• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoki Hamaguchi: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was made with the aim of achieving a rating of over 90 on Metacritic

Draugoth

Gold Member
At the exact moment of publication, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth boasts a Metascore of 93 on the Metacritic portal based on an incredible 113 positive reviews and no neutral or negative ones, which is quite an achievement for this day and age.

But the truth is that this has always been the developers' goal, according to Naoki Hamaguchi, the director of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, who shared on social media that the RPG was made with the aim of achieving a rating of over 90 on Metacritic.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was produced with the goal of surpassing 90. We want to express our gratitude again for the efforts of the development team, which resulted in incredible results.

We are also grateful for the support of the media, influencers, community, PR team and many others. Let's make the release date exciting together!!!

In another post on social media, Naoki Hamaguchi thanks players for the current score for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, along with an image from Metacritic.

High score guaranteed.

final-fantasy-vii-rebirth_20240211201250.png

final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-swimsuits.jpg

Last edited:

kyussman

I don't really understand how you make a game designed to score 90+........surely you just aim to make a great game and the reviews will take care of themselves.

kyussman

They have to have these sorts of metrics internally for performance review purposes.
So they could in theory make a game designed to score 70?.........why would you make a game designed to score 70,I'm obviously still not getting it,lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

FF is a very divisive series with each entry. FF7R with how it's reimagining the story is also very divisive. So, I think after 120 reviews holding a 93, with over 40 10/10s is very impressive all things considered.
Nostalgic IP + Open World = Easy 90

Oh really now?
HzE8I76.png

✅Nostalgic IP
✅Open World
✅10 years of anticipation with hype through the roof
❌81

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
FF is a very divisive series with each entry. FF7R with how it's reimagining the story is also very divisive. So, I think after 120 reviews holding a 93, with over 40 10/10s is very impressive all things considered.

Oh really now?
HzE8I76.png

✅Nostalgic IP
✅Open World
❌81
That game was released unfinished.

Not really giving credit to the game for what it does well. This is a cheap/lazy take
I'll see where you're at in a few weeks after the games release. 🧎‍♂️

why would you make a game designed to score 70
They don't specifically aim for 70, but they will bankroll and publish new I.P.s, ideas, and lower budget games at times that will help expand their portfolio even though they feel that the game might end up around 70s in score.

Example:
i-am-setsuna-lovely-jrpg-well-worth-your-time-before-it-v0-0v6k155iroec1.jpg

Last edited:

Oh really now?
HzE8I76.png

✅Nostalgic IP
✅Open World
❌81
I agree. But really enjoyed FF15 despite it's obvious flaws, music and ending were pretty memorable .It could have reached 90 if it didn't go through all the development hells and dramas.

So they could in theory make a game designed to score 70?.........why would you make a game designed to score 70,I'm obviously still not getting it,lol.
Nobody designs a game for 70 metascore. A lot of devs either aim high or dont think about it.

Am assuming they added “emotional”, “deep” moments to act as critic bait.

Who in the hell goes into making a game thinking "Right everyone, we're aiming for a 70 metascore here!", that's right nobody does.

Kumomeme

so we will see the result of game that aiming for gaming meta score.

i hope it not gonna be their future trend though. rating didnt tell whole story and could be bad influence for industry.

well atleast the over 90 rating should guarantee their staff bonus lol

Mephisto40

I wonder if any developer has ever made a game with the aim to get as low a metacritic score as possible

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I guess this means they will only lay off half of the staff when they finish the heavy lifting on the 3rd one.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean I don't think any big time devs ever say .." ehh let's aim for mid to lower 70s ".

Last edited:

Griffon

Nobody designs a game for 70 metascore. A lot of devs either aim high or dont think about it.
You'd be surprised.
Many devs are run with a very tight budget/deadline with no room for perfectionism let alone great quality. Most of those just hope to hit their intended playerbase and nothing more.
If the budget is low enough, making a good 7/10 is all they need to recoup.

Last edited:

killatopak

There's a difference between aiming a high score and not aiming at it.

Usually, the difference is a different focus. Focus on money. Maximizing earning every penny on your pocket. Maximizing engagement to keep you playing, to keep you paying. Battlepasses, lootbox, microtransactions are to be included from the start. That affects game design from the most fundamental level. Usually at the cost of the player. The most benign ones are just cosmetics while the worst are literally pay to win.

Top Bottom