• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

Onemic

Maybe you should check out the impressions thread. :p

Hm, that makes me feel a little better about my purchase. Thanks.

I think they said they were going to include both the battle systems from the Platinum demo and from Episode Duscae, and that they were going to let players choose between the two.

I liked the one in Ep Duscae way more than the other one exactly for the reason you mention.

If true, that settings is the first thing I will be looking for after booting the game.

What's the battle system in Ep Duscae like? I never played it.

It's reviewing better than I expected. I can now breathe a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge that the game isn't a shitshow despite the protracted development cycle. I had legitimate concerns after E3 that it would be a disaster.

Kalentan

I'm just getting into the series recently, but haven't FF stories not been fantastic for quite a few years now? It sounds like that series-wide decline plus the development trouble the game went through probably could account for that. That's a little disappointing since Kingsglaive and Brotherhood got me really invested in the story, but I'm still really excited to explore Eos.

FFXIV: Heavensward has an overall fantastic story.

The Dragonsong war was one of the best stories in FF imho.

King_Moc

Banned
PSY・S;225579174 said:
jsanxv.png

Scores like that were handed out to anything during that gen. Standards changed.

Skilletor

There's a bit of contraddictions imho. Almost all reviews praise the characters' growth and banter, yet dismiss the story has bad. Isn't that part of the story too?

You can have great characterization without a strong narrative.

This game has almost no narrative of which to speak, but the interactions between the bros are great. As a person that doesn't care about story in games, this is fine with me.

(I have played up through chapter 6.)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PSY・S;225579174 said:

Maybe it'll be fair if we compare it to the Zodiac Age version that'll come out next year. :)

What are you dare implying, sir? D:

We'll see with Zodiac Age!

I just read the gamekult review, it's in french. Never heard of this site, being french my self I find this review to be a joke. The way the writer communicates is simply hilarious. It's almost as if it's a teenager that wrote this, using words like BROMANCE when writing in french? Really? And yes french is my native language. I'm not mad at the score and normaly I don't write about reviews but this is a terrible one.

the world doesn't feel empty to me at all. A lot of gas stations and settlements. Obviously if you go to the midle of nowhere, there will be nothing, but even here, you see mosnters and whatnot.

I feel the game has a pretty awesome representation of reality in that regard.

Settlements that dosn't have any interiors and are basically identical to each other. And wow and open world RPG has enemies in the maps? Such a full world!

Link_enfant

It appears a Gamekult member has spoiled the ending in the review's comment section. God I hate myself for reading comments sometimes, especially knowing that there are a lot of stupid people there.
Has anyone been spoiled this way about FFXV?
Also, just to be sure, is
Luna's sacrifice
really important in the ending or will I still be able to enjoy it after reading that?

MattyG

Banned
Well when you get a decade of XIII the context to that statement becomes a bit special.
That's true. How was the story of XII and X?

FFXIV: Heavensward has an overall fantastic story.

The Dragonsong war was one of the best stories in FF imho.
I need to get back to XIV, I only hear great things. I played up to lvl 15 on two different characters and then just didn't have the time. Once I clear my backlog (if ever) it's gonna be my long-term "always playing" game.

Daft_Cat

From Eurogamer:

So the feeling I'm getting despite the gameplay criticisms(camera, depth), the open world + combat seems to offset a lot of the story shortcomings.
+ the characters being the deciding factor in how much resonance the game could have with different people.

To me, that's always been the norm for the series.

Final Fantasy narratives have always been burdened by unnecessary complexity (same goes for most JRPGs of that era). Yet in spite of being convoluted, they offer a framework for compelling characters and rich world-building, all of which combine to produce the sort of memorable moments the series is known for.

I'd put MGS and Kingdom Hearts in the same category, for what it's worth. Though I don't think Final Fantasy is quite so extreme =P.

Quonny

Grabbing the season pass version (20% off coupon). I feel like the last few months have done wonders for this game and if that's the direction they're heading I'm all in.

letting a stupid number control people like this is pretty sad to look at

remember when you bought a game just to play it, not caring about reviews.

Yep. Watching people watch reviews come in as if they're commentating a football game will never stop being weird to me.

But right on to those who love doing it, I guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What i like most is the overwhelming sense in the reviews that despite the clear issues present, the overall sum of its parts elevates it above.

THe game is a fun game people and clearly is better than FF13, truly the last 'numbered' FF game for a lot of people who don't play MMOs(dont kill me kagari)

Have there been a at least a couple JRPG's last generation, and this generation that's scored a 90+ on metacritic/opencritic? (Older touch ups like P4G don't count) Xenoblade is the only one i can think of that did it!

Persona 5 is the only JRPG i've seen in the span of two generations that could break through to that critical acclaim that JRPG's struggle to reach with critics nowadays.

Xenoblade Chronicles - 92
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 92
Dark Souls II - 91
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - 90

That's all I could find.

Edit: People keep quoting this, so swap out ToCS2 (which scored lower on Vita) for Bloodborne (92 MC).

LordKano

I just read the gamekult review, it's in french. Never heard of this site, being french my self I find this review to be a joke. The way the writer communicates is simply hilarious. It's almost as if it's a teenager that wrote this, using words like BROMANCE when writing in french? Really? And yes french is my native language. I'm not mad at the score and normaly I don't write about reviews but this is a terrible one.

The review is pretty good actually, with what you're saying I doubt you're neutral about this. "Bromance" is a common term when we talk about Final Fantasy XV, since its reveal in 2013.

It's useless to compare the MC score to previous FF games, especially XIII. Review standards have changed significantly. For the better. XV getting a 9 or 8/10 in 2016 is a much harder feat than it was even five years ago.

Threads like this remind me of what's wrong with metracritic: The scores are the most arbitrary part of the review, and numerically hold different value to different reviewers.

I've read reviews for this now in which a 7, 8, and 9 all seem to feel the same way about the game.

It's numbers without context, and mostly defeats the purpose of the actual review existing, if one might be lead to base their opinion of a game off of an average of unbalanced numbers.

Then again, I feel this way every meta critic thread (which is what it is when you discuss numbers rather than reviews).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Xenoblade Chronicles - 92
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 92
Dark Souls II - 91
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - 90

That's all I could find.

Lul how is this higher than sky. Anime was a mistake.
I'm being silly because score posts trigger me just a little bit

What i like most is the overwhelming sense in the reviews that despite the clear issues present, the overall sum of its parts elevates it above.

THe game is a fun game people.

That's what makes it sad in a way too because if it had that story that it deserves it could have been a masterpiece

This is a pretty disappointing reception for a series that was considered the benchmark for JRPGs. Considering how easily the gaming media hands out 9s and 10s to most AAA releases anything less than a 90 metascore should be considered below par.

X-2 is a great game so I'm happy with that.
I think X-2 is an amazing game and I feel often criticism it gets is focused more on simply disagreeing with the tone of the game over having legitimate criticism on the gameplay of the game.

This is a pretty disappointing reception for a series that was considered the benchmark for JRPGs. Considering how easily the gaming media hands out 9s and 10s to most AAA releases anything less than a 90 metascore should be considered below par.

If you want to pull away the context of what Square has gone through these past 7 years and the development process this game went through, it is easy to see where you are coming from. When you take a closer look at this situation and how 90% of games that get 9s a few months later are looked at as overrated, I think FFXV is sitting really pretty.

Top Bottom