• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift Apart PC Requirements Revealed

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was just finishing up my Computer Science degree around then, so alot of information was flowing through my head and while debugging stuff was fun, I dont remember how RAGE got the information to the GPU, I was more interested in the MegaTexture tech, I highly doubt the entire MegaTexture was loaded into System Ram or VRAM, I was more concerned with whether it could be applied to offline rendering(of which I had just discovered GPU rendering).

Given what Carmack says here regarding the difficulties of developing Rage for PCs vs consoles in terms of driver overhead and the different ways PCs and consoles handle memory allocation, I don't think they were decompressing straight to VRAM, but I could be wrong.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I like how this gets posted here as if it is some sort of fact.

It is, but some don't like to see it. Since some people were very invested and brainwashed by MS Series X power talk.

Has no one yet compiled a meta analysis of all benchmark results of all the cross platform games released on PS5 and SX so far? I feel like there should be enough data by now for a somewhat reliable answer to that question.

ergem

DirectStorage to the rescue.
Direct-Storage-1024x614.png

DirectStorage 1.2 with GPU decompression being enacted.

Quotes from Nixxes:

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains:
\u201cTo enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.\u201d

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus:
\u201cFor Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.\u201d

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.
Genius Cerny redeemed.

To be fair the game still looks great on PS5 with Fidelity/40fps, but I'll still be double dipping for the extra visual flourishes on a second playthrough. I wonder if no raytracing and balanced DLSS will even hit over 100fps on my 3090 :pie_thinking: Worth trying.

I'm sure the game was only around 42Gb on PS5 tho

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Has no one yet compiled a meta analysis of all benchmark results of all the cross platform games released on PS5 and SX so far? I feel like there should be enough data by now for a somewhat reliable answer to that question.

Offtopic:
There is some twitter spreadsheets or spreadsheets made by others shared over twitter. So far not really in Xbox favor at all.

This was 2021...you may find a updatet version. /Offtopic

Now imagine if Starfield doesn’t use DirectStorage with GPU decompression? Microsoft is not even the first to the party to use the tech they developed on PC, but Sony is.

Season 3 Lol GIF by The Office

It's pretty funny. So far all PlayStation PC releases make better use of the latetst tech like, DLSS3.0, FSR2+, XeSS and even Direct Storage. Flight Sim 2020 on pc didn't even had DX12 from launch and other tech same as Halo Infinite. MS does a way worse job if it comes to implementing all the latest tech combined.

Last edited:
Difference? PS5 outperforms the Series X is most comparisons and when the Series X has the "edge" over the PS5...it's minimal and still not in all areas.
lol what this is not true. You mean XSX has a higher resolution than the PS5 hence its 1 fps less.
Compared to PS4. Did they make any comparison with other devices? They want to sell PS5 consoles, not PS4 consoles when you develop the game for it.

Do you think they will say "The dimensional Rifts will only work with the PS5's SSD, but if we downscale everything to low textures, 720 resolution or lower, then maybe you could run it on an HDD, but heey, we obviously don't want to do that because we want you to buy a PS5 for this game" .

Good luck thinking you get the same experience with these lower settings. The game will look completely different without all the features enables. So no you can't run this game on HDD if you want it to look like the PS5 version. It's VERY clear that they talked about how the game is, isn't possible on PS4. Downscaling everything for it is irrelevant .

Don't be so stupid....

Dude all you have to do is look back at the posts. You had ridiculous statements that XS and PC couldn't run UE5 demos.
That Rift Apart couldn't run on the Xbox or PC because it didn't have PS5's specific super fast SSD and I/O.
That loading times between PS5 and XS would be so huge that developers would have to make elevators for XS versions.

OH wait YOU were one of the people making these statements.

Yet it turns out that XS and PC runs all UE5 demos (even better than PS5).
That speed difference between XS and PS5 is either identical or less than 1 secs.
Loading speed is actually faster on the PC with Direct Storage and a measely SATA SSD.

What's actually going to be the case with Rift Apart PC is that PC with SATA SSD will outperform the PS5 in loading speed and all other speed related differences.

That's a sata SSD beating Super fast SSD, God-tier I/O and the nonesense geometry engine.

Last edited:
Offtopic:
There is some twitter spreadsheets or spreadsheets made by others shared over twitter. So far not really in Xbox favor at all.

It's pretty funny. So far all PlayStation PC releases make better use of the latetst tech like, DLSS3.0, FSR2+, XeSS and even Direct Storage. Flight Sim 2020 on pc didn't even had DX12 from launch and other tech same as Halo Infinite. MS does a way worse job if it comes to implementing all the latest tech combined.

Flight Sim 2020 released in 2020. What PS PC releases came out in 2020 with DX12?
Bro you have to try harder...

Puscifer

Someone please post a Tweet from that hack Insomniac developer claiming that this game would be impossible on HDD. Thanks. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I just think it's funny that we haven't made games that work on gen 1 SSDs with 2-300mbps read and write speeds and people think suddenly games are going to need ones that can do 7GBps lol

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Flight Sim 2020 released in 2020. What PS PC releases came out in 2020 with DX12?
Bro you have to try harder...

It's about the fact that this day, developers still have trouble with DX12 in general. The whole implementation was and is pretty shit overall. Now we see some better use of it, but for a long time it was not.

But he...here you are Staticshock out of your grave again buddy? because i remember you were one of those people shitting constantly on every tech from the PS5. Why are you starting this UE5 crap again? Everybody knew the whole engine was multiplatform, but THAT specific demo was created for PS5 and nothing else.

We've seen the The Matrix demo, and we know which version ran the best...and that wasn't the Series X version.

Yet it turns out that XS and PC runs all UE5 demos (even better than PS5). (BULLSHIT)
That speed difference between XS and PS5 is either identical or less than 1 secs. (more BULLSHIT, enough examples that show PS5 has better loading or texture streaming)
Loading speed is actually faster on the PC with Direct Storage and a measely SATA SSD. (compared with what?)

What's actually going to be the case with Rift Apart PC is that PC with SATA SSD will outperform the PS5 in loading speed and all other speed related differences. (ok? PS5 version is already near instant...if not instant, So how is it going to beat?)

That's a sata SSD beating Super fast SSD, God-tier I/O and the nonesense geometry engine. (Good...foor you!!)

Cool story bro. If that makes you happy and relieved.....Good for...youu

Charlie Day Ok GIF

Funny to see all these PC MASTERRACE clowns coming out of their graves again. You must have missed the matrix demo or not?

PSA: Im a PC and console gamer, but the PCMR crowed are fucking annoying.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Offtopic:

Playstation has literally one of the worst PC ports ever, don't think TLOU port is the norm, it's literally one of the worst, top of the industry in terms of bad quality, it's on YouTube tops of worst ports ever alongside Batman Arkham Knight and some others. DLSS was just fixed in 1.1 version iirc.

PS exclusives PC ports in general, apart from Returnal and Days Gone ate, even after fixed, heavier than most other games, they run slower, etc.

They are far from being anything exceptional on PC, they just costume more resources for the sake of it with no visual compensation, they just do, it's normal to see people skeptical.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Playstation has literally one of the worst PC ports ever, don't think TLOU port is the norm, it's literally one of the worst, top of the industry in terms of bad quality, it's on YouTube tops of worst ports ever alongside Batman Arkham Knight and some others. DLSS was just fixed in 1.1 version iirc.

PS exclusives PC ports in general, apart from Returnal and Days Gone ate, even after fixed, heavier than most other games, they run slower, etc.

They are far from being anything exceptional on PC, they just costume more resources for the sake of it with no visual compensation, they just do, it's normal to see people skeptical.

While TloU PC port was pretty bad at start all other releases so far aren't that bad compared to a lot of multiplatform releases these 2/3 years. It's not a Sony thing but a industry wide issue with PC development.

Most PC releases these days are pretty crap, buggy, bad performance and shit. At least PlayStation isn't giving it up with just one patch. I mean Dead Space PC port just had it's first patch after months. People would've burned down Sony if they did that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tinkering with settings can be fun, making sure things work properly but man that’s a lot are pc gamers ok? Good to have settings but damn.

Kataploom

Gold Member
While TloU PC port was pretty bad at start all other releases so far aren't that bad compared to a lot of multiplatform releases these 2/3 years. It's not a Sony thing but a industry wide issue with PC development.

Most PC releases these days are pretty crap, buggy, bad performance and shit. At least PlayStation isn't giving it up with just one patch. I mean Dead Space PC port just had it's first patch after months. People would've burned down Sony if they did that.
Nah, you don't get it. First, TLOU was way worse than any other release, it's not "badly optimized" alone because it could be playable in top of the line computers, it's everything else, almost past Ubisoft levels of bad with bugs all over the place the didn't render character models, lots of shaders rendering issues, clipping, animations, collisions bugs etc. It was worse than "the standard of these days PC ports".

And Sony games tend to run way worse than any other game on PC on average, you'll need better than your hardware to run Sony games just as good as any other game you play. They can fix bugs and whatever, but performance issues will still be there and that's something pretty much exclusive to Sony games save for some unoptimized mess every now and then. They feel to me like Metro 2033 in 2011, everything ran well on my GTX 560 save for it, and those that ran well many also looked way better so it ran worse "just because˝.

Sony games are by far the worst example of PC gaming state regarding performance.

That's what happens when you get fat.
LMAO fuck typing in the phone "pie_tears_joy:

It's about the fact that this day, developers still have trouble with DX12 in general. The whole implementation was and is pretty shit overall. Now we see some better use of it, but for a long time it was not.

But he...here you are Staticshock out of your grave again buddy? because i remember you were one of those people shitting constantly on every tech from the PS5. Why are you starting this UE5 crap again? Everybody knew the whole engine was multiplatform, but THAT specific demo was created for PS5 and nothing else.
All you do is spread lies after lies. Even the developers of UE5 and nanite called people like you out for spreading lies. Yet here you are again.

The demo wasn't created for PS5, the demo was created for PC first. That's why the creators literally ran the demo live on their own PC. You really have no shame.

Lastly, the Matrix Demo is literally 1000x more complex than the PS5 demo. The creators of UE5 literally told you.

We've seen the The Matrix demo, and we know which version ran the best...and that wasn't the Series X version.
This is misleading.
Yet it turns out that XS and PC runs all UE5 demos (even better than PS5). (BULLSHIT)
The Valley of Ancient demo runs 1080p 30 fps on consoles but Native 4k on PC. Its amazing the blatant lies you spread.
The Matrix demo runs 1066p-1200p 30 fps on consoles, PC runs it at Native 4k. Its amazing the blatant lies you spread.

The Lumen in the land of nanite demo, the least demanding demo of the 3 ran 1440p 40fps. Nanite creator Brian Karis and Lumen creator ran it on their PC Live.

Keep on spreading lies.

If Epic Games had released this Electric Dreams demo on PS5 only.
You will be telling us how clearly its because only PS5 can run it.

That speed difference between XS and PS5 is either identical or less than 1 secs. (more BULLSHIT, enough examples that show PS5 has better loading or texture streaming)
Lol what? All loading speed have either been identical or the difference been 1 seconds or less, sometimes with XS loading faster. More blatant lies.
Loading speed is actually faster on the PC with Direct Storage and a measely SATA SSD. (compared with what?)
Forspoken the first DirectStorage PC game. It will repeat itself with Rift Apart and you will lie about it again.

What's actually going to be the case with Rift Apart PC is that PC with SATA SSD will outperform the PS5 in loading speed and all other speed related differences. (ok? PS5 version is already near instant...if not instant, So how is it going to beat?)
By loading faster... I know reality is something you can't quite wrap yoour mind around.
That's a sata SSD beating Super fast SSD, God-tier I/O and the nonesense geometry engine. (Good...foor you!!)
So all the wrong information you have spread for the last 3 years is just shrugs?

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
Difference? PS5 outperforms the Series X is most comparisons and when the Series X has the "edge" over the PS5...it's minimal and still not in all areas.

Compared to PS4. Did they make any comparison with other devices? They want to sell PS5 consoles, not PS4 consoles when you develop the game for it.

Do you think they will say "The dimensional Rifts will only work with the PS5's SSD, but if we downscale everything to low textures, 720 resolution or lower, then maybe you could run it on an HDD, but heey, we obviously don't want to do that because we want you to buy a PS5 for this game" .

Good luck thinking you get the same experience with these lower settings. The game will look completely different without all the features enables. So no you can't run this game on HDD if you want it to look like the PS5 version. It's VERY clear that they talked about how the game is, isn't possible on PS4. Downscaling everything for it is irrelevant .

Don't be so stupid....
Why do you need to lie to defend Sony? Can you post what are all those recent games where PS beat SX? I wait

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
All you do is spread lies after lies. Even the developers of UE5 and nanite called people like you out for spreading lies. Yet here you are again.

The demo wasn't created for PS5, the demo was created for PC first. That's why the creators literally ran the demo live on their own PC. You really have no shame.

Lastly, the Matrix Demo is literally 1000x more complex than the PS5 demo. The creators of UE5 literally told you.

This is misleading.

The Valley of Ancient demo runs 1080p 30 fps on consoles but Native 4k on PC. Its amazing the blatant lies you spread.
The Matrix demo runs 1066p-1200p 30 fps on consoles, PC runs it at Native 4k. Its amazing the blatant lies you spread.

The Lumen in the land of nanite demo, the least demanding demo of the 3 ran 1440p 40fps. Nanite creator Brian Karis and Lumen creator ran it on their PC Live.

Keep on spreading lies.

If Epic Games had released this Electric Dreams demo on PS5 only.
You will be telling us how clearly its because only PS5 can run it.

Lol what? All loading speed have either been identical or the difference been 1 seconds or less, sometimes with XS loading faster. More blatant lies.

Forspoken the first DirectStorage PC game. It will repeat itself with Rift Apart and you will lie about it again.

By loading faster... I know reality is something you can't quite wrap yoour mind around.

So all the wrong information you have spread for the last 3 years is just shrugs?

All your arguments are based on assumptions, and bringing in youtube video’s from demos created way after. R&C has instant loading in-game, so how is that going to be beaten?

You have not proof but all you do is acting if it’s already a fact in all your quotes.

The UE5 demo was running in the editor mode. Sure it can run on pc but they have not shown us the demo running from start to finish on pc yet after these years. What is misleading about the matrix demo on the PS5? That it had better performance then the xbox version?

Your sound like a angry pcmr clown not getting what he wants. It was back then when you were constantly downplaying the PS5 and it’s right now the same.

Sorry i’m not going to argue with you anymore…pretty tiresome, because i’m not sure why you need to proof yourself again with all that UE5 crap again. You must still have sleepless nights about it or something?

Why do you need to lie to defend Sony? Can you post what are all those recent games where PS beat SX? I wait

What lies, i gave you facts and look up at DF yourself. A lot of these comparisons even this and last year were in favor of PS5. There were even discussions about this on this forum from xbox fans. They were like “is Sony paying these devs right now or something”, even while games like that Russian type fps game (don’t know the name anymore) which had xbox marketing rights ran better on PS5 and had better LoD.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I bet it's just stored in system RAM like every other game.

PCs have more system RAM than consoles, they don't share the same 16GB pool like consoles do for VRAM.

IIRC Direct Storage 1.2 lets HDDs utilize the buffering feature which I assume utilizes the system memory.

Given that the min spec RAM requirement is 8GB, that should be enough to hold whatever 720p textures the game needs to access for the rift gameplay. Along with OS overhead, of course.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The full blog post from Nixxes has been put up officially.

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains: “To enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times, and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point, there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.”

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus: “For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.”

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

There's an interesting bit at the end. "As originally intended" could suggest that the instant dimension hopping gameplay is not quite the same if you use an HDD.

While Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart can be enjoyed using an HDD and the minimum system requirements, we encourage players to use an SSD in combination with the recommended system requirements or higher, to experience the game’s signature dimension-hopping gameplay as originally intended.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nvidia has their own post about RTX I/O today, too.

Rapid loading and smooth navigation through endless open worlds has long been a goal of gamers and developers alike. Even with the incredible performance of NVMe SSDs, this goal has remained out of reach. Modern game engines have exceeded the capability of traditional storage APIs; a new generation of Input/Output (IO) architecture is needed.

Enter NVIDIA RTX IO, enabling fast GPU-based loading and game asset decompression, massively accelerating IO performance compared to hard drives and traditional storage APIs. NVIDIA RTX IO leverages GPU decompression for smaller data packages, enabling faster load times and lower CPU utilization, allowing developers to create a new generation of games with massive, highly detailed worlds.

NVIDIA RTX IO makes its debut alongside the free Portal: Prelude RTX mod today, and will also feature in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, launching July 26th.

Tunned

Held out on getting it for the PS5, and I'm glad I did, my 4090 is going to get a good workout :messenger_bicep:

Love the R&C series.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
On second look, it seems like they removed the AMD GPUs from the official specs for Raytracing. "Details regarding ray-tracing support for AMD GPUs coming soon"
Clearly they feel like they have another release or something else when it comes to the performance on those cards but the studios competence buys them all the equity when it comes to stuff like this. Maybe it doesn't perform up the stuff with the original spec that they released upon more q&a.

But as I commented on reddit, Ray tracing is a strong suit for NVIDIA cards. Always has been and surely always will be. Makes sense to push that as the proper specification especially when it comes to those particular settings.

Top Bottom