• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lol stop.

Yes, live service games are charging you (sometimes) hefty sum of money for skins and shit like that but they are also giving you actual playable content for free. I'm all for ND releasing playable content for free and charging for cosmetics because I'm not kind of guy that is buying that shit...

Stop.

Resident Evil is charging you $2.99 for a skin and it's not a live service game.

The Leon and Ashley costume pack costs $3.99

Fighting games are charging over $9.99 - $19.99 for costume packs that don't include DLC characters and it's only there for aesthetics.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why would anyone give a shit about a game they don’t like?
James Franco Reaction GIF

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And I doubt Sony cares that much about shit that happened in 2014 during financial evaluation in year 2023.
Also, you somehow forgot to mention that God of War Ragnarok sold more copies during first three months than TLOU 2 during almost 4 years....
...and SSM also has another project in works. So by the time ND will finally release 1 new game during this gen, SSM will have probably 2 games out.

Not to mention fact that according to LinkedIn Naughty Dog has 850+ employees while SSM has half of that...

Do you mean a game that was included with millions of PlayStation 5 units for almost a year? No way!

And no, you said SMS didn't waste millions on a project that didn't see the light of day. You can turn around and say, "I doubt Sony cares that much about shit that happened in 2014 during financial evaluation."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A vast field of stars out there.

Do they use the cutscene character models during gameplay? I think that would make it look better.

There are no changes to the textures etc, only one place with better quality ground texture and one specific shadow map at a higher resolution. Otherwise it's things like increase in LoD distance for foliage. The models etc are all identical.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Do they use the cutscene character models during gameplay? I think that would make it look better.

Last edited:

Flabagast

You have game companies charging you 2.99 or more for skins and small accessories in video games with little to no outrage.

Yet when Sony charges $10 for No Return Mode, Lost Levels, tons of different skins, and 2-3 different costumes per character (Abby and Ellie) it's a problem. lol
And then you have CDPR, which charges nothing and adds new quests, new weapons and armors, new camera, revised gameplay and UX, etc... along with a massive visual overhaul.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You have game companies charging you 2.99 or more for skins and small accessories in video games with little to no outrage.

Yet when Sony charges $10 for No Return Mode, Lost Levels, tons of different skins, and 2-3 different costumes per character (Abby and Ellie) it's a problem. lol

gMEf3IH.jpg

Tag checks out.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished the video. Might have been better suited calling this a Director's Cut rather than a remaster.

+Improved load times
+Better LOD
+Improved visual modes for higher frame rates or resolution
+30 minutes of cut content with directors commentary
+new game modes that recycle content, new outfits
+DualSense support
=Improved textures and shadows that are difficult to spot
-Not the biggest jump from the patched version of the PS4 release.

I'm fine with this being a $10 upgrade and that is about my limit for these types of release (and why I didn't upgrade Tsushima). Effort went into the release and I effort should be rewarded. If that effort is worth the upgrade cost is up to you. They previously patched the PS4 version for PS5 support. Calling this a remaster is a stretch though but expectations should probably be kept in check as this was a late generation PS4 title so it's going to be difficult for a PS5 release to run laps around it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And then you have CDPR, which charges nothing and adds new quests, new weapons and armors, new camera, revised gameplay and UX, etc... along with a massive visual overhaul.

Free content was needed after a disastrous launch.

gMEf3IH.jpg

Tag checks out.

Not nearly as bad as people complaining about this game for nearly 4 years. Replying to the terrible takes on this forum gets you this tag.

bender

What time is it?
Having completed the game twice, including on Ps5, this really isn't an upgrade worth buying. Not enough justify my time (the money isn't an issue, given how cheap it is).

I wish I hadn't replayed it last year so I'll wait to upgrade until I get the itch again.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Having completed the game twice, including on Ps5, this really isn't an upgrade worth buying. Not enough justify my time (the money isn't an issue, given how cheap it is).
There’s a whole new game mode though…it was good when they gave us the 60FPS patch but there’s new content and VRR support…if you’ve already got the OG version it’s an easy $10 to justify

Kirkio

I have been looking forward to this. I almost did my second playthrough after completing the part 1 remake but stopped myself after 10 minutes, turns out I do have a shred of will power

Whitecrow

Banned
Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn.........
don't buy it.
We can not buy it and still be a robbery.
Because he is right. They're stealing 10 bucks for what can perfectly be considered a patch.

There's absolutely nothing here to warrant paying more. The new game mode will be pretty much DoA and only serves as filler, so they can make up an excuse for the price.

adamsapple

Wait aren't they just doing this so they can sell it on PC?

The inevitable PC version's obviously gonna have a host of other improvements like DLSS, Frame Gen etc, but yes. This is just paving the path for that PC version later this year. They now have a native PS5 SKU and a PC one to complement it in a few months.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The inevitable PC version's obviously gonna have a host of other improvements like DLSS, Frame Gen etc, but yes. This is just paving the path for that PC version later this year. They now have a native PS5 SKU and a PC one to complement it in a few months.
I don't expect the pc version to have any real improvements to assets/shadows/lod etc
DLSS/FG just come with the pc. These are not game features really.

Wait aren't they just doing this so they can sell it on PC?
Absolutely. All of these minimal "upgrades" seem like your standard run-of-the-mill enhancements you'd expect from a title being ported to PC. Had it been a more gamer-centric publisher at the helm like CD Projekt, this would have been a free upgrade detailed in a patch note.

adamsapple

I don't expect the pc version to have any real improvements to assets/shadows/lod etc
DLSS/FG just come with the pc. These are not game features really.

Sony's never gonna let them make huge changes like adding RT when the console version doesn't.

Horizon FW would do great with path-tracing or other RT enhancements on PC, but the PC version won't have that. Sony wouldn't want the console version to get *that* outshown.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony's never gonna let them make huge changes like adding RT when the console version doesn't.

Horizon FW would do great with path-tracing or other RT enhancements on PC, but the PC version won't have that. Sony wouldn't want the console version to get *that* outshown.
idk how much RT would do to those games.
Their bake is of much higher quality than real time RT would be able to deliver. Especially tlou2.
HFW also got like 16 different bakes for different times of day and for most part, it delivers.
I am not a big RT fan. Obviously its good and amazing and so on but it's just brute forcing what we were able to cheat cheaper with raster techniques... almost.

The Witcher 3 update was free.

Go and see the comparison between old gen and next gen.
And it's utterly broken on the PS5 with a ridiculous grass bug that makes whole fields of grass just pop in or out, or even exchange places right beneath Geralt.

I really doubt any Sony game would have a similar issue

Last edited:

Senua

idk how much RT would do to those games.
Their bake is of much higher quality than real time RT would be able to deliver. Especially tlou2.
HFW also got like 16 different bakes for different times of day and for most part, it delivers.
I am not a big RT fan. Obviously its good and amazing and so on but it's just brute forcing what we were able to cheat cheaper with raster techniques... almost.
It's posts like this that always befuddle me Rofif. You're an enigma of the highest order

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's posts like this that always befuddle me Rofif. You're an enigma of the highest order
What's so weird about what I've said? it's all true. We still have a hard time doing in real time what good bake does but it's close.... for what price though.
Raster techniques came a long way for way cheaper than ray tracing. Sure, RT will look better in some cases but not always you want realistic expensive lighting.
Rat tracing is an ancient technique that is just brute forcing. That's why we only use parts of it in games outside of few select titles.
There must be other, different ways of making game graphics. Not only wasteful rt, don't you think so?

Senua

What's so weird about what I've said? it's all true. We still have a hard time doing in real time what good bake does but it's close.... for what price though.
Raster techniques came a long way for way cheaper than ray tracing. Sure, RT will look better in some cases but not always you want realistic expensive lighting.
Rat tracing is an ancient technique that is just brute forcing. That's why we only use parts of it in games outside of few select titles.
There must be other, different ways of making game graphics. Not only wasteful rt, don't you think so?
I agree with you in regards to current consoles, but not on PC with rtx which has shown it can produce beautifully realised RT which looks miles ahead of games without it. PT can turn the aged Cyberpunk into arguably the most impressive game out there just by "brute forcing". baking is just way too limited

SABRE220

Jesus naughty dog has not been great this gen....lazy remasters, ruining their gen output by canning their efforts in a simple slam dunk as factions by overthinking and no progress in their tech or output in sight. Lets be real this is a really lackluster upgrade and can easily be added as a simple patch. If they want to charge for the additional content okay a case can be made but not adding a patch for the visual update is plain greedy, this is basic toggle switch stuff no assets or effects have been changed literally its upping the resolution which will be sold at normal price for the pc version. They basically developed the pc version and thought you know what lets milk our console fanbase who have been immensely loyal and have been patiently waiting for the mp for tlou2 a whole gen.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Talking about The Witcher 3
The issue gamers have is that just because one studio offers free content that means other developers should do it too.

Tony Hawk 1+2 visual upgrade costs $10, but was free for certain gamers.

People forget that while God of War Ragnarok DLC was free, PS4 owners were required to pay $10 to upgrade to the PS5 version.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
We can not buy it and still be a robbery.
Because he is right. They're stealing 10 bucks for what can perfectly be considered a patch.

There's absolutely nothing here to warrant paying more. The new game mode will be pretty much DoA and only serves as filler, so they can make up an excuse for the price.
Then, don't pay more. No one is stealing anything from you.

The Witcher 3 update was free.

Go and see the comparison between old gen and next gen.
Not to be mean or anything, but the fact that company A gives you a free and awesome update doesn’t mean that company B has to do the same. Also, iirc the Witcher 3 update didn’t add anything besides visual upgrades while tlou2 remastered does.

Top Bottom