• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

Kvik

Not quite sure what was the deal with SLI scaling in this game. It fluctuates wildly between 70%-98% :-\

Maybe I should update my drivers, although I'm not really keen on doing it.

This is going to be another game where the reputation of the port's quality leads to people buying a console version instead of on their more powerful PCs that would actually run it far better.

Deathknell

So they spent 100k € for denuvo and not a single day of optimization before launch..

They don't deserve any money from pc crowd.

dEvAnGeL

FML, i purchased this yesterday from Best Buy for 30 and already activated it cause i read many comments saying it was a solid 60 after the patch 😒

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This is going to be another game where the reputation of the port's quality leads to people buying a console version instead of on their more powerful PCs that would actually run it far better.
But it won't run it far better cuz it's console version and even console versions have performance problems.

Oh btw, I just realized that Arkane is making a new Prey game which is supposed to come out next year. So, the chances are that they're using the same "reworked id Tech 5" engine is really high and that means only one thing - Prey will be just as terrible on PC as Dishonored 2.

Hopefully after such a disaster they'll choose to work with id Tech 6 and then delay the game (or at least PC version) to 2018, but if they don't.... no one will buy PC version of Prey for obvious reasons.

Wikzo

Oh btw, I just realized that Arkane is making a new Prey game which is supposed to come out next year. So, the chances are that they're using the same "reworked id Tech 5" engine is really high and that means only one thing - Prey will be just as terrible on PC as Dishonored 2.
I believe the new Prey game is using CryEngine.

b0se

Banned
So they spent 100k € for denuvo and not a single day of optimization before launch..

They don't deserve any money from pc crowd.

As a matter of fact they dont give a shit about pc players, look at the state in which the game was released, speaks for itself.

Locuza

Really?

Well, considering how "well" they've reworked 70-90% of id Tech 5 to suit their needs, I don't have high hopes for Prey, In fact I don't have any at all.
There are two different Arkane Studios, one in Lyion (France, since 1999) and one in Austin (USA, since 2006).
The France studio did the Void-Engine and Dishonored 2, the people in Austin are making Prey with the CryEngine.

jorimt

Thanks. I checked and they're all on Full.

97Ea6Xt.jpg

But it nvidia control panel as I mentioned, it's on limited, and when I change it to full I get black crush.

I think I might have to calibrate my tv settings under full.

Hm, that is really strange. What happens if you turn the TV setting to Limited for the PC input?

BriGuy

I bought it for my PC (980ti, i7 6700k) and am wondering if I should have gotten it for my PS4pro instead. It's playable, but I could have gotten the console version for cheaper.

I thought the patch had worked really well when I tested it. So I said screw it ill start a new game (I was only at karnacka, 1st mission). Big mistake. Going back to the opening level, throne room is still a lowest point of 38fps, Dunwall streets dipped down to high 30s, and once I got past the bloodfly house in karnacka it hit about 40fps. Fucks sake. This is the shittiest damn port ive played in years. I wouldn't mind if it was an amazing looking game but its only decent looking, and the IQ in the game is sickeningly bad. something like infinite warfare looks way better, has an almost solid 60fps at 1440p, ultra settings on my machine. Dishonored 2 cant even do 1080p60.

GTX 970, 16gb ram, i7 4770k.

b0se

Banned
I thought the patch had worked really well when I tested it. So I said screw it ill start a new game (I was only at karnacka, 1st mission). Big mistake. Going back to the opening level, throne room is still a lowest point of 38fps, Dunwall streets dipped down to high 30s, and once I got past the bloodfly house in karnacka it hit about 40fps. Fucks sake. This is the shittiest damn port ive played in years. I wouldn't mind if it was an amazing looking game but its only decent looking, and the IQ in the game is sickeningly bad. something like infinite warfare looks way better, has an almost solid 60fps at 1440p, ultra settings on my machine. Dishonored 2 cant even do 1080p60.

GTX 970, 16gb ram, i7 4770k.

When I told them that this garbage is a fucking piece of shit a lot of folks got triggered.

"HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ??!?!?"

I also like how they describe this garbage as affecting only "SPECIFIC' machines

Yeah well I guess 99% of pc gamers have 1070 and 1080, where 1% have some other gpus like a gtx 980ti which according to their devs is like an nvidia MX 4000 from 2002

brau

When I told them that this garbage is a fucking piece of shit a lot of folks got triggered.

"HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ??!?!?"

I also like how they describe this garbage as affecting only "SPECIFIC' machines

Yeah well I guess 99% of pc gamers have 1070 and 1080, where 1% have some other gpus like a gtx 980ti which according to their devs is like an nvidia MX 4000 from 2002

Its really bad when you have the high end GPUs struggling with the game. Not even in the performance, just in the game behaving in weird ways. Just bad optimization for sure.

chrixter

1.2 seems to have made my game perform worse (GTX 970, 4790k). Not only does my framerate still fluctuate even on very low settings, but now I have constant flickering along edges unless I turn AA off, and stuff in the distance looks blurry as hell even when my settings are turned up. I didn't have those issues pre-patch but I know many people did and now I'm in that same boat. Really disappointing.

After getting frustrated as shit with it, I've just gone full console on it. I've plugged in a pad so the weird feeling m&kb is gone, and bumped the res up to almost 4k so it doesn't look like a jaggy shimmering mess of IQ. FPS is mostly 30. I would lock it to 30, but guess what, you can't have vsync and frame limit on at the same time!

CHC

So should I still hold off on this game? Seems like its still a mess.

Depends on your card, a 980 / 1070 / 1080 will give you an absolutely fine experience. Anything less than that it's going to be hard to hold 60 FPS right now, regardless of settings.

Locuza

So should I still hold off on this game? Seems like its still a mess.
Yes, probably till the first half of 2017.
There will be more updates, also content patches, with a new game+ mode and maybe the ability to play certain episodes of the campaign whenever you want.

CHC

I have a 1070 and I play at 1080p. Is locked 60 possible?

Sure, very easily. I have the same card with an old 2500k and I play with everything set to High, textures at Ultra, and 1080p. Over 60 FPS constantly, with plenty of room to spare usually (70-90 is average).

comrade

Yes, probably till the first half of 2017.
There will be more updates, also content patches, with a new game+ mode and maybe the ability to play certain episodes of the campaign whenever you want.

That really should have been a thing already. This game makes me so sad. Have been wanting to play all weekend but the game runs like shit.

I have a 1070 and I play at 1080p. Is locked 60 possible?

Sure, very easily. I have the same card with an old 2500k and I play with everything set to High, textures at Ultra, and 1080p. Over 60 FPS constantly, with plenty of room to spare usually (70-90 is average).

Going to counter point here and say no, locked 60 isn't going to be a given. You're likely going to have to turn down setting to get you to 60 across the game, but even then there are areas where my card drops 10fps for no apparent reason. 60fps just isn't am abdolute in this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That really should have been a thing already. This game makes me so sad. Have been wanting to play all weekend but the game runs like shit.

I'd say what baffles me the most design-wise is that, unlike the original, you can't restart a mission upon completing it. This means that you're entirely reliant upon saves to correct a mistake and your only option is to start a new game should said saves not undo an action.

SimplexPL

After getting frustrated as shit with it, I've just gone full console on it. I've plugged in a pad so the weird feeling m&kb is gone, and bumped the res up to almost 4k so it doesn't look like a jaggy shimmering mess of IQ. FPS is mostly 30. I would lock it to 30, but guess what, you can't have vsync and frame limit on at the same time!
Why not? You can't force vsync in nvidia control panel and lock to 30 in game?
Or you can lock to 30 using Riva Tuner Statistics Server.
Or play in borderless window and lock to 30 (borderless windows is always vsynced)

Digital Foundry disagrees:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-dishonored-2-face-off
we've tested the title with an overclocked Core i7 4790K paired with Titan X Pascal and remarkably, it has trouble hitting 60fps at 1080p.

Also: https://youtu.be/BZrR7JVSSq4?t=342

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, it seems like ultra is off the table and not worth using.

Does it actually bring anything worthwhile to the presentation? I'd like to say it's future proofed if so.

brobban

I'm thinking of buying it for my girlfriend, but not sure what platform to choose.
I have a 2600k @ 4,4 Ghz, GTX1070 and 16Gb of ram. The thing is, the monitor is 1440p, so it might be of the table to get it anywhere near 60hz? It's a G-sync monitor, so that might mitigate some of the issues.

Or should I just make it easy and get it for the PS4 pro?

I'm thinking of buying it for my girlfriend, but not sure what platform to choose.
I have a 2600k @ 4,4 Ghz, GTX1070 and 16Gb of ram. The thing is, the monitor is 1440p, so it might be of the table to get it anywhere near 60hz? It's a G-sync monitor, so that might mitigate some of the issues.

Your PC will run it better than the console versions. At 1440 though you might run into issues, but worst case scenario is you cap at 30 and then you'll still have a more stable version with a higher resolution so might as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, it seems like ultra is off the table and not worth using.

Does it actually bring anything worthwhile to the presentation? I'd like to say it's future proofed if so.

The difference between Ultra and High is really quite slim. Immediately noticeable changes to visual fidelity don't occur until you drop down to Medium as it's the point at which bloom, depth of field, etc. (literally all of the No/Yes graphics options) are completely disabled:

https://abload.de/img/20161127164758_1mgywf.jpg (Ultra)
https://abload.de/img/20161127164813_1z4yfm.jpg (Very High)
https://abload.de/img/20161127164834_1ctadn.jpg (High)
https://abload.de/img/20161127164930_11jyds.jpg (Medium)
https://abload.de/img/20161127164949_166bfj.jpg (Low)
https://abload.de/img/20161127165002_1bezsw.jpg (Very Low)

(In hindsight I should have enabled the option to have Steam save lossless copies of screenshots, but no matter.)

The PS4 Pro version is also 30fps. If you can't maintain 60fps often enough for your liking, just cap the framerate (there are instructions in the OP on how to do this externally if the game's own framerate limiter feels off).

SimplexPL

That's not exactly damning. Digital Foundry is running the game with the Ultra preset whereas only his texture setting is set to Ultra.
True, but they are using a friggin' Titan XP.
Nonetheless, I think they should have investigated if it is possible to achieve locked 60fps by lowering settings.

Nonetheless, I think they should have investigated if it is possible to achieve locked 60fps by lowering settings.

Absolutely. Durante would be the first one to tell you never to judge a game's performance on ultra\max settings.

When I turn things down to a mix of high\very high, the experience is vastly improved. No stuttering and a stable framerate. Seems to stay that way so long as the game isn't bumping up against my VRAM limit (which sadly requires a lot of VRAM to prevent).

CHC

It is possible, easily. Like I said, I'm over 60 FPS probably - no exaggeration - 99% of the time with a 1070 / 2500k using high settings and ultra textures. Visually it's barely distinguishable from all ultra and I hover at 70-90 FPS most of the time.

Setting everything to ultra is just asking for this game to run badly, I don't know why people are still trying to do it at this point when it offers almost no perceptible visual benefit.

I'd say what baffles me the most design-wise is that, unlike the original, you can't restart a mission upon completing it. This means that you're entirely reliant upon saves to correct a mistake and your only option is to start a new game should said saves not undo an action.

I'll definitely be happy when they patch in a mission select. For my first run obviously I don't care but there are some really excellent missions like Clockwork Mansion or Crack In The Slab that I'd love to have on hand to just play over and over, or to show someone to sell them on the game.

pksu

Neo Member
Runs like shit on 970/2600k 4.6 GHz @ 1440p. Most settings on medium, HBAO off and getting 30-40 fps with beta patch and hotfix drivers installed.

SimplexPL

Setting everything to ultra is just asking for this game to run badly, I don't know why people are still trying to do it at this point when it offers almost no perceptible visual benefit.
I agree, but it also begs the question why would the developers even put these ultra and very high settings in the menu, when they obviously:
- offers virtually no perceptible graphical improvements over high
- absolutely crush performance

I'll definitely be happy when they patch in a mission select. For my first run obviously I don't care but there are some really excellent missions like Clockwork Mansion or Crack In The Slab that I'd love to have on hand to just play over and over, or to show someone to sell them on the game.
Right now you need to remember to save at the beginning of each missing, which is PITA.

I agree, but it also begs the question why would the developers even put these ultra and very high settings in the menu, when they obviously:
- offers virtually no perceptible graphical improvements over high
- absolutely crush performance

I'm a bit confused because on my machine (i5, 390) lowering the options doesn't help performance, in fact the difference between low and ultra hovers at about 5-7 fps and I'll get something between 30 and 90fps at ultra (and about the same on low). It's bad.

It is possible, easily. Like I said, I'm over 60 FPS probably - no exaggeration - 99% of the time with a 1070 / 2500k using high settings and ultra textures. Visually it's barely distinguishable from all ultra and I hover at 70-90 FPS most of the time.

I'm loving how the game looks and plays with settings at high \ very high. I'm maintaining 60 FPS with no drops or stuttering. Also disabled depth of field.

People should really try backing off the ultra settings. I don't have a single thing set to ultra anymore. The only argument I could make for that is view distance, as pop-in always sucks.

Justinian

Can we pretty much all agree that this game was released before it was finished? There's so much evidence - from poor performance, bugs/glitches and lack of expected features at launch like mission select and NG+ that are coming in a patch.

Rathorial

Can we pretty much all agree that this game was released before it was finished? There's so much evidence - from poor performance, bugs/glitches and lack of expected features at launch like mission select and NG+ that are coming in a patch.

The game was probably released a bit too early so it could get holiday sales, but I wouldn't say lack of mission select or NG+ mean anything...they're not remotely standard features in so many games. My own campaign experience hasn't even been more buggy than the last game. I'm happy they mentioned NG+ up front, and responded to people asking for mission selection.

Performance, and weird stuff like tying mouse acceleration to frame-rate indicate the PC port didn't get the attention it should, and that sucks because it was fantastic with the 1st game. Console ports are better, but still some performance problems. I just hope Arkane will continue to make improvements, and not just drop it after a few more patches. I'd like my GoTY to run well instead of now just ok on a gtx 1070.

SimplexPL

The game was probably released a bit too early so it could get holiday sales, but I wouldn't say lack of mission select or NG+ mean anything...they're not remotely standard features in so many games.
Let's compare to the previous installment, not other games - AFAIK mission selection was available in Dishonored.

Top Bottom