• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree with you in regards to current consoles, but not on PC with rtx which has shown it can produce beautifully realised RT which looks miles ahead of games without it. PT can turn the aged Cyberpunk into arguably the most impressive game out there just by "brute forcing". baking is just way too limited
I have rtx pc and cyberpunk is obviously very impressive.
But if they went a bit further with raster techniques, they could get a bit closer to rt look I bet.

The classic game rendering like in TLOU2 obviously is more static but it does look incredible and they do have dynamic clouds, flashlight GI and their other software stuff.
Even in uncharted 4, when you use flashlight, you can see grain accumulating. It's NDs crude software "rt". They just call it their global illumination.
just raw RT alone is a bit of a awste.

Anyway
Wait, no 40/120 mode? Come on......
There is 40fps and unlocked modes.

Much better vid here:

Wait, no 40/120 mode? Come on......

Wrong:

If you start the game with 120Hz output toggled to automatic and VRR off in the PS5 settings and enable the unlocked toggle in the game settings, the game will attempt to render at 4K 40fps rather than the usual 30fps. This mode actually does a pretty good job of hitting 40fps in typical play, with most gameplay hugging the 40fps line. Certain alpha effects - particularly those from infected enemies - can tank the frame-rate a bit at close range, and the water seems to hurt performance sometimes as well, but in general play those issues don't pop up very much. It's definitely a better experience than the fidelity mode at 30fps.

If you enable both 120Hz and VRR, you can play both modes with a truly unlocked frame-rate, smoothed out with variable refresh. The performance mode typically seems to run around 75fps to 100fps, while the fidelity mode seems to run around 40fps to 60fps. Both modes appear to have identical visual settings to their 60Hz counterparts, too. In a game like this without dynamic resolution, I think enabling VRR makes a lot of sense as there's usually quite a bit of performance headroom that goes unused otherwise.

Flabagast

Not to be mean or anything, but the fact that company A gives you a free and awesome update doesn’t mean that company B has to do the same. Also, iirc the Witcher 3 update didn’t add anything besides visual upgrades while tlou2 remastered does.
Large parts of the gameplay were revamped, they added a new over the shoulder camera, new weapons and armor, lot of QoL changes in the UX and interface, a new 1h questline. On top of the huge visual overhaul.

Last edited:
Large parts of the gameplay were revamped, they added a new over the shoulder camera, new weapons and armor, lot of QoL changes in the UX and interface, a new 1h questline. On top of the huge visual overhaul.
Ok that’s some cool stuff. Nice to know. Great upgrade for free then. I still understand other companies charging for theirs though.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There’s a whole new game mode though…it was good when they gave us the 60FPS patch but there’s new content and VRR support…if you’ve already got the OG version it’s an easy $10 to justify

Not for me. I've got other games I haven't completed yet. Just not worth diving back into that universe for what's on offer. Tends to be the case with narrative led games.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Free content was needed after a disastrous launch.

Not nearly as bad as people complaining about this game for nearly 4 years. Replying to the terrible takes on this forum gets you this tag.
Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
hmmm I am getting around. nick930 vid makes the game look so amazing.
I only played and finished it once on release on ps4 slim... in sdr, on a monitor.

now? 4k, 40+fps(or I will lock preferably), HDR, dualsense, better lod and grass but only a bit. Man... I am getting around.

Btw. Anyone knows if there is true 3d tempest audio support?
I think games that supported 3d audio on ps4, lost it when played in bc mode on ps5 correct?
So reinclusion of 3d audio/tempest in this would be fucking awesome. I would wait for pulse elite to arrive next month for this.
3d audio is incredible in ND games.

Senua

Sony aren't that generous m8

I hope we get to see Naughty Dog's next game an actual new game, not remasters or remake of a remaster but an actual new game (even if it's a sequel). Please ND, say something!

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
hmmm I am getting around. nick930 vid makes the game look so amazing.
I only played and finished it once on release on ps4 slim... in sdr, on a monitor.

now? 4k, 40+fps(or I will lock preferably), HDR, dualsense, better lod and grass but only a bit. Man... I am getting around.

Btw. Anyone knows if there is true 3d tempest audio support?
I think games that supported 3d audio on ps4, lost it when played in bc mode on ps5 correct?
So reinclusion of 3d audio/tempest in this would be fucking awesome. I would wait for pulse elite to arrive next month for this.
3d audio is incredible in ND games.

So after all this time of you adamantly claiming that TLOU Part II holds up or surpasses the top looking games of 2023 and beyond, you reveal that you've only ever played it on the base PS4 in SDR on a monitor?

lmao come on man

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So after all this time of you adamantly claiming that TLOU Part II holds up or surpasses the top looking games of 2023 and beyond, you reveal that you've only ever played it on the base PS4 in SDR on a monitor?

lmao come on man
yes? what does that change?
I play with a monitor on my desk. i always had good monitors before oled tv.
And I watched the whole game be played right after than at a friends house on a tv...
It will be a bump up for me personally but the game still looks incredible. What is even your point here.
gtfo looser, it's a pc ips monitor lol. Not an old crt to hide flaws an make games look better. wtf

This looks way better than alan wake 2 on ps5. Alan wake2 is low resolution, got terrible grainy ssr in place of any reflections, got almost not cubemaps or planars in place of lack of rt, got fsr2 with terrible motion break-up and performs like dogshit... and is a bad game that just plays bad.

This looks amazing, image quality is like a post card. Even in raw performance mode it looks way better than alan wake 2, let alone 4k mode.
Like wtf did we do to modern games that image quality is so poor nowadays... oh yeah it's... nothing. It's just bad developers. Alan Wake2 doesn't even have rt to defend it's lackluster console performance. metro exodus was 1440p+, 60fp and full rt on consoles.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
+ No Return looks great
+ Lost Levels looks interesting
+ I'm interested in playing through the game with developer commentary.
+ A lot of good skins and costumes
+ $10 is a reasonable price.

- I wish they would push performance mode to 1800p.
- I expected some improved textures in performance mode.
- They should have made more costumes selectable for Abby and Ellie ( Ellie's long-sleeved shirt from her flashback, Ellie with Joel's Jacket, Abby's jacket with her gas mask )
- An endless mode for No Return would have been great.

The positives outweigh the negatives by a lot. I hope they add a few more extra content for No Return mode. Endless mode and maybe a few more playable characters.

I wonder how many years will have passed by the time Naughty Dog releases a new game?

TLOU 3 seems inevitable, any more Uncharted games are unlikely (apparently?), and I know they have supposedly been working on a new I.P which I can't remember at the moment.

For a studio this talented it feels like a waste.

I know they had a higher output during the PS3 life cycle, so maybe the newer technology has seen them become too ambitious.

Whatever, I'd be interested to see what people think.

DanielG165

CDPR essentially gives you a current gen revamp for free in Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3, and an entirely different story for Cyberpunk in the Phantom Liberty. The Coalition pushed Gears 5 further, graphically on the Series X for free. Portal RTX was a free update for those who already owned the game, and introduced complete path tracing that transformed the visuals.

Hell, Sonic Frontiers received 3 major updates that transformed the game, and gave it tons of new content. The last update of which being an entirely new version of the final story act, and three new playable characters with separate skill trees, new music etc, all for free.

And then you have this. I’m not speaking for or against this, as I have no plans to buy the remaster. It’s just both funny and interesting to me.

Last edited:
I hope we get to see Naughty Dog's next game an actual new game, not remasters or remake of a remaster but an actual new game (even if it's a sequel). Please ND, say something!
You ain't getting shit from ND this gen. Couple with the fact they wasted how many years on Last of Us Factions. It's a complete shit show over there.

I'm very dissapointed in ND this gen. They haven't got a single new game to show this gen. Seem to be coasting off remakes and sequels to Last of Us since last gen. Uncharted 4 was the worst for me in the series.

King Dazzar

You ain't getting shit from ND this gen. Couple with the fact they wasted how many years on Last of Us Factions. It's a complete shit show over there.

I'm very dissapointed in ND this gen. They haven't got a single new game to show this gen. Seem to be coasting off remakes and sequels to Last of Us since last gen. Uncharted 4 was the worst for me in the series.
I get the frustration. But do we really know what's going on there beyond the multiplayer changes? PlayStation tend to always keep announcements too close to their chest. Because of that I cant rule them out so quickly. Behind closed doors n' all that...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wrong:

If you start the game with 120Hz output toggled to automatic and VRR off in the PS5 settings and enable the unlocked toggle in the game settings, the game will attempt to render at 4K 40fps rather than the usual 30fps. This mode actually does a pretty good job of hitting 40fps in typical play, with most gameplay hugging the 40fps line. Certain alpha effects - particularly those from infected enemies - can tank the frame-rate a bit at close range, and the water seems to hurt performance sometimes as well, but in general play those issues don't pop up very much. It's definitely a better experience than the fidelity mode at 30fps.

If you enable both 120Hz and VRR, you can play both modes with a truly unlocked frame-rate, smoothed out with variable refresh. The performance mode typically seems to run around 75fps to 100fps, while the fidelity mode seems to run around 40fps to 60fps. Both modes appear to have identical visual settings to their 60Hz counterparts, too. In a game like this without dynamic resolution, I think enabling VRR makes a lot of sense as there's usually quite a bit of performance headroom that goes unused otherwise.

Sweet, thanks!

Hugare

Blame Sony execs, not the devs

Factions was forced on them (clearly, if you read between the lines on the cancelation announcement), they had to finish Part I Remake after another Sony dev wasnt able to and etc.

Classic example of mismanagement. They've been fucked over and over since they shipped Part II

I dont blame Druckman or any other dev over there

Santa Monica didnt suffer with the GAAS push because they were already balls deep developing Ragnarok (Guerrilla was also already developing FW), but we dont know about other Sony studios that may be in even worse situation than ND right now (Bend, Sucker Punch and etc.)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Blame Sony execs, not the devs

Factions was forced on them (clearly, if you reed between the lines on the cancelation announcement), they had to finish Part I Remake after another Sony dev wasnt able to and etc.

Classic example of mismanagement. They've been fucked over and over since they shipped Part II

I dont blame Druckman or any other dev over there

Santa Monica didnt suffer with the GAAS push because they were already balls deep developing Ragnarok (Guerrilla was also already developing FW), but we dont know about other Sony studios that may be in even worse situation than ND right now (Bend, Sucker Punch and etc.)
yeah it's the lack of sonys being confident and content with their output and chasing what others are doing needlessly.
Everyone does gaas and subs so we have to do this. No. people want normal console. just be normal lol.

We had uncharted 1 in 2007, amazing sequel in 2009, uc3 in 2011, tlou1 in 2013, then a dlc, remaster and uc4 only 3 years later on NEXT GEN in 2016.
THAT'S NUTS and I want those times back.
And many studios were doing this. Mass effects, gears of war. That gen was nuts. Games were the right size, right ambition. everything clicked for a moment there

Those loading times are not native PS5 loading times. 20 seconds to load a level (using PS4 textures!) instead of 1mn using mechanical HDD? you gotta kidding me. This is definitely the PC compatible build ported to PS5.

Last edited:
Sony's never gonna let them make huge changes like adding RT when the console version doesn't.

Horizon FW would do great with path-tracing or other RT enhancements on PC, but the PC version won't have that. Sony wouldn't want the console version to get *that* outshown.

Being able to run these game at a locked 60fps is good enough for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In uc4 and part1 you can play 120hz quality 40fps unlocked.
This means the game is using lfc because my tv is showing 120hz constantly.
Of that’s the case, do they use 60fps limit? So the whole range you get is from 40 to 60?
Because if it was turning off lfc at 60fps, my tv would report real fps at 61+.
And it doesn’t do that in uc4 even looking at the sky

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
In uc4 and part1 you can play 120hz quality 40fps unlocked.
This means the game is using lfc because my tv is showing 120hz constantly.
Of that’s the case, do they use 60fps limit? So the whole range you get is from 40 to 60?
Because if it was turning off lfc at 60fps, my tv would report real fps at 61+.
And it doesn’t do that in uc4 even looking at the sky

With VRR, whether it's using LFC or not, you shouldn't be seeing 120hz constantly unless the game is at a locked 40fps and not using VRR (in which case it'd just be tripling the 40hz output so that the final output is at a locked 120hz at all times).

If LFC was in place, you'd be seeing double whatever the framerate of the game is running at as the refresh rate on your TV unless it's outside of the LFC range, in which case it'd just show the actual FPS. So if the game was running at 33fps you'd be seeing 66hz, whereas if the game was running at 61fps (like you said), you'd be seeing 61hz.

So not sure what's going on with what you're describing unless there's just something wrong with what your TV is showing.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
With VRR, whether it's using LFC or not, you shouldn't be seeing 120hz constantly unless the game is at a locked 40fps and not using VRR (in which case it'd just be tripling the 40hz output so that the final output is at a locked 120hz at all times).

If LFC was in place, you'd be seeing double whatever the framerate of the game is running at as the refresh rate on your TV unless it's outside of the LFC range, in which case it'd just show the actual FPS. So if the game was running at 33fps you'd be seeing 66hz, whereas if the game was running at 61fps (like you said), you'd be seeing 61hz.

So not sure what's going on with what you're describing unless there's just something wrong with what your TV is showing.
Yeah exactly and I’ve just checked. Uc4 remaster is just showing 120hz vrr in lg secret menu. Game set to 120 quality and unlocked.
For sure it’s working. I can feel it. Maybe wonky tv menu not showing it

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe I’m being petty, but they still couldn’t reach 4k/60 on what’s basically a PS4 game? I mean it’s a really good looking PS4 game, but it’s still kinda disappointing imo.
Like Fake said, its likely an engine limitation. Uncharted 4 had the same issue. topped out around 45 fps. We are seeing the same thing here. The PS5 has enough juice to push to 4k 60 fps in death stranding with only rare drops to mid 50s during effects heavy boss battles.

To take a 1080p 30 fps game to 4k 60 fps you need 8x more GPU power plus a CPU that can keep up and enough vram to feed the 4k buffer. With the IPC gains, the PS5 has just about enough gpu power to get there but you are seeing roughly a 10-20% performance delta as it sits around 45-50 fps most of the time. Some last gen games just have these overheads we cant quite pinpoint without looking at the actual GPU/CPU profiles.

Wished the remaster looked like the 2018 E3 demo visually, but TLOU 2 is a masterpiece nonetheless…comes down to corporate greed…

Last edited:

consoul

Seems like it's not a massive upgrade, but unlocked frame rate on VRR and the new mode is more than enough for me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The Last Of Us Remastered all over again?
I understand the disappointment regarding lack of meaningful upgrades. I was personally hoping for E3 2018 caliber character models and enhanced motionmatching myself, but I really dont understand TLOU remastered comparisons or the $10 upgrade fee.
I'm talking about the mediocre PS4 version of TLOU PS3 port as a visual comparison and they did the exact same thing almost 11 years later.
That game cost $60. This is a $10 upgrade. Right off the bat, it is $50 cheaper.
There's nothing of value for those who buy games on disc and which are worth a $10 upgrade unless you're swimming in the sea of money and don't know what to do with it. TLOU2 is primarily a story-driven SP game and always will be. Moreover, PS4 version is almost exactly the same visually, just like the PS4 version of PS3 port of TLOU was, hense I've mentioned it and compared it to the mediocre PS4 port of TLOU2 to PS5.

TLOU Remake for PS5 100% worth the asking price at launch on disc, cuz it's way more than just GFX upgrade, even though gameplay-wise the game is almost exactly the same which was intentional. The PS4 port of TLOU simply is not even that, it's the same exact game visually with performance mode you already have with the PS4 version on the PS5. TLOU Remake is the best TLOU version in existance, unless you'll start thinking about some things the first season of the HBO show did better and the reason why is pretty obvious.
The Last of Us Remastered also didnt come with a rougelike mode. It had packaged in DLC that we had all paid $15 for just months prior to launch of the remaster.
Forget about $10 upgrade. Who honestly cares about this horde mode that much to buy the game on disc? People care about the story and characters, cuz that's what TLOU is all about. I will argue that some people who bought the $10 upgrade will probably play this mode for a couple of days and then forget about it as if it never even existed. I just think that for people who buy games on disc, there's just zero reasons to buy this PS4 port, which simply can't be said about TLOU Remake if you'll remember how bad the PS3 port was.

I mean, it's the same exact engine we're talking about here, it's not some new engine they've built for their PS5 only games. They could've upgraded original game with better assets, lighting, character models they already have (in cut-scenes no less, all of which were in engine), work on PS5 version until TLOU Season 2 release on HBO and release the game then, but nope, quick cash grab is what they decided to make instead. Again, TLOU2 is amazing looking game on PS4, but goddamn TLOU Remake is even better and TLOU2 deserves to be on par with it as well. I mean, I know I'd make sure for it to be that way if I'd knew anything about game development and could make this decision.

The thing that is even more disappointhing, is there's very, very high chance that the PC version will be exactly the same cuz it's a simple PS4 port and they can't allow for it to look miles better on PC and what can you even do to make it look better? They can't add RT cuz pretty much the whole game is baked from top to bottom when it comes to lighting conditions, time of day and stuff like that. To make it happen they need to rework the whole game just like 4A did with Metro Exodus to add proper RT lighting to the game and it's just not gonna happen.

PC port will probably have DLSS, but given that Uncharted collection still has the same ugly problems as original game when it comes to shadows from light sources, the sun etc., I highly doubt it'll be much different when it comes to the TLOU2 PC port cuz 100% of the time nobody cares to add an options for much higher resolution shadows from lighting and various light sources, nobody cares about such things. But here's the thing, if you already have PS4 version of the game and even if you have hardware to run the PC version at 4K 60, it's still not worth the full price.

They've fucked it up big time, man. There's no way around it. What they've added is nothing more than equivalent to special features on Blu-Ray and horde mode, which nobody will even remember in two 2 weeks time. I can't see myself buying this PS5 upgrade for $1 even and I fuckin' love both games to death.

Wanted to get Five Guys for lunch today, and this is what the order came to. $21. of course fuck that, im gonna get me a $5 burger from mcdonalds but people are really weird about paying for shit. I bet its the Napster in us. We were all pirates back in the day torrenting games, music and movies in our teens, but i grew out of that when i turned 16 and started earning money. Even at $5.80 an hour minimum wage, i was able to afford ANY $50 PS2 game i wanted. Now kids in mcdonalds are getting paid $15 an hour and bitching about $10 DLCs which is basically what this is. I have put in almost 100 hours into GOW Valhalla, they gave it away for free, but i wouldnt have minded paying $20 for it which is basically what most DLCs go for. TLOU2's combat is sublime and while ND isnt as talented as SSM when it comes to level design, the combat design alone should warrant at least 10-20 hours. Compare that to a chicken bowl at chipotle which costs $10 nowadays or even a mcdonalds combo which also costs $10, and its obvious that when it comes to entertainment, gaming is an incredibly cheap proposition.

k1g8shJ.jpg
You sound older what if your in your early 20s trying to build up

Kupfer

Disappointed Thinking GIF by Snowfall

My guess as to why this game exists:

• Sony needs to capitalize on the momentum of the TLoU series between the two seasons for profit.

• There is a new audience for the games that have been attracted by the series This audience may not know the gaming cosmos as well as we enthusiasts do.

• From the point of view of a newcomer to gaming, it is of course much better to have direct access to two games for the latest Sony console instead of seeing that the games are "old" when you are interested in buying them.

I suspect there will be a TLoU PS5 complete edition for the second season of the TV series. Of course, this complete edition will not be complete and will only contain some of the games on disc and a voucher for the rest, so that the second-hand market is weakened and more people have to buy the physical release or go straight for the digital version.

I really like both TLoU games, but fuck Sony and fuck ND for their greed.

Anyone who is thinking of buying this upgrade or even the full release should ask themselves very briefly whether they find these business practices worth supporting. "Just $10 here, just $10 there" is exactly what works and takes the wind out of our sails as consumers and passionate gamers when it comes to wishing for a better future for our hobby.

Last edited:
These consoles don't have the horsepower for that, unfortunately.

Gotta remember, the base PS4 version ran at 1080p/30fps. For 4k/60fps on PS5, you're asking for 4x the resolution and twice the framerate. So 8x the performance of the base PS4. And that's before taking into account all the other visual upgrades added with this version.

Just not happening.
The ps5 is actually close to 8x the base ps4 it just needs an engine tailor made for it which this game is clearly not on top of improving the settings (which would probably demand closer to 10x the grunt). I think the ps5 pro assuming it’s uncapped all the way to 120 can run at 4k 80-90 maybe 100 on average

If you've played TLOU PT2 at all for the first time, it was either at 1080p/30 or 1440p/30 on PS4/PS4 Pro respectively. Moving up to native 4K 40-60fps sounds awesome to me and would be my preference anyway.

Of course, if Naughty Dog ever implemented DRS into their engine, they could easily hit 1800-2160p/60fps on PS5. But now they probably won't need it with the ML upscaling coming in PS5 Pro :messenger_open_mouth:
Ml won’t be needed in the pro it will be straight 4k at around 80-100 fps (assuming it’s fully unblocked to 120 and not 60)

CGNoire

What a Joke.

They can take that price and shove it up there ass. Im not paying $10 extra just cause one of there Interns spent an afternoon Changing some Variables in a text file.

Last edited:
Top Bottom