• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart peaks at less than 9k concurrent players on Steam, third worst PC launch for PlayStation game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You are really underestimating art direction and design choices mate. Just put a helmet into a formless body never worked.

Much better let players made they own character creation rather than giving us a souless character design. Even one of us can make a human body wearing a helmet design.
I mean ugly or not, REST 99% OF THE GAME IS OWRTH PLAYING EVEN IF YOU RAN AROUND AS YOUR MOM

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean,
h2we2m1z8fb81.jpg

leonard nimoy dat ass GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People like and want to see pretty people in their entertainment. Beauty sells and so does sex, it's just a fact of life.
Yeah that's why Tetris and Minecraft are the best selling games of all time. Alex after all is the peak of feminine beauty
w3J2v6H.png

It's also why Dead or Alive is currently outselling Tekken in copies and mindshare, because of all the jiggle physics and big boobed girls..... OH WAIT.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PC gamers will blame everything under the sun except believing how insignificant their market is.

Rampant with piracy and no one willing to pay full price for a game.
Steam has 1 billion accounts and 130 monthly active users. If piracy were so common on PC no one would make a Steam account at all.

Insignificant my ass

Rubim

Yeah that's why Tetris and Minecraft are the best selling games of all time. Alex after all is the peak of feminine beauty
w3J2v6H.png

It's also why Dead or Alive is currently outselling Tekken in copies and mindshare, because of all the jiggle physics and big boobed girls..... OH WAIT.
NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

Your welcome.

Last edited:

Del_X

Sony needs Play Anywhere , or day-and-date with PS5, or a decent discount if they're going to release 18-24 months later. PC gamers are not clamoring for their B-tier titles at full price.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sony needs Play Anywhere , or day-and-date with PS5, or a decent discount if they're going to release 18-24 months later. PC gamers are not clamoring for their B-tier titles at full price.
They are launching a single player game without any advertising, sales aren't going to be anywhere as front loaded as a regular release, it will sell at lower price points over time.

Boss Mog

w3J2v6H.png

I don't know if you're actually serious with that comment or just posting in bad faith. Minecraft is targeted at kids, Returnal is not.

Tekken has plenty of attractive female characters so again are you posting in bad faith or just not very bright?

Griffon

ITT people misunderstanding what concurrent players mean on Steam.
Concurrent players are not monthly and not even daily amount of users, it's simultaneous players at the very minute. It says nothing about the real total amount of players on any given day.

For a short single player game, 8K is excellent, and means a hell of a lot of game sales.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ITT people misunderstanding what concurrent players mean on Steam.
Concurrent players are not monthly and not even daily amount of users, it's simultaneous players at the very minute. It says nothing about the real total amount of players on any given day.

For a short single player game, 8K is excellent, and means a hell of a lot of game sales.

And by short we mean it's a 12-hour single-player game if you just want to play the story.

What, Returnal bombed? That game looked great and seemed like a good fit fot the PC audience. Was it the difficulty turning people off?

I'm sad now.
Well think of it this way, I'll use myself as an example.

I'm one of the biggest PS fans out there and buy nearly every first party game, but I didn't buy Returnal.

I would group Returnal and Sackboy with Rachet and Clank in similar category of something along the lines of lower tier first party games. Not in the sense of quality but more of like the gameplay loop and how complex they are in terms of narrative and overall things you can do.

Helldivers 2 seems like it'll be along these lines. Games that are more gameplay centric and play more like older titles. That just isn't where the popularity lies these days. They certainly are not the same as Uncharted, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy, etc.

Edit: Now I played Rachet and Clank and thought it was pretty cool and looked incredible though I wasn't the biggest fan of the full purple colored levels. But it's definitely aimed at younger audiences and it really isn't the most fun to play.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
good, hopefully it drops to 0 and all Sony games remains exclusive on Playstation once again
I honesty don't get why people care. more sales = more money to make sequels better. yea PC gamers will say it's not worth owning a ps5 but i'm over that console was BS. Nintendo should do the same.

Last edited:

poppabk

No. No it doesn’t mean that. Game length isn’t also the issue since this is day 1, peak CCUs being discussed.
But day 1 means not that much for a two year old single player game launching with no advertising.

Ozriel

M$FT
Great decission to bring more PS Games to the PC Jimbo

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

It’s actually a great decision. They’ve been posting pretty decent revenues from PC sales.

Spiderman Remastered, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War all sold decently and wouldn’t have cost crazy amount of money to port.

All they need to do is review their strategy. A GT7 port for example would do very well…I’d have expected them to have it in the works for release ahead of Forza Motorsport, but alas.

Sleepwalker

This game just isn't very good IMO. It is insane graphically but its just alright, not something id ever consider double dipping for after playing on PS5. Good showcase for the new console, decent enough gameplay, ok story and characters.

If you look at the list in OP, The things PC players want from Sony are the big hitters, release TLOUII, GT7, Ragnarok, Demon's souls and Forbidden west, watch the player count grow like crazy.

But that's not Sony's strategy and that's ok, im sure they didnt expect this to be a super big release.

What makes no sense to me is they ported MLB: The Show to literally all the consoles but not PC, theres no baseball game on PC and they couldve gotten extra sales and MTX from that.

Last edited:

poppabk

‘Day 1’ in this case meaning the day it’s supposed to have its biggest sale. Front loaded at release date.
Right, but a two year old single player game without advertising at full price isn't really going to be that front loaded. There is no FOMO, no hype, you aren't going to be left behind, no worry about online going dead, no pressure at all to have to jump in now.

This game just isn't very good IMO. It is insane graphically but its just alright, not something id ever consider double dipping for after playing on PS5. Good showcase for the new console, decent enough gameplay, ok story and characters.

If you look at the list in OP, The things PC players want from Sony are the big hitters, release TLOUII, GT7, Ragnarok, Demon's souls and Forbidden west, watch the player count grow like crazy.

But that's not Sony's strategy and that's ok, im sure they didnt expect this to be a super big release.

What makes no sense to me is they ported MLB: The Show to literally all the consoles but not PC, theres no baseball game on PC and they couldve gotten extra sales and MTX from that.
Yeah, playing it on my ps5 right now and tbh it’s a good showcase for the fast loading times and dual sense features, but other than that it’s a pretty braindead experience. I was gonna get it on PC but since I haven’t moved my set up across countries yet I decided to try it on ps5 and yeah, seeing that this port also comes with a bunch of port issues, imma stick with the RT performance mode on my console and just finish it there.

Goalus

Ten days after release it ranks next to Cyberpunk in the global topsellers list. The latter is a highly successful game, so all things considered I'd say it is a remarkable performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ten days after release it ranks next to Cyberpunk in the global topsellers list. The latter is a highly successful game, so all things considered I'd say it is a remarkable performance.

3pAJ04j.gif

What drugs are you on my guy?
Cyberpunk on Steam alone got to 800,000 concurrent, thats not counting GOG.
Rift Apart barely made 8,000

Even if we look at current players of which Cyberpunk is now an almost 3 year old game.
Its far far from remarkable.....unless you mean remarkably bad, for a AAA launch.

AY8sXbJ.png

Holammer

Finished the game last night, 'twas a fun romp and I'll play NG+ (or "Challenge Mode" as they call it) again with settings maxed out when Battlemage comes out, or if I grab a 4070.
Played it on a lowly 1080 and it gave me a pretty damn solid 1440/60 throughout at medium settings. The exception was Torren IV, after the Fixer boss fight the framerate takes a hit.

EC7DA939A577A4767AE41F044631E27EC072AD06

winjer

Gold Member

Ratchet and Clank sold around 100k on Steam. This is not a lot for a AAA game.
CP2077 sold millions.
They are not even in the same ballpark.

Hudo

Man, so many angry people in this thread. I thought it's a good thing that more people can potentially play (and maybe even turn to be fans of) Sony's IPs. And you can still play these games on your PS5 without the "hassle of the PC", so to speak. No one is "losing" anything.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam charts are official yes but they hold back the pc community just let them play.

DeathGuise

Selling old ports at full price isn't really a good way to get initially impressive sales. It will sell well during sales.

Slightly off topic--- GoW was an amazingly optimized port.

Top Bottom