• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

noomi

It's a unanimous vote that this is the best 4K gaming television in the low 1000 price range?

Yes.

Not just far gaming either, it's a great TV overall. The best $900 I had spent in many years.

I remember spending nearly $2,500 for a 1080p TV over 5 years ago, so you can imagine how happy I am with this purchase :p

Heel

This is what people should be using to measure sharpness or something similar, do you see an improvement in picture quality from 0?

I saw such a minuscule improvement from going from 0 to 15. Maybe the smallest text sharpened up a bit staring at it from point blank range?

I was approaching it very conservatively knowing it's a 1080p test pattern being scaled up as it is, trying to reach a setting that wouldn't introduce any artifacting to the pattern and still be "better than nothing" if I'd left it at 0. Wouldn't even say anyone closer to 30 sharpness is wrong. The scale is very fine.

I was mainly doing it to carry over to my Comcast input, which was looking really soft at 0 displaying 720p for sports stuff.

Ryuukan

I updated via USB to 1154 and it looks like the TV stays at 20 backlight after I quit FFXV in HDR

Ive only just got this set so I could be doing something wrong

kagete

So has anyone successfully gotten a refund from Samsung?

My EPP order needs to be returned and Samsung doesn't ship a replacement. So now I have to wait 3 days to get a shipping label, and i will only get my refund 5-7 business days after they confirm receipt at their warehouse. The rep on the line said it could be 3-4 weeks before I get my refund so i should just order a new TV now.

But the EPP price is long gone, and the 65KS8000 is out of stock on Samsung.com until Jan. 2017. The same TV is now $1700 at bestbuy as well. Meanwhile I have to pay my credit card bill and hope I get refunded soon.

I'm never buying a big TV from online again if it's not from a store like Amazon that has excellent customer service. I hope everyone here is enjoying their sets. Sorry for being a bummer!

noomi

I updated via USB to 1154 and it looks like the TV stays at 20 backlight after I quit FFXV in HDR

Ive only just got this set so I could be doing something wrong

Hmm... it should be the opposite. When an HDR game is enabled backlight should automatically shoot up to 20, and when HDR is stopped it should be back down to whatever value you had set previously.

*edit*

Doesn't look like this is fixed according to Samsung forums :(

What you are seeing there is not ringing produced by sharpness but rather the aliasing the image is producing because of added clarity, "0" is the incorrect setting for this TV, it is actually smearing the image at "0" AVSforum has a section in the ks8000 thread on this.

"Sharpness: This applies a sharpening filter to the image to bring out edges in an image. In all modes outside of PC mode, any value above 0 will apply this filter. You will likely start seeing sharpening artifacts if this value is above 20. Recommended values: 0-20 (rtings.com: 0). In PC mode, the recommended value is 50, which is the true image. Higher values will apply a sharpening filter, while lower values will apply a blurring filter."

It's not debatable, yes, you will get no artifacts with "0" but that will be the case all the way up to 20, at "0" you lose image fidelity, you need to test your sharpness with a sharpness test pattern.

None of these sites, ratings, av forums digital foundry apparently feel the need to test sharpening using a actual sharpening test, instead opting for "0" as neutral which has been shown over the years to be incorrect with numerous TV's.

I was putting the sharpness up to 17 in that video and seeing ringing. It was ringing. Look at the forehead. It doesn't come out as clear in the video as it does in person but it definitely was there.

Can you link to AVSForum discussions about this? I'm mighty skeptical based on the fact that I saw ringing at sharpness 17. Also, I haven't messed around with sharpness test patterns-- can you send me towards one?

edit: did some searching around AVSForum and general consensus I'm seeing there is same as rtings. 0.

Heel

Hmm... it should be the opposite. When an HDR game is enabled backlight should automatically shoot up to 20, and when HDR is stopped it should be back down to whatever value you had set previously.

*edit*

Doesn't look like this is fixed according to Samsung forums :(

Bummer. Sounds like owners need to start making some noise to get this fixed.

Aske

I saw such a minuscule improvement from going from 0 to 15. Maybe the smallest text sharpened up a bit staring at it from point blank range?

I was approaching it very conservatively knowing it's a 1080p test pattern being scaled up as it is, trying to reach a setting that wouldn't introduce any artifacting to the pattern and still be "better than nothing" if I'd left it at 0. Wouldn't even say anyone closer to 30 sharpness is wrong. The scale is very fine.

I was mainly doing it to carry over to my Comcast input, which was looking really soft at 0 displaying 720p for sports stuff.

The way you're supposed to do it is to turn the sharpness way up, and then bring it down until the rings totally disappear. If you're being too conservative, you're actually still artificially softening the image at 17 - it goes both ways, although like you I'd much rather have an image be too soft than surrounded by rings.

I'd imagine that Samsung will have put 0 softening at a round number like 20 or 30. I see ringing over 22, so I'd assume it's 20. I'd love a confirmation from Samsung.

Heel

The way you're supposed to do it is to turn the sharpness way up, and then bring it down until the rings totally disappear. If you're being too conservative, you're actually still artificially softening the image at 17 - it goes both ways, although like you I'd much rather have an image be too soft than surrounded by rings.

I'd imagine that Samsung will have put 0 softening at a round number like 20 or 30. I see ringing over 22, so I'd assume it's 20. I'd love a confirmation from Samsung.

Yeah, having tinkered with it last night I would guess the true number is somewhere around 20-30.

Might play around with it some more tonight. Part of the fun of owning a new TV, at least to me.

Are there free or cheap UHD resolution test patterns on the net anywhere? Would be a good resource for this thread.

ponziacs

Banned
Mine had light bleed on the bottom left so I sent in a refund request last Monday with pictures and a week later no response and this is after 2 followup emails and a call.

Since I purchased at EPP pricing I was able to sell the TV for only a small loss and yes I pointed out the light bleed to the buyer.

kagete

Mine had light bleed on the bottom left so I sent in a refund request last Monday with pictures and a week later no response and this is after 2 followup emails and a call.

Since I purchased at EPP pricing I was able to sell the TV for only a small loss and yes I pointed out the light bleed to the buyer.

Ouch. There's speculation that Samsung sold their "B-" panels on the EPP sale and that's why we're seeing $500+ discounts and then subsequent reports of customers receiving damaged or subpar TVs.

Ouch. There's speculation that Samsung sold their "B-" panels on the EPP sale and that's why we're seeing $500+ discounts and then subsequent reports of customers receiving damaged or subpar TVs.

Yeah, this is some pretty big speculation...with that said though, my panel came with a nice cluster of dead pixels.

I shipped it back and just reordered it. Their whole return procedure takes forever and they told me that I wouldnt be able to price match it to my original purchase price until after it ships.....which is friggin ridiculous. If it wasnt such a huge price difference, I wouldnt have bothered buying it direct from Samsung again.

ponziacs

Banned

I think I'm done with Samsung TVs for a while. I sold my non HDR 4k Sony 810c last month and when I compare the 2 I actually think the 810c has better picture quality sans the HDR.

I regret selling my 4k 810c to jump on the HDR bandwagon since the picture quality on it was so good and also since it has Android TV with PS Vue which saves energy and can use the TV remote.

I'm pretty sure 0 is the image the console puts out. What we're seeing is the artifacts being minimal 0-10 but then they start to become visible. sharpening destroys AA so it's not surprising it starts to get worse when you bump sharpness up.

Clockwork

Btw, installed the 1154 firmware update amd watched some HDR content on YouTube. Simply amazing and in some ways better showcase than Netflix (probably due to higher bandwidth/bitrate)

Only gripe is it doesn't tell me that an HDR video is playing, but the backlight does adjust automatically.

spannicus

Shit i think my tv is perfect its even better for the price i paid for it. Honestly i cant find anything wrong with it and im not gonna go hunting too much for things either.

Aske

I'm pretty sure 0 is the image the console puts out. What we're seeing is the artifacts being minimal 0-10 but then they start to become visible. sharpening destroys AA so it's not surprising it starts to get worse when you bump sharpness up.

That's honestly not the case. Use a test pattern with lots of lines. The ringing disappears, and the lines soften and blur. See the sharpness calibration video Phil0sophy posted earlier:

https://youtu.be/rnAaqy7mRLQ
(Skip ahead to 2:30)

MazeHaze

Banned
I think I'm done with Samsung TVs for a while. I sold my non HDR 4k Sony 810c last month and when I compare the 2 I actually think the 810c has better picture quality sans the HDR.

I regret selling my 4k 810c to jump on the HDR bandwagon since the picture quality on it was so good and also since it has Android TV with PS Vue which saves energy and can use the TV remote.

I dunno man. To each their own I guess, but my buddy has the 810c, and I thought my 850d was better than that, and the ks8000 smokes the shit out of both tbh.

kagete

Shit i think my tv is perfect its even better for the price i paid for it. Honestly i cant find anything wrong with it and im not gonna go hunting too much for things either.

Nice to hear. Mine would have been great except for my little bubble which is driving my wife nuts.
VJBGYe2-io6arNhuuNq7JJ05JnF2XCTOd2epJ0U08aAb8FG4jxxt9AHWFI4Y84ELLaW03xQ9GhwHC2BWONNQ0gxDHHnvFDEeSaDh9rpNOk6Ls0wtrAJUbjYGRyrjQ2Bt_y9Wu1aI-Y3hVMPKCzgTCAS0F7xaq9Hc6xRv_zmSWW7psgUamAGnQkHAU7KErtzJNOgbukc_zu6ECWSJROwCoyxIjdkAr-vUrw83k7OGgQplMZT73qPfwPh76LbPJT6R_XkvyE3MFGZuPSaiCSYI4htxI-fnc57buBf7XYLC4nA3Sflctl0CKVudGgPsEpXjNRhEV5-zGUzZRmp2jV-ktRug2LLGZdGTNTnJ9jKX6gHblBDKlJwd7N1I3sgT-cqh4hzVGVlG_gpL26iC-48pr_juQDD_JcPKbNaQK6VysFkXw501sVvk4eY5NU0breHeGncrntRj4NJzkROlYWp-tZnxxxHMlRwk2Lz-6f5uyEjf6lyjUVvJcyfaael5od0oZ-p-WCLSreNvC0sWwa6r648gEl65byqC5qhV2SRvqK2v39aPAn4FqmOaHJWXsUKO6RKYi0E=s1356-w1356-h1015-no

Heel

Feel like I got really lucky with my 55" AA02 panel after seeing all these problems in the thread. Looks perfect to me.

If anyone's looking at getting a replacement, maybe look for an AA02 if possible.

kagete

What are you gonna do about it? Sure youre gonna get another right?

I'm trying to return it but haven't heard back yet. I want to get another one but with the EPP pricing gone I can't really pull the trigger on $1300+tax from Samsung, shipping Jan 2017 or $1700+tax from Best Buy, when my refund from Samsung might not get to me for another month.

Ronin Ray

So before I could control my Xbox one s with the remote for watching movies but now I get not available. I love the TV but there is a lot of little quirks

Haines

Banned
Can anyone help on last guardian

How do i play this on 1080p on my pro/4k?

I switch to 1080p, go in game, than switch to 2160 rgb? Not 2160 y20?

Haines

Banned
Why would you do anything beyond the first step?

It was said in the video that switching it after gives you the downscaling effect.

Ill link the video. I was just suprised he switched to rgb but maybe that is correct? Anyone can confirm i should be using rgb on this tv?

https://youtu.be/rg48KvAVakQ

Im going to try the 4k mode but im guessing from word that the 1080p mode just runs better and you barely lose picture quality in this game.

i ordered my tv on black friday got a shipping noticed label was created monday the 26th of nov since then iv gotten no updates. Contacted Samsung several times and today was on conference with samsung asnd ups. Ups said they would get back to me withen 1 hour which was 6 hours ago. I am not sure what to do. I feel like im getting the run around.

I have a couple questions. The op says to set color depth to 10 on the Xbox one. Could anyone explain why it should be on 10 and not 12? Also, I was under the impression that the bug was fixed where the backlight didn't ramp up to 20 on hdr games. It ramps up just fine for me using the Tvs youtube app. Should I still manually change to brightness to 20 on hdr games? I'm on 1152 btw

Can anyone help on last guardian

How do i play this on 1080p on my pro/4k?

I switch to 1080p, go in game, than switch to 2160 rgb? Not 2160 y20?

From what I remember from the Digital Foundry video, there is no in game switching. You have to close the game (possibly through the home menu/close application), change PS system settings to 1080p, then launch it again.

Rbk_3

I got my AA02 professionally calibrated this weekend.

A few interesting things. He set contrast to 84 for SDR because higher really shifted the higher range of the greyscale to a pinkish hue and found 93 was best for HDR as 100 caused way too much clipping. Also the 10% window maxed out at 1605 nits. Rtings FA01 maxed out at 1431.

ss_lemonade

To the ones who ordered via EPP, how long did it even take you guys to receive your TV? I'm still waiting for mine (ks9000), feels like forever. I only did the standard free shipping option but my order apparently shipped from LA last November 25 and supposedly arrived in the area last Wednesday. Unfortunately, I just found out today after calling the local AGS office that the TV never even left California :(. The one that arrived at the local office was the bluray player I ordered together with the TV. They didn't even know why and had to shoot the CA office an email to ask them to deliver the TV now.

Clockwork

I have a couple questions. The op says to set color depth to 10 on the Xbox one. Could anyone explain why it should be on 10 and not 12? Also, I was under the impression that the bug was fixed where the backlight didn't ramp up to 20 on hdr games. It ramps up just fine for me using the Tvs youtube app. Should I still manually change to brightness to 20 on hdr games? I'm on 1152 btw

1) The panel is 10 bit. If you choose 12 bit the tv will try to process it using 10 bit + dithering.

2) There has been no fix and your brightness will not change automatically if the TV is in game mode

3) Yes, increase the backlight manually when in HDR mode

4) The newest firmware (at least in the US) is 1154.

1) The panel is 10 bit. If you choose 12 bit the tv will try to process it using 10 bit + dithering.

2) There has been no fix and your brightness will not change automatically if the TV is in game mode

3) Yes, increase the backlight manually when in HDR mode

4) The newest firmware (at least in the US) is 1154.

Thanks so much for the quick answers! I love this community!

A few interesting things. He set contrast to 84 for SDR because higher really shifted the higher range of the greyscale to a pinkish hue and found 93 was best for HDR as 100 caused way too much clipping.

<Nods head> Just as I thought. I saw the (bogus?) results from the WoW disc and XB1 tests first hand but in actual viewing 100 is too high on my set. (AA02) Bright whites are super bright, almost blinding. It may just be panel variations that cause these discrepancies with other posters. FA01 panels may be fine at 100.

The real question is: what did he set your sharpness to?

Rbk_3

<Nods head> Just as I thought. I saw the results from the WoW disc and XB1 first hand but in actual viewing 100 is too high on my set. (AA02) It may just be panel variations that cause these discrepancies with other posters.

The real question is: what did he set your sharpness to?

He set it to 10.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
OK so I just got my KS8000 -- really impressed! Only thing that I can complain about is when the screen goes dark I can see patches of white. I realize this problem is native to the display and probably its main drawback, correct?

I went ahead and set up the Digital Foundry recommended settings and I can tell a BIG difference with 4K and HDR. The colors look washed out on non-HDR modes, and 4K makes the image incredibly clean.

Are there any other settings I need to be aware of that Digital Foundry didn't tweak? Or perhaps I should tweak differently? Backlight brightess at 20 seems rather high, but maybe it's for the best.

Rbk_3

OK so I just got my KS8000 -- really impressed! Only thing that I can complain about is when the screen goes dark I can see patches of white. I realize this problem is native to the display and probably its main drawback, correct?

I went ahead and set up the Digital Foundry recommended settings and I can tell a BIG difference with 4K and HDR. The colors look washed out on non-HDR modes, and 4K makes the image incredibly clean.

Are there any other settings I need to be aware of that Digital Foundry didn't tweak? Or perhaps I should tweak differently? Backlight brightess at 20 seems rather high, but maybe it's for the best.

My screen is completely uniform when it goes black. The one I had before it was like yours and I sent it back.

Backlight should only be at 20 for HDR content.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

A few interesting things. He set contrast to 84 for SDR because higher really shifted the higher range of the greyscale to a pinkish hue and found 93 was best for HDR as 100 caused way too much clipping. Also the 10% window maxed out at 1605 nits. Rtings FA01 maxed out at 1431.

I eyeballed it on mine and ended up at 84 contrast for the exact same reason. Are your reds accurate?

Top Bottom