systems in order to be sufficient on new titles.

I'll happily give them $10 for this.

yamaci17

You do understand that they do this not only for some extra development funding, but for their newer devs to get more practice on their graphics engine systems in order to be sufficient on new titles.

I'll happily give them $10 for this.
funny enough if people did some actual work for the amount of time they complained about the 10 bucks upgrade, they'd probably earn more than that

i like ND so I will support them. dualsense implementation alone would be worthwhile for me

Last edited:

yamaci17

Seriously though it should just run at 4K 60fps minimum without any changes to the code.
it can't

ps5 roughly has 2.5x to 3x gpu power (just measuring rx 470 versus 6600xt/6700xt in this instance, and i'm not even giving the ps5 the worst case scenario here) it is not even 3x exactly. it is somewhere between the middle

the game ran at 1440p/30 on base ps4 pro, prolly pushed 36-40 fps avg. uncapped

Non bandwidth constrained 6800xt drops from 68 fps to 40 fps from 1440p to 4k in tlou part 1 (similar engines)

you need 1.7x power to INCREASE the resolution from 1440p to 4K alone in their engine (based on how the game scales for a high bandwidth RDNA2 gpu from 1440p to 4K)

then you need another 2x power to DOUBLE the fps at that increased resolution

so you need around 3.4x the power to hold the same stability in a potential 4k 60 fps mode. ps5 barely! pushes 3x GPU power over PS4 pro. that is often overlooked

Last edited:
Wrong:

If you start the game with 120Hz output toggled to automatic and VRR off in the PS5 settings and enable the unlocked toggle in the game settings, the game will attempt to render at 4K 40fps rather than the usual 30fps. This mode actually does a pretty good job of hitting 40fps in typical play, with most gameplay hugging the 40fps line. Certain alpha effects - particularly those from infected enemies - can tank the frame-rate a bit at close range, and the water seems to hurt performance sometimes as well, but in general play those issues don't pop up very much. It's definitely a better experience than the fidelity mode at 30fps.

If you enable both 120Hz and VRR, you can play both modes with a truly unlocked frame-rate, smoothed out with variable refresh. The performance mode typically seems to run around 75fps to 100fps, while the fidelity mode seems to run around 40fps to 60fps. Both modes appear to have identical visual settings to their 60Hz counterparts, too. In a game like this without dynamic resolution, I think enabling VRR makes a lot of sense as there's usually quite a bit of performance headroom that goes unused otherwise.
Kinda offtopic, but when you said 'wrong' in your reply I just imagined this scene from Terminator. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

terrminator-wrong.gif

Ar¢tos

I won't be surprised if they make a remake of the remastered version for PS5 pro.
Like who the fuck asked for this shit looks exactly like the PS4 version running at 60 FPS.
They will be busy with the ps5 pro patch for TLOU 1&2 and start working on the PS6 version for both right after. No time for new games from them this gen.
TLOU 1&2 will be milked for decades.

Sony's never gonna let them make huge changes like adding RT when the console version doesn't.

Horizon FW would do great with path-tracing or other RT enhancements on PC, but the PC version won't have that. Sony wouldn't want the console version to get *that* outshown.
I think it’s just laziness if anything

Like Fake said, its likely an engine limitation. Uncharted 4 had the same issue. topped out around 45 fps. We are seeing the same thing here. The PS5 has enough juice to push to 4k 60 fps in death stranding with only rare drops to mid 50s during effects heavy boss battles.

To take a 1080p 30 fps game to 4k 60 fps you need 8x more GPU power plus a CPU that can keep up and enough vram to feed the 4k buffer. With the IPC gains, the PS5 has just about enough gpu power to get there but you are seeing roughly a 10-20% performance delta as it sits around 45-50 fps most of the time. Some last gen games just have these overheads we cant quite pinpoint without looking at the actual GPU/CPU profiles.
Uncharted doesn’t top at 45 it can go to 60 in closed in caves or looking at the sky 45-50 is just the average

Like Fake said, its likely an engine limitation. Uncharted 4 had the same issue. topped out around 45 fps. We are seeing the same thing here. The PS5 has enough juice to push to 4k 60 fps in death stranding with only rare drops to mid 50s during effects heavy boss battles.

To take a 1080p 30 fps game to 4k 60 fps you need 8x more GPU power plus a CPU that can keep up and enough vram to feed the 4k buffer. With the IPC gains, the PS5 has just about enough gpu power to get there but you are seeing roughly a 10-20% performance delta as it sits around 45-50 fps most of the time. Some last gen games just have these overheads we cant quite pinpoint without looking at the actual GPU/CPU profiles.
Uncharted doesn’t top at 45 it can go to 60 in closed in caves or looking at the sky 45-50 is just the average

It's not laziness, it's just that there's no incentive money wise to do so. Adding RT or PT to a PC port would not move substantially more copies to justify the extra development costs. These are corporations, in the end it all comes down to money.
not if it can be backported to the pro

Wanted to get Five Guys for lunch today, and this is what the order came to. $21. of course fuck that, im gonna get me a $5 burger from mcdonalds but people are really weird about paying for shit. I bet its the Napster in us. We were all pirates back in the day torrenting games, music and movies in our teens, but i grew out of that when i turned 16 and started earning money. Even at $5.80 an hour minimum wage, i was able to afford ANY $50 PS2 game i wanted. Now kids in mcdonalds are getting paid $15 an hour and bitching about $10 DLCs which is basically what this is. I have put in almost 100 hours into GOW Valhalla, they gave it away for free, but i wouldnt have minded paying $20 for it which is basically what most DLCs go for. TLOU2's combat is sublime and while ND isnt as talented as SSM when it comes to level design, the combat design alone should warrant at least 10-20 hours. Compare that to a chicken bowl at chipotle which costs $10 nowadays or even a mcdonalds combo which also costs $10, and its obvious that when it comes to entertainment, gaming is an incredibly cheap proposition.

k1g8shJ.jpg
Fuck Five Guys. That's all.

Senua

TLoU Part II Remastered PS5 is 49.99€ here
TLoU Part I PS5 is 72.99€
TLoU Remastered PS4 is 19.99€
TLoU Part II PS4 is 39.99€.

So yes, they made 5 "full" versions out of 2 games, og TLoU PS3 included.
Not far from Bethesda standards

Kerotan

The fidelity unlocked VRR mode is basically made for the PS5 bro coming this year. That will be glorious as it already hits about 45FPS on ps5.

sigrad

Can't believe Sony has the balls to charge for this. Not console warring here, but Xbox did almost the exact same thing with Gears 5 and it was free. Actually Gears 5 was upscaled to native 4k/60fps reduced load times, quick resume, 120 FPS in Versus, and variable refresh rate . TLoU2 "Remastered" can only go up to 1440p/60fps and costs $10, if you own TLoU2.

Last edited:

solidus12

Can't believe Sony has the balls to charge for this. Not console warring here, but Xbox did almost the exact same thing with Gears 5 and it was free. Actually Gears 5 was upscaled to native 4k/60fps reduced load times, quick resume, 120 FPS in Versus, and variable refresh rate . TLoU2 "Remastered" can only go up to 1440p/60fps and costs $10, if you own TLoU2.
Yeah yeah Xbox is winning blah blah blah

eNT1TY

Is this the least remastered remaster that has ever been remastered? I guarantee someone can post unlabelled side by side shots an most couldn't tell the difference.

Justin9mm

$10 to bring it to native PS5, with fidelity option running 4K with 120hz unlocked VRR. Performance while same as Pro, on 120hz runs like 75-100fps with unlocked VRR. Extra game modes and some playable previously deleted DLC. Yeah maybe they shouldn't of technically called it a remaster. But the fidelity mode is esentially remastered by definition. What is included is well worth $10 upgrade. I understand price gouging and profit greed but this is not it. If you knew anything about what's going on in the industry, you would know that there were various reasons for this version, ND got a whole new team of new people that used this as experience for their next IP. Sony also wanted both games to sit on the current PS5 in line with the TV show. Fans actually wanted a native PS5 version with options. This is also marketed for new players on the PS5 which probably wouldn't of picked up the PS4 copy. Believe it or not, the PS4 labelling to casual gamers would not help sales. Get a fucking clue. Quit the trolling and GTFO. The whinging and complaining and ignorance is rife. People like you with your shitty negative drive by comments are part of what's wrong in the gaming community. Unfortunately it's not free for previous owners which would be nice but don't act like it's some huge rip off, upgrading for $10 is as fair as it gets as far as charging for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom