• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces FSR 3.1

winjer

Gold Member

Introducing AMD FSR 3.1 with Improved Upscaling Quality

Announced today at our GDC 2024 “High Performance Rendering in Snowdrop Using AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3)” presentation, AMD FSR 3.1 will have some significant improvements, new capabilities, and updates:

• Upscaling image quality improvements:
    • Improved temporary stability at rest and in movement – less flickering and/or shimmering and “Fizziness” around objects in motion.
    • Ghosting reduction and better preservation of detail.
  • Decoupling FSR 3 upscaling from frame generation:
    • Allows FSR 3.1 frame generation technology to work with other upscaling solutions.
  • New AMD FidelityFX API:
    • Makes it easier for developers to debug and allows forward compatibility with updated versions of FSR.
  • Vulkan® and Xbox Game Development Kit (GDK) support.
AMD FSR 3.1 will be available for developers on GPUOpen in Q2 and will be coming to games later this year.

AMD FSR 3.1 Upscaling Quality Improvement Examples

The first announced game to be getting AMD FSR 3.1 is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart from Insomniac Games, Nixxes Software, and Sony Interactive Entertainment. The game update will add all the goodness of FSR 3.1, including decoupling frame generation from upscaling, so it can be used with the other upscaling solutions the game supports, and improvements to FSR temporal upscaling image quality. Below you can see examples from Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart that show some of the upscaling improvements of FSR 3.1.

TEMPORAL STABILITY
FSR2.2

large

FSR3.1
310x179

GHOSTING REDUCTION
FSR2.2

large

FSR3.1
large

These GIF examples were taken from video captures of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart running at 1080p using AMD FSR 2.2/3.1 Performance mode.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will be getting FSR 3.1 in a game update coming in later this year.

YCoCg

Before the usuals come in, no this won't be better than DLSS or XESS, AMD are working on a version of FSR that does use AI though, this seems to be a big improvement over the current method, which is funny because in the other threads most of us were confused why there's been radio silence for months, guess we know why.

Bojji

• Upscaling image quality improvements:
    • Improved temporary stability at rest and in movement – less flickering and/or shimmering and “Fizziness” around objects in motion.
    • Ghosting reduction and better preservation of detail.
  • Decoupling FSR 3 upscaling from frame generation:
    • Allows FSR 3.1 frame generation technology to work with other upscaling solutions.

Amazing, both things are great, especially ability to use DLSS with frame gen.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Whoa, those gifs look very promising, although the starting point was really bad so we will see about the end result and decoupling the upscaling from frame generation is great news for turing and ampere owners.

Last edited:
Interesting that this was also the game used for PSSR in the ps5 pro dev site leak.

I still wonder if the Sony solution is entirely original or built with AMD.

They work together of course. Some part of PSSR will be implemented in FSR for PC

Hopefully we get updates for current games like Alan wake 2, and which look absolutely horrible, to the point, I don’t understand why the devs used it in the first place.

LordOfChaos

so nothing to do w/ PSSR? i know they collaborate and all

It's probably going to be like MetalFX upscaling is my guess. The code base starts with FSR1 for performance mode because why reinvent the wheel, but quality mode is a unique version on top of it which uses Apple's neural engine, which AMD doesn't have.

PSSR will probably use a lot of the code for FSR since they also use AMD's architectures which is even more similar than Apple's different one, but with a dedicated neural engine like component built on top of it.

Last edited:

Allandor

Also available for Xbox sdk. Well maybe it has something to do with smaller int formats. This could also explain why ps sdk is not mentioned and the ps5 pro uses pssr.

But well just hope that it is better than the last "revelation" in form of fsr2. But I still dislike those upscaling tricks, as they (including DLSS and the xess) still introduce new artifacts.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Good job cause FSR2 really is a huge step back in temporal stability, it's worse image quality than PS4 games using TAA.

Monserrat

Banned
Nice, this seems like Frame generation for everyone. AMD does what nvida can't for 3000 and 2000 series users (even 1000 series it seems).

Ashamam

PSSR will probably use a lot of the code for FSR since they also use AMD's architectures which is even more similar than Apple's different one, but with a dedicated neural engine like component built on top of it.
The only thing that makes me doubt this is the Spectral aspect which may be novel. But generally yes MetalFX flies beneath the radar because, well Mac, but I think its an important data point in the whole upscaling landscape.

Full disclosure, I'm a mac user with M1 Max, hence my gaming is console focused. (although I have an Ally coming from a comp win so might be on that a bit if I dont sell it). But I've actually used MetalFX in NMS, and yes it was very impressive.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I hope developers go back and update their older games.

FSR 3 launched in Sept 2023 and only 40 games have it or will have it so far (a decent quantity, but not an onslaught of patches,) so I don't know what the official adoption rate will be. Maybe developers are waiting for this version to clean up the issues, or maybe it's just a burden to always patch the upscaler every six months or so. PC mods tend to seep out often, at least.

LordOfChaos

The only thing that makes me doubt this is the Spectral aspect which may be novel. But generally yes MetalFX flies beneath the radar because, well Mac, but I think its an important data point in the whole upscaling landscape.

Full disclosure, I'm a mac user with M1 Max, hence my gaming is console focused. (although I have an Ally coming from a comp win so might be on that a bit if I dont sell it). But I've actually used MetalFX in NMS, and yes it was very impressive.

Like I said it'll be different than FSR because it sounds like they'll have a dedicated neural engine type ML offload, but there's no sense in reinventing the wheel for a lot of the codebase being as they directly use AMD's GPUs, so it'll be like 1+1 with PSSR being an addition FSR doesn't have is my guess, just like how Apple does it and they don't even use AMD GPUs now

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That ghosting reduction is massive, but I wonder how the performance will be compared to FSR2; if they are just making it look better but it performs much worse, it wouldn't really be worth it.

Ashamam

Like I said it'll be different than FSR because it sounds like they'll have a dedicated neural engine type ML offload, but there's no sense in reinventing the wheel for a lot of the codebase being as they directly use AMD's GPUs, so it'll be like 1+1 with PSSR being an addition FSR doesn't have is my guess, just like how Apple does it and they don't even use AMD GPUs now
No by novel I mean it may be using techniques that are entirely different to what has been done in the space regardless of whether you are talking FSR or DLSS. I wonder for instance whether their recent acquisition in the video space may have contributed. It wouldn't be unusual for early work with a partner to turn into an acquisition once the tech proves out.

Not saying it does, just that we may not be seeing the whole picture.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Before the usuals come in, no this won't be better than DLSS or XESS, AMD are working on a version of FSR that does use AI though, this seems to be a big improvement over the current method, which is funny because in the other threads most of us were confused why there's been radio silence for months, guess we know why.
Well, FG from AMD is better than Nvidia's, I don't see why that would be a problem, but they could still be using AI in a different way, like internally in the development pipeline and compiling a AI-less program, they're most probably doing anyway (anyone is, including myself)

TheShocker

Cool. But FSR 3.0 has been out for a while and like 1 game in the console space uses it. And no 2.0+ games have had a Passover. I’m kinda over this console generation.

Top Bottom