• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Rise of The Ronin: PS5 Tech Review - A Superb Action RPG... But Can It Sustain 60FPS?

Draugoth

Gold Member

• 00:00 Sponsored by MSI QD OLED
  • 00:36 Introduction
  • 03:06 Visual Features
  • 06:14 PS5 Performance vs Graphics vs Ray Tracing Mode Comparisons
  • 10:13 Performance Mode FPS Test
  • 11:43 Graphics Mode FPS Test
  • 15:10 Ray Tracing Mode FPS Test
  • 15:32 Analysis and Conclusion

Features:
- 3 Modes (Perf, Graphics, RT)
- Open world is 'perhaps less polished' (when compared to games like Tsushima)
- Good use of volumetrics. Specific areas use RT reflections when RT mode is used, but effect is very limited, SSR on larger bodies and interiors.
- Asset pop-in is 'quiet visible' with things drawing in very close to the camera, all modes have it.
- Game has low anisotropic filtering
- The game has a 'very last gen look', there are issues with the frame rate regardless of mode too.

Visuals:
- DF recommends sticking to the Performance mode from the get-go.
- Graphics and RT mode have optional 30 FPS cap but it causes bad frame pacing
- ll cut-scenes run at 30 FPS with bad frame pacing regardless of which mode is chosen
- Aside from resolution difference, all 3 modes generally run the same settings (Graphics have higher quality SSR)

- Graphics mode typically runs at 1152p, RT at 1008p, Perf mode generally runs at 936p

- RT mode adds reflections to limited surfaces, most places use SSR fallback, butt he SSR is lower quality than either Perf or Graphics mode. Graphics mode has the best SSR quality
- No RTAO, GI etc.

Performance:
- Performance mode has drops to low/mid 50s in opening areas, but be braced for sustained drops as low as 45~ when traversing.
- Graphics mode with the 30 FPS lock generally runs fine but with bad frame pacing
- Unlocked graphics runs between 40 to 60, generally it hovers around 45 with lows of mid 30s.
- RT mode falls between the two, slightly above Graphics. When hitting areas with RT reflections, it drops to mid 30s (lower than Graphics)

- In 3 way split, and without any RT surfaces in open outdoors, RT mode can come close to the Performance mode.
- In cities, RT mode matches or even drops below Graphics mode.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's team Ninja.
Always expect a game that looks a gen behind....and somehow runs like shit too.

You mean the game that performs significantly better on PS4 Pro than PS4 and looks even better on PS5? Not sure what your point was here.

I think the point is that when other devs can make similar games that basically look a gen ahead of this AND run at a higher resolution AND have better framerate, the problem is more on the dev/engine side than a lack of power from the console.

That said, this sort of shit isn't going to improve. So we DO need a Ps5 pro that can simply brute force better performance out of shitty unoptimized games/engines.

Last edited:
You mean the game that performs significantly better on PS4 Pro than PS4 and looks even better on PS5? Not sure what your point was here.
Oh right sorry, I didn't realise everything needed to be spoon fed to you...

Ghosts of Tsushima looks much better than this game on PS5 and runs better, indicating that it likely isn't the hardware that's the problem. Possibly an unoptimised engine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Features:
- 3 Modes (Perf, Graphics, RT)
- Open world is 'perhaps less polished' (when compared to games like Tsushima)
- Good use of volumetrics. Specific areas use RT reflections when RT mode is used, but effect is very limited, SSR on larger bodies and interiors.
- Asset pop-in is 'quiet visible' with things drawing in very close to the camera, all modes have it.
- Game has low anisotropic filtering
- The game has a 'very last gen look', there are issues with the frame rate regardless of mode too.

Visuals:
- DF recommends sticking to the Performance mode from the get-go.
- Graphics and RT mode have optional 30 FPS cap but it causes bad frame pacing
- ll cut-scenes run at 30 FPS with bad frame pacing regardless of which mode is chosen
- Aside from resolution difference, all 3 modes generally run the same settings (Graphics have higher quality SSR)

- Graphics mode typically runs at 1152p, RT at 1008p, Perf mode generally runs at 936p

- RT mode adds reflections to limited surfaces, most places use SSR fallback, butt he SSR is lower quality than either Perf or Graphics mode. Graphics mode has the best SSR quality
- No RTAO, GI etc.

Performance:
- Performance mode has drops to low/mid 50s in opening areas, but be braced for sustained drops as low as 45~ when traversing.
- Graphics mode with the 30 FPS lock generally runs fine but with bad frame pacing
- Unlocked graphics runs between 40 to 60, generally it hovers around 45 with lows of mid 30s.
- RT mode falls between the two, slightly above Graphics. When hitting areas with RT reflections, it drops to mid 30s (lower than Graphics)

- In 3 way split, and without any RT surfaces in open outdoors, RT mode can come close to the Performance mode.
- In cities, RT mode matches or even drops below Graphics mode.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Please just try playing the game or watch more footage before you write it off based on visuals alone.

The game looks great when it wants to. It is absolutely a sum of it's parts rather than any specific thing. Performance issues are negligible unless you're an autist with that sort of thing.

Maybe this is the absolute best that Team Ninja can do with their engine and an open world game? Not trying to make excuses but after spending 20+ hours in the game, it's simply fun to play and has a great vibe. That's all I ever really want from a game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's actually 900p for the Performance mode and 936p for the RT mode.

I think he said it generally hangs around that in the video. Looking at the article this is what it says:

The graphics mode normally hits 1152p, the RT mode manages 810p to 900p and the performance mode is often 936p

Put in 16 hours into performance mode and a couple in RT with FPS cap off. Sure it drops and dips in heavy congested or geometry dense areas like city building areas. The game could've used for additional optimization, feels a little disappointing considering how well Nioh games ran on PS5 offering plethora of graphical modes with sweet spots on resolution and frame rate. Rise of The Ronin is easily the best looking Team Ninja game surpassing Nioh series and WoLong. Loved Nioh series (Put in over 300 hours and platinumed Nioh2) and WoLong (platinumed), thoroughly hooked with Rise as well.

The frame rate/limit frame rate to 30fps feels horrendous across graphics and RT mode no thanks to bad frame pacing. It gives you the feel the game is running at single digit frames when you pan the camera, oof.

Last edited:
Please just try playing the game or watch more footage before you write it off based on visuals alone.

The game looks great when it wants to. It is absolutely a sum of it's parts rather than any specific thing. Performance issues are negligible unless you're an autist with that sort of thing.

Maybe this is the absolute best that Team Ninja can do with their engine and an open world game? Not trying to make excuses but after spending 20+ hours in the game, it's simply fun to play and has a great vibe. That's all I ever really want from a game.

You’re making me want to grab this

I’m wondering if I should wait for ps5 pro though

Oh right sorry, I didn't realise everything needed to be spoon fed to you...

Ghosts of Tsushima looks much better than this game on PS5 and runs better, indicating that it likely isn't the hardware that's the problem. Possibly an unoptimised engine.

Seems like my very clear statement still went over your head.

I don't care if its unoptimized. It's still going to look and play better on PS5 Pro than it does on PS5. There are always going to be unoptimized games. If a system exists that will allow them to be better enjoyed, I'm down for that.

I was about to literally post the same and you've echoed my thoughts (big Team Ninja fan here). The game is pretty much Nioh open world with way more depth and nuance to the parry mechanics introduced in WoLong.

Last edited:

Metnut

I’m likely in the minority but don’t really care about fps so long as 30+. Asset pop-in however, drives me nuts and kills immersion.

I think this game is something I’ll enjoy a lot more than the reviews indicate but my backlog is too crowded to dig into this for a while.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You’re making me want to grab this

I’m wondering if I should wait for ps5 pro though
I appreciate that. I've said it in other Ronin threads but I am definitely not the person to gauge open world titles because I usually dislike them immensely. Same with grading Team Ninja combat because I can't remember the last time I played one of their games. So please take that into account when it comes to my thoughts on the game. My enjoyment could largely be stemmed in ignorance, lol.

Like I mentioned though, it's just fun to play and I'm really surprised at how much it has engaged me. I can see others maybe hating it or finding it boring but it's not a bad game by any means and I will stand by that. It's also not a perfect game either but the issues I have aren't related to visuals or performance. I think most of the scores are completely fair, I just feel like people are giving way too much weight to the visuals. Gamers shouldn't write it off because of the visuals alone, that seems so silly to me knowing what the game actually plays like.

Jose92

[Membe
Around 1080p and people wonder why we need a ps5 pro.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

fart town usa

Gold Member
Picture yourself running/gliding/galloping through the Japanese countryside. You're petting cats, dogs, restoring public order by crushing bandit camps, praying at shrines. Finding weapons and gear like crazy. You link up with your buddies and give them gifts. Yea the graphics look real goofy at times but at other times the light hits just right and you find yourself in a stylized painting of sorts.

DrL631C.jpg

0thSdn2.jpg

All the while, this music is playing in the background.

What you're playing isn't a hyper-cinematic masterpiece, what you're playing is a videogame through and through and a damn fun one at that.

Seems like my very clear statement still went over your head.

I don't care if its unoptimized. It's still going to look and play better on PS5 Pro than it does on PS5. There are always going to be unoptimized games. If a system exists that will allow them to be better enjoyed, I'm down for that.
Your original comment said that people wonder why PS5 Pro is needed. In this specific case it seems like this is likely on the developers engine rather than the PS5 hardware. Especially when you take into account that Ghosts of Tsushima looks and runs better on PS5 hardware than Rise of the Ronin.

You obviously do care if it's not optimised, because you're willing to purchase better hardware to enjoy the game the way it should have been originally developed. If you want to buy an upgraded console to get better graphics and performance then fine, more power to you. That's not an excuse for poor optimisation or development though.

Top Bottom