• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart peaks at less than 9k concurrent players on Steam, third worst PC launch for PlayStation game

Klosshufvud

You have to take into consideration the passive income that Steam releases make for. This will go on sale for years to come and will probably reach the top 10 charts when doing so. But regardless, yes the game is way too late and way too overpriced to make a decent splash on PC. It should've been a 30-40 dollar title. Not a ridiculous 70 dollar one. Also want to add the game is an absolute blast and gameplay wise the best R&C has been. Writing is poor though.

I don't quite understand this need to port everything to PC Sony now has. I guess an Exec somewhere made the decision, therefore regardless of game it now happens. Out of all games out there R&C took advantage of the PS5 features the most, hence the difficulty porting it seen in OP requiring specific hardware to not run horribly. And the genre is not popular on PC as pointed out before.
It made sense temporarily as PS5 sales were maxed out during Covid times, but ever since they should go back to trying to max PS5 sales instead of spending money and effort and possibly even coming out with a loss porting all games to PC.

And still the one port that would make most sense, Bloodborne, is nowhere to be seen.

Senua

Bb is not a big seller. I believe it did 2 million and then bottomed out. I remember buying it for $6.99 just a couple of years after launch on psn. The order was $4.99 so that should tell you that it was not a non seller despite the internet hype.

Demon souls took a full year to sell 1.3 million on ps5 to 20 million ps5 buyers. Ratchet sold 1 million in just a month. Very poor attach ratio for both but ratchet sold faster. Nixxes was already doing the Spider-Man ports and likely found it easier to port ratchet than start from scratch on another engine. Especially since they are set to work on spiderman 2 next.

People don’t understand that ds and bb were not huge sellers on ps consoles. Bb is over 8 years old and ds didn’t exactly light the charts on fire. I think sackboy over ds is a weird choice but returnal, miles, tlou, Horizon, gow and Spider-Man all make perfect sense to me. Returnal is a pc genre game that should’ve been a success but Sony didn’t realize that pc gamers don’t spend $60 on these rogue likes. Tlou was done by nd internally because they were making factions which was supposed to be a day one game on PC. And nixxes is the best porting studio porting their best selling franchise. Ratchet was a mistake and they should’ve moved on to porting Spider-Man 2 immediately last year but they probably didn’t want to risk a backlash if they got it out Day one.
Souls games sell extremely well on PC

Ozriel

M$FT
Bb is not a big seller. I believe it did 2 million and then bottomed out. I remember buying it for $6.99 just a couple of years after launch on psn. The order was $4.99 so that should tell you that it was not a non seller despite the internet hype.

Demon souls took a full year to sell 1.3 million on ps5 to 20 million ps5 buyers. Ratchet sold 1 million in just a month. Very poor attach ratio for both but ratchet sold faster. Nixxes was already doing the Spider-Man ports and likely found it easier to port ratchet than start from scratch on another engine. Especially since they are set to work on spiderman 2 next.

People don’t understand that ds and bb were not huge sellers on ps consoles. Bb is over 8 years old and ds didn’t exactly light the charts on fire. I think sackboy over ds is a weird choice but returnal, miles, tlou, Horizon, gow and Spider-Man all make perfect sense to me. Returnal is a pc genre game that should’ve been a success but Sony didn’t realize that pc gamers don’t spend $60 on these rogue likes. Tlou was done by nd internally because they were making factions which was supposed to be a day one game on PC. And nixxes is the best porting studio porting their best selling franchise. Ratchet was a mistake and they should’ve moved on to porting Spider-Man 2 immediately last year but they probably didn’t want to risk a backlash if they got it out Day one.

Elden Ring might well have significantly expanded the market for these ‘Souls’ games, so it’s worth a shot going with Bloodborne.

Not sure what impact Demon Souls PS3 version being playable at 4K on emulation might have on a Steam port.

but Spiderman sells like crazy..

Not on PC, though.

Ginzeen

Banned
It's crazy how people are trash talking such a good game that more then likely got pirated it up the wazoo.

For all the port begging pc players do, they sure are ungrateful.
This isn't really a game that pc players wanted tho. It's a platformer game, and it's just ratchet and clank.

willothedog

Sony sitting on potential goldmines of Demons' Souls and Bloodborne but releases this.

It's not a bad game by any means, but does it sell a lot even on PlayStation? Especially by Sony first party standards? It's an old short single player game with a small fan base. I don't think these numbers are particularly bad all things considered.
Those are not first party and probably legal reasons why the cannot.

Not surprizing. Ratchet is a pretty low profile IP outside the playstation circle. Whats surprizing to me is how bad Returnal sold on PC since PC gamers are usually all over rogue-like games. And Returnal had God tier gameplay.
PC gamers have hit a point where the term rogue like causes an insta skip on the discovery queue for half the population. Rogue likes have been growing more and more stale since their heyday when boi rebirth launched

Also, I will say, of all the "next gen" nonsense we have been hearing in the current era, this game is the only one that has really, sincerely impressed me.

It has also convinced me that "next gen" requires too much effort and we are well into the diminishing returns phase of development.

PS2 was the sweet spot for development costs to game ratio IMHO.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Those are not first party and probably legal reasons why the cannot.

Isn't Sony the publisher of both, and publisher decides where to publish or not? And Demons Souls remake was developed by Sony only (bluepoint)- definition of first party?

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Release a game that people want to buy and people will buy it.

This is simply not a game I'd believe a ton of people to be interested in.
Kind of kid-friendly based on an old IP that didn't have that many fans to begin with.

Not sure what people were expecting, PC platform has a much higher average gamer age (last thing I recall was 33 years or so?) and that reflects in the titles that do well.
Can't imagine a Ratchet & Clank title being super interesting to a lot of 30+ year olds.

nbkicker

Can understand , played this on ps5 and thought it was just ok, even though 100% everything, still felt a shorter game then past r&c, deffently not the best r&c game ive played, wouldnt be buying again to play on pc, only way id be playing a sony exclusive game on pc again would be if it was upgraded visually, which this isnt

willothedog

Isn't Sony the publisher of both, and publisher decides where to publish or not? And Demons Souls remake was developed by Sony only (bluepoint)- definition of first party?
It depends on the terms of the publishing contract between the publisher and the author/content creator. These terms could include rights to distribution, reproduction, translation, and other usage.

I played R&C on ps5 when it hit the higher tier ps plus recently and it was a decent enough experience.

It looked great, but it's not really my kind of game and I can understand why, graphics aside, it hasn't had much interest.

Saber

Gold Member
It sells for 29$ right now. Text book bad optics when they launch it on PC at full price.

I pre-ordered it for 40 (cdkeys), so I don't feel too bad.

Is it difficult to find those games at that price? The impression I got from people is that those games are expansive and theres no way around it.
PS store is kinda garbage in terms of discounts(at least from my experience), since if a game is discounted at a fixed percent its likely to remain at the same discount on the next sale.

Holammer

Is it difficult to find those games at that price? The impression I got from people is that those games are expansive and theres no way around it.
PS store is kinda garbage in terms of discounts(at least from my experience), since if a game is discounted at a fixed percent its likely to remain at the same discount on the next sale.
Not at all, there are a few, but I use CDKeys.com, it's reliable and they often have better discounts than Steam. Remnant 2 which is hot right now sells for 34,59€ for example.
Publishers can generate Steam keys for free and sell them to third party stores. Without Valve's 20-30% cut, there's plenty of leeway to drop prices.

Three

PlayStation should make their games day and date on PC. Like Xbox.
Do people honestly think this would have boosted concurrent users on steam for Ratchet that much? Take a look at steam concurrent users on similar smaller quirky day one single player games on xbox which had day one hype.

Hifi Rush, day one release on steam
6,100 concurrent users

Ratchet and Clank, 2 yrs late release on steam
8,700 concurrent users

Forespoken, day one release on steam
12,600 concurrent users.

Look at other multiplatform games like A Hat in Time which even released on Steam 2 months earlier than console:
7,300 Concurrent users

Look at Spyro Trilogy or Crash Trilogy too.

It's not going to make much difference for these small single player games. They would have had low concurrent users regardless. They're single player and already a smaller audience genre. I'll give you something though, the reception sure was different for one particular game which had even lower concurrent users than the rest.

Does rachet ever sell well? Never saw the appeal even on the ps2 days, loved spyro and everyone of insomnia games except the rachet series
For the genre that it's in it sells well enough. They wouldn't have kept doing it for IIRC 15 titles now if it weren't.

If we're using concurrent steam users like we are here it did better than Spyro. If Spyro is allowed to get a PC port then so is Crash, Ratchet, etc.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The problem is the price.
Launched on PC in imperfect condition(not bad, but should be better), 25 months after the PS5 release and they expect full price? no thanks.

- As usuall, Sony wants to charge a full price on PC for their 2 to 3 years old games.

- They do not release the games that people want, but games didn't sell well in their system and want to sell it to PC gamers. Outside from the 6 years old GOW and spider man( which they sold very well ).

They deserve it. Hope they lost money as in devs costs is more than sales profit.

Learn how NOT to be arrogant and give the gamers want they want. They are the people that put food on your table you retarded mfers. They want GOW 2, Bloodborne, Demon souls remake,

Not a shit port like your face of the last of us and have the nerve to call it a remake or multiplatformer than is decent at best

Someone at Sony think PC gamers are blinded Sony fanboys that buy anything Sony without using their brain. Must be that idiot Jimbo

You have to take into consideration the passive income that Steam releases make for. This will go on sale for years to come and will probably reach the top 10 charts when doing so. But regardless, yes the game is way too late and way too overpriced to make a decent splash on PC. It should've been a 30-40 dollar title. Not a ridiculous 70 dollar one. Also want to add the game is an absolute blast and gameplay wise the best R&C has been. Writing is poor though.

No one wants to pay full price for old games. Not sure why that’s so hard to figure out. Plus this wasn’t a particularly good R&C game to begin with…
This is the problem with pc market. The game was 70$ on ps5. It's 60$ on pc + steam takes the cut.
New game, better looking than anything else on pc. Essentially brand new to pc gamers. Why does it matter if it came out 2 years ago on pc? The development of pc version is a separate job.
how do you all want more good games if you are not willing to pay for them?

And don't lie to me.... you would drop 60$ for a Bloodborne port in a heartbeat. 2015 game.

Guilty_AI

This is the problem with pc market. The game was 70$ on ps5. It's 60$ on pc + steam takes the cut.
New game, better looking than anything else on pc. Essentially brand new to pc gamers. Why does it matter if it came out 2 years ago on pc? The development of pc version is a separate job.

And don't lie to me.... you would drop 60$ for a Bloodborne port in a heartbeat. 2015 game.
Because Bloodborne is a genuinely great game that people want to play.

R&C: Rift Apart is basically a distraction, something you play with half your brain turned off on a weekend. Paying as much for this as games like Elden Ring, Armored Core 6 or Baldurs Gate 3 is just not something the average pc player is willing to do.

Last edited:

Alphagear

PlayStation gamers live in a bubble where their games are all must haves.

On PC there’s simply better options for that $60.

I’m not touching Ratchet until it’s $30 or less. It’s the same exact game I’ve played the last three generations. For $60 I’d buy Remnant 2 or Baldur’s Gate 3 over it.

If they are better options why all the port begging in the past?

PC gamers will blame everything under the sun except believing how insignificant their market is.

Rampant with piracy and no one willing to pay full price for a game.

Waiting for sales or torrents.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because Bloodborne is a genuinely great game that people want to play.

R&C: Rift Apart is basically a distraction, something you play with half your brain turned off on a weekend. Paying as much for this as games like Elden Ring, Armored Core 6 or Baldurs Gate 3 is just not something the average pc player is willing to do.
That's a silly thing to say.
So what? games should cost based on your quality judgement ?
Rfit apart is 88 and Bloodborne is 92. How much $ difference is that?

I mean, of course I understand what you are saying but this is not the way. It's so flawed, my head hurts

Guilty_AI

That's a silly thing to say.
So what? games should cost based on your quality judgement ?
Rfit apart is 88 and Bloodborne is 92. How much $ difference is that?

I mean, of course I understand what you are saying but this is not the way. It's so flawed, my head hurts
Metacritic score is meaningless. Think of it as a product, what does R&C: RA offers that you can't get in other games? What are its biggest attractives? When you think of it on these terms you start seeing there isn't much in the game to justify its purchase over others in the market.

Naturally, as the price goes down, the possibility of buying based on less attractive factors, or on whims, increases proportionally.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Lol at looks better than anything on PC. What kind of fuckery goes into your brain 🧠???

And it does matter when a game is old. It's OLLDD. If PC gamers wanted this game so bad they would have bought a 400$ peasant console to play it.

Want your old 2 to 3 year game sell on PC ? Sure, either price it right according to the market, or release it day one. Do not treat PC gamers as a second class gamers when a set of 9 fans of lian li are probably 300$ which is 80% of what your whole console cost retail.

Do not charge a full price when the game can be bought for like 40$ and 30$ in lots of places ( physically too that you can resell back )

Garbage greedy practice . And PC gamers are telling them to fuck off. And now Sony is losing on these PC sales and they deserve it. I am happy.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If they are better options why all the port begging in the past?

PC gamers will blame everything under the sun except believing how insignificant their market is.

Rampant with piracy and no one willing to pay full price for a game.

Waiting for sales or torrents.

Port coping and exclusive begging are way more prevalent these days than port begging. Nobody cares about these games and the sales reflect that.

Insignificant market, yet despite having the best selling console game year after year jam packed with microstransactions Activision is still making more money on PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol at looks better than anything on PC. What kind of fuckery goes into your brain 🧠???

And it does matter when a game is old. It's OLLDD. If PC gamers wanted this game so bad they would have bought a 400$ peasant console to play it.

Want your old 2 to 3 year game sell on PC ? Sure, either price it right according to the market, or release it day one. Do not treat PC gamers as a second class gamers when a set of 9 fans of lian li are probably 300$ which is 80% of what your whole console cost retail.

Do not charge a full price when the game can be bought for like 40$ and 30$ in lots of places ( physically too that you can resell back )

Garbage greedy practice . And PC gamers are telling them to fuck off. And now Sony is losing on these PC sales and they deserve it. I am happy.
What game looks better on pc? This is one of most tech advanced games.
Or do you mean TLOU part 1?

Metacritic score is meaningless. Think of it as a product, what does R&C: RA offers that you can't get in other games? What are its biggest attractives? When you think of it on these terms you start seeing there isn't much in the game to justify its purchase over others in the market.

Naturally, as the price goes down, the possibility of buying based on less attractive factors, or on whims, increases proportionally.
I am not some big fan of this game. I disliked the 2016 shitty reboot.
But cmon man. You are saying platformers and shooters are not worth 60$ because you jump and shoot? Only sword swinging games with semi open world are worth 60$?
I got Rift Apart for 70$, had great 21 hours with it and yeah. That's it. I might replay it.
Some cool platforming, shooting, many different weapons, portals, graphics. That's why you play it. Sure it's not any ground breaking game but it's fine.

I have Bloodborne on PS5 (can’t remember how, either through Plus, Extra or that old collection thing) - played it for five minutes, not for me. Even for free. I will keep my $60 thanks.

Also R&C is absolutely not ‘better looking than anything else on PC’. Your Sony glasses are misleading you.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have Bloodborne on PS5 (can’t remember how, either through Plus, Extra or that old collection thing) - played it for five minutes, not for me. Even for free. I will keep my $60 thanks.

Also R&C is absolutely not ‘better looking than anything else on PC’. Your Sony glasses are misleading you.
what looks better aside from other sony games on pc?
Cmno man. It looks like a pixar movie.
Don't tell me you will answer with modded kingdom come and star citizen or I will kill myself.

edit: obviously Ratchet is a game pc gamers with new hardware would love to check out their 4090s on. I would.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I am not some big fan of this game. I disliked the 2016 shitty reboot.
But cmon man. You are saying platformers and shooters are not worth 60$ because you jump and shoot? Only sword swinging games with semi open world are worth 60$?
I got Rift Apart for 70$, had great 21 hours with it and yeah. That's it. I might replay it.
Some cool platforming, shooting, many different weapons, portals, graphics. That's why you play it. Sure it's not any ground breaking game but it's fine.
Thats the point. Its 'fine', thats all. If we're talking about shooters, why would someone pick this over Remnant 2? Over Risk of Rain 2, Neon White or Boltgun for a fraction of the price? Resident Evil 4?

There's too much competition, even if its a 'fine' game there are tons of similar games out there that are more than just 'fine', and can be purchased for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
60€ for a game 2 year old always on sale at 30€ on PS5... What a joke.

Maybe im going to buy it next year when its going to be at -50% on Steam...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thats the point. Its 'fine', thats all. If we're talking about shooters, why would someone pick this over Remnant 2? Over Risk of Rain 2, Neon White or Boltgun for a fraction of the price? Resident Evil 4?

There's too much competition, even if its a 'fine' game there are tons of similar games out there that are more than just 'fine', and can be purchased for a fraction of the price.
I couldn't disagree more.
Mario? WEll you just jump.
gta and rdr games that rockstar always port year later to pc? You just walk around and shoot.

Dude, remnant, boltgun are indie games. ror2 is years old by now and also an indie game. Re4 came out few month ago. Don't see how it stands in a way of ratchet.

It's a game like no other on pc. You can't say "get remnant 2 because shooting is better". are you out of your mind ?!

Guilty_AI

Dude, remnant, boltgun are indie games. ror2 is years old by now and also an indie game. Re4 came out few month ago. Don't see how it stands in a way of ratchet.
They get in they way because they're cheaper and have certain attractors Rift Apart doesn't have (like multiplayer).

And calling Remnant 2 an 'indie' is like calling Returnal an indie.

remnant-2-2-64873a7daf119.jpg

It's a game like no other on pc. You can't say "get remnant 2 because shooting is better". are you out of your mind ?!
It is very much a game like any other. There's nothing special about it, its an easy third person shooter with bare-minimum platforming elements.

Rather, why do you think people should spend $60 and and their time on it over other games they're interested in? Whats so "unlike anything else" about it? And don't say portals because we all know thats just an on-rails gimmick by now that barely affects the game other than eye-candy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom