• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry The PS5 GPU in PC Form? Radeon RX 6700 In-Depth - Console Equivalent PC Performance?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Summary coming later.

• TLOU Part I at 4K/PS5 settings sees the PS5 average 36.2fps vs 27.9 on the RX 6700 a 30% advantage
  • That differences can balloon up to 43% in brief sequences
  • RX 6700 is VRAM-limited and Rich had to set texture streaming down to Fast from Fastest to go below the VRAM limit
  • Frontiers of Pandora has the RX 6700 around 10% ahead of the PS5 in Performance Mode
  • RTX 4060 is almost 19% faster than the PS5
  • RTX 2070S is 3% ahead of the PS5
  • RTX 3060 has 88% of the PS5's performance
  • Alan Wake 2 is 6% faster on the PS5 in Quality Mode
  • The RX 6700 is 11% faster than the PS5 in Performance Mode
  • RTX 4060 is 6% faster than the PS5 in Quality Mode, 7% in Performance Mode
  • RTX 2070S is equal to the PS5 in Quality Mode
  • RTX 3060 has 92% of the PS5's performance in Quality Mode. 96% in Performance Mode
  • Hitman 2 on the RX 6700 is 44% faster than on PS5 in RT Mode
  • Monster Hunter Rise has the RX 6700 outperform the PS5 by 32% in the 4K Mode
  • 6700 is 30% faster in the 2700p Mode
  • Cyberpunk 2077 RT Mode sees the PS5 pulling ahead of the RX 6700 by 45% in a GPU-limited scene
  • In Performance Mode, the RX 6700 using the same DRS windows as the PS5 is locked to 60fps whereas the PS5 can drop down to the low 40s
  • Rich suspects that DRS on PS5 is not working properly and too slow to respond, as evidence by the fps jumping from 51fps to 60fps in the same area
  • RX 6700 without DRS has performance in-line with PS5 with DRS
  • A Plague Tale Requiem has them both average 36.5fps
  • RTX 2070S has 97.5% of the PS5's performance
  • RTX 4060 has 94% of the PS5's performance
  • RTX 3060 has 83% of the PS5's performance
  • Overall, the RX 6700 and PS5 are often a close match, with the RX 6700 typically pulling slightly ahead
  • System: i9-13900K+32GB DDR5 6000 MT/s

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What's Richard Leadbetter's obsession with these GPU to console comparisons? He keeps doing them and they're completely useless.
No they are not. Ive been begging them to do this.

its a nerdy discussion about graphics, console hardware vs equivalent Pc specs. its literally why digital foundry exists.

now if the new york times was doing this analysis, id agree it would be pointless.

Wooxsvan

Considering how stupid some of their previous PC to Console comparisons were, this one actually makes some sense.
ya exactly. normally people online and even on these comparisons generalize "PC" as if everyone has the $1500 version. comparisons that actually show more similar hardware are far more interesting

Imtjnotu

SonyGaf trigger alert...DefCon 1

DF hate missiles incoming!
Not Funny Lol GIF by WWE

Gaiff

One thing I find very interesting is Cyberpunk's performance in RT/Quality mode on PS5.

It completely crumbles on the 6700 at 18fps but manages 27-28fps on the PS5 in the same sequence. The other NVIDIA cards, namely the 3060, 2070S, and 4060 are all between 24 to 28fps, with the 4060 leading the fray but that's just 1fps ahead of the PS5. They also scrutinized the quality of the ray traced shadows and couldn't find it looked any worse/different on PS5.

This might hint that the problem with AMD's RT in that game isn't the hardware so much as it is the implementation and DRX, which a developer referred to as a "black box", whereas the PS5's API seems to be a lot more flexible in regards to ray tracing. The PS5 getting 27-28fps in that sequence isn't unusual. The 6700 getting a paltry 18-19fps, is.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Richard makes the observation that PS5 does slightly better at 4k while the 6700 has a lead at the 60fps modes (at 06:30 mark). This makes sense, the PS5 has the advantage of higher memory bandwidth while the 6700 relies on Infinity Cache which as AMD themselves pointed out has a larger miss rate at higher resolutions.

Last edited:

MikeM

One thing I find very interesting is Cyberpunk's performance in RT/Quality mode on PS5.

It completely crumbles on the 6700 at 18fps but manages 27-28fps on the PS5 in the same sequence. The other NVIDIA cards, namely the 3060, 2070S, and 4060 are all between 24 to 28fps, with the 4060 leading the fray but that's just 1fps ahead of the PS5. They also scrutinized the quality of the ray traced shadows and couldn't find it looked any worse/different on PS5.

This might hint that the problem with AMD's RT in that game isn't the hardware so much as it is the implementation and DRX, which a developer referred to as a "black box", whereas the PS5's API seems to be a lot more flexible in regards to ray tracing. The PS5 getting 27-28fps in that sequence isn't unusual. The 6700 getting a paltry 18-19fps is.
Yeah noticed that too. Perhaps PS5’s RT is RDNA 2.5? Lulz

Gaiff

Richard makes the observation that PS5 does slightly better at 4k while the 6700 has a lead at the 60fps modes (at 06:30 mark). This makes sense, the PS5 has the advantage of higher memory bandwidth while the 6700 relies on Infinity Cache which as AMD themselves pointed out has a larger miss rate at higher resolutions.
One thing that irks me is that he didn't even mention the rest of the system's specs. In Monster Hunter and Hitman, the 6700 has a massive lead at higher FPS. I'd usually chalk this up to those games being quick and dirty early ports but if Rich was using a 7800X3D, obviously, this would explain the performance disparity. I will give him the benefit of the doubt though and assume he's not that much of a moron. I hope they used a Ryzen 3600 for these comparisons and not some crazy 7800X3D+64GB DDR5 7200 MT/s.

Elysium44

Banned

What CPU is he using? Desktop CPUs are superior to the ones in consoles which would presumably potentially account for better performance in some scenarios. That's why these comparisons are rather clumsy.

SlimySnake

Absolutely retarded comparison. he doesnt state what CPU hes using but hes definitely not using that AMD 6700U chip from china that he knows for a FACT is the PS5 CPU. Then he wonders why the 60 fps and 120 fps modes are performing well. Well, why do you think sherlock?

God i hate DF. Every time i stan for this fuckers they make me look like a fucking fool.

Oh and he didnt even downclock the 6700 to match the PS5 tflops. Not even for one test just to see how well the PS5 GPU compares to its PC counterpart with more dedicated VRAM and infinity cache.

To think he had 3 years to come up with the testing scenarios and completely blew it.

reinking

Gold Member
For some reason my mind went straight to PS5 Pro. I suppose there is some value in these to see what PS5 “secret sauce” is doing to assist in some areas when compared to a similar GPU or compare performance for a console like build. I guess I find these kind of videos interesting, but not necessarily valuable.

Gaiff

Absolutely retarded comparison. he doesnt state what CPU hes using but hes definitely not using that AMD 6700U chip from china that he knows for a FACT is the PS5 CPU. Then he wonders why the 60 fps and 120 fps modes are performing well. Well, why do you think sherlock?
I don't think he's using that desktop kit either but Rich knows enough not to put a monstrous CPU inside the PC and wonder why it blows the PS5 away when CPU-bound. At least that's what I'm assuming. Gonna try to look around if I can find out what CPU he used.
Oh and he didnt even downclock the 6700 to match the PS5 tflops. Not even for one test just to see how well the PS5 GPU compares to its PC counterpart with more dedicated VRAM and infinity cache.
This wasn't the point of this comparison. The point was really just to compare the closest PC GPU to what the PS5 has on offer and also compare other GPUs in the same ballpark (3060, 2070S, 4060). He cites the advantages of both the PS5's GPU and 6700 so there was no point in downclocking it since he wanted to see how they stacked up out of the box.

SlimySnake

I don't think he's using that desktop kit either but Rich knows enough not to put a monstrous CPU inside the PC and wonder why it blows the PS5 away when CPU-bound. At least that's what I'm assuming. Gonna try to look around if I can find out what CPU he used.

This wasn't the point of this comparison. The point was really just to compare the closest PC GPU to what the PS5 has on offer and also compare other GPUs in the same ballpark (3060, 2070S, 4060). He cites the advantages of both the PS5's GPU and 6700 so there was no point in downclocking it since he wanted to see how they stacked up out of the box.
Like i said, just one test. This is all an academic exercise anyway. If the idea is to compare the PS5 GPU then there is no harm in downclocking to get a 1:1 comparison especially since there are so many different variances in games.

The CPU thing is simply inexcusable. I went back to the beginining of the video twice and he simply fails to mention it. Even if he chose the 3600, he shouldve mentioned it.

What's Richard Leadbetter's obsession with these GPU to console comparisons? He keeps doing them and they're completely useless.
Well said.

The comparisons are dumb.
First of all the PS5 GPU is sharing memory bandwith and memory Interface with the CPU. This isn't the case on PC.

Second what CPU has he used in the video??

SlimySnake

Yeah noticed that too. Perhaps PS5’s RT is RDNA 2.5? Lulz
It's just one game. Avatar is not that bad. These kind of aberrations dont really tell us much. Just look at Hitman. This was a game Alex used 3 years ago at the start of the gen to claim the PS5 was a RTX 2060 super equivalent. Now it's outperforming a 4060 in other games. Thats why even PC youtubers use an average of 10-30 games to gauge the performance difference.

Besides, There are plenty of other RT games he couldve used to prove whether or not this was an aberration. Some with ray traced GI, reflections instead of just shadows. Star wars jedi survivor is all RT and regularly dips below 30 fps in reflection heavy areas unlike Avatar which is locked at all times on PS5. Spiderman Miles has an unlocked mode even in fidelity mode that wouldve let him do a really good RT reflection comparison. Callisto wouldve been a fantastic test because it is pushing several RT features as well as extremely high quality assets that tax both the GPU and vram.

Lazy video from Rich lol

Gaiff

The comparisons are dumb.
First of all the PS5 GPU is sharing memory bandwith and memory Interface with the CPU. This isn't the case on PC.
He specifically points that out.

Not sure why you're always in these threads, saying you don't watch the videos, only to comment stuff that is already addressed in the video.

Just ignore them and don't bother posting?

It's very likely because of CPU bottleneck on PS5. Why don't they put a PS5 CPU (4700s) in there?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just to join everyone else, this post is so wrong lol.
These comparisons are very interesting and provide a look at how the GPUs with very similar specs stack up.

Interesting comparison. It's clear to see that in some games, console APIs are far more efficient but in other games, we see some seriously lazy console ports. Hitman for example having such a disparity is shocking seeing as the underlying GPUs are similar. Ideally, these GPUs should perform relatively close to each other except in cases where the devs are really leveraging console features. For the most part, sony's apis are far superior to DX so there should never be a 40% gap in favor of PC for these part except its a thoroughly incompetent port.

JimboJones

Marching orders to insight the PC vs PlayStation war
👆Marching order to initiate lockdown procedures.

Anyway...

It's nice there is a reasonably priced GPU if your looking for console like settings.
Although can you buy the 6700 non xt, seems to be all the xt variants when I look online.

shamoomoo

No. Especially comparing Nvidias 2,000 series and the 3,000 series to the PS5, because we sorta understand the generational difference in terms of architecture and how well devs are utilizing current gen features.

Top Bottom