• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 is PC Gamer's Game of the Year 2016

http://www.pcgamer.com/game-of-the-year-2016-dishonored-2/

This is PC Gamer's overall 2016 Game of the Year, chosen by the staff through voting and debate, with commentary written by its biggest proponents. We'll be posting the rest of our awards and personal picks daily as we approach the end of the year.

Chris Thursten: Arkane are creating a design legacy worthy of Looking Glass or Ion Storm—appropriate, given that they're doing more than any other studio to carry the legacy of Thief and System Shock into the modern era. Yet for all that Dishonored 2 owes to the PC's long history of superlative stealth sims, it's also a true original. Its fantastic movement systems and dynamic violence can trace their lineage back to Arkane's underrated Errol Flynn-em-up Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, while its artistic direction ignores games entirely and looks to traditional art and real history. I suspect that I'd love this game for its sense of place even if I didn't love it for the freedom it gives me to approach encounters in my own way.

Andy Kelly: The sheer artistry on display in Dishonored 2 is astonishing. Arkane excels at making worlds that feel organic, storied with history and culture, and Karnaca is its greatest creation yet. It's both a convincing, beautifully realised setting and a detailed, intricate playground for Corvo and Emily's suite of imaginative supernatural powers. From Kirin Jindosh's magnificent Clockwork Mansion, whose opulent rooms shift and fold away at the pull of a lever, to the faded beauty of the storm-choked Dust District, it's an incredible artistic accomplishment. The game is, throughout, a perfect marriage of art and design, using its architecture to both evoke a rich sense of place and give you multiple ways to navigate and exploit its sprawling, complex levels.

more opinions at the link

update:

Game of the Year 2016: Dishonored 2
Best Strategy Game: XCOM 2
Best Puzzle Game: The Witness
Best Shortform Game: Inside
Best Racing Game: Forza Horizon 3
Best Writing: Firewatch
Best Expansion: Blood and Wine
Best Comeback: Doom
Best RPG: Darkest Dungeon
Best Setting: Dark Souls 3
Best Shooter: Titanfall 2
Spirit of the PC: Stardew Valley
Best Multiplayer: Overwatch

The game is such a shitty technical state should never be GOTY. NEVER.

Well I'm hoping it will eventually be half decent with patches, similar to Batman AK, when/if it does I'll definitely buy it and enjoy it as it should have been when launched.

..until then, I'm staying away from it.

Jtrizzy

Wish I could actually play it on pc lol. Seems odd to give a game with such terrible performance goty on pc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dark Souls 3 got robbed.

Robbed Software.

Edit: Actually, over DOOM? Doom is where it's at though.
Yeah, Dishonored 2 is amazing but...Doom takes it for me.

I think it's a better example of a PC game too. Even if the quality between the two was equal, Doom is an insanely well optimized PC game that looks incredible while Dishonored 2 is one of the worst performing PC titles of the year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PC Game of the Year
, but you should probably play it on consoles.

If you're primarily a PC gamer, odds are that you can get away with at least 30fps, which no longer results in significantly longer load times. It's just a consistent 60fps that's still an issue for all but particularly high-end systems. The current theory is that all of the texture transcoding settings are rolled into the texture quality setting and this can create a CPU bottleneck if the option you've selected is too high, plus unlike Rage, Doom and I think the Wolf14 games, it's not possible to offload transcoding to a CUDA-supporting Nvidia GPU. The good news is that there's not actually much of a difference between Medium and Ultra textures (last I checked, anyway).

Koobion

I think it's a better example of a PC game too. Even if the quality between the two was equal, Doom is an insanely well optimized PC game that looks incredible while Dishonored 2 is one of the worst performing PC titles of the year.

Exactly. Doom's optimization all around is fantastic. It's great on consoles too, but it's also easily my favorite PC game this year.

Lister

Banned
PC Game of the Year
, but you should probably play it on consoles.

No, 30 FPS at high settings is doable on most hardware. IT's 60 that is a hassle witht he current state of the game.

That's already better than the consoles.

patapuf

I'm really liking the game, almost finished with it now. They mix up a lot of stuff, you feel like you have many approaches without them being telegraphed (and even if you play non-lethally). There's a few real gems of level design as well.

I don't know about best but it's really good.

OneUh8

Wow this is surprising. I have not played the game, but considering all the competition this year, I am very surprised. I thought the general consensus was that it is a good game, but nothing groundbreaking or particularly unique. Seems like a game that will just be forgotten in a few months.

M0G

Remember devs, you can sell an unfinished game and be rewarded for it. Even after several patches it is not ready for release imo. Such a shame because I've managed to get to Karnaca or whatever it's called and I can see it should be an awesome game :(

Hahah not shocked, they LOVED Dishonored 2 on the crate and crowbar. Still have to play it, but it's on the shelf! Just working my way through backlog at the moment.

Add me to the Doom list. Played Dishonored 2 now and it is awesome but I had to wait to play it because it was a mess. It runs fine now but geez.

One of the worst ports of the year, with a shitty control scheme designed for a controller. They removed the regular Q/E lean ability from the original game (and basically every other immersive sim FPS on PC) in favour of a direct keyboard translation of the clunky controller lean controls. And you have to hit Enter to continue after load screens. Enter.

Biocoincoin

Neo Member

Nowadays, immersive sims are more tied to PC than shooters (although RTS and 4X are now the only PC-only genres).
And come on, DH2 performed very well after v 1.2 got out, which was what, 2 to 3 weeks after release ? There's just the first Karnaca level that is really problematic (meaning you'll have to lower the drawing distance for 10 minutes to play in optimal conditions.

It's well deserved, and the game is way prettier on PC than consoles !

patapuf

Wow this is surprising. I have not played the game, but considering all the competition this year, I am very surprised. I thought the general consensus was that it is a good game, but nothing groundbreaking or particularly unique. Seems like a game that will just be forgotten in a few months.

The first was a pretty unique game, and they refined a lot of the mechanics and made significantly better levels on top of that.

Lots of other good games this year of course, but i wouldn't say Dishonored 2 is a game that should be forgotten quickly.

Vamphuntr

Legit surprised PC gamer gave Dishonored 2 the award considering the condition it was released. It's still having optimization issues too I think.

While most likely an incredible game (I'm only 2 chapters in as I'm still waiting for patches), it really does feel like this only reinforces poor behavior from devs.

I'd much rather see this award given to a game with stellar polish and performance. (Doom would be a good option.)

Lister

Banned
or
XCOM 2
Total War Warhammer

Yeah I personally would take either oen fo thses over Dishonored 2.

For me:

1. Civ VI
2. Total War Warhammer
3. Doom
4. Overwatch
5. Xcom 2
6. Stellaris
7. Rise of the Tomb raider
8. Tyranny
9. BF1
10. Inside

<---- insert Dishonored 2 here.

SomTervo

"not unique because it's similar to the first game" people said

In this case it's "similar to the first game but improves gameplay and design in every concievable way"

Loads of folk don't seem to be able to get past the first five words of the latter statement

Afro

While most likely an incredible game (I'm only 2 chapters in as I'm still waiting for patches), it really does feel like this only reinforces poor behavior from devs.

I'd much rather see this award given to a game with stellar polish and performance. (Doom would be a good option.)

100% correct.

As much as I like Dishonored, there are plenty of games that deserved PC GOTY over it.

DOOM
XCOM 2
CIV VI
Stardew Valley
Total Warhammer
Overwatch

I love a great performing game as much as the next guy (I mean, I have a 144 Hz Gsync monitor for a reason), but if they felt they game itself was incredible I don't see why they shouldn't give it GOTY due to performance issues. It sucks, it's why I'm waiting to play it, but a game is so much more than whether it holds a steady 60 or not. If they think Dishonored 2 at 30 fps (for example) is a better experience then anything else this year, then that's what they think.

That said, I like to see categories rewarding great performing PC games. "Most Optimized Game" etc.

Well... considering the state of the port, it shouldnt be, but its my
goty
as well, although secretly :)) because I cant recommend a bad port.

Izcarielo

Banned
If you're primarily a PC gamer, odds are that you can get away with at least 30fps, which no longer results in significantly longer load times. It's just a consistent 60fps that's still an issue for all but particularly high-end systems. The current theory is that all of the texture transcoding settings are rolled into the texture quality setting and this can create a CPU bottleneck if the option you've selected is too high, plus unlike Rage, Doom and I think the Wolf14 games, it's not possible to offload transcoding to a CUDA-supporting Nvidia GPU. The good news is that there's not actually much of a difference between Medium and Ultra textures (last I checked, anyway).

Are they working on fixing all that technical and complex problem you explained in your post?
I already beat it thrice, but i would play it again if its well optimized

Huh. I should probably get around to playing the first Dishonored. I seem to recall being thrown by the fact that you fired your gun in your left hand by pressing right trigger, and you swing your sword in your right hand by pressing left trigger. That and I was kind of arrested by the fact that it was made to sound like the game got "harder" if I killed more people...but when it was explained as being more a matter of "letting you do what you want to do more, if you stay stealthy you can make the stealth be a little easier, if you like combat, we give you more combat" it makes a little more sense.

Top Bottom