• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Horizon Forbidden West PC vs PS5: Enhanced Features, Performance Tests + Image Quality Boosts!

When did said mockery occur?

As far as I remember, that was certainly one aspect of the PS5 design that was very well received, and - if anything - expectations were even higher than current reality we’ve seen.

You weren't here 4 years ago with the SSD SSD SSD SSD mockery?

Most people still think that PS5 focused too much on SSD...

But hey most people don't get that I/O is not just about storage

Killjoy-NL

PC gamers don’t like to admit that graphics aren’t much different to consoles, hence why they always focus on frame rate.
Lol pretty much.

Watching this video on my OLED right now and all this video does is show how close PS5 is to PC.

So close, that if going by these Playstation PC port comparisons, there is very little reason to go PC over console.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Maybe because there is no version of Horizon Forbidden West for the Series S/X consoles.
4pn1an.png

This is you.

Fredrik

I feel left out, why don't they talk about the 4090? Are we really so few?
Unfortunately I think so yeah, among enthusiasts we’re fairly common I think but among mainstream gamers we’re just an annoying tiny group of overspending lunatics.

I’ll hopefully try it out in a couple hours, downloading on both PCs, one with a 7900x+4090 and one with a 7800x3d+4080S.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

It’s a port, not a remake. Running higher frame rates at higher resolutions and higher settings requires a lot more power.
And? Ports can look better vs original game release, depending on the hardware and effort in the porting process. Realistically, Sony isn't going to invest in making a PC port of their games look noticably better.

What seems standard are higher frame rates and minor graphical tweaks.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Unfortunately I think so yeah, among enthusiasts we’re fairly common I think but among mainstream gamers we’re just an annoying tiny group of overspending lunatics.

I’ll hopefully try it out in a couple hours, downloading on both PCs, one with a 7900x+4090 and one with a 7800x3d+4080S.
Hey in my defense, I almost threw up after impulse buying the card. Literally ran to Gaf like a lil bitch and made a thread about it.

I kinda consider it an investment. I bought the 3080 for 950 bucks...sold it for $500, bought 4090 for $1650 (gags) I'll probably sell it for like $11-1200....then buy the 5090 for hopefully under $2000

Last edited:

Gaiff

Lol pretty much.

Watching this video on my OLED right now and all this video does is show how close PS5 is to PC.

So close, that if going by these Playstation PC port comparisons, there is very little reason to go PC over console.
It's the exact same game. Were you somehow expecting them to remodel the characters and overhaul the entire lighting model and replace it with RTGI?

Some of you guys are just so damn insecure about your favorite toys.

Grow up.

GymWolf

So what is the verdict? Another safe, lazy port that barely improve a game that originally run on a fucking 2070super and laptop cpu?

200w.gif

Last edited:

Gaiff

So what is the verdict? Another safe, lazy port that barely improve a game that originally run on a fucking 2070super and laptop cpu?

200w.gif
I wouldn't call this a lazy port. It's a competent port that offers little over the original but runs well and has nice QOL features like ultrawide, frame generation, and DLSS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yea it wasn't great even at launch so that makes sense but the 5800X 3D is gonna eat it's lunch.
It was fine but maybe for a year or two.
And I went in hard.
I got x570 + 3700x both at release.... and man what a pain it was. I had to replace the motherboard because it was faulty, then I had to flash it without a cpu with quick flash.
Then the pc was booting for 40+ seconds while my 2500k was doing 11 seconds.. and after new firmware every month for over a year, it got to acceptable state. csm disabled and all. normal modern boot.
not to mention amd chipset famous usb problems...
It grew to be a very stable platform. I don't have any problems but it was a failed purchase at best.

Killjoy-NL

It's the exact same game. Were you somehow expecting them to remodel the characters and overhaul the entire lighting model and replace it with RTGI?

Some of you guys are just so damn insecure about your favorite toys.

Grow up.
Just saying what I see.
This video does show how close PS5 is to PC.

Or do you rather want to compare HFW to Dragon's Dogma 2, which had PC as lead-platform?

Last edited:

Gaiff

Just saying what I see.
But it didn't stop there. You're trying to use this as a justification to diminish PC. "Hur hur hur, you don't need a PC," completely omitting the fact that you can run DLSS at 1800p Performance Mode and get better image Quality than on PS5, something that probably requires an RTX 2060.
Or do you rather we'd compare HFW to Dragon's Dogma 2, which had PC as lead-platform?
What has this got to do with anything? This a port of a PS5 game. For it to look different, they'd have to completely revamp several things which wouldn't make sense. It doesn't make PC any less good because of this. You'd know this, but you're more interested in platform warring than a genuine discussion. Does little Timmy feel better knowing PC doesn't make his purchase worthless? Does he need his pacifier?

It is a competent port that is good on PS5 and PC. PC is worth it if you didn't play the game on PS5. You could have left it at that but nope, had to war.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

But it didn't stop there. You're trying to use this as a justification to diminish PC. "Hur hur hur, you don't need a PC," completely omitting the fact that you can run DLSS at 1800p Performance Mode and get better image Quality than on PS5, something that probably requires an RTX 2060.
From a console-gamer's perspective, that's true.

DF compares PS5 to PC in this video, so don't complain when someone points out that both are close enough to make a valid statement that PC might not be worth the investment for minimal visual differences.

You can come up with the technical aspects of it, but from just looking at it on my tv, the differences are minimal to the eye.

The average consumer probably doesn't even notice any differences straight away.
What has this got to do with anything? This a port of a PS5 game. For it to look different, they'd have to completely revamp several things which wouldn't make sense. It doesn't make PC any less good because of this. You'd know this, but you're more interested in platform warring than a genuine discussion.
It's to point out that what you're saying is irrelevant, as PS5 is more than capable to compete with games that did have PC as lead-platform.

If people don't like this discussion, then ask DF to not make a direct comparison between PS5 and PC.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I wouldn't call this a lazy port. It's a competent port that offers little over the original but runs well and has nice QOL features like ultrawide, frame generation, and DLSS.
I know people chose to play on pc for a multitude of reasons, but i play on pc to play MUCH BETTER than console, so a port like this is utterly useless to me.

I guess it's a good port for people without a ps5.

Last edited:

Gaiff

From a console-gamer's perspective, that's true.
No, that's moronic because no one is going to invest in a PC build just to play one game. Furthermore, PCs can range from cheap to very expensive. Does this game being similar on both platforms somehow invalidate all the games that aren't similar? What about Cyberpunk with path tracing. Did it stop working on PC following the release of this game?
DF compares PS5 to PC in this video, so don't complain when someone points out that both are close enough to make a valid statement that PC might not be worth the investment for minimal visual differences.
Again, stupid argument. What investment? Is this the only game out there?
It's to point out that what you're saying is irrelevant, as PS5 is more than capable to compete with games that did have PC as lead-platform.

If people don't like this discussion, then ask DF to make not make a direct comparison between PS5 and PC.
I don't mind the discussion but this isn't what it is. This isn't you simply pointing out that this game isn't much better on PC, this is you trying to bring down the entire platform because a single game that is a PS5 port doesn't look leaps and bounds better on PC.

Killjoy-NL

No, that's moronic because no one is going to invest in a PC build just to play one game. Furthermore, PCs can range from cheap to very expensive. Does this game being similar on both platforms somehow invalidate all the games that aren't similar? What about Cyberpunk with path tracing. Did it stop working on PC following the release of this game?
Cyberpunk lacks the polish a game like HFW has.
As do most PC exclusive games, or those with PC as lead-platform.

This is exactly what diminishing returns is all about.
Again, stupid argument. What investment? Is this the only game out there?

I don't mind the discussion but this isn't what it is. This isn't you simply pointing out that this game isn't much better on PC, this is you trying to bring down the entire platform because a single game that is a PS5 port doesn't look leaps and bounds better on PC.
When a high-end graphics card is more expensive than a console, it most definitely is an investment.

And who is acting insecure now? All I said was that based on this comparison, PC isn't worth the investment for the minimal visual upgrade. I was expecting much more since PC gamers always brag about how they will wait for the PC port, which is always supposedly vastly superior.

Gaiff

Cyberpunk lacks the polish a game like HFW has.
As do most PC exclusive games, or those with PC as lead-platform.
And Horizon lacks a halfway decent lighting model. Besides that's not even the point, the point is that supposedly, Horizon looking similar on PC makes the whole platform worthless. Clearly, Cyberpunk cancels that out because it looks much better on PC. What about Alan Wake 2? People were pissing and moaning here because of the awful image quality on consoles. Skull & Bones runs at an internal resolution of 720p on consoles and the image quality is a mess. Baldur's Gate 3 tanks to 20fps on consoles with shitty 4x AF and so on. I could go on but you get it.
This is exactly what diminishing returns is all about.

When a high-end graphics card is more expensive than a console, it most definitely is an investment.
You don't need an high-end graphics card to play this game? Alex just ran it on a 2070S+3600. On what part of the globe is this a high-end rig?
And who is acting insecure now? All I said was that based on this comparison, PC isn't worth the investment for the minimal visual upgrade. I was expecting much more since PC gamers always brag about how they will wait for the PC port, which is always supposedly vastly superior.
You literally made that shit up and thank you for admitting you weren't actually interested in discussing the game but merely wanted your gotcha moment. HFW looks similar on PC, everyone! Throw away your rigs. You don't need them anymore.

Your argument makes no fucking sense. I already have a high-end rig but not a PS5. Would it make more sense for me to get this on PC or go buy a PS5 to play it? Clearly, for someone owning a PC, this is a worthwhile investment since they need something like an RTX 2060S+Ryzen 5 3600 to play at quality levels similar to PS5. Again, this is something you should know but you didn't think this through. You were too busy salivating at putting back PCMR in their place because your precious console is comparable. Wow!

Last edited:

daninthemix

Just saying what I see.

Or do you rather want to compare HFW to Dragon's Dogma 2, which had PC as lead-platform?
The PC version has unlimited resolution and framerate. Unlimited. If you don't understand why that's a big deal - being that you are most probably a warring console peasant who will lord it over Xbox fans when your version of the game has a mere 5% performance advantage - I have nothing more to say.

It will already obliterate what a PS5 Pro could do with this game on a 4090. And guess what? Nvidia's next gen is right around the corner...

Gaiff

I know people chose to play on pc for a multitude of reasons, but i play on pc to play MUCH BETTER than console, so a port like this is utterly useless to me.
I hear you but we got a decent port. We really aren't entitled to more. It's awesome when they add new stuff like RT but if not, no big deal.
I guess it's a good port for people without a ps5.
Which is what is most important. It's not a disaster like TLOU. It scales well enough above PS5 in terms of IQ and frame rates and is stable. All I ask is a game that runs well and looks at least as good as its console counterpart with unlocked frame rates, upscaling options, ultrawide, and frame generation. Anything more is an awesome bonus.

The PC version has unlimited resolution and framerate. Unlimited. If you don't understand why that's a big deal - being that you are most probably a warring console peasant who will lord it over Xbox fans when your version of the game has a mere 5% performance advantage - I have nothing more to say.

It will already obliterate what a PS5 Pro could do with this game on a 4090. And guess what? Nvidia's next gen is right around the corner...

I Did It Win GIF by Rocky

Unlimited Resolution*

*RTX 4090 not included with the game, costs $2000. RTX 5090 coming soon for $2500 **

**GPU doesn't turn on by itself, requires other PC components

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

And Horizon lacks a halfway decent lighting model. Besides that's not even the point, the point is that supposedly, Horizon looking similar on PC makes the whole platform worthless. Clearly, Cyberpunk cancels that out because it looks much better on PC. What about Alan Wake 2? People were pissing and moaning here because of the awful image quality. Skull & Bones runs at an internal resolution of 720p on consoles and the image quality is a mess. Baldur's Gate 3 tanks to 20fps on consoles with shitty 4x AF and so on. I could go on but you get it.
People on Gaf are bitching and moaning all the time, when in reality games like Cyberpunk and AW2 have minimal visual differences with consoles when just playing the game or seeing the comparions, unless you go zoom in and get into technicalities.
You don't need an high-end graphics card to play this game? Alex just ran it on a 2070S+3600. On what part of the globe is this a high-end rig?
No shit. But the most notable difference would be between consoles and high-end PCs.
You literally made that shit up and thank you for admitting you weren't actually interested in discussing the game but merely wanted your gotcha moment. HFW looks similar on PC, everyone! Throw away your rigs. You don't need them anymore.
Who was insecure again?

Your argument makes no fucking sense. I already have a high-end rig but not a PS5. Would it make more sense for me to get this on PC or go buy a PS5 to play it? Clearly, for someone owning a PC, this is a worthwhile investment since they need something like an RTX 2060S+Ryzen 5 3600 to play at quality levels similar to PS5. Again, this is something you should know but you didn't think this through. You were too busy salivating at putting back PCMR in their place because your precious console is comparable. Wow!
Next time I'll add "to me" when I'm saying it's not worth the investment.
Then you don't have to feel attacked.

Very cool, but on my tv the differences are negligible.

And I never cheered about 5% performance advantage of PS5 over Series.

I've always said performance would be similar between PS5 and Series, with each platform having it's own pros and cons, during the time when Gaf was still all about the tflops pre-release.

Last edited:

Gaiff

People on Gaf are bitching and moaning all the time, when in reality games like Cyberpunk and AW2 have minimal visual differences with consoles when just playing the game or seeing the comparions, unless you go zoom in and get into technicalities.
Ah yes, minimal differences between 874p upscaled to 1440p and 4K with path tracing. In that case, there must be no difference to you between a PS5 and a PC from the year 2016. If we're going to be dishonest, why stop there?
No shit. But the most notable difference would be between consoles and high-end PCs.
Then clearly, PC is a worthwhile investment because having a high-powered $3000 rig isn't needed to play games.
Who was insecure again?
The manchild who was mad at PC gamers saying they always got the best version and felt the need to come to this thread just to appease his insecurities.
Next time I'll add "to me" when I'm saying it's not worth the investment.
Then you don't have to feel attacked.
Next time, don't say something false and nonsensical.

Zathalus

I Did It Win GIF by Rocky

Unlimited Resolution*

*RTX 4090 not included with the game, costs $2000. RTX 5090 coming soon for $2500 **

**GPU doesn't turn on by itself, requires other PC components
A 4060 is $299 and offers better image quality as well. You can build a 4060 PC for around $650 if that strapped for cash.

4090 is only needed for native 4k/120 which is 4x the FPS of the PS5.

Killjoy-NL

Ah yes, minimal differences between 874p upscaled to 1440p and 4K with path tracing. In that case, there must be no difference to you between a PS5 and a PC from the year 2016. If we're going to be dishonest, why stop there?

Then clearly, PC is a worthwhile investment because having a high-powered $3000 rig isn't needed to play games.

The manchild who was mad at PC gamers saying they always got the best version and felt the need to come to this thread just to appease his insecurities.

Next time, don't say something false and nonsensical.
Cool story.

Know what the average person's reaction to these comparisons is?
851.png

Because the differences are negligible in practice, unless you resort to comparisons like this one from DF.

But I'll leave it at that. Like I said, next time I'll add "to me", so you don't have to get so touchy.

Last edited:
A 4060 is $299 and offers better image quality as well. You can build a 4060 PC for around $650 if that strapped for cash.

4090 is only needed for native 4k/120 which is 4x the FPS of the PS5.

You should have actually read my post...

The poster was bragging about UNLIMITED RESOLUTION for the PC version

That's a lie. To push the game to the highest possible resolution/performance you need top of the line hardware...

Try that with a $650 PC and tell me how that goes....

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
All I said was that based on this comparison, PC isn't worth the investment for the minimal visual upgrade.
PC is worth the investment just for mouse+kb non handicapped gameplays with minimal input lag, plus ultrawide, mods, near perfect IQ, more than 60fps, forever forward compatibility, etc, etc...

Kenpachii

Not going to lie, lack of raytracing is a real let down and frankly feels like a unfinished product because of it. We are in the year 2024 and RT should be standard at this point.

And by the way this $650 PC thing is getting on my nerves....

It's just theoretical talk to dump on consoles by the Master Race cult....

Too bad the PCMR builds $3000 PC to feel good about themselves...

Killjoy-NL

PC is worth the investment just for mouse+kb non handicapped gameplays with minimal input lag, plus ultrawide, mods, near perfect IQ, more than 60fps, forever forward compatibility, etc, etc...
All preferences.

Meanwhile, I don't see any noteworthy differences in this comparison, hence my comments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom