• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

omAm38G.gif

iVrISKt.jpeg

16UcccX.jpeg

Currently, you can pre-order Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth from major retailers, such as Best Buy, GameStop, Amazon, and so on, to receive various bonuses. Specific retailers also have exclusive rewards that come with the pre-order to sweeten the deal.

4Cmf7sX.png

Amazon pre-orders of the JRPG will net you a controller skin with Cloud and Sephiroth, GameStop purchases offer a Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth hat, and Best Buy will provide a steel bookcase. Beyond these rewards, below is a rundown of what other bonuses gamers can get based on the Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth edition:

Standard Edition
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth copy
  • Complementary pre-order bonuses based on the retailer

Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Digital mini soundtrack
  • Digital art book
  • Magic Pot Summoning Materia
  • Accessory: Reclaimant Choker
  • Armor: Orchid Bracelet

Twin Package
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade copy

Digital Deluxe Twin Pack
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade copy
  • Digital mini soundtrack
  • Digital art book
  • Magic Pot Summoning Materia
  • Accessory: Reclaimant Choker
  • Armor: Orchid Bracelet

Collector’s Edition (Only purchasable from Square Enix Store)

• All rewards from Deluxe Edition
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Static Arts – Sephiroth statue

Q: When Does the Reviews for FFVII Rebirth Drop?
A: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Review Embargo is February 22 at 9AM ET

Attack of the Fanboy - Davi Braid - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Remake evoked all kinds of emotions in me, made me see my low-poly childhood friends as real people, and allowed me to once again be part of a grandiose, fate-challenging, god-defying adventure that I haven't experienced since the PS1 days.

But Why Tho? - Kyle Foley - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a grand adventure that, despite minor pacing issues, is incredibly engaging and exciting. There are so many discoveries waiting to be uncovered, and every inch of the game is dripping with love and care.

CGMagazine - Chris De Hoog - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth delivers upon Remake's thesis, increasing a classic's scale and character tenfold to create a new modern-day masterpiece.

COGconnected - James Paley - 95 / 100

This Final Fantasy VII project is a massive undertaking of an impossible scale. A single release stretched into three games? Preposterous. And yet, so far the team is totally nailing it. The first game was a smash hit, and Rebirth runs laps around it in almost every way.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth defies all expectations and is the new benchmark for what a remake should be. Bold and unapologetic with something to say but also true to its roots. I've loved, I've laughed and I've cried while playing this game and if you fall into the right crowd, you very will too. Provided is an unforgettable journey, a magnetic cast, and a world that is magic and an experience that is transcending. From combat to graphics to music to side activities to writing to performances, Rebirth is one for the books and I can't wait to see where we go from here.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Essential

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is incredible. I struggled to complete my review because I had so much fun working through each region in a nearly 100-hour playthrough. I dread waiting another four years for the finale but put my faith in Square Enix's hands. If Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth indicates what to expect going forward then I believe in the vision. The ending will be divisive for many people, but it means as much to the developers as it does to fans, and because of that idea, I walk away content with where we left off.

Dexerto - Cassidy Stephenson - 5 / 5

This is Game of the Year material and an exceptional follow-up to a revered first entry. It handles the beloved material with care while still establishing its own new voice, making for a stellar sequel.

Digitec Magazine - Kevin Hofer - German - Unscored

"Final Fantasy VII Rebirth" is everything I wish for in a remake as a fan of the original from the very beginning. A dream, but one that is real. "Rebirth" even surpasses the original - and I've only scratched the surface so far.

Easy Allies - Michael Damiani - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth breaks limits as one of the most ambitious RPGs ever made.

Eurogamer - Ed Nightingale - 4 / 5

Rebirth is a playful take on an emo classic that's bloated but full of character in a bid to justify its own existence.

Final Weapon - Noah Hunter - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a generational RPG that exemplifies everything there is to love about the medium. Featuring a colossal open world, a gripping narrative, beautifully written characters, and an out-of-this-world soundtrack, Rebirth is a title no RPG fan should pass up on. It's improved on nearly everything from its predecessor, offering a complete and flawless combat system alongside countless other additions. FFVII Rebirth is the shining jewel of modern Final Fantasy, a prime example of the series at its best.

GGRecon - Harry Boulton - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is one of my favourite games that I've played in a long time and does so much with its narrative that feels uncompromisingly ambitious and fresh.

Gamer Escape - Eliot Lefebvre - 8 / 10

Maybe it'd be nice to say that we all should have gotten over Final Fantasy VII by now instead of fawning over the world and its characters. But far from being the simple note-for-note reprise of the original that it could have been, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth swings for the fences to be a big and original thing that feels like a full game even while it is, functionally, the middle. It has weaknesses like combat I'm not wholly sold on and maybe a bit too much start-and-stop through gameplay, but if you've been looking forward to the game, you will not be disappointed. And if you want to experience the full story, this is a really good time.

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 9.5 / 10

With the core team assembled, Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth feels like embarking on a fantastic adventure with a gang of your best friends. More open, action-packed, and surprisingly funny, Rebirth gives players days of content and the freedom to pursue it, while still telling a wonderful and cohesive story. Every aspect of Remake has been examined, refined, and improved. This is the franchise's Empire Strikes Back, in all the best ways.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 10 / 10

The promise of those old, grand, globe-trotting Final Fantasy epics from the series' 16- and 32-bit heyday in AAA form has been fulfilled at last. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth finally realizes the series' central, implicit potential, looking to the past to pave the way for hopefully the start of a new golden age for the series.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 95 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is not only a worthy successor to Remake, but to the original title. With an incredible and multi-layered open-world, outstanding combat, and a heartfelt story that takes you on a beautiful scenic route, Rebirth reaches heights you'd need one wing to touch. Rebirth is special; First-Class in a way only the best Soldiers can be.

Hey Poor Player - Francis DiPersio - 5 / 5

It’s not often we see a Game of the Year contender so early in the year, but here we are. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an unforgettable follow-up to one of the finest remakes ever produced. Deftly building upon the rock-solid foundation of its predecessor, it evolves the combat and progression systems in subtle yet exciting ways while setting you loose in a massive world that you’ll want to explore to the fullest. With countless activities to keep you busy and a gripping story that will leave both Final Fantasy VII veterans and newcomers alike on the edge of their seats, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an unmissable adventure.
If you only buy one RPG this year, make it this one.

Infinite Start - Mark Fajardo - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth shines as a standout game of 2024, offering players an expansive and immersive experience that keeps them engaged from beginning to end. With a perfect mix of nostalgia and fresh innovations, Rebirth surpasses its predecessor in every way. From its stunning open-world exploration to its polished combat system and fun side activities, Rebirth sets a new benchmark for JRPGs. All these things combine to cement Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’s status as a must-play game that will likely remain one of the year’s best titles.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 5 / 5

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a remarkable sequel and one of the best RPGs of the generation. This new installment both respects and expands upon the original game’s story and legacy in a way that will please old-school fans while sowing some intriguing new narrative seeds for the final installment in this trilogy. I can’t wait to get my hands on whatever comes next – even if it takes another four years.

Multiplayer First - Dean James - 10 / 10

The gauntlet has already been thrown as a Game of the Year contender with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and it’s going to take one hell of a game to match its quality in 2024. The expanded story is riveting from start to finish, serving as essentially the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy. Even the smallest of sidequests can add something to the lore of the world or the overall narrative that you wouldn’t expect as well, making you want to complete everything the game offers. It is pretty amazing what Square Enix has managed to put together here with this Remake trilogy, and I cannot wait to see how they build on Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for the third and final chapter in what is setting up to be one of the greatest gaming trilogies of all time.

Noisy Pixel - Bailey Seemangal - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an exceptional sequel that surpasses expectations in nearly every aspect. It combines compelling storytelling, innovative combat, and a wealth of engaging content to deliver an unforgettable adventure. As a bold continuation of the saga, it sets the stage for the final installment, leaving fans eagerly awaiting what comes next. Square Enix has truly outdone itself, showcasing the depth and potential of the Final Fantasy VII universe.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 100 / 100

Quote not yet available

PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth takes the foundations of Remake and expands on them, adding more control to combat, more places to explore, and more ways to dig deeper into the world and the story it tells. Whether in Graphics or Performance Mode, the quality of the experience remains the same: top tier presentation with exceptional gameplay. Rebirth is an early shoe-in for Game of the Year.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10

I cherished almost every hour I spent with this sequel, and I’m already Buster Sword hilt deep in a second run on Hard. Rest assured, the phoenix rise of this remake is still soaring on an upward trajectory.

Prima Games - Meg Bethany Koepp - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth may just be the best video game of all time. Its fantastic story does wonders to make you care about each character while its phenomenal world is absolutely filled with endless activities to participate in when you need a break from the heartache. It's an improvement in every way imaginable, yet it never forgets the goofy charm that made the 1997 original a classic.

RPG Fan - Zach Wilkerson - 93%

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a fantastic game that is true to the spirit of the original while also carving its own path.

Shacknews - Jesse Vitelli - 8 / 10

While there is a lot to love in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, it left me disappointed in its main narrative. I wish it was more focused on telling the story set out in Remake and its constant need to push the kitchen sink into each plot beat wore on my resolve throughout the game.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 10 / 10

It may only be February, but I'm confident Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is going to be 2024's Game of the Year.

TechRaptor - Andrew Stretch - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth carries on the torch from Remake and delivers another incredible experience. The world of FFVII comes alive as you venture across it with Cloud and his party. Watching the story play out with gorgeous graphics and fantastic acting elevates the entire experience. This is a must play for Final Fantasy fans.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9.1 / 10

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH takes what made REMAKE work and expands on the formula in nearly every way imaginable from its rewarding combat and exploration to its absolutely hilarious humour. As a long-time fan, I'm incredibly happy with what it has to offer.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9.8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth knocks it out of the park. It takes the already excellent first game and expands it to a bigger and more populated world. The combat has been improved, the dungeon design is better, the story hits a lot more than it misses, and from start to finish, it was pretty much everything I could've wanted. Only a few nagging problems keep it from perfection, and it's a love letter to everything that makes Final Fantasy VII great.

XGN.nl - Luuc ten Velde - Dutch - 8.8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a triumph in many ways thanks to its story, a plethora of minigames, an improved fighting system and a sprawling open world full of activities that are fun and rewarding. The story dips a bit towards the middle though, while the new mechanic that tracks the relationships in the party is a bit unclear at times.

88wntdH.jpeg

final-fantasy-vii-cloud.gif
aerith-gainsborough-robert-pattinson.gif
OlsFb48.gif

whoischelsea-yuffie.gif
ffvii-rebirth-ffvii-rebirth-red-xiii.gif
sephiroth-remake-ending.gif
the-flash-zack-fair.gif

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Really hyped for this, it's already pre ordered but I won't touch it until I finish Infinite Wealth and possibly Yuffie Expansion.

I think.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Bought FFVII Remake Intergrade a few weeks ago but haven’t started it yet.

Trying my best to get through The Last of Us Part One before Unicorn Overlord launches … then there is Dragon’s Dogma 2 at the end of March … and I’m interested in Hellfivers 2 …

season 2 episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

And since picking up the ps5 a few months ago, I have the unhealthy urge to platinum trophy everything. Regardless I’m happy for everyone picking this up at launch. I’m gonna have to wait and hope shit doesn’t get spoiled for me.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I think review score wise will be almost the same to ff16, however long time ff fans will probably prefer rebirth way more.

Madflavor

I think review score wise will be almost the same to ff16, however long time ff fans will probably prefer rebirth way more.

My thoughts too. If the Demo (which I liked) was anything to go by, Rebirth will share some of the issues people had with Remake, and it’ll hurt its overall score. If history has taught us anything, Square are absolutely terrible when it comes to side quests. I think people who are waiting for a single player FF game to break the curse and finally hit 90 or above, will need to keep waiting.

86 - 89 is my prediction.

saintjules

Not that I listened to the 'don't pre-order' people, I weirdly thought I could grab the deluxe edition day 1. Shame on me as I can't find it anywhere. These alerts keep popping up saying they come in stock at target but they disappear quickly.

Mom and Pop store I know that breaks street dates said they don't know how many they will get so there may be a chance I can snag it early. Otherwise I'll just settle for the day one edition.

It's been 4 years since Remake. Ready for this.

Hunter 99

Bought FFVII Remake Intergrade a few weeks ago but haven’t started it yet.

Trying my best to get through The Last of Us Part One before Unicorn Overlord launches … then there is Dragon’s Dogma 2 at the end of March … and I’m interested in Hellfivers 2 …

season 2 episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

And since picking up the ps5 a few months ago, I have the unhealthy urge to platinum trophy everything. Regardless I’m happy for everyone picking this up at launch. I’m gonna have to wait and hope shit doesn’t get spoiled for me.
Hey dude,don't put too much pressure on platinum everything.it takes the fun out the experience. I get why you have the urge just getting your ps5 an all but just play the story mode,see the credits and forget all the meaningless busywork.
Guaranteed you will then find time to enjoy what your playing instead of ticking of a checklist instead of moving on from the current game.

Metnut

Can’t wait for this. Have a feeling this is going to review incredibly review and end up with an MC in the 93-96 range.

Have a preorder from Amazon for the Collector’s edition but they’ve given no ship date yet. Have time set aside on evening 3/1 to start and dig into this, so if Amazon can’t give me delivery by then, I might have to drive to GameStop and just get the regular version or even (gasp!) the digital version if I can’t find physical.

If Amazon doesn’t come through here, I’ll never preorder with them again.

XXL

I'm in regardless of reviews.

FF7R is one of my favorite games from last generation and I enjoyed it even more replaying it on PS5.

Katajx

Gold Member
I know it’s close, but I can’t believe the review embargo is almost hear. Just another week and a half to go.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
40 hours in Midgar was kinda garbage let's not 🧢

Do not regret making people on GAF mad years ago shitting on Remake. Still believe the Yuffie DLC was amazing compared to the mid ass main game.

But this time I hope the fans get what they want and are truly happy. It looks good but the UbiTowers portion is worrying. I'm in no rush to play it.

Last edited:
I really should give remake another try as FFVII is one of my favourite games. The padding was just so obnoxious, makes it hard to want to try again. That being said, this looks incredible and I know I'm going to need to have played the first before hoping into this.

Gexxy1

Gotta say, I'm loving the spoilers I've been seeing so far. Looks far better than I was expecting, so I'll probably pick this up after all.

Humdinger

Just wondering, can you understand and enjoy this game without having played the first one? Or do I have to play the first one first? I ask because I didn't play the first one, but I'm interested in playing the second (but not playing the first yet).

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I really should give remake another try as FFVII is one of my favourite games. The padding was just so obnoxious, makes it hard to want to try again. That being said, this looks incredible and I know I'm going to need to have played the first before hoping into this.

You can get caught up on YT.

Gexxy1

Just wondering, can you understand and enjoy this game without having played the first one? Or do I have to play the first one first? I ask because I didn't play the first one, but I'm interested in playing the second (but not playing the first yet).

I'd recommend playing the first one, but you can probably consider it more like a prequel like The Hobbit.

With how long Rebirth is supposed to be (100+ hours), they'll probably just recap what happens in Remake.

Humdinger

I'd recommend playing the first one, but you can probably consider it more like a prequel like The Hobbit.

With how long Rebirth is supposed to be (100+ hours), they'll probably just recap what happens in Remake.

I think I'm going to try to jump into the second game without having played the first. They will probably provide some kind of recap, like you say. Hopefully, I will be able to sort it out.

Elios83

The plot in the first part is not hard to be recapped, the story is relatively straightforward until the end.
But you're going to miss a lot in terms of connection with the characters, references, great moments etc. Many side characters are also returning.
So overall I'd say that it would be much better to play the original first.

Last edited:

saintjules

I think it's essential that you play the first game to understand what's going on, but if you really don't want to then watch a recap.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think it's essential that you play the first game to understand what's going on, but if you really don't want to then watch a recap.

Also, they really don't go in depth with tutorials about shit covered extensively in Remake, so you'd be picking up weapon skills, Summoning, commanding allies, materia, ability points, etc as well as learning all of the new mechanics.

Rebirth based on the demo is designed in a way that very much expects you to have at least played Remake.

Top Bottom