• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FSR 3 Frame Generation Can Be Enabled In Any Game Supporting NVIDIA DLSS 3 With a New Free Mod

chaseroni

It's just so fucking blurry, I really still don't like the look of DLSS, even after all these updates. FSR is the same.

I just tried this mod myself on CP2077 and it's okay, but I'll wait to upgrade my PC and play at native res.
Backlog is insane right now anyways. The tech can always get better.

proandrad

It's just so fucking blurry, I really still don't like the look of DLSS, even after all these updates. FSR is the same.

I just tried this mod myself on CP2077 and it's okay, but I'll wait to upgrade my PC and play at native res.
Backlog is insane right now anyways. The tech can always get better.
What resolution do play at, because it been shown multiple times DLSS can provide a cleaner image than native.

chaseroni

What resolution do play at, because it been shown multiple times DLSS can provide a cleaner image than native.
In a still shot maybe, it happens at any resolution, move the camera at all and it blurs. I typically game on a CRT monitor so I’m spoiled by motion clarity.

proandrad

In a still shot maybe, it happens at any resolution, move the camera at all and it blurs. I typically game on a CRT monitor so I’m spoiled by motion clarity.
Can you provide an example, because I have seen FSR image quality drops big time with movement. But I haven't seen any motion clarity issues with dlss.

chaseroni

Can you provide an example, because I have seen FSR image quality drops big time with movement. But I haven't seen any motion clarity issues with dlss.
Sure, here's two quick screen grabs of a moving sign in cyberpunk.

s2tqVd5.png

eJNdSnh.png

I'm sure you can tell which is which.
DLSS - Quality, Frame Gen off

hlm666

Doesnt this cause latency?
It doesn't cause latency, but you don't get the latency reduction you would from the same framerate without frame gen. So if a game has a latency of 50ms at 30fps and 30ms at 60fps if you used frame gen to go from 30 to 60 your latency would still be 50ms, things like reflex helps a bit but it still wont match the real framerate latency, you might get it down to like 40ms with reflex and frame gen for example.

if your interested in input latency this channel has numerous videos on it although he doesn't cover FG.

omegasc

Would this work with Handhelds like the Legion Go and Rob Ally which have AMD embedded cards?

I came here to ask the same thing, except will it work with the deck OLED.
It currently requires an RTX card.

Also, new version is out, possibly enabling HDR.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Not in motion.
Of course - if native is also running TAA, you're not really getting 'native res' in motion to begin with.

Also people forget that CRT has about 4x vertical resolution advantage in motion over LCD/OLED (at 60hz). When you're starting from that far behind on 'modern panels', the temporal accumulation techniques are not really perceptually lossy.
But they are on a CRT (or proper low-persistence displays - eg. how godawful TAA can look in VR is hard to overstate).

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Sure, here's two quick screen grabs of a moving sign in cyberpunk.

s2tqVd5.png

eJNdSnh.png

I'm sure you can tell which is which.
DLSS - Quality, Frame Gen off
Interesting. Because leaving the sign to one side. Multiple objects on the DLSS shot look sharper. Shame you cant have the best of both worlds.

hlm666

Interesting. Because leaving the sign to one side. Multiple objects on the DLSS shot look sharper. Shame you cant have the best of both worlds.
If the whole image was in motion it would be worse, also if you look at the tree you can see haloing artifacts which some might confuse with better sharpness when in fact it is an artifact.

I use dlss when I need the performance (which is nearly all the time these days) but I can understand why people bounce off it and upscaling in general.

King Dazzar

If the whole image was in motion it would be worse, also if you look at the tree you can see haloing artifacts which some might confuse with better sharpness when in fact it is an artifact.

I use dlss when I need the performance (which is nearly all the time these days) but I can understand why people bounce off it and upscaling in general.
Yeah, I see what you mean. It looks a bit like one of the sharpening techniques my Sony TV has. I only play on the consoles these days. But generally I prefer a reconstructed upscale to a low native image. But then you get something like Cyberpunk using FSR and it looks decent at times and damn right ropey at others. It'll be interesting to see what Sony potentially do with their rumoured in house upscaling they are working on.

b0uncyfr0

I can confirm Luke's FSR2FSR3 mod works really well.

I'm seeing a 100% increase in frame rate and input lag is damn near native. The only major problem is the HUD, its a garbled mess in motion. The minor issues are less noticeable (ghosting, dark trails etc).

If playing on a big screen up close, then i think you might notice these issues but at 1440p/27" - FSR 3 is looking really good (and this is the 'unofficial' mod too)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Oh so an aliased fucking mess then

No form of temporal AA is complete shit to look at, raw 4K is crap.
I never said no AA. Obviously the reason TAA is so popular is the cost/benefit ratio, but to say we didn't loose in return is sticking head in the sand.

Anyway, on topic, I just hope this open source push gives others a kick in the nuts(Intel mainly, we know Nvidia will never budge) and we one day get broadly accessible frame extrapolation for our games. That will be an actual game changer.

Xdrive05

Bumping to confirm this is a life saver for us unwashed masses still rocking an RTX 3060 12GB!

Path Traced CP2077 is amazing when actually playable. Also does wonders for RTX Remix games like Portal RTX, which are VERY hard on an RTX card of this class.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I haven't played a game for which my 3080 needs it since this the mod came out, but will keep it in mind for when I do.

RobRSG

The most transformative game is TLOU Part I, but you need to use a “paid” mod to have the HUD working fine.

Bojji

Can someone explain if this will be good for me? I have a 6800 and a 5800x3d.

There is leaked mod for AMD GPUs, this mod is MAYBE better than driver implementation of FSR3 (it's in the newest AMD drivers) but still has many issues. FSR3, native in game implementation will always be the best.

Edit: its funny that I have exact same hardware, haha.

Newest version of mod is actually quite good in games supporting DLSS3, it basically replaces it with FSR3 and even solves UI problems

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm late to this, but just reinstalled The Witcher 3. I've got a 3080 and was getting maybe 40fps (not sure since I didn't have a frame counter on) with 4K DLSS RT on Balanced. Plugged in the universal Frame Gen mod, and it's a literal game changer. Looks so much smoother.

Please don't ruin my ignorance if frame gen actually diminishes video quality somehow because it looks great to me!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can't console games use this? I turned it on my rog ally and infinite wealth and it seemed to work quite well with some quirks. Why not turn this on the ps5 and xbox?

omegasc

Can't console games use this? I turned it on my rog ally and infinite wealth and it seemed to work quite well with some quirks. Why not turn this on the ps5 and xbox?
Because if it glitches a pixel to the left that it shouldn't, there will be riot and the dev or Sony or maybe both will be called lazy incompetents.

Edit real answer: games probably don't have memory left to have this injected without proper dev/patch.

Last edited:

Bojji

You need at least that 50fps for fsr3 according to AMD, so it would only be useful in 120hz modes. There is nothing stopping devs from doing it so I think we will see this implemented in some games.

When I had 4070ti native DLSS3 started to become GOOD with base 40fps, with frame gen and reflex I got 70fps output and could play cyberpunk with PT completely fine.

Under 40 fps it's useless.

Top Bottom