• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Review - Cutting Edge Tech But Lacking In Polish

Zathalus

There are bugs and even cheap deaths in this game, none of which were picked up by DF.
I agree that bugs exist but I had no issues on my playthrough on PS5.

Also, two different people covered each version, Alex did the PC version and he is way harsher then John.

PaintTinJr

Page 54-62

ioTime–– From first DirectStorage request for an asset until decompression completes on the GPU.

X1 asset is roughly 350MB in size and the ioTime is 17ms.

Commandmodule asset is roughly 3.5GB in size and the ioTime is 160ms.

Some other objects have times as low as 7ms in the video but no size is given.

So roughly 4-5ms to go from requesting the asset to completing the decompression process for a 100MB file.

Why did you settle on 2ms for 100MB? I don't recall anything from the PS5 deep dive that mentions that, but I could be wrong.

That includes the entire process and not just the check-in time, so that would obviously be lower.

Specs are:

7900X
RX 7900 XTX
Nanite on PS5 - going by memory of Epic technical info IIRC - completes streaming of 180MB data pool and the nanite render pass in less than 2-3ms at 1440p, hence why I said 2ms.

Senua

Its funny how the PC has gone from the Master Race to know being a poor mans PS5
Now that's just crazy talk!

talking bart simpson GIF

That test doesn't just do one large file. It is 512 models and 2560 textures of different sizes that get transferred. It amounts to almost 9GB getting transferred in a third of a second.

BulkLoadDemo-timeline.png

You can also read the API documentation yourself, it is far more complex then just simple decompression:

Getting to grips with a new API like this while porting a game not initially designed for PC in around 6 months is not easy. It took years for developers to start feeling comfortable with DX12 and Vulkan.

You are taking a 3% loading difference on the very first game that is utilising this technology and assuming this is the best a PC with DirectStorage can do. A game that is so buggy that it frequently crashes, lacks basic features such as properly implemented screen space reflections and had to be patched in the first week to implement something incredibly basic as anisotropic filtering.
You are talking to someone who has no interest in facts and simply wants to push an agenda.
You can't reason with him using logic and evidence. He doesn't care.
Forspoken the first DS title loads faster than the console platform.

Last edited:
Your graph and your numbers still sound like you are focused on the 9GBs part, when it is the question of how long does it take to do the equivalent of nanite on ps5 - Epic's numbers were 2ms to supply a 100 or 200MB continuously IIRC.

Judging by your graph the DirectStorage overhead is 8.05ms just to reach the beginning of a transfer, and despite the large data transfer/check-in for 1/3sec, all that white space looks like critical path inefficiency, unless I'm mistaken.

My assertion is that the critical path on PC with the current OS fixes like DirectStorage and discrete memory for CPU and GPU thrashing PCIe busses in game random streaming will have real problems matching the IO complex's critical path efficiency.

Nanite doesn't do fast streaming, this has been debunked by Unreal Engine engineers so many times. Yet you keep spreading this misinformation.

Mr Moose Mr Moose

The Valley of the ancient demo and the Matrix demo had more texture files than the Lumen in the Land of nanite demo and worked perfectly fine on PC even WITHOUT DirectStorage.

And engineers rans Lumen in the Land of nanite on their PC without DirectStorage or fast SSD.

They also specifically said you don't need a PS5, fast ssd or directStorage to run it. Just like the other UE5 demo. So bringing nanite into this discussion is an admission that someone is misinformed and are clearly pushing an agenda. Because what nanite is doing and what Rachet is doing are two completely different things.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Mr Moose Mr Moose

The Valley of the ancient demo and the Matrix demo had more texture files than the Lumen in the Land of nanite demo and worked perfectly fine on PC even WITHOUT DirectStorage.

And engineers rans Lumen in the Land of nanite on their PC without DirectStorage or fast SSD.

They also specifically said you don't need a PS5, fast ssd or directStorage to run it. Just like the other UE5 demo. So bringing nanite into this discussion is an admission that someone is misinformed and are clearly pushing an agenda. Because what nanite is doing and what Rachet is doing are two completely different things.
I might be misunderstanding what you are meaning with this, but Nanite does rely on fast streaming.
Nanite doesn't do fast streaming, this has been debunked by Unreal Engine engineers so many times. Yet you keep spreading this misinformation.
Since Nanite relies on the ability to rapidly stream mesh data from disk on demand. Solid State Drives (or SSDs) are recommended for runtime storage.

OverHeat

« generous god »
because you forked thousands for a ticket to stuttterrr land on 99% of the new games.

and now trying to feel good about it by looking for wins against a 3years old $400 console.
Not looking for wins since it’s a pc that’s work related, enjoy your 400$ toy, boy. If you settle for less good for you

Last edited:

damidu

Not looking for wins since it’s a pc that’s work related, enjoy 400$ toy, boy. If you settle for less good for you
lol, don’t worry about me.
go harass some devs online, so maybe you don’t get to settle for subpar ports every other week.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
AzMz4eP.jpg

Just for fluidity and IQ my pc rip it a new one… and I have 2 PlayStation 5 btw…

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Third planet is a mess for me even after the update. Everything was fine until this point but now it's a mess. What have you done Nixxes?
The game is maxed out and no matter what I change in the settings I have the same result. Config in Youtube description.

Probably gonna be fixed in a week or two but still...

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So, in short. PlayStation 5 is a beast and offers the ultimate experience when it comes to Ratchet and Clank. Good to know.
Medium/high aettings instead of very high except for textures, worse IQ, worse frame rate, no RT AO and Shadows, not ultrawide, no mouse+kb without obligatory aim assist for baddies that can't aim... Sure, Jam.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Medium/high aettings instead of very high except for textures, worse IQ, worse frame rate, no RT AO and Shadows, not ultrawide, no mouse+kb without obligatory aim assist for baddies that can't aim... Sure, Jam.

You have clearly no fucking idea. Have you even seen it on a OLED? How is the fps “worse” when runs like it intended to run? Who cares about mouse+kb. Games like this plays best with controller. Haptic alone shits over m/k in this game.

You should be happy that Sony is bringing real games to the pc right now instead of playing a bunch of early access titles with your overprices pc.

Last edited:

Senua

You have clearly no fucking idea. Have you even seen it on a OLED? How is the fps “worse” when runs like it intended to run? Who cares about mouse+kb. Games like this plays best with controller. Haptic alone shits over m/k in this game.
Well obviously if you have a beefy enough PC you'll have a much higher average framerate, also PC gamers can't use OLED panels?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Well obviously if you have a beefy enough PC you'll have a much higher average framerate, also PC gamers can't use OLED panels?

The fps is unlocked if you enable 120hz on the PS5. Let’s not pretend right now that the game on pc looks completely different. They look the same as we’ve seen in every comparison. Those few RT enhancements aren't really present or noticeable during gameplay.

Sure they can use OLED panels…..if they have some money left.

Last edited:
The fps is unlocked if you enable 120hz on the PS5. Let’s not pretend right now that the game on pc looks completely different. They look the same as we’ve seen in every comparison. Those few RT enhancements aren't really present or noticeable during gameplay.

120hz mode is 40fps on PS5. I've played it on both, my PS5 and my 4090 PC rig. Playing in DLAA mode, DLSS3 Frame Gen (averaging about 100fps), no upscaling, maxed out settings, is a site to behold. The PS5 can't touch it. Stop with the foolery.

Last edited:

Senua

There's a nice IQ boost with DLAA and obviously with a 4090 for example, you can have both super high framerates AND very high IQ, unlike with the PS5 you have to choose between the two. And yes some gaming enthusiasts spend a lot on their tech, many of these super rig owners own all consoles and a super mega OLED too. I'm jelly!

120hz mode is 40fps on PS5. I've played it on both, my PS5 and my 4090 PC rig. Playing in DLAA mode, DLSS3 Frame Gen (averaging about 100fps), no upscaling, maxed out settings, is a site to behold. The PS5 can't touch it. Stop with the foolery.
40fps is the fidelity mode in 120hz, IIRC you can unlock the framerate in performance mode and it goes up to 90-100fps

Last edited:
Third planet is a mess for me even after the update. Everything was fine until this point but now it's a mess. What have you done Nixxes?
The game is maxed out and no matter what I change in the settings I have the same result. Config in Youtube description.

Probably gonna be fixed in a week or two but still...

Looks like the brush textures are not loading at all, (besides the other errors) usually the "pink" means no texture. I'm sure they will fix it. I don't have it installed yet, just waiting for a few more patches.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

It does not. You are just trying to justify your overprices GPU, with in general minimal difference on both platforms. Fact that you still need help of DLAA or DLSS says enough.

No i’m not at pc hater, im a pc gamer and console gamer myself, but this is just defending your thousands of dollar pc and yet it plays the same on PS5.

Senua

It does not. You are just trying to justify your overprices GPU, with in general minimal difference on both platforms. Fact that you still need help of DLAA or DLSS says enough.

No i’m not at pc hater, im a pc gamer and console gamer myself, but this is just defending your thousands of dollar pc and yet it plays the same on PS5.
What do you mean the help of DLAA? There's no performance benefit to DLAA, in fact it's quite costly, but gives superb image quality. DLSS is the upscaler not DLAA

rsouzadk

Since when tech like dlss/dlaa that improves your iq or fps is a bad thing? Like.. what is wrong in using it? It is like say bad things on ssd for ps5 just cause it makes games like this possible. "RC RA it is only like this cause ps5 and insomniac and this and that". That is so ridiculous.

Last edited:

Senua

Since when tech like dlss/dlaa that improves your iq or fps is a bad thing? Like.. what is wrong in using it? It is like say bad things on ssd for ps5 just cause it makes games like this possible. "RC RA it is only like this cause ps5 and insomniac and this and that". That is so ridiculous.
He's a funny sausage isn't he

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

But but "my 4090 rig" needing to say that comparing with PS5 sound a bit sad imo. It's not like his 4090 is changing the game experience or something if the PS5 version is already somehow perfect.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Looks like the brush textures are not loading at all, (besides the other errors) usually the "pink" means no texture. I'm sure they will fix it. I don't have it installed yet, just waiting for a few more patches.
Those are the normal textures (the pink ones), it's how it's supposed to look in this planet.

PaintTinJr

The problem comes from people relying on opinion as definitive fact. Which is odd, because in this day and age PSNR can be actually measured against an ideal reference image in situations like this faceoff.

The problem with features that use Deep Learning/AI inference is that they actually introduce mistakes- that look credible -which if measured in a mathematically correct way in PSNR would register as noise.

As for this particular game, the problem with the IQ is that the PS5 texturing is of the highest quality because of the low latency of the IO Complex, and comparing a high-end PC version in motion with all those other bells and whistles but inferior textures against a static PC shot with all the bells and whistles and highest textures, and then measuring the PS5 PSNR against that same idealised reference image, it is very likely that the higher quality texturing contributes more to IQ and higher PSNR, than the bells and whistles with lesser textures, and maybe even exacerbated by the DL features running on top of lower texturing.

In some of the comparison shots I also thought that the geometry looked to be marginally scaling with the texture quality too, although that might be a full or partial side effect of the PC using a slightly more accurate depth buffer with slightly improved draw distance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom