• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

Alan Wake

Sucks for multi platform owners. You either play day 1 on PS and skip PC version and miss out on playing a potential definitive edition.
Or you play day 1 on PS and double dip on PC version years later, 2x the price.
Or you skip PS version and wait for PC version later, will likely have the story spoiled.
I hear you. But even if they'd launch simultaneously on PC there could be a definitive edition later on. Some games will get released again and again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean, if porting Bloodborne to the PC get's us a remaster or current gen upgrade, then I'm all for that shit. Ten fold!
But that shouldn't be the reason.
I mean this isn't a select few saying there is something wrong with Sony's focus because everyone is saying it now after their Showcase.
Are Playstation owners eating good? Sure but it's not because of Sony's first Party.
And I do feel Sorry for Insomniac Games as they're delivering tenfold.

FrankWza

November 2020 -> May 2023 = 3.5 years

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC
Gary Oldman Waiting GIF by Apple TV+

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But that shouldn't be the reason.
I mean this isn't a select few saying there is something wrong with Sony's focus because everyone is saying it now after their Showcase.
Are Playstation owners eating good? Sure but it's not because of Sony's first Party.
And I do feel Sorry for Insomniac Games as they're delivering tenfold.
Why? They are going to want more avenues to recoup their ROI.

I doubt that is the "main reason," since it won't be day and date. But people need to let go and it's time to swallow the pill that all their games will eventually make it to the PC, even if 2-3 years later on mainline non-GaaS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Knew more games would come. The last PC port was March. Of course they arent going to have Apr-Dec being blank. They'll have more later in the year after R&C.

And it looks like this game can run on PC SSDs too.

More possible ports:

- Demons Souls
- GoT
- MLB The Show
- Gran Turismo
- Dreams

I think the rest of their games have already ported except sequels to GOW and Horizon FW.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony is so weird. They just had a showcase last week. Why not announce this in there? The exposire would be much bigger?

This also means The Snitch was right 2 days ago (or was it tom Henderson?) about Playstation releasing a PC port in July. This is the game.
Because their PC port strategy isn't something to be super loud like it being part of E3 extravaganzas or big State of Play shows. PC announcements are quietly done where most of the time it's done in PS Blogs or Tweets.

They do this to not infuriate the PS fanbase.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Knew more games would come. The last PC port was March. Of course they arent going to have Apr-Dec being blank. They'll have more later in the year after R&C.

And it looks like this game can run on PC SSDs too.

More possible ports:

- Demons Souls
- GoT
- MLB The Show
- Gran Turismo
- Dreams

I think the rest of their games have already ported except sequels to GOW and Horizon FW.
MLB The Show needs to be on there yesterday.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 imagine the modders with a PC port!
Hungry Dog Show GIF by American Kennel Club

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
As it stands, I see zero enticement to wait 2-3 years for these PC ports just to play them at a higher frame rate. Meaningless ports.
Mouse+kb gameplay without compromises, minimal input lag, ultrawide, "perfect" IQ, higher frame rates, etc, etc...

TGO

Why? They are going to want more avenues to recoup their ROI.

I doubt that is the "main reason," since it won't be day and date. But people need to let go and it's time to swallow the pill that all their games will eventually make it to the PC, even if 2-3 years later on mainline non-GaaS.
Be a lot easier to swallow if they had new games to draw attention away from it.
Hell their next big announcement will probably be HFW for PC as enough time has passed to justify a release.
The problem isn't 3rd party support, it isn't Games getting ported to PC.
It's the nothing in-between from SONY themselves for the PS5 outside what they announced 3-2 years ago, so much so that like I said before their next announcement will likely be HFW port because that much time has passed.
I mean you don't believe there is another Showcase this year do you?
If not then that is more of a reality going into than 2024 anything else.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the PS5.
It's got some good games coming to it this year, just not much from Sony themselves.
I just don't get people saying it's okay when Sony is treating it like the Vita.
Anyway this thread is about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart PC port so let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Be a lot easier to swallow if they had new games to draw attention away from it.
Hell their next big announcement will probably be HFW for PC as enough time has passed to justify a release.
The problem isn't 3rd party support, it isn't Games getting ported to PC.
It's the nothing in-between from SONY themselves for the PS5 outside what they announced 3-2 years ago, so much so that like I said before their next announcement will likely be HFW port because that much time has passed.
I mean you don't believe there is another Showcase this year do you?
If not then that is more of a reality going into 2024 anything else.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the PS5.
It's got some good games coming to it this year, just not much from Sony themselves.
I just don't get people saying it's okay when Sony is treating it like the Vita.
Anyway this thread is about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart PC port so let's leave it at that.
I still have a massive backlog I am chipping my way through, so while I was disappointed at not seeing anything from ND or Bend, hell, even Bluepoint, I am preoccupied still. Spider-Man 2 will ramp up, people will be raving about that in the mainstream ether, but yes, I do believe they will have SoPs again or the like. It's how they market now.

Speaking of, I have yet to play R&C myself as well. Elden Ring and GT7 rotations have been gamer soul sucking.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Most impressive graphics technically speaking to date for me. Good to know it's coming, but depending on how it goes I'll decide if I'll get it for PC or wait to get a PS5 some day

Reallink

Demon Souls is now the only true PS5 exclusive wow :/

Whatever. I’ll just get a PC next Gen. $550 on the ps5, $550 for my series X? Yeah I’ll just invest ~$1100 on a beast pc and get the next Nintendo console.
$1100 would only buy you a lower mid range i5 and 16Gb 4060Ti system which is only marginally faster than PS5/SX in practice...and the consoles are now 3 years old.

Last edited:

TGO

I still have a massive backlog I am chipping my way through, so while I was disappointed at not seeing anything from ND or Bend, hell, even Bluepoint, I am preoccupied still. Spider-Man 2 will ramp up, people will be raving about that in the mainstream ether, but yes, I do believe they will have SoPs again or the like. It's how they market now.

Speaking of, I have yet to play R&C myself as well. Elden Ring and GT7 rotations have been gamer soul sucking.
Last post regarding this
I'm the same, and I have a bunch of games coming out this year which will increase my backlog too

But that doesn't mean I should dismiss it as being okay because it not.

Because if I didn't have that backlog and great games from 3rd Party developers Sony definitely doesn't my back.

And that is my point, without them what would the PS5 look like right now.

Historically the Second Wave defines the console and it the biggest wave of games consoles usually have.

Spider Man 2 is a second wave title and that's all they got.....so far but we're nearing 3rd Wave

People are just questioning what Sony is actually doing and is there an actual problem with their First Party games.

On topic, this game is gonna be a interesting DF analysis.

Last edited:

Fabieter

$1100 would only buy you a lower mid range i5 and 16Gb 4060Ti system which is only marginally faster than PS5/SX in practice...and the consoles are now 3 years old.

He can put was he would save on subs on top of that including cheaper game prices.

GHG

Sucks for multi platform owners. You either play day 1 on PS and skip PC version and miss out on playing a potential definitive edition.
Or you play day 1 on PS and double dip on PC version years later, 2x the price.
Or you skip PS version and wait for PC version later, will likely have the story spoiled.

I've not purchased a single Sony 1st party game at full price on PC. Makes no sense to do so if I already own and have played through the game on PS4/5.

So not sure where you're getting 2x the price from. $10-$20 is the sweet spot for the PC versions for me, I'm in no rush and by the time that happens they will be patched up and there are plenty of mods for me to enjoy so that the second playthrough isn't identical to the first.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Crazy that only Nintendo still seems to understand this 😞
except that not really, since Sony and MS understand that in order to keep your games actually exclusive, they need powerful hardware and even more powerful security. Nintendo at the moment has neither so the exclusives for them fall flat on their face due to Yuzu & Ryujinx. TOTK was playable on PC a whole week before releasing on Switch, that's something that never happened with any Playstation or Xbox exclusive

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
yes. I don't consider 1440p60fps to 4k100fps worth enough to go to a pc.
there needs to be something more because you only get a bit more res and a lot more fps + issues. That's not enough for me.
If You jump - jump far and at least make it a big difference

There’s way more than just a performance gain, if someone wants to build a PC

Fabieter

except that not really, since Sony and MS understand that in order to keep your games actually exclusive, they need powerful hardware and even more powerful security. Nintendo at the moment has neither so the exclusives for them fall flat on their face due to Yuzu & Ryujinx. TOTK was playable on PC a whole week before releasing on Switch, that's something that never happened with any Playstation or Xbox exclusive

Well you need to jump through hoops to play switch games legally on pc. That's not really the same. Ripping your own games isn't even possible before it's releasing tho.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There’s way more than just a performance gain, if someone wants to build a PC
We are talking about gaming.
And I consider ultrawide an unplayable nonsense, so that's not for me if you want to pitch it lol :p
Mods... yeah I know but I rarely use mods

Fabieter

yes. I don't consider 1440p60fps to 4k100fps worth enough to go to a pc.
there needs to be something more because you only get a bit more res and a lot more fps + issues. That's not enough for me.
If You jump - jump far and at least make it a big difference

What about pc exclusives, mods, emulation, no sub for online play and cheaper games 🤔.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
After the recent pc ports, there is plenty of proof.
Yeah, with Jedi Survivor dropping to sub 720fps on consoles, there sure is!
You're better off with a 6700 XT and 12GB of VRAM for only $330. The 4060 Ti's value is exceedingly poor.

Wonko_C

With this and Returnal on PC I'm out of reasons to buy a PS5. Well there's PSVR2 but I'm still waiting for the hybrid AAA first party games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's not a "beast PC," which is the context that you quoted.
he was making an example, you can get a PC like that roughly on par with a PS5 for 650, which is more than half. if you spent 1100 you could get something even more powerful than that, like a 6800(xt) 16gb build with a 5800x3d which would beat the PS5 in all scenarios

of course, not everyone can afford that, and the PS5 offers a level of convenience gaming on PC wouldn't match, plus better optimized ports on Day 1. Which is why this whole "ports to PC devalues the PS5" narrative is dumb.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What about pc exclusives, mods, emulation, no sub for online play and cheaper games 🤔.
exclusives - If you mean old games, then yeah. I can and want to paly hl2 on pc. not interested in any modern pc exclusives
mods - I don't care for 95% of the cases
no online sub - cheaters

Of course pc gives you more options. Nobody doubts that

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I wouldn't consider anything below 4080 a pc worth owning over a ps5 honestly... and 4080 alone is 1400$
Otherwise.... ok 3090, 3080 (only 12gb version) and some other stuff is still perfectly fine. But to get a real leg up and above ps5 quality, 4080 with dlss3 is the way to go.
Of course still good Oled tv and HDR. Otherwise I don't care if the game is 1000fps... if it's played on a shitty ips monitor

frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

Fabieter

exclusives - If you mean old games, then yeah. I can and want to paly hl2 on pc. not interested in any modern pc exclusives
no online sub - cheaters

Yea there aint alot of big exclusives anymore, but pc has an insane amount of indie games which never make it over, alot of them getting on pc released first.

Yea but those 5% are worth it. There are mods like enderal which basically give you a new game.

You know that most mp games are crossplay with pc these days, that means you pay for online and still play with cheaters.

K' Dash

I would suggest you wait and see the requirements at least. It's possible that the requirements are SSDs with high end CPUs.

Some of the level switching was simple like you said. They probably stored the data in VRAM and switched back and forth but the setpieces was loading entire levels that even the PS5 SSD couldnt switch immediately and took 2-4 seconds to load while they sent you flying through portals. Now, again some of that you could preload and store in vram, but then you run the risk of making the game inaccessible to everyone with under 8GB of vram.

I am not saying they didnt lie. Lord knows my disappointment with their Spiderman 2 downgrade from the original reveal. I am just saying lets wait and see the specs at least.
I mean, if they run the game on old ass PCs with old ass HDDs it’s going to be hilarious.

geary

no online sub - cheaters

Darkest Dungeon 2, Homeworld 3, TW:W3 and Pharoah, Sons of the Forest 2, Outlast Trials, Company of Heroes 3 says Hello!

Well it undoubtedly changes things. For any player that is satisfied with PC and not in a hurry to try PS games, the simple fact of knowing that, yes, a game will be available down the road is sufficient. And then again, who cares about selling more consoles anyway ? Sony don't make more money by selling a PS5 if in the end they sell the exact same number of games to that person. The console itself most probable doesn't generate a significant profit.

Console sales provide significant revenue flow for the division. Which, while not being profit, is still very, very important.

I found this to be pretty mediocre and quite a tedious platinum, but I'm very curious to see the performance and how it fares on different hard drives. I remember at launch time you were jumped on if you expressed the opinion that it wasn't next gen in terms of using the rifts etc. now we will finally see if that was justified.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
We are talking about gaming.
And I consider ultrawide an unplayable nonsense, so that's not for me if you want to pitch it lol :p
Mods... yeah I know but I rarely use mods

Yes, we’re talking about gaming.

You should know the PS5 library is a tiny fraction of what the PC offers.
PlayStation players always act like it’s an apples to apples comparison, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Top Bottom