• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Stellar Blade Demo - PS5 First Impressions - Every Mode Tested!

Crayon

If "the human eye cannot see more than 30fps" was a big meme, I feel like an actually true contender could be "the human eye cannot see more than 1080p from a normal viewing distance".

A big hubbub is made about the low-resolution of console games, but let's face the facts: the average TV size only finally exceeded 50-inches in 2023. In terms of viewing distances, I have no idea how to get data on what's typical, but the recommended distance for a 50-60 inches is a mere 2 meters.

Yet, almost every home I have been in and in any given online video of people's setups, the TV is typically many meters away from the couch. If you sit even 3 metres away rather than 2, are you really going to have a 98" screen appropriate for that distance? Fuck no you aren't. And yet, that is what the recommendation from THX would be (3 meters = 118 inches, x 0.835 as per their calculations = 98.53 inches). Now think about all the people sitting even further away:

I wonder if the 'rich people' who own this living room would be able to even tell the difference between 720p and 4K from that distance!

I came to the realization that a lot of resolution analysis is educational but also is just mental masturbation for most use cases. It's splitting hairs. On paper, a 200-400p difference might sound gigantic, but who is really going to notice the difference? I'll make a big exception for PC gaming and monitors, as these are under a meter away from our eyes. But for an average sized 4K TV at an average distance in a average living room, viewed by a person with average vision? You're going to need to take a Pepsi challenge to actually tell the difference.

We have our couch scooted up as far as it could without getting silly and still just got to 10 feet from a 55". I'm getting an easily noticeable difference from performance and balanced.

But soooooo many people are too far from their screens. That's what's nice about monitors, even for console gaming. It's so much more practical to get to optimal distance from a monitor.

GymWolf

You mean compared to 30fps mode?
No i mean in general and compared to other games with a 60 fps mode like horizon or ragnarock or spiderman 2, it looked a bit softer and without 60 frames locked, but i could be wrong, it has been a while since i played these games.
Not bad tho, i also saw worse.

The thing is, i play almost exclusively on pc at 4k so my sensibility for low res is higher than some other people (not a brag).

Last edited:

King Dazzar

This gen is weird I swear.

How did arkham knight on UE3 look better than most of this gens UE4 titles....
Yep. I'm just replaying Horizon Zero Dawn, which is a PS4 game, with a PS5 fps boost. And it looks and performs better than many current gen releases and with superb HDR too. Strange times.

I thought Stellar Blade demo looked fine, but not amazing by any means. Loved the opening scene set in space though...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This gen is weird I swear.

How did arkham knight on UE3 look better than most of this gens UE4 titles....

Very strong art and that game was done in a single lighting environment. Generally neon/rain soaked night areas look a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

You can see that very prominently in both FFVII Remake and Rebirth. The night areas in those games look almost a generation better than the day time areas because it's lit in ways to hide the lower-quality assets and not over-exposing them.

What in the holy mother of God is going on in this photo?! Lol, that can't be real.....right?
Oh no. It's real. Alex Battalgia does all sort of softcore fetish photoshoots. A bunch are on his personal Instagram, which makes his constant whining about sexuality in gaming all the more annoying. It's fine for him to flaunt his sexuality, but straight guys aren't allowed to enjoy looking at the female form.

Last edited:

Bojji

If "the human eye cannot see more than 30fps" was a big meme, I feel like an actually true contender could be "the human eye cannot see more than 1080p from a normal viewing distance".

A big hubbub is made about the low-resolution of console games, but let's face the facts: the average TV size only finally exceeded 50-inches in 2023. In terms of viewing distances, I have no idea how to get data on what's typical, but the recommended distance for a 50-60 inches is a mere 2 meters.

Yet, almost every home I have been in and in any given online video of people's setups, the TV is typically many meters away from the couch. If you sit even 3 metres away rather than 2, are you really going to have a 98" screen appropriate for that distance? Fuck no you aren't. And yet, that is what the recommendation from THX would be (3 meters = 118 inches, x 0.835 as per their calculations = 98.53 inches). Now think about all the people sitting even further away:

I wonder if the 'rich people' who own this living room would be able to even tell the difference between 720p and 4K from that distance!

I came to the realization that a lot of resolution analysis is educational but also is just mental masturbation for most use cases. It's splitting hairs. On paper, a 200-400p difference might sound gigantic, but who is really going to notice the difference? I'll make a big exception for PC gaming and monitors, as these are under a meter away from our eyes. But for an average sized 4K TV at an average distance in a average living room, viewed by a person with average vision? You're going to need to take a Pepsi challenge to actually tell the difference.

I sit (on armchair) exactly 1.6m from my 55 inch tv that is used for PC and PS5 gaming. Resolution differences are super obvious from that distance but games are also very immersive with screen that large.

Watching movies from ~3m and there is not much difference between 4k and 1080p ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr.Phoenix

I sit (on armchair) exactly 1.6m from my 55 inch tv that is used for PC and PS5 gaming. Resolution differences are super obvious from that distance but games are also very immersive with screen that large.

Watching movies from ~3m and there is not much difference between 4k and 1080p ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe I am just blind or something, but I game on two displays depending on where I am at at the time. Either on a 120" UST laser projector screen (living room), or a 65inch Mini LED 120hz Sony... bedroom (I have only one PS5 that I shuttle between rooms depending on where I am going to be doing the majority of the gaming). Living room I am about 10ft+ away, bedroom I am about 6ft+/- away (gaming PC and monitor set up is there, 65in TV mounted on a wall to the side of it, so from the PC seat I adjust to around the above-mentioned distance from the TV). I also use the TV for my PC gaming, only use the PC monitor for browsing and work-type stuff... oh and GAF when I want to game and argue about PS5pro simultaneously.

I don't notice most of these things people talk about, in some cases and with some games its really bad and obvious, and in those cases then yeah, I notice them. The only thing I notice like a sore thumb is the framerate. Especially when trying to move the camera around.

And I have 20-20 visison.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Oh no. It's real. Alex Battalgia does all sort of softcore fetish photoshoots. A bunch are on his personal Instagram, which makes his constant whining about sexuality in gaming all the more annoying. It's fine for him to flaunt his sexuality, but straight guys aren't allowed to enjoy looking at the female form.
This really makes the blatant hypocrisy all the more confusing. I've always assumed he's gay for obvious reasons, no idea if I'm right or not and I wouldn't care either way as I'm not homophobic, but here's the reason I bring that up: Would he still consider the design problematic if it was a very sexualized male character?

Top Bottom