• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I've been cleaning my house for christmas and found this obscure NES game that I completely forgot that I bought for 50,- NOK (~$5) a few summers ago at this huge ass flea market. Didn't think much of it at the time and put it away in a box where it's been gathering dust ever since.

Thought it might be of interest to you guys. I've never been the biggest gaming collector, mainly due to lack of disposable income. Didn't find much information online but it is kinda rare apparently, which was a pleasant surprise. I always evy people lucking out on rare retro games. Guess it was my turn this time, and I didn't even know it.

It's a pretty rare game, it's apparently based on a obscure Japanese title by KID. Great music too, even though the PAL cart plays the music a bit faster than the original.

OnPoint

Got my NES Mini. More of a novelty item for me but it's so cheap it's hard to complain. Impressions here if anyone's interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IO2l8hMVm0

Hoping Battletoads wins the vote for December. I've been practicing... Still can't beat it though

Hah shoot, I was supposed to end the voting like a week ago. Well, it doesn't matter. I'll close it now. Battletoads did win! I'll post the numbers later. That would be for January though. Get your cart now if you don't have it.

December is Crystalis. I'll have a post for it later today :)

Huggers

Hah shoot, I was supposed to end the voting like a week ago. Well, it doesn't matter. I'll close it now. Battletoads did win! I'll post the numbers later. That would be for January though. Get your cart now if you don't have it.

Oh! Well, glad it won. Underrated game. It's all good I have both of those so I'm all set

We briefly talked about Crystalis in Episode 2, maybe I can do a episode on it.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

Dracula, then Hitler? December's Club pick has a lot to live up to villain-wise!
One way or another, Bionic Commando is out, and SNK's Crystalis is in!
Hope you're ready for a heaping helping of top-down action-adventuring!​

YXKhRMv.png

Wiki wiki ya ya, ya ya:
The gameplay of Crystalis is similar to that of other action RPGs. The world is presented in a top-down perspective so the player can move smoothly in eight directions using the control pad. There are two action buttons; one is used for attacking with a sword, and the secondary button is mapped to a chosen action, such as a magical power or an item from the player's inventory. The start and select buttons bring up the status screen and the inventory menu, respectively. In addition, the player can equip various suits of armor and shields. Defeating monsters allows the player to gain experience points and levels, which boost his health, defense, and attack strength.​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.
November

And here's how we handled the tie for December...

December

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Use this site to check prices.

Selection Process
Games are nominated two months out (eg: if game is nominated in March, it will be the
game played in May). They can be nominated starting one day after the post for a
month's pick goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).

The first five games suggested after nominations open that have not yet been played,
and were not nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- November 2016 - Bionic Commando
- October 2016 - Castlevania
- September 2016 - Blaster Master
- August 2016 - Adventure Island
- July 2016 - Zanac
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand
- January 2016 - Rygar
- December 2015 - Super Mario 3
- November 2015 - Faxanadu
- October 2015 - Monster Party

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
GrBwstP.png

Dracula, then Hitler? December's Club pick has a lot to live up to villain-wise!
One way or another, Bionic Commando is out, and SNK's Crystalis is in!
Hope you're ready for a heaping helping of top-down action-adventuring!​

YXKhRMv.png

Wiki wiki ya ya, ya ya:
The gameplay of Crystalis is similar to that of other action RPGs. The world is presented in a top-down perspective so the player can move smoothly in eight directions using the control pad. There are two action buttons; one is used for attacking with a sword, and the secondary button is mapped to a chosen action, such as a magical power or an item from the player's inventory. The start and select buttons bring up the status screen and the inventory menu, respectively. In addition, the player can equip various suits of armor and shields. Defeating monsters allows the player to gain experience points and levels, which boost his health, defense, and attack strength.​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.
November

And here's how we handled the tie for December...

December

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

Your game of the month posts are always so hype, really looking forward to play and hopefully beat Crystalis for the first time!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I've been working through some video pinball for a video I'm doing, and I took a crack at Pinbot for the NES. I'm not going to be covering it in the video, because it's not terribly fun... but I was impressed by the split screen effect. Rare knew what they were doing.

https://youtu.be/ieOhVemaT7M

Also, I dug the main theme, so I ripped it.

What are some of your fave NES pinball titles? I think Rollerball by HAL is probably the best on the platform. Lovely main theme too.

Anyways, Crystalis? Fantastic game and still holds up extremely well today. Summer '90 was a great summer between that and FF1. I'd love to see what first-timers think.

StevieWhite

What are some of your fave NES pinball titles? I think Rollerball by HAL is probably the best on the platform. Lovely main theme too.

Anyways, Crystalis? Fantastic game and still holds up extremely well today. Summer '90 was a great summer between that and FF1. I'd love to see what first-timers think.

Tbh, I kind of dig the physics on Nintendo's Pinball. I just played it side by side with Alien Crush for the TG16, and good ol' Pinball definitely "feels" more like real pinball. Not to say that Alien Crush isn't great in its own right.

Boring choice, but I love it.

OnPoint

Not Pinball Quest. I think it's a cool idea that plays kinda garbage.

Peltz

Not Pinball Quest. I think it's a cool idea that plays kinda garbage.
Hey, I love Pinball Quest! It's one of my favorite RPG genre mashups. I beat it recently and think it holds up once you get accustomed to the odd physics.

If you're expecting it to play like real pinball you'll be disappointed. But if you accept it as it's own thing, you'll find a really great game to play with its own unique rules/controls.

D.Lo

Game Boy was always the pinball king for me. Revenge of the Gator, Kirby's Pinball. And later Metroid Pinball on DS.

That said Nintendo's Pinball on Fami/NES is solid and fun. And a small box pulse cart, as it's one of the first 12 games ever!

BTails

Game Boy was always the pinball king for me. Revenge of the Gator, Kirby's Pinball. And later Metroid Pinball on DS.

Kirby's Pinball and Pokemon Pinball were my JAM back in the day. Never got into pinball on the NES, though recently I just played a bit of the original Black box "Pinball", and really enjoyed it.

Off topic, I played FAR too much "Balls of Steel" on PC too.

galvatron

Hi guys...decided not to dignify the "NES is too old" thread with a response and just show up here. I actually started messing around with crystalis a week or so ago without knowing you guys would focus on it. Glad it's an action RPG as turn-based stuff from that era is usually pretty dull for me.

EDIT: You guys did the guardian legend and shatterhand? Those are my top 2 to replay when I'm in an NES mood. First game I beat on my AVS was shatterhand.

OnPoint

Hi guys...decided not to dignify the "NES is too old" thread with a response and just show up here. I actually started messing around with crystalis a week or so ago without knowing you guys would focus on it. Glad it's an action RPG as turn-based stuff from that era is usually pretty dull for me.

EDIT: You guys did the guardian legend and shatterhand? Those are my top 2 to replay when I'm in an NES mood. First game I beat on my AVS was shatterhand.

Welcome! You did well coming here. That thread is a mess and I'm not even going to bother arguing with people about things in there. Some people just don't like old games for whatever reason.

Battletoads is next month, so get your cart if you haven't already :)

galvatron

Welcome! You did well coming here. That thread is a mess and I'm not even going to bother arguing with people about things in there. Some people just don't like old games for whatever reason.

Battletoads is next month, so get your cart if you haven't already :)

GAF has a real (typically uninformed) bias towards SNES. I'm surprised krejlooc still has the patience to discuss it...

Still got my Battletoads cart. I beat the suction-cup cycles once back in the 90s and that's as far as I got...Hopefully I'll be able to get to the end.

Morfeo

Welcome, always so cool to have new faces in here! Be sure to post some impressions of Crystalis. I am trying to participate both in this and the Genesis-club, and started there, but definitely going to play Crystalis as well.

OnPoint

So quick update on my Famicom Disk System saga. Got the new RAM adapter and it's still not working. Someone in the know said that it sounds like my belt has snapped. So I've ordered belts and will have to attempt a replacement. Wish me luck!

Lothar

Banned
Everyone here will realize that it's not impossible hard or frustrating hard, it's just satisfying hard. Everyone here will be able to beat it without cheats. (Just maybe not in the first 10-50 tries)

Timu

Everyone here will realize that it's not impossible hard or frustrating hard, it's just satisfying hard. Everyone here will be able to beat it without cheats. (Just maybe not in the first 10-50 tries)
I've already put more tries than that years ago to master many of the levels(and not using warps of course since I never, ever use warps).

BTails

I always use the warp on the Turbo Tunnel... Not becasue the Turbo Tunnel is hard (It's actually pretty easy, and the warp is RIGHT at the end), but because I hate that stupid ice level. There's one jump I always screw up.

Morfeo

So quick update on my Famicom Disk System saga. Got the new RAM adapter and it's still not working. Someone in the know said that it sounds like my belt has snapped. So I've ordered belts and will have to attempt a replacement. Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Looking forward to this as well.

Voliko

Only participated once during Monster Party month but I am in for Battletoads. Such a great and sinister game with some truly intense moments :)

I love the surfing level. The movement feels really fluid and unique, hopping on the surface of the water. When the screen starts flying by at a ridiculous clip and the pumping music is going, and there's all those mines around and then BAM you are onto the snake lvl. Or dead.

BTails

Until Clinger Wingers lol

Clinger Wingers and Rat Race are the two that get me every time. I used to hate Volkmire's Inferno, but just like the Turbo Tunnel, the more you p[lay the level, the easier it becomes.

Man... You know the club has picked a popular/controversial game when we're discussing it a full month before it's allotted time! So, how about that Crystalis?

So, how about that Crystalis?

Yeah, I've actually been playing this one for once! It's good. It triggered a memory for me, too. I recall a friend bringing this game to a sleepover at my house when it was new. We were in elementary school. It seemed so much like the original Zelda but ... better in SOME ways, like graphics and true RPG trappings, etc. You have to remember that this was just after the 88-89 period where nearly every sequel was a major departure from previous games in a series. So seeing this kind of true iteration really made me realize for the first time how a game/genre could be refined.

Anyway, I'm still at the swamp. I'm trying not to use a walkthrough but I have to check every now and then to speed things up since I'm so limited in my time these days. I've had the overworld theme in my head for days now...

Timu

Clinger Wingers and Rat Race are the two that get me every time. I used to hate Volkmire's Inferno, but just like the Turbo Tunnel, the more you p[lay the level, the easier it becomes.

Man... You know the club has picked a popular/controversial game when we're discussing it a full month before it's allotted time! So, how about that Crystalis?
To me Rat Race isn't so bad except for the 3rd rat...I mastered that stage and find it one of the more fun stages in the game.

OnPoint

Yeah, I've actually been playing this one for once! It's good. It triggered a memory for me, too. I recall a friend bringing this game to a sleepover at my house when it was new. We were in elementary school. It seemed so much like the original Zelda but ... better in SOME ways, like graphics and true RPG trappings, etc. You have to remember that this was just after the 88-89 period where nearly every sequel was a major departure from previous games in a series. So seeing this kind of true iteration really made me realize for the first time how a game/genre could be refined.

Anyway, I'm still at the swamp. I'm trying not to use a walkthrough but I have to check every now and then to speed things up since I'm so limited in my time these days. I've had the overworked theme in my head for days now...

I'll be popping Crystalis in pretty soon. I've been busy trying to launch my company's next venture but I think it's finally off and running haha

Morfeo

Anyway, I'm still at the swamp. I'm trying not to use a walkthrough but I have to check every now and then to speed things up since I'm so limited in my time these days. I've had the overworld theme in my head for days now...

Nice to hear. I played it last year but came to the mountain only before my save got wiped. Wont join here before a week from now or so, but this time my plan is to complete it. It was sadly never released here back in the day, so i didnt know about it before the days of emulator when i checked out basically every nes/snes/mega drive game for like five minutes each. Those were the days :)

Got to the bug boss in the forest/swamp. Pretty tough to nail his weak spot between his blasts - it's a small target and you have a very short window of opportunity to hit it between his shots at you.

Something weird happened to me. I got poisoned and didn't have an antidote. I was flush with money from grinding and decided I would use my only pair of warp boots to go back to the first town and stock up on cheap stuff. I got there and the place was deserted! Used telepathy on the rabbit in the barn to learn that the place had been attacked. No boots left and no one to buy them from ... so I slowly died of poisoning in a ghost town.

OnPoint

Got to the bug boss in the forest/swamp. Pretty tough to nail his weak spot between his blasts - it's a small target and you have a very short window of opportunity to hit it between his shots at you.

Something weird happened to me. I got poisoned and didn't have an antidote. I was flush with money from grinding and decided I would use my only pair of warp boots to go back to the first town and stock up on cheap stuff. I got there and the place was deserted! Used telepathy on the rabbit in the barn to learn that the place had been attacked. No boots left and no one to buy them from ... so I slowly died of poisoning in a ghost town.

Haha that sounds so tragically epic for an NES game

Morfeo

Lol, made for a great story though!

AmyS

I've been wanting to get ahold of early previews of NES Metal Gear II: Snake's Revenge.

I was somewhat surprised that I found one good preview from Electronic Gaming Monthly, but that seems to be it. There does not seem to be a fact-file or a Review Crew review, but I only looked for a few minutes so could've easily missed some.

075BP5t.jpg

Game Pro had a Proview, wasn't hard to find.

Nintendo Power.

Game Players.

The graphic design in Nintendo Power is just so stellar. Japanese design sensibilities really show throughout. No wasted space but it does not seem cluttered. I just love it.

BTails

I really need to play Snake's Revenge. When I was younger, I avoided it like the plague, as it wasn't a "true Metal Gear game". I remember being really excited when i got an MSX2 emulator working with the translation patches of the original MG and MG2.

Now though, I have to say it looks pretty great. It's interesting to see a completely different team create a sequel to the orignial, how they changed things, and emulated Kojima's style. Plus, being a Konami game, I bet the music's hot fire.

Lothar

Banned
Best thing about Nintendo Power is it told you what games you needed to play. I bought Mega Man 2, Duck Tales, Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, and Startropics as a kid under the age of 10 because they were NP covers.

Best thing about Nintendo Power is it told you what games you needed to play. I bought Mega Man 2, Duck Tales, Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy, and Startropics as a kid under the age of 10 because they were NP covers.

Even hidden gems got shine. Like, Metal Storm even got a cover.

Voliko

that's amazing

Top Bottom