• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Score Prediction Thread

Where does the review aggregate score for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth lands at?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
qpCPjfO7.jpg

The reviews for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on PS5 will go live on February 22 at 9 AM ET so let's try to predict/discuss where the opencritic/metacritic score might land at. Of course, there will be a separate review thread once the embargo lifts so we'll use this one just for score predictions.

Go_Ly_Dow

5g8mxEN.png

FF7 Remake on PS5 had a very high user score and was just short of breaking the 90s on the critic front.

Assuming Rebirth addresses the criticisms of part 1 such as linearity/not enough exploration and has some more meaningful side content then I could see it scoring higher. Many went into Remake not expecting such changes to the story like we got and some docked it some points for this. With Rebirth the expectation should be set they're going to do new things with the story, so that shock factor (whether positive or negative) is removed going into it.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I would say 90+, but it may be a bit lower if they don't improve from what we seen on the demo, graphic wise.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I would say 90+, but it may be a bit lower if they don't improve from what we seen on the demo, graphic wise.
I don't think graphics matter and as a whole they look nice. Infinite Wealth on PS5 scored an 89, despite also being UE4 and having similar lighting and lower quality assets mixed in. That game also has some game pacing issues and some fan complaints, yet it has scored very well. Jedi Survivor was a tech disaster...

Games like these largely derive their scores from the quality of both the main scenario, map/world design and side content these days. As well as combat, soundtrack, art direction. I've had a blast with Infinite Wealth and everything I've seen from Rebirth looks a step or two higher as a UE4 title.

Last edited:

TheAssist

I'd say 86 to 90. Of course it will probably be higher for me personally, but too many people have a very different view on what FF7 should look like, you can not make them all happy. Some revierwers wont like the story changes, some might dislike the open worldiness of it or god forbid some will detract points for low res textures.

I am sure there will be lots of filler quests (go here kill that, get reward), I dont think they will manage a 180 on this front. Square has never been good with side quests in FF games. Its what I expect and I am kinda fine with it because I just want to spend time with the gang, but for reviewers who are not so deeply engrained with the franchise, this will definitively detract from the score.

Would be nice though to see it get the same praise as Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
81-85 for me, I fear the open world will bring some clunkyness to the mechanics introduced and overall pace of general progression and story.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I don't think graphics matter and as a whole they look nice. Infinite Wealth on PS5 scored an 89, despite also being UE4 and having similar lighting and lower quality assets mixed in. That game also has some game pacing issues and some fan complaints, yet it has scored very well.

Games like these largely deride their scores from the quality of both the main scenario, map/world design and side content these days. As well as combat, soundtrack, art direction. I've had a blast with Infinite Wealth and everything I've seen from Rebirth looks a step or two higher as a UE4 title.

I totally stand by you, it's just that when it comes to media review, they may very well bash on the technical side of the game if they're feeling too.

Sensei

I hope it breaks the 90 barrier, but I don't think it will get a free pass on the graphics issues (I don't think they'll be able to fix them by the release, if ever) and there will probably be too many reviews criticising the fact that that it's not faithful to the original.

So it will probably land in the 86-89 territory.

Last edited:

Skifi28

85-90, it'll be great, but I expect pacing issues, bugs and the like. Suddenly going open world is not easy.

Fbh

Mid 80's
+ Fun combat
+ Solid main story
+ Gold Saucer
- Pacing issues
- Bland side content (Gold Saucer aside)
- Lacking open world

saintjules

The most important score is your own. I'd rather see what people would give the game score wise versus metacritic and the like.

I want more Pros and Cons conversations versus numbers.

Fbh

- Graphically unimpressive for current gen only.

For users maybe. But unless the game is really broken and full of bugs critics don't seem to care too much about presentation.

You'll have games like Jedi Survivor launching with a 30fps full of drops or an ugly 720p performance mode that still drops frames like crazy and they'll be like "the performance is a bit lacking 9.5/10"

Last edited:

MikeM

85 minimum. I just hope perf mode is fixed up. I’d prefer not to wait for PC or a PS5 Pro patch.

Go_Ly_Dow

For users maybe. But unless the game is really broken and full of bugs critics don't seem to care too much about presentation.

You'll have games like Jedi Survivor launching with a 30fps full of drops or an ugly 720p performance mode that still drops frames like crazy and they'll be like "the performance is a bit lacking 9.5/10"
Yup precisely. Critics and the wider gaming audience cares much less about visuals than places like this! As I mentioned before Infinite Wealth is sitting at 89 despite its obvious issues and Jedi Survivor was a hot mess. Rebirth in the demo maintained both a solid 30 and 60fps which is what matters most.

Madflavor

Mid 80's
+ Fun combat
+ Solid main story
+ Gold Saucer
- Pacing issues
- Bland side content (Gold Saucer aside)
- Lacking open world

This. It's going to land somewhere between 86 - 89 imo. Modern day Square don't know how not to shoot themselves in the foot with one or two design choices that drag the game down. FFXIV is the one rare exception.

Reactions: Fbh

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I want to say 90…but I promise they will lock something, whether it be an achievement or item, behind a garbage ass computer cheats mini game like the pull ups in part 1, so I’ll probably give it an 80 tops.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I see it sailing around the low 90’s. 91-94 range. I have to wonder which game will stand out the most. Sequels can be better in a lot of ways. However, part 3 is going to have to have one hell of an epic battle at the end.

Top Bottom